Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Brexit Referendum Day - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Brexit Referendum Day (/Thread-Brexit-Referendum-Day)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Brexit Referendum Day - StLucieBengal - 06-24-2016

Cameron is expected to resign over the Brexit win.

Boris Johnson could be the next PM.

RE: Brexit Referendum Day - Belsnickel - 06-24-2016

Now comes then"what next?" EU leaders are meeting today to discuss how to stop this from being a trend and also to determine how to proceed with Britain. I have heard estimates of one to three years to disentangle the contracts and treaties between the EU and the UK. Then comes the question of the status for the UK after. Regular non-member state like us? EFTA like Norway and Switzerland? Or will there be a different sort of new status?

With Cameron stepping down it will be hard to tell what will come next in those negotiations.

Now that I have been reading more on this, I am seeing speculation of another referendum from Scotland, and perhaps Northern Ireland as well, to leave the UK after this. They voted to remain and some more familiar with all of this say they may feel they would benefit more from EU membership than from being a part of the UK.

RE: Brexit Referendum Day - GMDino - 06-24-2016

(06-24-2016, 07:35 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Now comes then"what next?" EU leaders are meeting today to discuss how to stop this from being a trend and also to determine how to proceed with Britain. I have heard estimates of one to three years to disentangle the contracts and treaties between the EU and the UK. Then comes the question of the status for the UK after. Regular non-member state like us? EFTA like Norway and Switzerland? Or will there be a different sort of new status?

With Cameron stepping down it will be hard to tell what will come next in those negotiations.

From I read last night next is the pound devaluing and their economy stinking in the short term...and possibly the long term.

RE: Brexit Referendum Day - bfine32 - 06-24-2016

I don't think Trump could have planned his business trip to the UK any better:

https://gma.yahoo.com/donald-trump-calls-uk-vote-leave-eu-purely-110740512--abc-news-topstories.html#

Quote:Trump compared the U.K. referendum vote, dubbed “Brexit,” to America’s presidential election. "People really see a big parallel," he noted today at a news conference at his Turnberry golf course.

“What I like is that I love to see people take their country back. And that's really what's happening in the United States,” Trump said.

RE: Brexit Referendum Day - Rotobeast - 06-24-2016

I think you will see others pull out of the EU and then from their own little club.
This could get hairy.

RE: Brexit Referendum Day - SunsetBengal - 06-24-2016

(06-24-2016, 11:04 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I think you will see others pull out of the EU and then from their own little club.
This could get hairy.

Are you talking about the German women, again?

[Image: 13438965_1706592616258502_28849440014833...e=5805F1C4]

RE: Brexit Referendum Day - Benton - 06-24-2016

(06-24-2016, 11:04 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I think you will see others pull out of the EU and then from their own little club.
This could get hairy.

That's one thing I've been wondering about. I was reading an article last night about how this could impact US companies with UK contracts. Basically that some companies gave better deals because they hoped it would lead to other EU contracts. So if they're out, and with some of their businesses putting pressure on, will that encourage Britain to firm up trade agreements with some non-EU countries quickly to say 'hey, look, our businesses are still going to be as competitive and have as much global clout because we're with Macedonia and Morocco now!'

I think the EU needs Great Britian worse that Britian needs the EU. Sorta like the US leaving NAFTA.

RE: Brexit Referendum Day - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-24-2016

This could get hairy.

Apparently the Netherlands (my people!) is already planning a similar referendum.

Credit given when it is due:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obama-brexit-uk-spoken-respect-134818915.html;_ylt=AwrBT6JuZG1XlG0Aq31XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyYmhrdDd1BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQTAyMDBfMQRzZWMDc2M-

Quote:"The people of the United Kingdom have spoken, and we respect their decision," Obama said.

He continued: "The special relationship between the United States and the United Kingdom is enduring, and the United Kingdom's membership in NATO remains a vital cornerstone of US foreign, security, and economic policy."

