Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Frenchman terror attacks targeting Muslims and Jews - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Frenchman terror attacks targeting Muslims and Jews (/Thread-Frenchman-terror-attacks-targeting-Muslims-and-Jews)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Frenchman terror attacks targeting Muslims and Jews - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-06-2016

(06-06-2016, 04:28 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Who wants to move to the Ukraine?    

It's not the Ukraine, it's Ukraine.  What you just said is like saying who wants to move to the Japan.  For someone who supposedly has family in that area of the world it's odd you don't know this.

RE: Frenchman terror attacks targeting Muslims and Jews - StLucieBengal - 06-06-2016

(06-06-2016, 08:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's not the Ukraine, it's Ukraine.  What you just said is like saying who wants to move to the Japan.  For someone who supposedly has family in that area of the world it's odd you don't know this.

Thanks for the lesson.    But it's funny how my wife and her family all say they are from or live in "the Minsk". Or how they used to go to the Ukraine for vacations to the beach. 

Not sure who I should believe the native speakers/my family or some steeler fan on a bengals message board?  

And btw it's the way its directly translated by native Russian speakers to English.

RE: Frenchman terror attacks targeting Muslims and Jews - Arturo Bandini - 06-06-2016

Minsk is in Bielorussia, Kiev is in Ukraine. I speak russian if you want some advices.

RE: Frenchman terror attacks targeting Muslims and Jews - StLucieBengal - 06-06-2016

(06-06-2016, 08:55 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Minsk is in Bielorussia, Kiev is in Ukraine. I speak russian if you want some advices.

I am fully aware.  But thank you for the offer.  

RE: Frenchman terror attacks targeting Muslims and Jews - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-06-2016

(06-06-2016, 08:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Thanks for the lesson.    But it's funny how my wife and her family all say they are from or live in "the Minsk". Or how they used to go to the Ukraine for vacations to the beach. 

Not sure who I should believe the native speakers/my family or some steeler fan on a bengals message board?  

And btw it's the way its directly translated by native Russian speakers to English.

Because they're speaking accented English.  For a native English speaker saying "the Ukraine" is as wrong as saying the Mexico or the Canada.  

(06-06-2016, 09:03 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Because they're speaking accented English.  For a native English speaker saying "the Ukraine" is as wrong as saying the Mexico or the Canada.  

Yes call it a habit picked up by living with my wife.   Sorry but I don't give her a grammar lesson at every turn.  

(06-06-2016, 09:07 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yes call it a habit picked up by living with my wife.   Sorry but I don't give her a grammar lesson at every turn.  

No need, just confine the grammar lesson to yourself.

(06-06-2016, 09:08 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: No need, just confine the grammar lesson to yourself.

So what does this have to do with anything in this thread?   Oh wait you were just trying to make this about me.....

RE: Frenchman terror attacks targeting Muslims and Jews - bfine32 - 06-06-2016

(06-06-2016, 08:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's not the Ukraine, it's Ukraine.  What you just said is like saying who wants to move to the Japan.  For someone who supposedly has family in that area of the world it's odd you don't know this.

I did fine this amusing:

http://time.com/12597/the-ukraine-or-ukraine

Apparently it was called The Ukraine during the Soviet Era and even POTUS refereed to it as such. 

RE: Frenchman terror attacks targeting Muslims and Jews - Vas Deferens - 06-06-2016

(06-06-2016, 09:11 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So what does this have to do with anything in this thread?   Oh wait you were just trying to make this about me.....

Already raising the victim flag.  That didnt take long.

Get back to spewing on about 'muslims' and 'islam'.

(06-06-2016, 09:25 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Already raising the victim flag.  That didnt take long.

Get back to spewing on about 'muslims' and 'islam'.

You'll take care of the 'whites' and Christians'; amiright?

RE: Frenchman terror attacks targeting Muslims and Jews - Nebuchadnezzar - 06-06-2016

If Obama says "The Ukraine" then it's "The Ukraine"...GOT IT! Ninja

Anyway, saying "The Ukraine" is because of habit. Ukraine was "The Ukraine" prior to 1991 since it was part of the Soviet Bloc and called "The Ukraine of Soviet something or another" or something like that. After Ukraine gained their independence, the country is now called Ukraine.

As for this guy who wanted to murder Muslims and Jews, he sounds like a real winner and very confused. Of course, he is anti-Semitic and I'm glad the caught him.

RE: Frenchman terror attacks targeting Muslims and Jews - Vas Deferens - 06-06-2016

(06-06-2016, 09:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You'll take care of the 'whites' and Christians'; amiright?

They'll make their own headlines.  

RE: Frenchman terror attacks targeting Muslims and Jews - jason - 06-06-2016

(06-06-2016, 09:36 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: If Obama says "The Ukraine" then it's "The Ukraine"...GOT IT! Ninja

Anyway, saying "The Ukraine" is because of habit. Ukraine was "The Ukraine" prior to 1991 since it was part of the Soviet Bloc and called "The Ukraine of Soviet something or another" or something like that. After Ukraine gained their independence, the country is now called Ukraine.

As for this guy who wanted to murder Muslims and Jews, he sounds like a real winner and very confused. Of course, he is anti-Semitic and I'm glad the caught him.
Why do you suppose Sudan is sometimes referred to as the Sudan?

RE: Frenchman terror attacks targeting Muslims and Jews - Belsnickel - 06-06-2016

(06-06-2016, 10:05 PM)jason Wrote: Why do you suppose Sudan is sometimes referred to as the Sudan?

Because the official name is Republic of the Sudan.

(06-06-2016, 09:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I did fine this amusing:

http://time.com/12597/the-ukraine-or-ukraine

Apparently it was called The Ukraine during the Soviet Era and even POTUS refereed to it as such. 

I have a few friends from Ukraine and they really dislike this habit.  For obvious reasons.

(06-06-2016, 10:43 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have a few friends from Ukraine and they really dislike this habit.  For obvious reasons.

I can only assume none of them go to Ohio State.. 

I can see that someone of a fledgling country would take exception. To me it doesn't matter if folks say The United States. I believe the correct is United States of America

RE: Frenchman terror attacks targeting Muslims and Jews - Belsnickel - 06-06-2016

(06-06-2016, 10:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I can only assume none of them go to Ohio State.. 

I can see that someone of a fledgling country would take exception. To me it doesn't matter if folks say The United States. I believe the correct is United States of America

Nope, the official version is The United States of America. Check your cash.

(06-06-2016, 10:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Nope, the official version is The United States of America. Check your cash.

My  cash says  In God We Trust;  it's official. 

Like I said I really don't care: I just remember reading somewhere that the founding fathers changed it from these "United Colonies" to these "United States". 

(06-06-2016, 11:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My  cash says  In God We Trust;  it's official. 

Like I said I really don't care: I just remember reading somewhere that the founding fathers changed it from these "United Colonies" to these "United States". 

Well, in God we trust is the official motto, so there is that. Just pointing it out, but yeah, the official full name starts with the. It's trivial, but trivia is a good time.