Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests (/Thread-More-largely-peaceful-Portland-protests)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 10-27-2020

(10-27-2020, 03:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What about them seems "left-leaning" to you?

Well, the anti-law enforcement beliefs are a pretty big indicator.  Not that there aren't those types on the far right as well.  But seeing as they give full throated support to BLM I'm thinking it's safe to put them in the left leaning category.

Quote:Their main issues seem to be gun rights as part of an Originalism interpretation of the Constitution.  Their beliefs are libertarian and they are strongly anti-government.  Everything about their beliefs seem as far right as you can get.  Even the ones who trend toward anarchist are right-wing anarcho-capitalists instead of left-wing anarchists.

It's interesting that you have such a broad knowledge of this that you're aware of the political leanings of every single one of these guys.  I suppose if you determine that the sovereign citizen types are "far right" I could see how you could convince yourself of your position.  

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 10-27-2020

(10-27-2020, 03:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Force was justified, but many people will question why he was not tazed instead of shot to death.

Yes, and those people are called idiots.

Quote:White people can't understand the perception of minorities because white people have not lived their lives under the threat of racist profiling by the police.  When police are viewed as "unjust" because they have discriminated against people based on their race then minorities are always going to question their motives in situations where white people would not.

I've worked with almost nothing but black and Hispanic people my entire professional life.  I've been told by two separate black people (one of them borderline militant) that I was an honorary black person.  So while I certainly can't understand the lived experience of a black or Hispanic person I am certainly well informed enough to form a highly educated opinion.  You also talk about "minorities" as if they are a monolith.  I can tell you that as many, if not more, black people support the police than don't, especially as they are more frequently the victims of crime.  They just don't go out and burn things down, loot or otherwise do things to earn the media's attention.

Quote:Would these police have tazed a white man instead of shooting him to death.  I don't know.

I do.  The answer is hell no.

Quote:But I can see why minorities suspect that they would not have.  They know that police treat minorities differently than white people based on their race.  And that perception was not created by the media.  It was created by the actions of law enforcement over the years.

I can too, because it's the bullshit narrative they've been fed from the media and the Democratic party, who is willing to support mass civil unrest if it gets them more votes.  Again, you have your opinion, which is fine, it's just founded in wishful thinking.  As I said before, if you allowed for the possibility that I am correct you'd be implicating yourself, which I can understand would be less than palatable.

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - GMDino - 10-27-2020

(10-27-2020, 03:36 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yes, and those people are called idiots.

I've worked with almost nothing but black and Hispanic people my entire professional life.  I've been told by two separate black people (one of them borderline militant) that I was an honorary black person.  So while I certainly can't understand the lived experience of a black or Hispanic person I am certainly well informed enough to form a highly educated opinion.  You also talk about "minorities" as if they are a monolith.  I can tell you that as many, if not more, black people support the police than don't, especially as they are more frequently the victims of crime.  They just don't go out and burn things down, loot or otherwise do things to earn the media's attention.

I do.  The answer is hell no.

I can too, because it's the bullshit narrative they've been fed from the media and the Democratic party, who is willing to support mass civil unrest if it gets them more votes.  Again, you have your opinion, which is fine, it's just founded in wishful thinking.  As I said before, if you allowed for the possibility that I am correct you'd be implicating yourself, which I can understand would be less than palatable.

I ain't necessarily doubting you but that line just made me think of this:

Smirk

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - fredtoast - 10-27-2020

(10-27-2020, 03:36 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I can tell you that as many, if not more, black people support the police than don't, especially as they are more frequently the victims of crime.  They just don't go out and burn things down, loot or otherwise do things to earn the media's attention.

I don't know how you define "support", but your anecdotal evidence regarding the people you work with proves nothing.  This is a common  theme with you.  You ignore every scientific study I post and instead cite "my black friends".  But a 2019 Pew study found that 59% of black men claim they have been unfairly stopped by police due to their race.  A 2017 study by NPR found that 60% of African Americans say that they or their family members have been stopped or treated unfairly by police due to their race.

