Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** (/Thread-NFL-Free-Agency-News-Signings-Thread)

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - WeezyBengal - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:37 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Looks like Vonn Bell is coming back. I love it.

Huh? 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:32 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Is Armstead an upgrade over a healthy Reader? 

They are not the same type of player. Armstead is like 6'7" 290. pounds. He has a top 5 PFF pass rush grade. He plays the run OK, but is not a run stuffer. Longer. Lanky. Slimmer.

Reader is 6'3", 335. He is a run stuffer. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Au165 - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:38 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I dont understand it either.  If he only played 1 year all you would lose would be a 7th round pick that the Bengals never hit on anyway.  If he would sign cheaper than the 17.6 million why not just pay him the 17.6 million the first year then less the second year.

The issue is it would have been worse for SF. They utilized a post June 1st designation on him moving his cap hit from 25 million this year to 10 million. Had they traded him he would have counted as that $25 million hit which would have been prohibitive to the 49ers cap situation.

(03-11-2024, 02:06 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Well they said they didnt want a revolving door.  Sample did look better catching the ball last season.  I like the signing.

So sign Armstead and Reader, then cut BJ Hill, right? 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:42 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: So sign Armstead and Reader, then cut BJ Hill, right? 

No. You still need depth. We rotate DTs. 

And both Armstead & Reader have missed considerable time lately. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - casear2727 - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 09:46 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would not call last years draft a bad draft... 1st every player made the team which is a bit rare especially on a good team.. Robbins under performed but i did not see a bust after 1st year for any player.  2022 had some struggles but not horrible, 2021 was bad draft outside of Chase...2020 was an excellent draft

We have no idea what last year's draft class will eventually look like, as of today it has produced 1 starter, maybe DJ starts this year, and a bad punter.

Dax is a big question mark
CTB seems to be a good one.
Carter is not good
Would Volson start for other teams?
Tycen cant stay healthy
Gunter is a PS guy.

Carman - bad
Ossai - miss
Samle -meh
Shelvin - bad
Smith - bad
Hill - bad
Evans - bad
Hubert - never made it

2020 gave us 3 starters in the first 3 rounds, we also picked at the TOP of each round.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - TecmoBengals - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:44 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We have no idea what last year's draft class will eventually look like, as of today it has produced 1 starter, maybe DJ starts this year, and a bad punter.

Carter is not good
Tycen cant stay healthy
Gunter is a PS guy.

Carman - bad
Ossai - miss
Samle -meh
Shelvin - bad
Smith - bad
Hill - bad
Evans - bad
Hubert - never made it

2020 gave us 3 starters in the first 3 rounds, we also picked at the TOP of each round.

Your post depresses me because I agree with the assessments.

Who Dey Cry

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:44 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: No. You still need depth. We rotate DTs. 

And both Armstead & Reader have missed considerable time lately. 

Yep, you keep all 3 if you can, and we can with our cap space.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Bengalstripes9 - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:40 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: They are not the same type of player. Armstead is like 6'7" 290. pounds. He has a top 5 PFF pass rush grade. He plays the run OK, but is not a run stuffer. Longer. Lanky. Slimmer.

Reader is 6'3", 335. He is a run stuffer. 

Sign them both. Let's Go!!

In all seriousness that would solidify the dline and pass rush. 
But injury-wise that would be risky. And it likely means we draft OT in 1, WR in 2 or visa versa and maybe miss out on a strong DT class.

I think it's very important we cash in on a good DT draft class and draft a great DT for the future. 

They need to pair that with signing someone though. And Reader fits our biggest need at NT. 
It'd be ideal to have our rookie come in behind a starter as a NT or 3T and rotate in.

(03-13-2024, 10:08 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They weren’t releasing Mixon until they had Moss. I’m sure if teams were interested earlier and they could have got a better pick. But teams were waiting on teams to release players. The market quickly changed.. Personally JMO I don’t they had made the decision for sure to cut him. Had Mike Brown known he’d have made them much sooner.

I disagree.  The market did not change whatsoever.  Moss was a target from the beginning assuming none of the tier 1 guys dropped.

It would be dumb to cut Mixon without having Moss, but cutting him was always the plan.  

(03-13-2024, 05:44 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We have no idea what last year's draft class will eventually look like, as of today it has produced 1 starter, maybe DJ starts this year, and a bad punter.

Carter is not good
Tycen cant stay healthy
Gunter is a PS guy.

Carman - bad
Ossai - miss
Samle -meh
Shelvin - bad
Smith - bad
Hill - bad
Evans - bad
Hubert - never made it

Man these are bad. I only see one guy on that list who'd I give an extension to at the moment (CTB). 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - 007BengalsFan - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: The issue is it would have been worse for SF. They utilized a post June 1st designation on him moving his cap hit from 25 million this year to 10 million. Had they traded him he would have counted as that $25 million hit which would have been prohibitive to the 49ers cap situation.

Yes you are right.  Looking at Spotrac I see the cut only counts as 10.5 million against the cap this year vs 26 in a trade.  That is a huge difference so the cut makes sense

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Joelist - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:48 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Yes you are right.  Looking at Spotrac I see the cut only counts as 10.5 million against the cap this year vs 26 in a trade.  That is a huge difference so the cut makes sense

Good catch. So we never had a shot at using a trade to lock in. 

(03-13-2024, 05:46 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Your post depresses me because I agree with the assessments.

Who Dey Cry

(03-13-2024, 05:47 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Man these are bad. I only see one guy on that list who'd I give an extension to at the moment (CTB). 

These bad drafts are why we always have so much cap space. We should be extending several players that we drafted, instead we have Burrow and 3 mid to low extensions, the bulk of the others will likely be out of the league, or barely hanging on, after they leave Cincy.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - CottonHill - 03-13-2024

Armstead is just a guy. A very tall guy but disappointing after he signed his extension a few years ago.
Reader becomes a must now which is absolutely deflating. Not only is he injured but that just gets us back to where we were last year….awful defensively and last in the division.

(03-13-2024, 05:53 PM)casear2727 Wrote: These bad drafts are why we always have so much cap space.  We should be extending several players that we drafted, instead we have Burrow and 3 mid to low extensions, the bulk of the others will likely be out of the league, or barely hanging on, after they leave Cincy.

Yep. 

It's crazy to look at the Bengals cap space 2-3 years from now. They have like Burrow, Logan Wilson, and Orlando Brown signed...that's it. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - NATI BENGALS - 03-13-2024

We had Reader for 14 games last year. We tied for second worst yards per carry allowed and gave up the 7th most rush yards.

Is it really the end of the world if isn’t back?

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 06:04 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We had Reader for 14 games last year. We tied for second worst yards per carry allowed and gave up the 7th most rush yards.

Reader wasn't the problem, he was our best run defender, it doesn't matter if everybody else sucks at stopping the run how good one guy is.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Soonerpeace - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 06:04 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We had Reader for 14 games last year. We tied for second worst yards per carry allowed and gave up the 7th most rush yards.

Reader is immovable

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Joelist - 03-13-2024

The run game issues were far more the back 7 taking wrong angles plus losing backside contain than our line getting blown back.