Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
John Ross-illness - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: John Ross-illness (/Thread-John-Ross-illness)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: John Ross-illness - Whatever - 10-30-2020

(10-30-2020, 09:23 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I didn't see anything about faking. Just that he said he was healthy and ready to go. Dunno who the "illness" report is coming from.

Yeah, based on the whole "they won't let me participate" line it sounds like he's inferring that the "illness" is being manufactured to hold him out of practice.  Whether that's to ensure he's healthy to facilitate a trade and/or the staff trying to drop his stock in the eyes of management similar to what Dunlap accused them of remains to be seen.  

RE: John Ross-illness - bengalfan74 - 10-30-2020

(10-30-2020, 09:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Youth and potential usually piques somebodys interest. 

If you just wait for him to be released, you risk fighting 30 other teams for him. 

Oh I don't doubt somebody may take a flyer on him with a late round draft pick. But I meant a player we could use this season, Oline ? Or a mid round pick ?

RE: John Ross-illness - BengalsRocker - 10-30-2020

" I Was Sick With Th F'n Flu !! "
[Image: Sebastianbach.jpg]

RE: John Ross-illness - reuben.ahmed - 10-30-2020

(10-30-2020, 09:31 PM)Whatever Wrote: Yeah, based on the whole "they won't let me participate" line it sounds like he's inferring that the "illness" is being manufactured to hold him out of practice.  Whether that's to ensure he's healthy to facilitate a trade and/or the staff trying to drop his stock in the eyes of management similar to what Dunlap accused them of remains to be seen.  

it's just a zac taylor poor cover up job

RE: John Ross-illness - SunsetBengal - 10-30-2020

(10-30-2020, 09:39 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: it's just a zac taylor poor cover up job

Fail.  It leaked out during his year under Marvin that Ross couldn't grasp the NFL playbook and it's nuances.  Life was simple for him at UW, all he had to do was run fast and catch the ball, as they had a pretty solid team and he was just a deep threat.

The Bengals made a huge mistake by taking him in the top 10, and Al Davis sort of mistake, by being mesmerized by the speed.  It's true that you can't coach speed, but it's also true that you can't coach intelligence into a player that does not have it.  He get's frustrated and gives up on routes, fails to go into the "come back to the QB" mode when plays don't go as planned.  He just doesn't get it.  Time to cut the losses and move him.  A good team that might be able to use him as an occasional novelty deep threat might be able to get something from him, but a rebuilding team never will.

RE: John Ross-illness - Bengalitis - 10-30-2020

Marvin was pretty good at drafting players, as he did get many good ones during his tenure and he was pretty pissed at many that flopped and were rumors those were not his choices, which is very likely. We will never know the truth perhaps due to their censorship contracts.

RE: John Ross-illness - SunsetBengal - 10-30-2020

(10-30-2020, 10:54 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Marvin was pretty good at drafting players, as he did get many good ones during his tenure and he was pretty pissed at many that flopped and were rumors those were not his choices, which is very likely. We will never know the truth perhaps due to their censorship contracts.

Some of us don't need to see it boldly thrown out there in the public eye, in order to see the truth.  If you watch this team long enough, you learn to read the loud messages being sent through the subtleties.

RE: John Ross-illness - reuben.ahmed - 10-31-2020

(10-30-2020, 09:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Fail.  It leaked out during his year under Marvin that Ross couldn't grasp the NFL playbook and it's nuances.  Life was simple for him at UW, all he had to do was run fast and catch the ball, as they had a pretty solid team and he was just a deep threat.

The Bengals made a huge mistake by taking him in the top 10, and Al Davis sort of mistake, by being mesmerized by the speed.  It's true that you can't coach speed, but it's also true that you can't coach intelligence into a player that does not have it.  He get's frustrated and gives up on routes, fails to go into the "come back to the QB" mode when plays don't go as planned.  He just doesn't get it.  Time to cut the losses and move him.  A good team that might be able to use him as an occasional novelty deep threat might be able to get something from him, but a rebuilding team never will.

No, I mean zac taylor lying about his "stomach bug", lol. With all going on with Ross, who on earth is believing he has a stomach bug? Lol. if you're gonna lie, be good at it.

RE: John Ross-illness - SunsetBengal - 10-31-2020

(10-31-2020, 12:13 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: No, I mean zac taylor lying about his "stomach bug", lol. With all going on with Ross, who on earth is believing he has a stomach bug? Lol. if you're gonna lie, be good at it.

Yeah, I'd be sick to my stomach too, if I were about to lose my high paying income job because I was incapable of doing my job..   Ninja

RE: John Ross-illness - bengaloo - 10-31-2020

This is an interesting graphic. Kind of sums up what a lot of us already thought

[Image: Screen_Shot_2020_10_30_at_4.38.33_PM.png]

RE: John Ross-illness - BengalsFanRealist2855 - 10-31-2020

And they used to tell me coaches dont make up injuries to keep players out. They are straight lieing that Ross is sick.

