Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework (/Thread-Virginia-School-System-closes-for-the-day-over-threats-bc-of-Islam-homework)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - StLucieBengal - 12-19-2015

(12-18-2015, 11:03 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Social Studies involves the teaching of different cultures. Religion, art, these things are a part of that. I remember learning about these things in my SS classes in HS. It is a part of our SOLs.

Wasn't this a geography class?

So where does calligraphy fall into that ?

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - Nately120 - 12-19-2015

(12-18-2015, 11:01 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Exactly.   A ridiculous waste of time and resources.

Exactly.  Whatever education and appreciation you learned of other cultures was obviously sufficient. Ninja

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - bfine32 - 12-19-2015

The teacher was wrong

The lesson was wrong

But it is amusing to see folks trying to say: But.......

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - Belsnickel - 12-19-2015

(12-19-2015, 01:00 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Wasn't this a geography class?

So where does calligraphy fall into that ?

If you read the standards of learning, even for just world geography, culture is a part of that. Those are our state standards.

(12-19-2015, 01:18 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The teacher was wrong

The lesson was wrong

Interesting that you aren't saying the people that made the death threats were wrong...

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - Rotobeast - 12-19-2015

(12-19-2015, 08:24 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: If you read the standards of learning, even for just world geography, culture is a part of that. Those are our state standards.

Interesting that you aren't saying the people that made the death threats were wrong...

While I understand that it is necessary to learn about other cultures and be aware of those peoples needs/practices, I find it odd they yank paintings of Jesus, but promote writing a commitment to Allah.
Separation of church and state (funded schools) and all that was important to get Christianity out.
Meh... 

Btw.... The death threats were definitely wrong and should be considered a terrorist act, in this day and age.

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - Belsnickel - 12-19-2015

(12-19-2015, 08:43 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: While I understand that it is necessary to learn about other cultures and be aware of those peoples needs/practices, I find it odd they yank paintings of Jesus, but promote writing a commitment to Allah.
Separation of church and state (funded schools) and all that was important to get Christianity out.
Meh... 

Btw.... The death threats were definitely wrong and should be considered a terrorist act, in this day and age.

Well, this was a unit about world religions. When teaching about religions they still teach about the cultures it is engrained in and discuss it in cultural contexts, just like this was.

I just find the outrage against the teacher to be ridiculous from the start. The assignment came from a Virginia Board of Education approved teacher workbook. It wasn't just something she came up with.

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - StLucieBengal - 12-19-2015

(12-19-2015, 08:24 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: If you read the standards of learning, even for just world geography, culture is a part of that. Those are our state standards.

Where are the current SOL? All I found was something from 2008 and there is no standard to justify this type of lesson. Unless the teacher was playing fast and loose with the standards. And if she was then where was the lessons on the Byzantine's and did they write something out in Cyrillic to show how they promoted their religion.?

I hope they were at least being consistent if they were playing fast and loose with the standards.

(12-19-2015, 10:06 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Where are the current SOL? All I found was something from 2008 and there is no standard to justify this type of lesson. Unless the teacher was playing fast and loose with the standards. And if she was then where was the lessons on the Byzantine's and did they write something out in Cyrillic to show how they promoted their religion.?

I hope they were at least being consistent if they were playing fast and loose with the standards.

Can't copy the URL on my phone at the moment, but you can find the standards by searching for "Virginia standards of learning social studies". On the documents you will see that culture of the regions is a part of it. Also, as I stated above, this was a VA BoE approved workbook for the class she was working out of.

Was just reading an article on this in my local paper. The BoE stated that this is part of a workbook that includes sections on Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, etc. It is BoE approved and copying the calligraphy is a part of the SOLs, albeit they do not specify what is to be copied. The workbook, while BoE approved, is selected by the school district as there are multiple options out there.

Sorry I cannot provide link as my local paper is subscription only online.

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - bfine32 - 12-19-2015

(12-19-2015, 08:24 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Interesting that you aren't saying the people that made the death threats were wrong...

I have not seen a link to anyone making death threats; I saw you say it.

In my original post I said I would have to know the context of the "threats" before I would share my opinion of them. If death threats were made then folks should be arrested. I'm just not open-minded enough to condemn them before I know the nature of the "threats".

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - GMDino - 12-19-2015

After catching up on this thread and rereading the OP I was forced to stone my neighbor for adultery because I renounced my god and switched to Islam just for writing that down.

Powerful sentence there. Ninja

(12-19-2015, 11:53 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I have not seen a link to anyone making death threats; I saw you say it.

