Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Slavery Reparations and 2020 - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Slavery Reparations and 2020 (/Thread-Slavery-Reparations-and-2020)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Slavery Reparations and 2020 - BengalHawk62 - 04-12-2019

What about the Slaves of Irish decent? Not all slaves were from Africa. Many came from Ireland too. What about those decedents?

RE: Slavery Reparations and 2020 - bfine32 - 04-12-2019

(04-12-2019, 05:47 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: What about the Slaves of Irish decent?  Not all slaves were from Africa.  Many came from Ireland too.  What about those decedents?

Free Beer?

BTW, is that racist?

RE: Slavery Reparations and 2020 - Benton - 04-12-2019

(04-12-2019, 05:01 PM)Dill Wrote: Totally agr-- wait . . . who gets the reparations then if we go that far back?  I'm witholding judgment till its clear whether the French owe me for how the Saxons suffered under William I.  Should be getting some land back . . . .

From what little I know of history, yes, you would be owed something. But they, likewise, would owe something. So the only fair way to do it would be to go back to the oldest cultures we can find, and the oldest family we can trace. And whoever that family is, we bill them. If they don't pay, we ... well... we send them to prison, where they can do manual labor for a couple dollars a day. We will pay their room and board though.

RE: Slavery Reparations and 2020 - Benton - 04-12-2019

(04-12-2019, 06:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Free Beer?

BTW, is that racist?

Just sexist. Only guys drink beer.

Mellow

RE: Slavery Reparations and 2020 - fredtoast - 04-12-2019

(04-12-2019, 05:47 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: What about the Slaves of Irish decent?  Not all slaves were from Africa.  Many came from Ireland too.  What about those decedents?

They were not chattel slaves.  They were just indentured servants.  Their culture and society was not destroyed by having their spouses and children sold away from them. 

RE: Slavery Reparations and 2020 - Dill - 04-12-2019

(04-12-2019, 06:29 PM)Benton Wrote: From what little I know of history, yes, you would be owed something. But they, likewise, would owe something. So the only fair way to do it would be to go back to the oldest cultures we can find, and the oldest family we can trace. And whoever that family is, we bill them. If they don't pay, we ... well... we send them to prison, where they can do manual labor for a couple dollars a day. We will pay their room and board though.

I think 1066 is far enough back.  I'm ok with the French going to prison if they don't pay.  LOL

RE: Slavery Reparations and 2020 - michaelsean - 04-12-2019

(04-12-2019, 08:52 PM)Dill Wrote: I think 1066 is far enough back.  I'm ok with the French going to prison if they don't pay.  LOL

Separate country at the time. Sorta. You’re going to have to find some Normans. ie the modern English. Or you could hit up Norway and Denmark.

(04-12-2019, 06:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Free Beer?

BTW, is that racist?

Good enough for me! :). Sign me up!

(04-12-2019, 06:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They were not chattel slaves.  They were just indentured servants.  Their culture and society was not destroyed by having their spouses and children sold away from them. 

Well I’m just looking out for my ancestors too. Not many people know about how terrible the Irish had it. I saw Gangs of New York.

RE: Slavery Reparations and 2020 - BmorePat87 - 04-12-2019

Irish slavery is a myth popularized in the 90's by a holocaust denier and perpetuated online by white supremacist groups. Irish historians completely dismiss this American made myth. 

RE: Slavery Reparations and 2020 - CJD - 04-12-2019

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/irish-slaves-early-america/

Indentured servants =/= slaves

RE: Slavery Reparations and 2020 - michaelsean - 04-12-2019

(04-12-2019, 10:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Irish slavery is a myth popularized in the 90's by a holocaust denier and perpetuated online by white supremacist groups. Irish historians completely dismiss this American made myth. 

All Irish slavery can be traced back to a dude named Jameson. He owns em all.

RE: Slavery Reparations and 2020 - Dill - 04-12-2019

(04-12-2019, 09:38 PM)tmichaelsean Wrote: Separate country at the time. Sorta. You’re going to have to find some Normans. ie the modern English.  Or you could hit up Norway and Denmark.

Not a separate country. Normandy was a duchy subject to Henry I; that they fought each other a couple times doesn't change that. That made the whole of England a Valois fiefdom. Or why did we need a Hundred Years War?  No! The French are clearly responsible.  Rant   Where is Arturo? Were you hoping we'd forget after 600 years? 

Norwegians never got beyond Stamford Bridge. But I am not against a claim against Denmark for the Danelaw. A little dangerous going back before 800 ad, though.   Nervous

RE: Slavery Reparations and 2020 - Beaker - 04-12-2019

(04-11-2019, 09:33 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: You race some good questions with this post
Hilarious

RE: Slavery Reparations and 2020 - Dill - 04-13-2019

(04-12-2019, 10:15 PM)michaelsean Wrote: All Irish slavery can be traced back to a dude named Jameson. He owns em all.

Maybe my wife can get reparations then. Where does he live?

RE: Slavery Reparations and 2020 - Benton - 04-13-2019

(04-13-2019, 12:06 AM)Dill Wrote: Maybe my wife can get reparations then. Where does he live?

https://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/en-EN/visit-us/jameson-distillery-midleton/jdm-our-home/jdm-plan-your-visit

RE: Slavery Reparations and 2020 - michaelsean - 04-15-2019

(04-12-2019, 11:18 PM)Dill Wrote: Not a separate country. Normandy was a duchy subject to Henry I; that they fought each other a couple times doesn't change that. That made the whole of England a Valois fiefdom. Or why did we need a Hundred Years War?  No! The French are clearly responsible.  Rant   Where is Arturo? Were you hoping we'd forget after 600 years? 

Norwegians never got beyond Stamford Bridge. But I am not against a claim against Denmark for the Danelaw. A little dangerous going back before 800 ad, though.   Nervous

No I mean the northern countries produced the Normans.  

RE: Slavery Reparations and 2020 - Aquapod770 - 04-15-2019

(04-10-2019, 07:07 PM)Dill Wrote: Got that right. It would take a generation, but that might be the thing most likely to erase the school achievement gap.  Not just for African-americans.

Baltimore city schools are some of the highest funded in MD. Maybe we should cut their funding to make them closer to the other school systems in MD.  Mellow

Throwing money at a problem often doesn't magically fix it. 

RE: Slavery Reparations and 2020 - Dill - 04-15-2019

(04-15-2019, 10:38 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Baltimore city schools are some of the highest funded in MD. Maybe we should cut their funding to make them closer to the other school systems in MD.  Mellow

Throwing money at a problem often doesn't magically fix it.
LOL Wish people thought that way about funding national defense.

If those getting all that education money just "threw" it at problems then I would agree with you.

But I rather doubt that is all they do.  Few educators see money as the only problem; but since funding is what enables them to address other problems, it has to be a central concern.  And any proposal which evens out inequalities in funding throughout a state's school district ought to receive serious evaluation in light of current research on the relation between school funding and achievement.

RE: Slavery Reparations and 2020 - Aquapod770 - 04-15-2019

(04-15-2019, 02:38 PM)Dill Wrote: LOL Wish people thought that way about funding national defense.

If those getting all that education money just "threw" it at problems then I would agree with you.

But I rather doubt that is all they do.  Few educators see money as the only problem; but since funding is what enables them to address other problems, it has to be a central concern.  And any proposal which evens out inequalities in funding throughout a state's school district ought to receive serious evaluation in light of current research on the relation between school funding and achievement.

I do feel that way about national defense too.  Mellow