RE: John Ross-illness - Nicomo Cosca - 10-31-2020

(10-31-2020, 12:58 AM)bengaloo Wrote: This is an interesting graphic. Kind of sums up what a lot of us already thought

[Image: Screen_Shot_2020_10_30_at_4.38.33_PM.png]

What a waste. Dude probably could have been special if he cared enough to work at it.

RE: John Ross-illness - Roland - 10-31-2020

Tweet was taken down. I'm guessing his source with the team called him up and ripped him. "We're trying to get something for this guy, dammit."

RE: John Ross-illness - Goalpost - 10-31-2020

Time to move on. I don't blame the coaches, except they missed something when scouting him.

(10-31-2020, 06:23 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Time to move on. I don't blame the coaches, except they missed something when scouting him.

These coaches had nothing to do with drafting Ross. And if the rumors are to be believed about Marvin not wanting him, it’s falls squarely on Duke Tobin. Between Ross, Ogbuehi, and Price that’s three 1st round busts in 4 years. That is absolutely crippling to any team, let alone one that (before this year) traditionally relies solely on the draft to build their roster.

I used to defend Tobin, but that kind of drafting would cost someone their job in most franchises.

RE: John Ross-illness - SHRacerX - 10-31-2020

(10-30-2020, 04:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well the good new is if he misses very many more games, he'll still be a rookie next year.

While I generally dislike the hate piled on this guy, that was really funny... Hilarious

(10-30-2020, 05:54 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The short answer is yes but the round of the compensatory pick is uncertain.

I thought the team forfeited any compensatory pick by not electing to honor his fifth year?  

(10-30-2020, 08:58 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Makes you wonder how the coaches know how to use Boyd and Higgins huh ?

This is pretty much where I stand on all coaching attacks.  Don't like Lou?  He has turned Bates in to one of the best Safeties in the NFL.  Think the OC is clueless?  Look at Burrow and Higgins.  Rookies being two of our best players with no preseason.

The one thing that grinds me about the Ross dilemma is that he never seemed to get much of a shot this year.  They ran a very small number of plays for him, and they (again) weren't screens or sweeps.  That being said, we have no idea what happens at practice.  Ross must make a habit of complaining about a nagging injury and leaving the practice field a lot because he has clearly done something to lose favor with this coaching staff.  I get why Marvin didn't like him.  The whole "healthy scratch" video was stupid and immature.  But hearing Green and Boyd rave about him in the offseason (I know that is normal player BS) and how he and Boyd are buddies and live in the same neighborhood now...I thought he was really coming in to the fold.  

Sad thing is I thought Burrow would be the one to get him going, but he had all of a couple targets and now he's relegated to the bench.  While I applaud the team for giving snaps to Burrow, I still can't believe Michael Thomas is a better option.  It HAS to be his actions, not his play, that have cost him this final chance.  I'm sure some day we will learn more, but as of now that just makes me a sucker for falling in love with what he did at Washington and how we had not had a vertical X since Henry.  This offense is moving pretty well and I am anxious to see how they fare against pitt, who is clearly the best defense right now (even with our beat up line).  I will still wish for a 4th round small school stud with jets to stretch the defense and make the occasional big play downfield.

One last thing before we throw dirt on Ross:  There is very little to no depth behind Thomas that can play outside.  One injury and Ross will get another shot.  That is why I doubt they let him go for next to nothing. 

Trying to give Lou credit for Bates is quite a stretch.

(10-31-2020, 07:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: These coaches had nothing to do with drafting Ross. And if the rumors are to be believed about Marvin not wanting him, it’s falls squarely on Duke Tobin. Between Ross, Ogbuehi, and Price that’s three 1st round busts in 4 years. That is absolutely crippling to any team, let alone one that (before this year) traditionally relies solely on the draft to build their roster.

I used to defend Tobin, but that kind of drafting would cost someone their job in most franchises.

Sad but true.  And we wonder how we went from perennial playoff team to this...

You need look no further than those three picks.  I didn't want Ogbuehi at all, but I did want Price and Ross.  I loved Price for his toughness, strength, etc.  Thought he was exactly what we needed in the AFC North.  Injuries are at the root of a lot of his issues.  I give him a bit of a pass on that.  I thought the Glenn/swap of first rounders and Price move was brilliant.  Glenn was solid initially, but didn't seem to appreciate the move to guard when we drafted Williams.  More of that old guard/new guard crap.  

Ross showed things in college, against NFL talent (look up on youtube what he did against first rounder Adoree Jackson.  Some funny shit).  He wasn't a one dimensional player as many on here have said.  He was versatile and made incredible plays with some really poor QB play (always had to stop, come back to catch the ball, then restart again).  I pictured him as the Henry missing to free up AJ, Boyd, TEs, and the rushing attack.  I would still love a Ross-type player, without the Ross-type head.  

A good friend's sister was dating Zimmer when he was in town and my buddy had an infatuation with Taylor Mays.  He was crushed when Zimmer told him one time that he has all the ability in the world, but just doesn't understand the game at all.  Maybe that is the case with Ross.  I don't know.  But one thing is for sure...they need to start hitting on these first rounders if Burrow is to have a championship team around him.