Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan (/Thread-thoughts-on-HRCs-free-college-tuition-loan-plan)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - Mike M (the other one) - 08-10-2016

I think the idea is right, but the methodology is all wrong.

We first need to clean up the Public Schools and the Department of Education, See Fred's thread about Federal/State controlled schools.

As Pat said, some are not ready and some are. Get the early side straightened out and the College side will become clearer.

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - Belsnickel - 08-10-2016

(08-10-2016, 01:23 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Nearly anyone who can get into college can get a loan to pay for it. I do not think people are prepared enough for college. I think some people go to college when they should not. I think there should be funding for vocational education for those who are capable of holding skilled jobs and do not want to be ripped off by for profit vocational centers. I think having the government pay for college doesn't address why college costs so much.

Funding community college is one thing. If you can succeed there, you can get a lot financial assistance for a 4 year college. I think giving assistance to those who get specific degrees and maintain certain grades is a better idea.

I'm also a fan of revamping education overall. Not everyone needs an academic degree. They are needed byt some, but most people would to better with a professional degree or a trade school or something. The mentality that everyone needs to go to college is something we need to rid ourselves of and that has to start much earlier.

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - BmorePat87 - 08-10-2016

(08-10-2016, 02:04 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm also a fan of revamping education overall. Not everyone needs an academic degree. They are needed byt some, but most people would to better with a professional degree or a trade school or something. The mentality that everyone needs to go to college is something we need to rid ourselves of and that has to start much earlier.

We have a special high school that you can go to during your junior and senior years. You go there for half the day and take part in special programs that lead to occupational certification when you graduate for some of them. Autotech, engineering, health, biotech, management, hospitality, construction, and various others. It's a good program for my guys (kids with specific learning disabilities, ADHD, high functioning autism) who don't want to go to college but have a lot to offer. 

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - Belsnickel - 08-10-2016

(08-10-2016, 02:36 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: We have a special high school that you can go to during your junior and senior years. You go there for half the day and take part in special programs that lead to occupational certification when you graduate for some of them. Autotech, engineering, health, biotech, management, hospitality, construction, and various others. It's a good program for my guys (kids with specific learning disabilities, ADHD, high functioning autism) who don't want to go to college but have a lot to offer. 

We have something like that around these parts. http://www.mtcva.com/Home.aspx

Honestly, more people should take advantage of that. We need the people in those fields. They can even get more education later for them, but it doesn't have to be university. Of course, this would require some higher ed institutions to revamp their models, but it would be worth it.

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 08-10-2016

(08-10-2016, 02:04 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm also a fan of revamping education overall. Not everyone needs an academic degree. They are needed byt some, but most people would to better with a professional degree or a trade school or something. The mentality that everyone needs to go to college is something we need to rid ourselves of and that has to start much earlier.

(08-10-2016, 02:36 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: We have a special high school that you can go to during your junior and senior years. You go there for half the day and take part in special programs that lead to occupational certification when you graduate for some of them. Autotech, engineering, health, biotech, management, hospitality, construction, and various others. It's a good program for my guys (kids with specific learning disabilities, ADHD, high functioning autism) who don't want to go to college but have a lot to offer. 

Completely agree.  College is a huge money racket IMO.  Necessary for some fields, not so much for others.  My mom taught at a  vocational school for 40yrs here in the Cincy area (Great Oaks).  When she started back in the mid-late 70's it was "secretarial" skills and now I think they call it "office professional".  Not everyone needs to go to college.

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - Beaker - 08-11-2016

(08-10-2016, 02:50 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Not everyone needs to go to college.

Nor should everyone. Some students are better served taking their talents to the work force after high school.

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - PhilHos - 08-11-2016

(08-10-2016, 02:50 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Completely agree.  College is a huge money racket IMO.  Necessary for some fields, not so much for others.  My mom taught at a  vocational school for 40yrs here in the Cincy area (Great Oaks).  When she started back in the mid-late 70's it was "secretarial" skills and now I think they call it "office professional".  Not everyone needs to go to college.

Your mom goes to college. Ninja

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - bfine32 - 08-11-2016

We should just do it as Ayn Rand suggested.

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - GMDino - 08-11-2016

As others have said:  If these plans included funding for technical school I could get behind them more.

Not everyone should go to college.  No matter how "smart" there are.

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 08-11-2016

(08-11-2016, 10:56 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Your mom goes to college. Ninja

Graduated from Miami U in Oxford OH.   Actually the two of you would get along quite well, she's religious, conservative, and republican.  I still love her though, we just don't talk about politics. Ninja

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - Mike M (the other one) - 08-11-2016

(08-11-2016, 03:40 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Graduated from Miami U in Oxford OH.   Actually the two of you would get along quite well, she's religious, conservative, and republican.  I still love her though, we just don't talk about politics. Ninja

Shocked Are you pimping you mom?

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - Mike M (the other one) - 08-11-2016

(08-11-2016, 03:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: As others have said:  If these plans included funding for technical school I could get behind them more.

Not everyone should go to college.  No matter how "smart" there are.

Yes, not everyone is cut out for College, Some would rather learn a trade.
If possible, what should happen is before the kids leave School, they should take some kind of personality test to help guide them onto a career path. I took one and mine told me that I loved numbers (which is true) and suggested that I would be happiest as either a Programmer or Accountant. So funny too, cause now I'm a programmer that works closely with accountants..
I know that there is no one test that would solve all of the problems, some people will want to be something other that what it recommends and that's ok, but the goal would be to help steer the kids in a good direction so that they aren't lost for their first year or two trying to figure out what to get a degree in.

