Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Joe Burrow injury updates - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Joe Burrow injury updates (/Thread-Joe-Burrow-injury-updates)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 08-20-2023

While I think both guys get locked up, we are starting to run out of runway. With $22 mil in cap space.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - NUGDUKWE - 08-20-2023

(08-20-2023, 12:20 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: While I think both guys get locked up, we are starting to run out of runway. With $22 mil in cap space.

I wish I knew if Burrow was pushing for a Higgins extension as part of his demands. It just doesn't seem possible to me. It seems like it would really restrict us on free agents and force us to build thru the draft. Which is probably what you want but when you got Reader, Awuzie and Jonah all set to be free agents thats a little too much to fill in the draft atleast in one year. 

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Housh - 08-20-2023

(08-20-2023, 12:34 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I wish I knew if Burrow was pushing for a Higgins extension as part of his demands. It just doesn't seem possible to me. It seems like it would really restrict us on free agents and force us to build thru the draft. Which is probably what you want but when you got Reader, Awuzie and Jonah all set to be free agents thats a little too much to fill in the draft atleast in one year. 

This is why i think we resign Reader. There is simply no other way to get an impact NT like him. I guarantee if a DJ Reader does magically exist in next years draft, there ain’t no way in hell he’ll fall to us.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Housh - 08-20-2023

(08-20-2023, 12:38 PM)Housh Wrote: This is why i think we resign Reader. There is simply no other way to get an impact NT like him. I guarantee if a DJ Reader does magically exist in next years draft, there ain’t no way in hell he’ll fall to us.

That would make our core defense Wilson, Trey, Ossai, Reader, CTB, Battle, Turner, Ivey, Pratt.

The money we pour into the d line is offset by our secondary being relatively cheap

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Mike M (the other one) - 08-20-2023

(08-20-2023, 12:34 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I wish I knew if Burrow was pushing for a Higgins extension as part of his demands. It just doesn't seem possible to me. It seems like it would really restrict us on free agents and force us to build thru the draft. Which is probably what you want but when you got Reader, Awuzie and Jonah all set to be free agents thats a little too much to fill in the draft atleast in one year. 

Who wouldn't, Then we'd know where the hold up is and it could have negative backlash. But have  to commend them for keeping mum on it all.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 08-20-2023

(08-20-2023, 03:02 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Who wouldn't, Then we'd know where the hold up is and it could have negative backlash. But have  to commend them for keeping mum on it all.

Yep, good point. 

I just thought that by now the word would be, done deal. Instead, the word continues to be mum. 

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Essex Johnson - 08-20-2023

If any player on roster should be slow to signing an extension it is Higgins, he really is in great position to test the market to be honest especially at WR... plus he has this year to add some more $$$ to his next contract.

(08-20-2023, 03:24 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: If any player on roster should be slow to signing an extension it is Higgins, he really is in great position to test the market to be honest especially at WR... plus he has this year to add some more $$$ to his next contract.

True and I also would think the Bengals aren't in a big hurry. I'd assume Chase is a lock assuming things remain on the course they are and you may want as much information as possible when making a big decision like this with two very good WR. So let the year play out and reassess the WR situation again.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - casear2727 - 08-20-2023

(08-20-2023, 05:01 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: True and I also would think the Bengals aren't in a big hurry. I'd assume Chase is a lock assuming things remain on the course they are and you may want as much information as possible when making a big decision like this with two very good WR. So let the year play out and reassess the WR situation again.

Im not sure why the Bengals would not be in a hurry to extend Higgins?  He only becomes vastly more expensive next season unless he is injured. 

(08-20-2023, 06:38 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Im not sure why the Bengals would not be in a hurry to extend Higgins?  He only becomes vastly more expensive next season unless he is injured. 

I'm just guessing. It's seems like Burrow and Chase are priority 1 and 2 to resign. Higgins might be a high priority to the team and Burrow but it'll be tough to make it work. I was just thinking letting the season play out gives you more information on where you stand with all our other free agents along with any new info regarding Chase and Higgins. But that's just an idea. We are running out of time pretty quick though as they usually don't extend once the season starts. I was very confident they would announce the Burrow deal but now I'm not so sure at least this off season.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - TheFan - 08-20-2023

(08-20-2023, 03:05 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Yep, good point. 

I just thought that by now the word would be, done deal. Instead, the word continues to be mum. 