You also act like all black/minority officers agree with you when that is nto true at all

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-the-police-see-issues-of-race-and-policing/

black officers tend to have somewhat different views from white officers.7 For example, 69 percent of black officers said the protests against policing tactics reflected some genuine desire to hold the police accountable, compared with just 27 percent of white officers. And a majority of black officers (57 percent) said that the deadly encounters between black people and the police were part of a broader pattern — a view shared by only 27 percent of white officers. 

Most black officers — 69 percent — thought that America needed to make more changes for black Americans to have equal rights, putting the black officers fairly close to black Americans overall (84 percent per the Pew poll). White officers (6 percent) were much less likely to hold this view. According to LeCount’s research, the views of black officers on questions of both policing and broader racial issues in America were not much different from those of black Americans overall.

(10-27-2020, 03:36 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I do.  The answer is hell no.

Why not use a taser on a person with a knife instead of just killing him with a gun.  I thought the whole purpose of tasers was to use when force was necessary but avoiding killing people when possible.

(10-27-2020, 03:36 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I can too, because it's the bullshit narrative they've been fed from the media and the Democratic party, who is willing to support mass civil unrest if it gets them more votes.  Again, you have your opinion, which is fine, it's just founded in wishful thinking.  As I said before, if you allowed for the possibility that I am correct you'd be implicating yourself, which I can understand would be less than palatable.

It is not a "bullshit narrative" when it is based on facts. It is a fact that police treat minorities differently from white people.  It is a fact that most black people know it happens.  That was not created by the media.  that was created by their experiences with racial profiling from law enforcement. 

Why should I believe your personal opinion which is not based on any facts when I have the facts here in front of me?

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - bfine32 - 10-27-2020

(10-27-2020, 05:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why not use a taser on a person with a knife instead of just killing him with a gun.  I thought the whole purpose of tasers was to use when force was necessary but avoiding killing people when possible.

Are you really asking why Police wouldn't use non-lethal measure on someone coming at them with a lethal weapon?

(10-27-2020, 05:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know how you define "support", but your anecdotal evidence regarding the people you work with proves nothing.  This is a common  theme with you.  You ignore every scientific study I post and instead cite "my black friends".  But a 2019 Pew study found that 59% of black men claim they have been unfairly stopped by police due to their race.  A 2017 study by NPR found that 60% of African Americans say that they or their family members have been stopped or treated unfairly by police due to their race.

You also act like all black/minority officers agree with you when that is nto true at all

Actually no, that's what you did.  I said a more support the police than do not.  By definition this statement precludes a logical interpretation of "all blacks".

Quote:https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-the-police-see-issues-of-race-and-policing/

Not a biased site at all, thank you.

Quote:black officers tend to have somewhat different views from white officers.7 For example, 69 percent of black officers said the protests against policing tactics reflected some genuine desire to hold the police accountable, compared with just 27 percent of white officers. And a majority of black officers (57 percent) said that the deadly encounters between black people and the police were part of a broader pattern — a view shared by only 27 percent of white officers. 

Most black officers — 69 percent — thought that America needed to make more changes for black Americans to have equal rights, putting the black officers fairly close to black Americans overall (84 percent per the Pew poll). White officers (6 percent) were much less likely to hold this view. According to LeCount’s research, the views of black officers on questions of both policing and broader racial issues in America were not much different from those of black Americans overall.

If we took these figures as gospel truth it doesn't change my position.  You can think improvements need to be made while still supporting law enforcement.  Is not a huge topic at the moment, changing the SCOTUS?  Well, if you think it should be changed then, by your logic, you cannot support it.

Quote:Why not use a taser on a person with a knife instead of just killing him with a gun.  I thought the whole purpose of tasers was to use when force was necessary but avoiding killing people when possible.

Bel already posted a video explaining this in this very thread.  Watch it and get back to me.

Quote:It is not a "bullshit narrative" when it is based on facts. It is a fact that police treat minorities differently from white people.  It is a fact that most black people know it happens.  That was not created by the media.  that was created by their experiences with racial profiling from law enforcement. 