The president sought to reassure the EU that the US would continue to have a strong relationship with it.

"So too is our relationship with the European Union, which has done so much to promote stability, stimulate economic growth, and foster the spread of democratic values and ideals across the continent and beyond," he said.

Obama added: "The United Kingdom and the European Union will remain indispensable partners of the United States even as they begin negotiating their ongoing relationship to ensure continued stability, security, and prosperity for Europe, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and the world."

Outstanding job Mr President.

RE: Brexit Referendum Day - Griever - 06-24-2016

(06-24-2016, 01:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Credit given when it is due:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obama-brexit-uk-spoken-respect-134818915.html;_ylt=AwrBT6JuZG1XlG0Aq31XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyYmhrdDd1BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQTAyMDBfMQRzZWMDc2M-

Outstanding job Mr President.

yeah its almost like hes a real person and not a bafoon like people wanna make him out to be

(06-24-2016, 11:30 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Apparently the Netherlands (my people!) is already planning a similar referendum.

France is looking at it as well.

To me, in the end, this sentiment going around is less about sovereignty or immigration or any of that, but about identity. The EU attempts to make the people European more than anything else, but many of these countries have some strong nationalistic pride that runs deep. Take a look at the countries really looking at departing and those that aren't causing as much of a stir. The ones that are more okay with the EU have been independent nations for a shorter time than the U.S. Just something I was thinking about today.

RE: Brexit Referendum Day - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-24-2016

(06-24-2016, 02:59 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: France is looking at it as well.

To me, in the end, this sentiment going around is less about sovereignty or immigration or any of that, but about identity. The EU attempts to make the people European more than anything else, but many of these countries have some strong nationalistic pride that runs deep. Take a look at the countries really looking at departing and those that aren't causing as much of a stir. The ones that are more okay with the EU have been independent nations for a shorter time than the U.S. Just something I was thinking about today.

That's a large part of it as well.  How can you expect a nation with hundreds of years of a shared identity to subsume it, almost entirely, to what was supposed to be an economic partnership and loose confederation.  I also think this is partly due to Germany essentially calling the shots now, something that was not originally intended.  Eastern Europe is already leaning towards bailing on the EU, if the Netherlands, France or anyone else leaves it's a done deal.  Germany overplayed their hand and underestimated the consequences.  Good job Merkel.

RE: Brexit Referendum Day - Rotobeast - 06-24-2016

(06-24-2016, 11:15 AM)Benton Wrote: That's one thing I've been wondering about. I was reading an article last night about how this could impact US companies with UK contracts. Basically that some companies gave better deals because they hoped it would lead to other EU contracts. So if they're out, and with some of their businesses putting pressure on, will that encourage Britain to firm up trade agreements with some non-EU countries quickly to say 'hey, look, our businesses are still going to be as competitive and have as much global clout because we're with Macedonia and Morocco now!'

I wondered about the rise in stocks, yesterday.
That certainly corrected today.

RE: Brexit Referendum Day - Millhouse - 06-24-2016

(06-24-2016, 02:59 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: France is looking at it as well.

I dont know, from things i have been reading up on it does seem the identity issue was quite important to the leave campaign, but immigration from the other 'borderless' EU countries was a key issue. I guess they kind of go hand in hand.  And it isnt as much the immigration from outside the EU like from the Middle East or Africa, but from the Eastern EU countries like Romania, Lithuania, etc that are part of the EU whom moved to England in waves for better jobs. 

I think everyone is missing the biggest question mark from this "leave" vote:

Will affect the Bengal game in London?

RE: Brexit Referendum Day - Mike M (the other one) - 06-24-2016

(06-24-2016, 04:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think everyone is missing the biggest question mark from this "leave" vote:

Why would it? Both teams are from the US, and we have no plans that i am aware of to stop trading with them.

(06-24-2016, 04:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think everyone is missing the biggest question mark from this "leave" vote:

No.

If the Bengals think it's a prime time game they will still lose.