Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys (/Thread-Mom-Why-raising-my-son-made-me-question-what-female-empowerment-is-doing-to-boys)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - GMDino - 04-03-2018

(04-03-2018, 11:34 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Actually her father and mother should be ensuring she has a good husband.  

It’s a cycle that can’t be broken.  And why we are in the place we are today.

Arranged marriages?  Cool.   Hilarious

RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - StLucieBengal - 04-03-2018

(04-03-2018, 10:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd argue that in both cases the woman is a victim of her own actions of being with a man who would hit her and the kids/ditch her and the kids.  That's what is interesting about it.  If I say the woman on welfare should have picked a better man to be her husband and father her kids I could get some support on that one.  If I see a woman getting hit by her husband and I shrug and say she should have picked a better man, I'd expect to get less support.

If there is one thing I've found about this culture it is that we are amazingly good at looking at people who are in bad situations and convincing ourselves that they deserve to be there.

The woman getting beaten should be protected by her father and any brothers. This was how it was done for generations.

RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - Benton - 04-04-2018

(04-03-2018, 11:35 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The woman getting beaten should be protected by her father and any brothers. This was how it was done for generations.

This isn’t 1492. Our approach to how we treat each other shouldn’t be the same as our belief that the world is flat.

RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - THE Bigzoman - 04-04-2018

(04-03-2018, 10:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd argue that in both cases the woman is a victim of her own actions of being with a man who would hit her and the kids/ditch her and the kids.  That's what is interesting about it.  If I say the woman on welfare should have picked a better man to be her husband and father her kids I could get some support on that one.  If I see a woman getting hit by her husband and I shrug and say she should have picked a better man, I'd expect to get less support.

If there is one thing I've found about this culture it is that we are amazingly good at looking at people who are in bad situations and convincing ourselves that they deserve to be there.

See my edit.

I guess it would depend on if and how the attacker is related to the victim.
If they were a couple and the attack was domestic abuse then yes, I guess you could question the woman's judgement in character plus her own character in both scenarios.

With that said, Lucie clarified himself earlier with, and im paraphrasing,"a mans obligation is with his family.

He just contradicts himself when he says "the single mom just needs to find a husband" If we accept that the mans obligation only applies to his woman and kids but no one elses', then what man would sign up to take care of another mans kid?

You can see this sentiment in many men today. I'm not sure if it's because society spreading messages like Lucies or if it's from a biological imperative to ensure your offspring lives on. But hey, nurture vs nature.

Rambling a bit, I know.

RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - THE Bigzoman - 04-04-2018

Sorry, lucie said the parents need to ensure she has a husband.

RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - michaelsean - 04-04-2018

(04-04-2018, 12:10 AM)Benton Wrote: This isn’t 1492. Our approach to how we treat each other shouldn’t be the same as our belief that the world is flat.

Some know it all is going to come explain to you  that most of the educated people were aware the earth was round, but it won't be me.  

RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - Nately120 - 04-04-2018

(04-03-2018, 11:35 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The woman getting beaten should be protected by her father and any brothers.  This was how it was done for generations.

So if I'm out somewhere and a man is beating on his wife I can just sit there and do nothing because her father and/or brother (that she may not even have) should show up and stand up for her? 

Like I said, here is a situation where a woman is in distress and we are going down a laundry list of things/people who are at fault.  That's what we do, we look at someone in a bad situation and come up with reason that person is there on purpose, but when we are in bad situations ourselves we look for every excuse to explain why our own misfortune is circumstantial and not due to our own failings.

(04-04-2018, 12:41 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Sorry, lucie said the parents need to ensure she has a husband.

This is all starting to seem very Middle East-ey, to me.  

RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - StLucieBengal - 04-04-2018

(04-04-2018, 12:24 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: See my edit.

I guess it would depend on if and how the attacker is related to the victim.
If they were a couple and the attack was domestic abuse then yes, I guess you could question the woman's judgement in character plus her own character in both scenarios.

With that said, Lucie clarified himself earlier with, and im paraphrasing,"a mans obligation is with his family.

He just contradicts himself when he says "the single mom just needs to find a husband" If we accept that the mans obligation only applies to his woman and kids but no one elses', then what man would sign up to take care of another mans kid?

