Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Joe Burrow injury updates - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Joe Burrow injury updates (/Thread-Joe-Burrow-injury-updates)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Ell Prez - 08-21-2023

(08-21-2023, 10:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I proposed that scenario a couple of months ago, that Burrow might take a discount but only if the team uses the money to resign jis weapons. No one knows if that's the case, but it makes sense. If he takes the discount first, then Higgins doesn't get a new deal, then he took less for nothing.

That’s possible, but I would consider it unlikely. Why hasnt Tee signed? He knows his QB is going to bay for him and willing to take a discount and Tee is gonna play hard ball in negotiations?

The most likely explanation is often the right explanation. The Bengals and Burrow are negotiating the hugest NFL contract ever and it takes a lot of back and forth.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Nately120 - 08-21-2023

(08-21-2023, 11:08 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: That’s possible, but I would consider it unlikely. Why hasnt Tee signed? He knows his QB is going to bay for him and willing to take a discount and Tee is gonna play hard ball in negotiations?

The most likely explanation is often the right explanation. The Bengals and Burrow are negotiating the hugest NFL contract ever and it takes a lot of back and forth.

I was going to say, should Tee be signed right now?  I was a bit concerned yet convinced some desperate NFL team would give him one of those standard "make the #2 guy who produces on a stacked offense with an elite QB an instant #1 in order to hopefully save your troubled team" ultra high contracts, but I figured we were working on a deal that would come in team-friendly BEFORE Burrow got his team-friendly deal done.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Essex Johnson - 08-21-2023

(08-20-2023, 05:01 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: True and I also would think the Bengals aren't in a big hurry. I'd assume Chase is a lock assuming things remain on the course they are and you may want as much information as possible when making a big decision like this with two very good WR. So let the year play out and reassess the WR situation again.

agree and once season starts, end discussions and focus on the year

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Essex Johnson - 08-21-2023

(08-20-2023, 06:38 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Im not sure why the Bengals would not be in a hurry to extend Higgins?  He only becomes vastly more expensive next season unless he is injured. 

Two reasons: Burrow and Chase.. Higgins is 3rd on that list.. Burrow has to sign i think before Higgins than have to project Chase or maybe do Chase and see what is left for Higgins.  If im Higgins  i looking for a #1`$$$ 

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - casear2727 - 08-21-2023

(08-20-2023, 07:31 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm just guessing. It's seems like Burrow and Chase are priority 1 and 2 to resign. Higgins might be a high priority to the team and Burrow but it'll be tough to make it work. I was just thinking letting the season play out gives you more information on where you stand with all our other free agents along with any new info regarding Chase and Higgins. But that's just an idea. We are running out of time pretty quick though as they usually don't extend once the season starts. I was very confident they would announce the Burrow deal but now I'm not so sure at least this off season.

Higgins situation will be a bidding war with 20 other teams after the season, we are not bidding with anyone else right now.

Also, I'm not sure why they would want to extend Chase and Higgins at the same time?  Burrows deal will hopefully be years longer than Chase's which allows more flexibility in signing Higgins now.  Waiting until next year to do both WRs eliminates the staggering concept, which again eliminates flexibility.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - casear2727 - 08-21-2023

(08-21-2023, 12:40 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Two reasons: Burrow and Chase.. Higgins is 3rd on that list.. Burrow has to sign i think before Higgins than have to project Chase or maybe do Chase and see what is left for Higgins.  If im Higgins  i looking for a #1`$$$ 

Burrow could be waiting on Higgins.  Higgins is up now.  Chase is not.  If Higgins wants to be a number 1 with number 1 money he can move on.  But Higgins will only become more expensive the longer we wait if they do want to extend him, which seems to be the mindset of the club and Burrow.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - basballguy - 08-21-2023

(08-21-2023, 12:40 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Two reasons: Burrow and Chase.. Higgins is 3rd on that list.. Burrow has to sign i think before Higgins than have to project Chase or maybe do Chase and see what is left for Higgins.  If im Higgins  i looking for a #1`$$$ 

(08-21-2023, 01:42 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Higgins situation will be a bidding war with 20 other teams after the season, we are not bidding with anyone else right now.

Also, I'm not sure why they would want to extend Chase and Higgins at the same time?  Burrows deal will hopefully be years longer than Chase's which allows more flexibility in signing Higgins now.  Waiting until next year to do both WRs eliminates the staggering concept, which again eliminates flexibility.

I think caesar is spot on here. The players (and management) have been dropping innuendos about how important it is they all stay together....if they mean it then we should see Higgins signed this offseason...I'm not a cap wizard but I don't think there's any advantage to waiting until next season.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - pally - 08-21-2023

Joe needs 1 rep to be ready for the season

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - 007BengalsFan - 08-21-2023

(08-21-2023, 11:08 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: That’s possible, but I would consider it unlikely. Why hasnt Tee signed? He knows his QB is going to bay for him and willing to take a discount and Tee is gonna play hard ball in negotiations?

