Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework (/Thread-Virginia-School-System-closes-for-the-day-over-threats-bc-of-Islam-homework)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - StLucieBengal - 12-19-2015

(12-19-2015, 01:13 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Art is culture. Culture is part of social studies. 

The problem is, you're talking to someone who thinks art doesn't belong in school but fishing does.

Art is fine in art class.

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - GMDino - 12-19-2015

(12-19-2015, 01:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nothing wrong with teaching Muslim culture; however, the chosen phrase can be inflammatory to Christians and atheists alike. If the teacher and the school administration didn't have enough  foresight to see this; then I question their judgement and all involved should be reprimanded.  

I know.  I immediately converted just by reading it out loud.

It was awful.

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - Nately120 - 12-19-2015

(12-19-2015, 04:02 PM)GMDino Wrote: I know.  I immediately converted just by reading it out loud.

It was awful.

Well, it was nice knowing you.  So what are you going to blow up first?

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - GMDino - 12-19-2015

(12-19-2015, 04:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, it was nice knowing you.  So what are you going to blow up first?

I think about.....

this board!

Ninja

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - fredtoast - 12-19-2015

(12-19-2015, 08:43 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: While I understand that it is necessary to learn about other cultures and be aware of those peoples needs/practices, I find it odd they yank paintings of Jesus, but promote writing a commitment to Allah.
Separation of church and state (funded schools) and all that was important to get Christianity out.
Meh... 

Btw.... The death threats were definitely wrong and should be considered a terrorist act, in this day and age.

They still teach thr cultural influence of Christianity just the same as islam.

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - bfine32 - 12-19-2015

(12-19-2015, 04:02 PM)GMDino Wrote: I know.  I immediately converted just by reading it out loud.

It was awful.

Where did I say it could covert anyone?

(12-19-2015, 05:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Where did I say it could covert anyone?

You didn't.  I was commenting on why it would be "inflammatory" to a Christian.

It totally went against everything I believed and I was so shaken I lost my faith...

Smirk

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - StLucieBengal - 12-19-2015

(12-19-2015, 04:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They still teach thr cultural influence of Christianity just the same as islam.

They do? When in public school do they assign that students write that Jesus Christ is our lord and savior and that he died for our sins.

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - BmorePat87 - 12-20-2015

(12-19-2015, 02:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If you were this teacher's supervisor would you counsel her on her choice of content?

I probably would have said "Despite this being approved by the school system, we live in rural Virginia and people may react irrationally to it. Try to find another way to introduce them to Islamic calligraphy.". 

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - BmorePat87 - 12-20-2015

(12-19-2015, 03:19 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Art is fine in art class.

and in social studies when discussing it's cultural impact. 

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - Belsnickel - 12-20-2015

(12-20-2015, 12:04 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I probably would have said "Despite this being approved by the school system, we live in rural Virginia and people may react irrationally to it. Try to find another way to introduce them to Islamic calligraphy.". 

Which is what happened right off, but some people are not satisfied with this. The woman the fueled this didn't like that the teacher wasn't fired and so took it to the media.

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - bfine32 - 12-20-2015

(12-20-2015, 12:04 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I probably would have said "Despite this being approved by the school system, we live in rural Virginia and people may react irrationally to it. Try to find another way to introduce them to Islamic calligraphy.". 

Fair enough. I might have thrown in a "As a educator in this community you should have had the foresight to use better judgement in the content of your lesson".

But that would just be me putting a sharper point on it. 

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - StLucieBengal - 12-20-2015

(12-20-2015, 12:06 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: and in social studies when discussing it's cultural impact. 

It's not like they were writing. Hello let's all go to the library. They could have easily written that in calligraphy and gotten the same lesson.

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - fredtoast - 12-20-2015

(12-20-2015, 01:43 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Fair enough. I might have thrown in a "As a educator in this community you should have had the foresight to use better judgement in the content of your lesson".

But that would just be me putting a sharper point on it. 

Makes me feel sorry for all the kids in these "special" communities.

Wonder how they will do if they have to deal with places where they don't get special treatment.

(12-20-2015, 10:38 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's not like they were writing.

They were writing. 

Quote:Hello let's all go to the library.    

Have fun at the library.

Quote:They could have easily written that in calligraphy and gotten the same lesson.

The lesson was to write it in calligraphy.

Quote:It's not like they were writing "Hello, let's all go to the library". They could have easily written that in calligraphy and gotten the same lesson.

Your inability to use basic grammar really makes it hard to understand what point you are trying to make. Also, we all have pretty much agreed that a secular phrase would have been a more prudent route to avoid the ire of irrational parents. 

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - bfine32 - 12-20-2015

(12-20-2015, 11:06 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Makes me feel sorry for all the kids in these "special" communities.

Wonder how they will do if they have to deal with places where they don't get special treatment.

As sad as it makes you: It is the school's job to educate, it is the family's job to instill values. 

As to how they will cope, perhaps you are selling them short by thinking they will be behind their contemporary because they do not know who to write divisive phrases in Islamic calligraphy.

But at least you absolved the instructor of any wrong doing. I wonder how she will do if she has to deal with a supervisor that holds her accountable for her poor decisions.    

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - fredtoast - 12-20-2015

(12-20-2015, 12:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As sad as it makes you: It is the school's job to educate, it is the family's job to instill values. 

What is this gibberish?

And what does it have to do with anything we are discussing? 

What kind of "value" is it teaching the children that schools should be shut down when Christians are offended over somthing silly?  Communities that ionstill this victim mentality in their children are doing them a disservice.

(12-20-2015, 12:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What is this gibberish?

And what does it have to do with anything we are discussing? 

What kind of "value" is it teaching the children that schools should be shut down when Christians are offended over somthing silly?  Communities that ionstill this victim mentality in their children are doing them a disservice.

The school shut down the school not the parents; so you'll have to ask what value the school taught the children 

And as I said: Everyone doesn't live in Fredville. As sad as it makes you, society establishes the norms.

It is you opinion that these children as being dis-served. 

RE: Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework - GMDino - 12-20-2015

So what this thread has come down to is the crowd that usually bitches and moans about people wanting "special" treatment are now bitching and moaning that they didn't get special treatment because one sentence was written. And that even wen it was changed the "offender" didn't get told harshly enough or punished enough.

That's kinda cute. Cool

(12-20-2015, 12:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: So what this thread has come down to is the crowd that usually bitches and moans about people wanting "special" treatment are now bitching and moaning that they didn't get special treatment because one sentence was written.  And that even wen it was changed the "offender" didn't get told harshly enough or punished enough.

That's kinda cute.  Cool
What a bunch of losers. Don't they look small and insignificant from the pedestal we have placed ourselves on?