It is strange it's not done yet. Every other QB for this year is done except for Burrow. It's not like we're waiting for other dominos to fall at this point and reportedly esch side knew what the other wanted like 7 months ago. So what could possibly be the hold up? 

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - SouthernFan - 08-20-2023

(08-20-2023, 07:31 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm just guessing. It's seems like Burrow and Chase are priority 1 and 2 to resign. Higgins might be a high priority to the team and Burrow but it'll be tough to make it work. I was just thinking letting the season play out gives you more information on where you stand with all our other free agents along with any new info regarding Chase and Higgins. But that's just an idea. We are running out of time pretty quick though as they usually don't extend once the season starts. I was very confident they would announce the Burrow deal but now I'm not so sure at least this off season.

The past three seasons have shown that what we all have thought they usually do no longer applies!Cigar

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Synric - 08-20-2023

I havent watched the new Netflix Quarterback show yet but I bet they want the contract signing at the end of episode 1... so somewhere near the end of pre-season would be my guess.

(08-20-2023, 09:15 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: The past three seasons have shown that what we all have thought they usually do no longer applies!Cigar

They're still appears to be somethings they refuse to do. But who knows maybe some of those will change with Burrows contract.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Nately120 - 08-21-2023

(08-20-2023, 09:15 PM)TheFan Wrote: It is strange it's not done yet. Every other QB for this year is done except for Burrow. It's not like we're waiting for other dominos to fall at this point and reportedly esch side knew what the other wanted like 7 months ago. So what could possibly be the hold up? 

If Burrow is as confident in himself as we are in him, there is a chance he could put the 1st Bengals' Lombardi, league MVP, and SB MVP on his resume this year and be set to damn near own this franchise with his contract.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - BRM13 - 08-21-2023

(08-20-2023, 09:24 PM)Synric Wrote: I havent watched the new Netflix Quarterback show yet but I bet they want the contract signing at the end of episode 1... so somewhere near the end of pre-season would be my guess.

I've been wondering if Burrow wants to downplay it to the extent possible and announce it the day he starts practicing again, so he can say he wants to focus on football not the contract.  With all the hype about his injury the money stuff might be in the background a bit.  It probably won't work, but he might want to try to do that rather than have one press conference where all he does is answer questions about how it feels to be highest paid player, what he'll do with the money, did he 'take less' for Tee, etc.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - TheFan - 08-21-2023

(08-21-2023, 12:23 AM)Nately120 Wrote: If Burrow is as confident in himself as we are in him, there is a chance he could put the 1st Bengals' Lombardi, league MVP, and SB MVP on his resume this year and be set to damn near own this franchise with his contract.

He definitely could, but I feel like he's already said he understands we need to pay other players as well. Which to me sounds like while not taking a team friendly deal by any means he's not trying to completely blowout the numbers Lamar and Hurts got who have similar accomplishments. 

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Sled21 - 08-21-2023

I proposed that scenario a couple of months ago, that Burrow might take a discount but only if the team uses the money to resign jis weapons. No one knows if that's the case, but it makes sense. If he takes the discount first, then Higgins doesn't get a new deal, then he took less for nothing.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Nately120 - 08-21-2023

(08-21-2023, 10:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I proposed that scenario a couple of months ago, that Burrow might take a discount but only if the team uses the money to resign jis weapons. No one knows if that's the case, but it makes sense. If he takes the discount first, then Higgins doesn't get a new deal, then he took less for nothing.

Are Burrow, Chase, and Tee and their agent(s) all in this together?  In any other scenario we're looking at two #1 WRs and one QB who should be the highest paid NFL player trying to finagle a situation where they can all fit under the cap and still have enough money to field the rest of an NFL team, right?

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Ell Prez - 08-21-2023

(08-21-2023, 10:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I proposed that scenario a couple of months ago, that Burrow might take a discount but only if the team uses the money to resign jis weapons. No one knows if that's the case, but it makes sense. If he takes the discount first, then Higgins doesn't get a new deal, then he took less for nothing.

That’s possible, but I would consider it unlikely. Why hasnt Tee signed? He knows his QB is going to bay for him and willing to take a discount and Tee is gonna play hard ball in negotiations?

The most likely explanation is often the right explanation. The Bengals and Burrow are negotiating the largest NFL contract ever and it takes a lot of back and forth.