I think this is the correct explanation.  Burrow is trying to get everything he possibly can.  Forget this talk about taking any kind of discount to keep everyone together.  If Burrow was going to take a discount, the contract would have already been signed.  He is not waiting on Tee.  I think it comes down to the Bengals are focusing in on Burrow and he is wanting to be the highest paid player in the NFL.  It also wouldn't surprise me with all the talk about a percentage of the cap he is also trying to get a raise every single year from a contract that would already pay him as the highest player in the NFL.  Instead of signing a contract that would pay him like Herbert at 53-55 million where the hit isnt so bad toward the end of the contract,  I would guess Burrow wants that 55 million plus have his contract raise every year where you dont see any type of relief toward the end of the contract.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - jj22 - 08-21-2023

You guys still holding out hope Tee will sign? The FO can't do business with his agent. They never could, and never will. Tee will be tagged next season and that as with all tagged players will tell you it's his last year.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Bengalion - 08-21-2023

Most teams don't have two Top 5 WRs on their roster, they usually run the business with one well paid WR they drafted/signed on FA, plus young players on rookie contracts and veterans with some promise or low upside. Just look at the Browns and Steelers: the Browns are paying Amari Cooper 20 millions per year and have guys like Elija Moore (former second round pick drafted by the Jets in 2021) and Donovan Peoples-Jones on rookie contracts. The Steelers have George Pickens playing under his rookie contract, Diontae Johsson earning 18 millions per year plus guys like Allen Robinson and unproven rookies on cheap deals. The Ravens don't have a single superstar at WR, they count on Mark Andrews (one of the best TEs) and a lot of former first round picks (Nelson Agholor is decent/mediocre, Laquon Treadwell a bust, and Odell playing on his past production) to make the passing game work.

That's how most teams play. If Katie and Tobin somehow manage to sign Higgins and Chase then they deserve an award.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Soonerpeace - 08-21-2023

(08-21-2023, 05:01 PM)jj22 Wrote: You guys still holding out hope Tee will sign? The FO can't do business with his agent. They never could, and never will. Tee will be tagged next season and that as with all tagged players will tell you it's his last year.

Yes I’m not holding out hope I’m expecting it.I’ll be shocked if he’s not signed.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - jj22 - 08-21-2023

He'll have to change agents then. That would be the news we need to hear to hope that something was actually going to happen.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - NotBigzo - 08-21-2023

Two updates of Zac and Co finding a convoluted way to say nothing at all.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Big_Ern - 08-21-2023

(08-21-2023, 05:01 PM)jj22 Wrote: You guys still holding out hope Tee will sign? The FO can't do business with his agent. They never could, and never will. Tee will be tagged next season and that as with all tagged players will tell you it's his last year.

Why not use the transition tag on him and either match or get two first rounders 

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Nepa - 08-21-2023

(08-21-2023, 04:52 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I think this is the correct explanation.  Burrow is trying to get everything he possibly can.  Forget this talk about taking any kind of discount to keep everyone together.  If Burrow was going to take a discount, the contract would have already been signed.  He is not waiting on Tee.  I think it comes down to the Bengals are focusing in on Burrow and he is wanting to be the highest paid player in the NFL.  It also wouldn't surprise me with all the talk about a percentage of the cap he is also trying to get a raise every single year from a contract that would already pay him as the highest player in the NFL.  Instead of signing a contract that would pay him like Herbert at 53-55 million where the hit isnt so bad toward the end of the contract,  I would guess Burrow wants that 55 million plus have his contract raise every year where you dont see any type of relief toward the end of the contract.

If that were to happen as you surmise, it would be very disappointing. In a world where Aaron Rodgers takes a pay cut of over $30 million guaranteed dollars in order that the Jets can sign top players -- and have been because of the discount -- the Bengals QB would seriously handicap the team? 

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - TheLeonardLeap - 08-21-2023

(08-21-2023, 06:57 PM)Nepa Wrote: If that were to happen as you surmise, it would be very disappointing. In a world where Aaron Rodgers takes a pay cut of over $30 million guaranteed dollars in order that the Jets can sign top players -- and have been because of the discount -- the Bengals QB would seriously handicap the team? 

Lol. 

Aaron Rodgers is 40 years old and has already made over $300m in the NFL alone. He got paid the most he possibly could for many years. He was the highest paid player in football last year, was tied for 6th highest paid the year before that, 5th highest paid the year before that, 3rd highest paid the year before that.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Nately120 - 08-21-2023

(08-21-2023, 07:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lol. 

Aaron Rodgers is 40 years old and has already made over $300m in the NFL alone. He got paid the most he possibly could for many years. He was the highest paid player in football last year, was tied for 6th highest paid the year before that, 5th highest paid the year before that, 3rd highest paid the year before that.

I could see Burrow taking a friendly deal in 2037 to make one last push with the Saints. 

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - 007BengalsFan - 08-21-2023

(08-21-2023, 07:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lol. 

Rodgers has been greedy.  Thats part of why he only has 1 Super Bowl ring.  He wanted to keep getting paid all this money so that leaves less to keep and bring in more talent around him.  Now he is at the end of career and takes a cut to chase another ring.  Its probably too late at this point with all the other talent in the AFC.  Meanwhile Patrick Mahomes and his 45 million per year salary and Travis Kelce with his 14 million per year salary will be favored to add to their collection.

RE: Joe Burrow injury updates - Frank Booth - 08-21-2023

(08-21-2023, 08:19 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Rodgers has been greedy.  Thats part of why he only has 1 Super Bowl ring.  He wanted to keep getting paid all this money so that leaves less to keep and bring in more talent around him.  Now he is at the end of career and takes a cut to chase another ring.  Its probably too late at this point with all the other talent in the AFC.  Meanwhile Patrick Mahomes and his 45 million per year salary and Travis Kelce with his 14 million per year salary will be favored to add to their collection.

He only has 1 super bowl ring due to choking, Mike McCarthy, and bad luck