Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
2020 Election - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: 2020 Election (/Thread-2020-Election)

RE: 2020 Election - BmorePat87 - 09-24-2020

(09-24-2020, 11:36 AM)hollodero Wrote: Defending a clumsy comment is not akin to explaining away repeated blatant authoritarian sayings.

It's crazy that we're in a position where someone would even try to equate the two. 

RE: 2020 Election - PhilHos - 09-24-2020

(09-24-2020, 11:36 AM)hollodero Wrote: Defending a clumsy comment is not akin to explaining away repeated blatant authoritarian sayings.

Or maybe it's that ALL candidates' supporters explain away "clumsy" comments or "blatant authoritarian sayings"?

No, of course not. Only Trump. Rolleyes

RE: 2020 Election - bfine32 - 09-24-2020

(09-24-2020, 11:42 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Or maybe it's that ALL candidates' supporters explain away "clumsy" comments or "blatant authoritarian sayings"?

Trump's comments were uncalled for and dangerous. Luckily Mitch and many of the GOP Senators have pointed them out as such. 

If there was a guarantee I'd be voting for a Biden-Harris ticket instead of a Harris-Biden ticket my choice in Nov would be simple.

Of course none of this excuses Biden's "clumsy comments" about an entire race. 

RE: 2020 Election - GMDino - 09-24-2020

(09-24-2020, 11:42 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Or maybe it's that ALL candidates' supporters explain away "clumsy" comments or "blatant authoritarian sayings"?

If we're going to use that defense then can you provide "blatant authoritarian sayings" from Biden?  

Then we can "explain" them?

(09-24-2020, 12:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: If we're going to use that defense then can you provide "blatant authoritarian sayings" from Biden?  

My bad. When you said this:
(09-24-2020, 10:15 AM)GMDino Wrote: Because it is never what his said it was what he "meant" and what he "meant" was anything that isn't as bad as what he actually said.

I didn't realize it only applied to Trump making "authoritarian sayings".

(09-24-2020, 12:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: If we're going to use that defense then can you provide "blatant authoritarian sayings" from Biden?  

Biden wants all eligible voters to be able to vote.

Oh wait, that's called democracy. 

RE: 2020 Election - Luvnit2 - 09-24-2020

(09-24-2020, 08:31 AM)hollodero Wrote: Will you commit to making sure that there is a peaceful transferal of power after the election?

President Donald Trump: Well, we’re going to have to see what happens. You know that I’ve been complaining very strongly about the ballots. And the ballots are a disaster. [...] We want to have… Get rid of the ballots and we’ll have a very peaceful… There won’t be a transfer frankly, there’ll be a continuation. The ballots are out of control. You know it, and you know who knows it better than anybody else? The Democrats know it better than anybody else.

--- Jeez that is some scary stuff.

The same people whining about Trump's statements ignore Democrats never accepted the results of the election starting with the tent lady Hillary Clinton. Look back at one of the debates, the question was asked, will you accept the results of the election?
Trump said same thing he said at his press conference, it depends if it is was a fair election. HRC vilified him, then lost and immediately divided the company by leading the anti Trump presidency.

So, please GTHO with your holier than now stances. Same group who could care less about almost 2400 abortions per day just in the US (leader of supposed morale integrity in the world), of those 80% are minorities. Why do liberals have no concern for murder of black babies, but care when less than 25 black men are killed in police shootings each year? And most of those shootings, just like Breanna Taylor prove to be legal and justified. Her death was tragic, but justice will prevail in the end. Blowing up cities, rioting, looting businesses and shooting and killing police officers when you don't understand the law and respect the law will not heal or fix anything. Democrats fuel the hatred and racial divide, did under Obama for 8 years and continue to do it with the MSM as their partner.

If Trump is a racist, please explain how Obama did nothing for the black and hispanic economy, yet Trump prior to pandemic had record employment, wages increasing and got the blacks out of jail Biden and Bill Clinton put in jail. He is the worst racist to ever live based on facts. A racist does not help minorities period.

RE: 2020 Election - Nately120 - 09-24-2020

(09-24-2020, 12:15 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The same people whining about Trump's statements ignore Democrats never accepted the results of the election starting with the tent lady Hillary Clinton. Look back at one of the debates, the question was asked, will you accept the results of the election?
Trump said same thing he said at his press conference, it depends if it is was a fair election. HRC vilified him, then lost and immediately divided the company by leading the anti Trump presidency.