No, some LEO's do.  Your penchant for sweeping generalizations is a hindrance to your making a consistent argument.  Everyone knows it happens, but that doesn't excuse the current narrative or the behavior it has enabled.

Quote:Why should I believe your personal opinion which is not based on any facts when I have the facts here in front of me?

Polls are not indisputable facts.  

(10-27-2020, 05:27 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Actually no, that's what you did.  I said a more support the police than do not.  By definition this statement precludes a logical interpretation of "all blacks".

Again, I have no idea what you mean by "support".  All I know is that a majority consider the police to be racially biased.

(10-27-2020, 05:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Again, I have no idea what you mean by "support".  All I know is that a majority consider the police to be racially biased.

Support is rather easy to define, they believe they are needed and realize what their neighborhoods would look like without them.  Your poll states that yes, which, of course does not take into account nuances like how significant they believe the issue is or how it could be fixed.  Regardless, my point stands, you can absolutely support law enforcement and believe that improvements in the system need to be made.

(10-27-2020, 05:27 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: No, some LEO's do.  Your penchant for sweeping generalizations is a hindrance to your making a consistent argument.  Everyone knows it happens, but that doesn't excuse the current narrative or the behavior it has enabled.

So if everyone knows some cops are guilty of racists behavior and some cops are guilty of lying to cover up lying murdering cops then how do you expect minorities not to suspect racist behavior is involved in police shootings?

Only some guys use date rape drugs, but women are forced to suspect all guys in order to keep themselves safe.

(10-27-2020, 05:27 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Bel already posted a video explaining this in this very thread.  Watch it and get back to me.

The fact that tasers do not always work is no excuse for not at least trying a taser before shooting him with a gun.

He was walking and standing around for quite a while before they shot him.  They had their guns pulled for a long time before shooting him. They had plenty of chances to attempt shooting him with a taser.  If that did not work then they could have shot him.

I understand they don't always work, but that does not mean police should not try to use them before gunning a person down.

(10-27-2020, 05:27 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Polls are not indisputable facts.  

I am not talking about polls.  I am talking about official records of stops and arrests.  I am talking about court convictions.  I am talking about scintific studies.

There is plenty of evidence that minorities are treated differently by police and that police lie to cover for dirty cops.

These are not narratives created by the media.  These are provable facts.

(10-27-2020, 05:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The fact that tasers do not always work is no excuse for not at least trying a taser before shooting him with a gun.

He was walking and standing around for quite a while before they shot him.  They had their guns pulled for a long time before shooting him. They had plenty of chances to attempt shooting him with a taser.  If that did not work then they could have shot him.

I understand they don't always work, but that does not mean police should not try to use them before gunning a person down.

Sure, and if they had used the taser when was "walking and standing around" then you'd be screaming that they had no reason to tase him.  If someone is advancing on you with a knife in hand, especially when you've attempted to retreat from them then the use of deadly force is not only justified but necessary.

(10-27-2020, 06:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not talking about polls.  I am talking about official records of stops and arrests.

Aren't you the same person who pointed out that black people commit a vastly disproportionate amount of violent crime?

Quote: I am talking about court convictions.

Last I looked LEO's don't file charges, argue in court, convict or sentence anyone.

Quote:I am talking about scintific studies.

That say what?

Quote:There is plenty of evidence that minorities are treated differently by police and that police lie to cover for dirty cops.

These are two different things.  You've presented not factual basis for stating either.

Quote:These are not narratives created by the media.  These are provable facts.

If they were provable then I assume you would have actually, you know, proven them.  I don't disagree with you that some LEO's treat minorities differently.  I also don't disagree with your past statements that largely minority neighborhoods account for a disproportionate amount of violent crime.  I have a strong hunch that if you had a 100% black neighborhood with a 0% crime rate then what your alleging would not be occurring there.

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Belsnickel - 10-28-2020

(10-27-2020, 05:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The fact that tasers do not always work is no excuse for not at least trying a taser before shooting him with a gun.