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - GMDino - 08-11-2016

(08-11-2016, 05:27 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yes, not everyone is cut out for College, Some would rather learn a trade.
If possible, what should happen is before the kids leave School, they should take some kind of personality test to help guide them onto a career path. I took one and mine told me that I loved numbers (which is true) and suggested that I would be happiest as either a Programmer or Accountant. So funny too, cause now I'm a programmer that works closely with accountants..
I know that there is no one test that would solve all of the problems, some people will want to be something other that what it recommends and that's ok, but the goal would be to help steer the kids in a good direction so that they aren't lost for their first year or two trying to figure out what to get a degree in.

I always wanted to be a lawyer.  But I was shy and didn't like to talk in front of people.  When I broke out of that I decided I wanted to be an accountant since I loved numbers.

One semester of accounting told me otherwise.

So I went into Communication and worked in radio instead.

Now I do sales.

But I HAD to go to college as I have no sort of physical skills at all.  I am mechanically DEclined!  Luckily I've made three careers so far from being able to talk.

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 08-11-2016

(08-11-2016, 05:18 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Shocked Are you pimping you mom?

What's your offer? Mellow

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - Belsnickel - 08-11-2016

(08-11-2016, 05:27 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yes, not everyone is cut out for College, Some would rather learn a trade.

I know I talk a lot about Germany, but learning a language leads one to learn many things about the country and culture.

Anyway, first there is Grundschule, for ages 6-12. During this time, the teachers get to know the students and their abilities and send them on to (traditionally) one of three options:

Gymnasium - This will take them up until 18 or 19 and is preparatory for university. It is focused more on academics.

Realschule - This takes a student through about age 16 and is a broader focus. Oftentimes this will lead students to a professional degree (like business, nursing, etc.).

Hauptschule - This ends at around 15 or 16 and will often lead a student towards a trade.

Realschule and Hauptschule (and sometimes Gymnasium) students can also go on to a vocational school afterwards. To attend university, you must pass the Abitur, which is administered at the end of Gymnasium as it prepares you for it, but any student can take the exam.

It is more complex than this as there are other types of schools and combination schools and what not. But I have always thought this system was rather interesting and would be great. I don't think it would work in the US, though, because too many people want to believe their child can do anything. The American dream and all that. Also, parents are notoriously blind to their own child's limitations when it comes to education, at least from my experience.

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - 6andcounting - 08-11-2016

(08-11-2016, 05:48 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I know I talk a lot about Germany, but learning a language leads one to learn many things about the country and culture.

Anyway, first there is Grundschule, for ages 6-12. During this time, the teachers get to know the students and their abilities and send them on to (traditionally) one of three options:

Gymnasium - This will take them up until 18 or 19 and is preparatory for university. It is focused more on academics.

Realschule - This takes a student through about age 16 and is a broader focus. Oftentimes this will lead students to a professional degree (like business, nursing, etc.).

Hauptschule - This ends at around 15 or 16 and will often lead a student towards a trade.

Realschule and Hauptschule (and sometimes Gymnasium) students can also go on to a vocational school afterwards. To attend university, you must pass the Abitur, which is administered at the end of Gymnasium as it prepares you for it, but any student can take the exam.

It is more complex than this as there are other types of schools and combination schools and what not. But I have always thought this system was rather interesting and would be great. I don't think it would work in the US, though, because too many people want to believe their child can do anything. The American dream and all that. Also, parents are notoriously blind to their own child's limitations when it comes to education, at least from my experience.

Your telling me if I grew up in Germany my schooling from age 6 to 19 would have been nothing but gym class and than I move straight on up to college? Street ball, kickball, and dodge ball for days son!

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - bfine32 - 08-11-2016

(08-11-2016, 05:27 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yes, not everyone is cut out for College, Some would rather learn a trade.

Yes!! The Council of Vocations

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - Belsnickel - 08-11-2016

(08-11-2016, 06:26 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Your telling he if I grew up in Germany my schooling from age 6 to 19 would have been nothing but gym class and than I move straight on up to college? Street ball, kickball, and dodge ball for days son!

More like what we typically have in high school, but on steroids. Also, most schools only operate in the mornings and the students go home for lunch, then potential extracurriculars, hausaufgabe (homework), or what have you.

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - JustWinBaby - 08-12-2016

It would be an absolute game changer if schools were on the hook for student loans. In other words, if you can't get a job or the job you can get does not enable you to pay back the loan then THE SCHOOL - and not the taxpayer - should eat the loss. Because what will happen is schools will be forced to be more careful of admitting incapable students, and more aggressive in failing out bad students.

Because what easy money/loans simply encourage schools to accept and string along incapable students. And that also has the effect to water down the value/ROI of a degree.

There's absolutely no incentive for schools to hold costs down, nor to keep students from piling up debt. And truthfully schools already engage in significant wealth transfer as wealthier students paying full boat are effectively subsidizing significant scholarships and grants to less affluent students.

RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - Beaker - 08-12-2016

(08-12-2016, 10:17 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: It would be an absolute game changer if schools were on the hook for student loans.  In other words, if you can't get a job or the job you can get does not enable you to pay back the loan then THE SCHOOL - and not the taxpayer - should eat the loss. 

Hard to judge who are capable coming out of college since a good job depends highly on the results of an interview. A student may be an excellent student as far as answering in class, passing tests, and getting high grades. But some of those people also may make the wonderful decision to get face tattoos, slouch when the sit across from an interviewer, not prepare for the interview and therefore have no knowledge of the company they are interviewing for to show the interviewer, have a bad attitude or an entitlement mentality that comes across to the interviewer, or any other myriad of bad choices or lack of personal skills. That makes it hard to pin the responsibility of not getting a job on the school.