So, please GTHO with your holier than now stances. Same group who could care less about almost 2400 abortions per day just in the US (leader of supposed morale integrity in the world), of those 80% are minorities. Why do liberals have no concern for murder of black babies, but care when less than 25 black men are killed in police shootings each year? And most of those shootings, just like Breanna Taylor prove to be legal and justified. Her death was tragic, but justice will prevail in the end. Blowing up cities, rioting, looting businesses and shooting and killing police officers when you don't understand the law and respect the law will not heal or fix anything. Democrats fuel the hatred and racial divide, did under Obama for 8 years and continue to do it with the MSM as their partner.

If Trump is a racist, please explain how Obama did nothing for the black and hispanic economy, yet Trump prior to pandemic had record employment, wages increasing and got the blacks out of jail Biden and Bill Clinton put in jail. He is the worst racist to ever live based on facts. A racist does not help minorities period.

So Trump can demean and dismantle democracy to his heart's content because abortion and Obama? I guess that does answer things. It is preferable that we become a one-party if not a one-leader system because in your mind one side of our political coin is so abjectly evil that we'd be better off with only 1 choice?

(09-24-2020, 12:13 PM)PhilHos Wrote: My bad. When you said this:

I didn't realize it only applied to Trump making "authoritarian sayings".

You said:

So I took that as ALL candidates' supporters explain away "clumsy" comments or "blatant authoritarian sayings" which means you believe Biden supporters have done the same for him.  I asked for examples of it as the discussion was heading into if there is a difference between the two kinds of statements.

(09-24-2020, 12:15 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The same people whining about Trump's statements ignore Democrats never accepted the results of the election starting with the tent lady Hillary Clinton. Look back at one of the debates, the question was asked, will you accept the results of the election?

Maybe it's because I don't hate all things Trump but am I the only one that thinks when he says "There won’t be a transfer frankly, there’ll be a continuation" he means he doesn't expect to lose?

Also, and I don't mean to change the subject, continue to bash Trump on his ballot thing, but did the reporter actually ask him "Win, lose or draw will you commit to a peaceful transfer of power"? Ummmm, if he wins, why does he need to "transfer power"?

Obama left office and there was a peaceful transfer of power.

He was POTUS not Clinton.  Clinton can complain all she wants but the votes were counted and she conceded.

Trump has said "we'll see" (again) because he believes the only way he can lose is for the other side to "cheat" by counting all the ballots.

But thanks for bringing in abortion and Taylor's tragic death because....uh, reasons?

(09-24-2020, 12:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: You said:

So I took that as ALL candidates' supporters explain away "clumsy" comments or "blatant authoritarian sayings" which means you believe Biden supporters have done the same for him.  I asked for examples of it as the discussion was heading into if there is a difference between the two kinds of statements.

My mindset was on what you originally posted and I thought we were talking about ALL dumb things a candidate says that gets "explained" away by supporters.

If you only want to focus on his "authoritarian sayings" and not the other shit, by all means, carry on. It'd be good to not hear the endless complaints of all things Trump.

You're comparing someone immediately conceding but being critical of his presidency to someone publicly opining on ways they could prevent a lawful and fair election or transition of power.

(09-24-2020, 12:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So Trump can demean and dismantle democracy to his heart's content because abortion and Obama?  I guess that does answer things.  It is preferable that we become a one-party if not a one-leader system because in your mind one side of our political coin is so abjectly evil that we'd be better off with only 1 choice?

What has he DONE to dismantle democracy? Yes, he's said some "bad" things (bad in quotes because I'm putting it VERY mildly) and while that's bad enough, what has he ACTUALLY done to dismantle democracy? 

(09-24-2020, 12:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: Obama left office and there was a peaceful transfer of power.

He was POTUS not Clinton.  Clinton can complain all she wants but the votes were counted and she conceded.

Trump has said "we'll see" (again) because he believes the only way he can lose is for the other side to "cheat" by counting all the ballots.

But thanks for bringing in abortion and Taylor's tragic death because....uh, reasons?

Trump knows he can lose the election, that's why he spent so much time in 2016 and now in 2020 telling people that it is rigged and it is fixed and people are cheating.  If I know I'm going to win something I'm not going to complain about it being unfair or rigged the whole time.

It's more important that Trump convince his followers that there is no legal and legit way he can lose this election.  Then again, those people are already voting for him so I'm not sure why he spends so much time hammering home his extreme views.  There are people who "know" that the 2020 election has two outcomes:

1.  Trump wins
2.  Trump wins but democrats cheated enough for Biden to get more votes

The notion that Trump can't legitimately lose exists in the minds of his supporters, not Trump.

