Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People (/Thread-Regarding-Marriage-Equality-I-m-Proud-of-the-American-People)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - BmorePat87 - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 06:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Until they force churches to do gay weddings or force someone to participate in their ceremony against their religious feeedoms.

Remember when churches were forced to marry interracial couples after Loving was decided 50 years ago?

Me neither.

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - WhoDeyWho - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 06:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Until they force churches to do gay weddings or force someone to participate in their ceremony against their religious feeedoms.

Aren't churches free to choose their own membership?  Do they have to marry non members?

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - BmorePat87 - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 06:07 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Aren't churches free to choose their own membership?  Do they have to marry non members?

the Catholic church can legally refuse to marry a divorced Black Jew in a wheel chair.

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 05:55 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I agree it would have eventually happened in All states.   And sooner than later....  I just wish they would have let it happen organically..   I think this is part of the reason we have such racial strife.   It never got a chance to happen organically.

I think that's just another way of saying "lets drag are feet and hope that it goes away".  As far as racial strife, you're speculating again.   When people were being lynched from trees, I'm glad they decided not to let things unfold "organically".

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 05:59 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I have always argued that when you har any "rights" debate.   Someone will always have their rights trampled.   regulation is just a way to pick winners and losers.    If everyone has a choice then we have all equal rights.  

As far as marriage.  They could have voted in their state.   To win you have to build a coalition.   They did it on 70% of the state's...  Why not the last few?   The. Eveyone would have would have held their rights.

Again just a way for those opposed to SSM to continue to drag their feet. 

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - StLucieBengal - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 06:07 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Except the decision made it clear that the church thing can't happen. The issue with businesses is a little muddy and will still have to be hammered out since apparently corporations are people now. But we shall see.

If they don't force churches then I am ok with it.... Although I think there needs to be allowance for businesses. When it's ceremony related. Big Difference between marriage and a birthday .

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - StLucieBengal - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 06:16 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Again just a way for those opposed to SSM to continue to drag their feet. 

It just makes those 13 states try to work out a way to do the people's wishes.

Why have 30% of the state's trying to undercut? Pointless fight.

(06-27-2015, 06:09 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: the Catholic church can legally refuse to marry a divorced Black Jew in a wheel chair.

I thought Sammy Davis Jr. became Jewish so that he could marry a white lady. Catholic church had nothing to do with it, and I don't think he was in a wheel chair either. Ninja

(06-27-2015, 06:23 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I thought Sammy Davis Jr. became Jewish so that he could marry a white lady. Catholic church had nothing to do with it, and I don't think he was in a wheel chair either. Ninja

Lol .... Well done

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - michaelsean - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 05:52 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote:  Meh...it's not the first time the SCOTUS had to rule on protecting the civil rights of a minority group of people.  However even if you had held the issue to a general popular vote, SSM most likely would've passed by at least 60% in favor of it.  Besides most states were legalizing it anyways.  Peoples views are changing.

I dont think so. It was legal in a lot of states because they lost court cases. Most of the time it lost when voted on.

(06-27-2015, 06:29 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I dont think so. It was legal in a lot of states because they lost court cases.  Most of the time it lost when voted on.

Most of those votes were 7-10 years ago when about 60% opposed it. Now 60% support it and we've seen many states vote in favor of it.

That said, it shouldn't be left to a vote.

(06-27-2015, 06:29 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I dont think so. It was legal in a lot of states because they lost court cases.  Most of the time it lost when voted on.

I'm not saying that you are incorrect.  In fact I know that if you were to take a poll in my local area there would have been pretty wide support for SSM.  However I'm aware other parts of this area are much more conservative.  Same thing can be at the state level.  On the national level there was more support for SSM than there was a against it.

I'm not sure how old some of you are, but I know my sons generation is going to look back on this the same way my generation looked back on my parents generation in the 60's and the way minorities were treated.  I'm pretty confident that I'm on the right side of history on this.  And those who fight it or try to justify their opposition to it will eventually be forgotten and/or left behind just like the racists and bigots of the 60's were left behind eventually. 

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - fredtoast - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 05:16 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Why are proud of the people?  They vote it down consistently.   Only when a court decides to legislate and this forced on the people?  

Go pat your unelected lifetime appointees on the back... Or at least the ones who think its ok to force their will on the people your so proud to congratulate.  

Did gay marriage really win anything when all they did was bully it on people?   It will just polarize it more now that people see they are forced to accept.  

Personal Freedom takes another big hit.    Maybe that's what your cheering.

The more I read Lucy complain about the system our Constitution established the more I realize that he is being influenced by his communist wife.

He tries to act like he is in favor expanding personal freedoms and removing government limitations, but as soo as the Supreme Court does it in a big way he starts bawling his eyes out.

Typical communist.

(06-27-2015, 06:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Most of those votes were 7-10 years ago when about 60% opposed it. Now 60% support it and we've seen many states vote in favor of it.

Yeah that pesky allowing people to vote for how they wish to live. Much better to allow unelectable and unaccountable group say so.

(06-27-2015, 08:47 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah that pesky allowing people to vote for how they wish to live.   Much better to allow unelectable and unaccountable group say so.

It is, actually. The rights of the minority are not subject to a vote by the majority. That's Libertarianism 101.

You sound like a communist suggesting that people should lose their rights because others don't want them to have them.

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - Johnny Cupcakes - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 06:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Most of those votes were 7-10 years ago when about 60% opposed it. Now 60% support it and we've seen many states vote in favor of it.

Correct and correct.

Now that a lot of people have become more civilized and accepting of equal rights, I'd like to think that popular votes would have a better outcome than they did years ago.  The support of equal rights has grown a lot in the last 5 years....it's the best thing that social media has done for this country.

And no, it should not be left up to a vote as to whether or not people receive rights that they've been unconstitutionally denied for years.

(06-27-2015, 09:00 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It is, actually. The rights of the minority are not subject to a vote by the majority. That's Libertarianism 101.

You sound like a communist suggesting that people should lose their rights because others don't want them to have them.

You say minority but 37 states voted it in.... So actually the gays were the majority. So this is actually protecting the minority 13 states.

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - Johnny Cupcakes - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 11:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You say minority but 37 states voted it in....  So actually the gays were the majority.     So this is actually protecting the minority 13 states.

Smirk

Some of the things that you read in this forum are mindblowingly moronic.

(06-27-2015, 11:14 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Smirk

Some of the things that you read in this forum are mindblowingly moronic.

Is 37 not more than 13?

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - Johnny Cupcakes - 06-28-2015

(06-27-2015, 11:31 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Is 37 not more than 13?

Claiming that gays are somehow the majority because they were allowed to marry in 37 states is some of the silliest logic that I've ever read on here.

Even still, how many of those states had marriage equality due to a popular vote? It's been repeatedly declared unconstitutional in those states, which is why it was legal...not because it was voted that way. It probably would be voted in by a popular vote, but people shouldn't even be allowed to vote on issues such as this. The simpletons of this country should not be tasked with deciding who gets rights and who doesn't.