Are you aware of the use of force continuum? If a person has a deadly weapon, such as a knife, you aren't going to approach them with something lower down on that continuum, such as a taser. That puts you and the public at risk. You should approach a threat with something at least equal, but preferably a step above the threat on the continuum. Deadly weapon means that you're going to approach with a deadly weapon because that is the best way to protect yourself and the public.

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - NATI BENGALS - 10-28-2020

Yea it’s these types that upset me. If you go at a cop waiving a knife there is a really high chance you will be shot with real bullets.

I haven’t watched but only read what happened. And if what I read was remotely accurate. There should not be any riots or looting in philly right now.

It’s not a cops job to disarm a crazy person with a deadly weapon.

I can’t remember the rule. But distance is your enemy when you have a gun and someone comes at you with a knife. As soon as that distance start shrinking your advantage starts shrinking. Your gun misfires and jams... your dead.

Maybe it’s time to start making robocops

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Mickeypoo - 10-28-2020

(10-27-2020, 05:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know how you define "support", but your anecdotal evidence regarding the people you work with proves nothing.  This is a common  theme with you.  You ignore every scientific study I post and instead cite "my black friends".  But a 2019 Pew study found that 59% of black men claim they have been unfairly stopped by police due to their race.  A 2017 study by NPR found that 60% of African Americans say that they or their family members have been stopped or treated unfairly by police due to their race.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-the-police-see-issues-of-race-and-policing/

black officers tend to have somewhat different views from white officers.7 For example, 69 percent of black officers said the protests against policing tactics reflected some genuine desire to hold the police accountable, compared with just 27 percent of white officers. And a majority of black officers (57 percent) said that the deadly encounters between black people and the police were part of a broader pattern — a view shared by only 27 percent of white officers. 

Why not use a taser on a person with a knife instead of just killing him with a gun.  I thought the whole purpose of tasers was to use when force was necessary but avoiding killing people when possible.

It is not a "bullshit narrative" when it is based on facts. It is a fact that police treat minorities differently from white people.  It is a fact that most black people know it happens.  That was not created by the media.  that was created by their experiences with racial profiling from law enforcement. 

Why should I believe your personal opinion which is not based on any facts when I have the facts here in front of me?

How about the person doesn't run around with the knife and run at the cops with a knife after being told repeatedly to stand down?  How about some personally accountability for a change?

Armed, crazy, threatening black guy gets himself shot with bad decision making.  

Black response = loot stores and cause chaos for other blacks in their own community.   Shocked

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - GMDino - 10-28-2020

Looks like another metal health incident too.  Police aren't trained enough for that either.

It's a shame all the way around but to be fair the US hasn't cared about getting people help for mental health since the 80's so this kind of think will be inevitable.

Pus a black mark on the police who are only doing what they know/are trained to do and on those who loot and cause problems without understanding the larger picture.

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - TheLeonardLeap - 10-28-2020

(10-28-2020, 08:10 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Maybe it’s time to start making robocops

Police in 2021:
[Image: gK3RM.gif]

Criminals in 2022:
[Image: 2081_1210392092778_237_300.jpg]

(10-28-2020, 08:10 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Yea it’s these types that upset me. If you go at a cop waiving a knife there is a really high chance you will be shot with real bullets.

I haven’t watched but only read what happened. And if what I read was remotely accurate. There should not be any riots or looting in philly right now.

It’s not a cops job to disarm a crazy person with a deadly weapon.

I can’t remember the rule. But distance is your enemy when you have a gun and someone comes at you with a knife. As soon as that distance start shrinking your advantage starts shrinking. Your gun misfires and jams... your dead.

Maybe it’s time to start making robocops

Hey, we actually agree on something!!   Tongue

(10-28-2020, 08:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: Looks like another metal health incident too.  Police aren't trained enough for that either.

It's a shame all the way around but to be fair the US hasn't cared about getting people help for mental health since the 80's so this kind of think will be inevitable.

Pus a black mark on the police who are only doing what they know/are trained to do and on those who loot and cause problems without understanding the larger picture.

Ya, the mental health thing is very sad.  As I mentioned before, I watched our in/out patient adult and child psych units (the only ones in the area) close due to cost issues.