In my original post I said I would have to know the context of the "threats" before I would share my opinion of them. If death threats were made then folks should be arrested. I'm just not open-minded enough to condemn them before I know the nature of the "threats".

Since my particular knowledge of this is not from the media, I found you an article about this by doing a quick search on Bing. Yes, I use Bing.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-schools-threats-idUSKBN0U11LD20151218

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - Johnny Cupcakes - 12-19-2015

If these children are "too young to understand that they were denouncing their religion", then they're too young to be being brainwashed by religion in the first place.

Although i'd rather religion not be taught at all in places of education, the idea behind this lesson was mostly harmless. Making the writing example a prayer may have been pretty stupid, but I don't have a problem in them teaching Arabic writing in general, as a cultural lesson. It's the moment that insane religious aspects get introduced that other insane religious folks go insane.

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - BmorePat87 - 12-19-2015

(12-18-2015, 10:57 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So when did the social studies department start teaching calligraphy skills?   I haven't been in a classroom for a few years but maybe Pat can let me know when the last time he taught any calligraphy.

The other stuff I can agree with you on.   This whole lesson just seems out of place and unnecessary.

(12-18-2015, 11:03 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Social Studies involves the teaching of different cultures. Religion, art, these things are a part of that. I remember learning about these things in my SS classes in HS. It is a part of our SOLs.

Art is culture. Culture is part of social studies. 

The problem is, you're talking to someone who thinks art doesn't belong in school but fishing does.

(12-19-2015, 12:13 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Since my particular knowledge of this is not from the media, I found you an article about this by doing a quick search on Bing. Yes, I use Bing.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-schools-threats-idUSKBN0U11LD20151218

Those that made threats of violence should be arrested. 

I have no issue with the parents (Christian or otherwise) that complained about the assignment and the teacher should be rightly reprimanded for her poor choice of content selection. 

I wonder how folks would feel, while teaching about German history, had student's write "All Jews should be exterminated" in German, 

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - BmorePat87 - 12-19-2015

(12-19-2015, 01:18 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The teacher was wrong

The lesson was wrong

Wrong in what sense? They used an approved workbook from their school district to teach a subject required by the curriculum. They taught the right lesson using the right materials.

I personally would have used a different phrase, but writing it doesn't denounce one's religion, just as answering the question "state the Islam statement of faith" with "there is no god but Allah..." doesn't denounce your faith. The only reason I wouldn't have them try to write that particular phrase in calligraphy is because there are irrational parents out there. 

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/testing/sol/frameworks/history_socialscience_framewks/2008/2008_final/framewks_world_geography.pdf

The curriculum. Check out pages 13 and 19. Religion is taught as part of the cultural regions of the world. Within the Middle Eastern region, aspects of their culture (including calligraphy) is taught.

We teach this as a course called "human geography". It's an AP elective. Physical geography is covered in 6th grade, though the Social Studies department wants to make it a high school requirement now and cover both sides of geography (physical and human).

(12-19-2015, 01:21 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Wrong in what sense? They used an approved workbook from their school district to teach a subject required by the curriculum. They taught the right lesson using the right materials.

I personally would have used a different phrase, but writing it doesn't denounce one's religion, just as answering the question "state the Islam statement of faith" with "there is no god but Allah..." doesn't denounce your faith. The only reason I wouldn't have they try to write that particular phrase in calligraphy is because there are irrational parents out there. 

Nothing wrong with teaching Muslim culture; however, the chosen phrase can be inflammatory to Christians and atheists alike. If the teacher and the school administration didn't have enough  foresight to see this; then I question their judgement and all involved should be reprimanded.  

(12-19-2015, 01:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nothing wrong with teaching Muslim culture; however, the chosen phrase can be inflammatory to Christians and atheists alike. If the teacher and the school administration didn't have enough  foresight to see this; then I question their judgement and all involved should be reprimanded.  

I guess it comes down to a matter of opinion. I do not believe copying a statement of belief from a religion causes one to denounce that religion, especially in the context of education. I certainly understand how some believe it does, so I'm not going to criticize them as much as I would criticize those parents that freak out over the mere mention of Islam in school. 

(12-19-2015, 01:37 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I guess it comes down to a matter of opinion. I do not believe copying a statement of belief from a religion causes one to denounce that religion, especially in the context of education. I certainly understand how some believe it does, so I'm not going to criticize them as much as I would criticize those parents that freak out over the mere mention of Islam in school. 

If you were this teacher's supervisor would you counsel her on her choice of content?