You can see this sentiment in many men today. I'm not sure if it's because society spreading messages like Lucies or if it's from a biological imperative to ensure your offspring lives on. But hey, nurture vs nature.

Rambling a bit, I know.

(04-04-2018, 12:41 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Sorry, lucie said the parents need to ensure she has a husband.

The father of the children should step up and ensure the marriage works for the sake of the children. Some men just can’t get right, and where is his father telling him to go back home and take care of his family?

The men have a distinct role in the family and society. Which is why you can not raise them the same way you raise girls. Men need purpose.

RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - StLucieBengal - 04-04-2018

(04-04-2018, 12:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So if I'm out somewhere and a man is beating on his wife I can just sit there and do nothing because her father and/or brother (that she may not even have) should show up and stand up for her? 

That’s up to you. If you are ok watching a women getting beat up then that’s on you. We have stated the problem with men today, and the reasons behind it all. All we can do is raise a better generation of men by going to what’s worked over the years.

RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - GMDino - 04-04-2018

[Image: 12931227_940042656093954_780251439702122...e=5B6BFACC]

RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - fredtoast - 04-04-2018

(04-02-2018, 05:24 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: No one is questioning the values you raise your children with, that differs family to family.   We are talking about raising them with purpose related to their role in life.

I have no clue what this means.

RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - fredtoast - 04-04-2018

(04-03-2018, 09:45 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yes we step in.....   as for welfare ..... the single mother should be finding the best husband she can so her children can grow up in a home with a mother and father.  

The welfare option doesn’t solve the problem of not having a married mother and father in the home.

Protecting and defending your family just makes them soft.

If you always take care of all their problems then they will be helpless on their own.

(04-04-2018, 05:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Protecting and defending your family just makes them soft.

If you always take care of all their problems then they will be helpless on their own.

Women shouldn’t be on their own and really men shouldn’t be either, they both will lead fractured lives that need each other’s touch yo make it work as intended.

RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - GMDino - 04-04-2018

(04-04-2018, 07:07 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Women shouldn’t be on their own and really men shouldn’t be either, they both will lead fractured lives that need each other’s touch yo make it work as intended.

(04-04-2018, 12:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So if I'm out somewhere and a man is beating on his wife I can just sit there and do nothing because her father and/or brother (that she may not even have) should show up and stand up for her? 

Like I said, here is a situation where a woman is in distress and we are going down a laundry list of things/people who are at fault.  That's what we do, we look at someone in a bad situation and come up with reason that person is there on purpose, but when we are in bad situations ourselves we look for every excuse to explain why our own misfortune is circumstantial and not due to our own failings.

This is all starting to seem very Middle East-ey, to me.  

Inconsistent people do this. 

I don't and almost always try to self-reflect when things go wrong. 

RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - Nately120 - 04-05-2018

(04-04-2018, 12:52 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That’s up to you.  If you are ok watching a women getting beat up then that’s on you.  We have stated the problem with men today, and the reasons behind it all.  All we can do is raise a better generation of men by going to what’s worked over the years.

The fact that we made Trump our leader has me a bit skeptical that we are on a path towards establishing respectful and meaningful relations between males and females .

RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - fredtoast - 04-05-2018

(04-04-2018, 07:07 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Women shouldn’t be on their own and really men shouldn’t be either, they both will lead fractured lives that need each other’s touch yo make it work as intended.

So children should not leave their parents homesuntil they get married?

If you can not live without a woman or a parent then you have a problem.

RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - BmorePat87 - 04-05-2018

(04-05-2018, 09:07 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If you can not live without a woman or a parent then you have a problem.

That part is quite evident. 

RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - BmorePat87 - 04-05-2018

(04-05-2018, 08:58 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The fact that we made Trump our leader has me a bit skeptical that we are on a path towards establishing respectful and meaningful relations between males and females .

I am skeptical that emulating regressive behaviors from a time when women were treated as being beneath men will lead to us raising a better generation. 

RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - fredtoast - 04-05-2018

Women can get jobs and provide for their families just as well ( and many times better) than a man.

Very few people depend on physical strength for defense and many men will get their asses kicked depending on physical strength. Protecting yourself in todays world is more about BRAINS than brawn so women can protect themselves as well as men.