Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
McConnell says bill that would make Election Day a federal holiday is a ‘power grab’ - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: McConnell says bill that would make Election Day a federal holiday is a ‘power grab’ (/Thread-McConnell-says-bill-that-would-make-Election-Day-a-federal-holiday-is-a-%E2%80%98power-grab%E2%80%99)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: McConnell says bill that would make Election Day a federal holiday is a ‘power grab’ - BmorePat87 - 02-05-2019

(02-05-2019, 10:11 AM)michaelsean Wrote:  You don't get to the top of the House or Senate (I didn't mean the top of anything) by being a good guy.  

Accurate. You need to be cutthroat to make it to the top in that environment. 

RE: McConnell says bill that would make Election Day a federal holiday is a ‘power grab’ - GMDino - 02-05-2019

(02-05-2019, 11:38 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Accurate. You need to be cutthroat to make it to the top in that environment. 

You don't have to a soulless bastard who doesn't mind comparisons to those who turned a blind eye to Hitler.

And even if I accepted that that is what he "had" to do it doesn't make it right or make me dislike him anymore than I do for being that way.

RE: McConnell says bill that would make Election Day a federal holiday is a ‘power grab’ - BmorePat87 - 02-05-2019

(02-05-2019, 11:41 AM)GMDino Wrote: You don't have to a soulless bastard who doesn't mind comparisons to those who turned a blind eye to Hitler.

And even if I accepted that that is what he "had" to do it doesn't make it right or make me dislike him anymore than I do for being that way.

I don't know where the Hitler stuff played in, but I agree with what Michaelsean was saying about all Congressional leaders needing to be tough to make it where they are. 

RE: McConnell says bill that would make Election Day a federal holiday is a ‘power grab’ - GMDino - 02-05-2019

(02-05-2019, 06:23 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I don't know where the Hitler stuff played in, but I agree with what Michaelsean was saying about all Congressional leaders needing to be tough to make it where they are. 

It's in the podcast I linked.

Tough is one thing.  Soulless, willing to ignore all ethics and morals is another.

(02-05-2019, 06:36 PM)GMDino Wrote: It's in the podcast I linked.

Tough is one thing.  Soulless, willing to ignore all ethics and morals is another.

Michaelsean's posts came before you linked the podcast, so I don't think he was endorsing anything related to Hitler. 

(02-05-2019, 08:39 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Michaelsean's posts came before you linked the podcast, so I don't think he was endorsing anything related to Hitler. 

I don't think he was either.  I was just reinforcing that that was what set me off against MM.  There's a difference between being tough and standing up for what you think is right and NOt refuting a comparison like that about yourself.

RE: McConnell says bill that would make Election Day a federal holiday is a ‘power grab’ - michaelsean - 02-06-2019

(02-05-2019, 11:25 PM)GMDino Wrote: I don't think he was either.  I was just reinforcing that that was what set me off against MM.  There's a difference between being tough and standing up for what you think is right and NOt refuting a comparison like that about yourself.

You see I think it's more than tough and standing up for what you believe.  I think they will go after someone in their own party as easily as someone in the other party.  You can say McConnell is worse than the rest, I can't stand the guy even without the Hitler stuff you posted, but I think they all are ruthless and more interested in their power than anything else.  

RE: McConnell says bill that would make Election Day a federal holiday is a ‘power grab’ - GMDino - 02-06-2019

(02-06-2019, 09:10 AM)michaelsean Wrote: You see I think it's more than tough and standing up for what you believe.  I think they will go after someone in their own party as easily as someone in the other party.  You can say McConnell is worse than the rest, I can't stand the guy even without the Hitler stuff you posted, but I think they all are ruthless and more interested in their power than anything else.  

I had this discussion at a meeting last night.  Across the political spectrum we agreed that you don't have to be a ruthless asshole to be in charge or to reach the top.  Maybe that's just people I know.

The refusal to say "no" when compared to a man who helped put Hitler in more power but rather to say he'll do whatever he has too is what bothers me.  Even if it's true a good person would be taken aback at the comparison and at the very least a good politician would have the sense to distance himself from it.

McConnell is neither.