(09-24-2020, 12:25 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Maybe it's because I don't hate all things Trump but am I the only one that thinks when he says "There won’t be a transfer frankly, there’ll be a continuation" he means he doesn't expect to lose?

Also, and I don't mean to change the subject, continue to bash Trump on his ballot thing, but did the reporter actually ask him "Win, lose or draw will you commit to a peaceful transfer of power"? Ummmm, if he wins, why does he need to "transfer power"?

That's exactly what he meant.  The issue is with him saying "if we get rid of the ballots" because he believes in a vast conspiracy that hasn't been even close to proven.  Trump's administration has had court cases thrown out about the fraud due to lack of evidence.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/judge-dismisses-trump-challenge-nevada-mail-voting-law-73150442

And his similar lawsuit in PA isn't going well for him either.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/trumps-war-on-mail-in-voting-suffers-setback-in-pennsylvania

So simply saying I don't have to answer that because I think I will win would be "acceptable" (I guess) but saying "we'll see" isn't.  At least in my book.  Whether it is Trump or not.

RE: 2020 Election - hollodero - 09-24-2020

Yeah! Only Trump throws out those dangerous authoritartian sayings. Biden doesn't. Biden says something stupid once in a while. And you use that to justify Trump's repeated and repatedly articulated disdain for democracy and love for a strong man regime. 

And yeah, that's what you will have to stomach. That you'll vote for a guy who told you time and again that he has no respect for the sanctity of elections, of democracy, of the law. And if you feel better by saying "oh well, Biden said something quite inconsiderate about black people, so I'm fine with everything Trump said", that is on you. But you cannot tell me that all is the same and hence nothing means anything and you can just project into all of it what you desire.

Also, do not accuse me of hypocrisy. If Biden said something akin to "I will not respect the election results of red states, they are all fraudulent and you know it, I will surely not commit to peacefully concede", then you could do so. But I would not defend that, nor would any other liberal (which, to be clear, I am most distinctly not, I am a deeply shocked foreigner) in here.

(09-24-2020, 11:50 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Trump's comments were uncalled for and dangerous. Luckily Mitch and many of the GOP Senators have pointed them out as such.

Of course none of this excuses Biden's "clumsy comments" about an entire race. 

Thank you.

I want to add, I did not intend to excuse stupid Biden comments, but I really advocate for putting them in perspective to actually dangerous Trump comments.

(09-24-2020, 12:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Trump knows he can lose the election, that's why he spent so much time in 2016 and now in 2020 telling people that it is rigged and it is fixed and people are cheating.  If I know I'm going to win something I'm not going to complain about it being unfair or rigged the whole time.

It's more important that Trump convince his followers that there is no legal and legit way he can lose this election.  Then again, those people are already voting for him so I'm not sure why he spends so much time hammering home his extreme views.  There are people who "know" that the 2020 election has two outcomes:

1.  Trump wins
2.  Trump wins but democrats cheated enough for Biden to get more votes

The notion that Trump can't legitimately lose exists in the minds of his supporters, not Trump.

100% accurate.

He's so used to bending rules and laws for himself that he figures everyone else must be cheating too so that's the only way he can lose.

(09-24-2020, 12:30 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What has he DONE to dismantle democracy? Yes, he's said some "bad" things (bad in quotes because I'm putting it VERY mildly) and while that's bad enough, what has he ACTUALLY done to dismantle democracy? 

The quick answer is that he is using his platform and influence to reduce citizens confidence in the democratic process and impede the processes by which people vote.

That and he's putting a spin on it where his impediments to the process are just and necessary.  There is just too much to get into and you can dismiss this as me copping out or not having an answer, but I just don't know what else to tell you. I sincerely hope I'm just flat-out wrong as hell on this one.

(09-24-2020, 12:33 PM)GMDino Wrote: That's exactly what he meant.  The issue is with him saying "if we get rid of the ballots" because he believes in a vast conspiracy that hasn't been even close to proven.  Trump's administration has had court cases thrown out about the fraud due to lack of evidence.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/judge-dismisses-trump-challenge-nevada-mail-voting-law-73150442

And his similar lawsuit in PA isn't going well for him either.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/trumps-war-on-mail-in-voting-suffers-setback-in-pennsylvania

So simply saying I don't have to answer that because I think I will win would be "acceptable" (I guess) but saying "we'll see" isn't.  At least in my book.  Whether it is Trump or not.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking of the "we'll see" but you make a good point about that. That is a bad answer to "if you lose, will you commit to a peaceful transfer of power".