Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Post-Election Thoughts - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Post-Election Thoughts (/Thread-Post-Election-Thoughts)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Post-Election Thoughts - Millhouse - 11-09-2016

One note of sadness.

Its pretty sad that both Hillary's & The Donald's best speeches came after it was over. If Hillary would have been more like she was today as opposed to giving robotic-like speeches from a script, maybe she might have won? If Donald had been a bit more like he was late last night, he could have ran away in the popular vote as well.

RE: Post-Election Thoughts - Nately120 - 11-09-2016

(11-09-2016, 06:27 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: We get it, you're upset.  Get the poison out.

Hey now, Trump set a very damning precedent for the power of negativity, name-calling, and overall d-baggery.  As much as I want to say it with jest, the power of scathing negativity can not be denied.

RE: Post-Election Thoughts - CageTheBengal - 11-09-2016

It's a joke that the Democrats were worried about about Sanders not being electable enough. He would've ran away with the election if the DNC hadn't tried forcing a square peg into a round hole with Clinton. Bernie would've given the same voters that Trump tapped into a morally superior candidate while still promoting change and the outsider angle.

RE: Post-Election Thoughts - NATI BENGALS - 11-09-2016

(11-09-2016, 08:06 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: It's a joke that the Democrats were worried about about Sanders not being electable enough. He would've ran away with the election if the DNC hadn't tried forcing a square peg into a round hole with Clinton. Bernie would've given the same voters that Trump tapped into a morally superior candidate while still promoting change and the outsider angle.

Maybe after Trump shits the bed Republicans will open up to voting for someone without an R next to their name. And Democrats will show enough disgust with the party that gave us Hillary and lost to Trump that the two party system comes falling down.

RE: Post-Election Thoughts - Belsnickel - 11-09-2016

(11-09-2016, 08:15 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Maybe after Trump shits the bed Republicans will open up to voting for someone without an R next to their name. And Democrats will show enough disgust with the party that gave us Hillary and lost to Trump that the two party system comes falling down.

Two party system won't fall that easily. We would have to change the entire electoral process for that to happen.

RE: Post-Election Thoughts - 6andcounting - 11-09-2016

While I seriously cheered for Trump, I didn't vote and most of my memes and trolling in favor of him were intentionally ironically over-the-top. That being said, in 18 months he destroyed both the Clinton and Bush political dynasties and coxed the mainstream media into destroying themselves. That's truly an act of MAGA.

RE: Post-Election Thoughts - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 11-09-2016

(11-09-2016, 07:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hey now, Trump set a very damning precedent for the power of negativity, name-calling, and overall d-baggery.  As much as I want to say it with jest, the power of scathing negativity can not be denied.

Point to you.

(11-09-2016, 08:26 PM)6andcounting Wrote: While I seriously cheered for Trump, I didn't vote and most of my memes and trolling in favor of him were intentionally ironically over-the-top. That being said, in 18 months he destroyed both the Clinton and Bush political dynasties and coxed the mainstream media into destroying themselves. That's truly an act of MAGA.

I have to wonder why the USA thinks destroying its own government without a plan for succession is such a great idea after we pulled the same thing in Iraq with less than sexy results. Ah well, pull down the pillars in haste and repent in leisure!

RE: Post-Election Thoughts - JustWinBaby - 11-09-2016

(11-09-2016, 08:15 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: ...Republicans will open up to voting for someone without an R next to their name.

Trump's not really a Republican, so they kind of already did.

RE: Post-Election Thoughts - bfine32 - 11-09-2016

My post-election thoughts:

[Image: 1548.gif]

RE: Post-Election Thoughts - CKwi88 - 11-09-2016

(11-09-2016, 08:15 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Maybe after Trump shits the bed Republicans will open up to voting for someone without an R next to their name. And Democrats will show enough disgust with the party that gave us Hillary and lost to Trump that the two party system comes falling down.

If even in this election a third party couldn't muster over 3 percentage points, there is absolutely no hope without massive electoral reform. 

RE: Post-Election Thoughts - treee - 11-09-2016

As a person who voted for Sanders in the primary, and painstakingly Clinton in the general (more of an anti Trump vote): Damn you DNC. Damn you Debbie Schultz. And damn you Hillary. I'm not thrilled about a Trump presidency, but maybe this is the shakeup needed for true progressive representation.

(11-09-2016, 09:04 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: If even in this election a third party couldn't muster over 3 percentage points, there is absolutely no hope without massive electoral reform. 

Johnson and the Libertarian party didn't even get 1% of the popular vote in 2012, so this could be seen as an encouraging increase on the way towards 5%.  One might even wonder if all the people who compromised with Clinton and still ended up with Trump as a president may have learned their lesson and move towards a 3rd party in 2020.  Just a few things to keep in mind.

RE: Post-Election Thoughts - michaelsean - 11-09-2016

(11-09-2016, 09:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Johnson and the Libertarian party didn't even get 1% of the popular vote in 2012, so this could be seen as an encouraging increase on the way towards 5%.  One might even wonder if all the people who compromised with Clinton and still ended up with Trump as a president may have learned their lesson and move towards a 3rd party in 2020.  Just a few things to keep in mind.

This was their chance to get to 5%.  They failed miserably.

(11-09-2016, 09:58 PM)michaelsean Wrote: This was their chance to get to 5%.  They failed miserably.

It is disappointing, but I think at least some of my reasoning is based in plausibility and not total denial.  I'm somewhat in denial, admittedly.  Hey, 3 is more than .99, so I'll take it.

RE: Post-Election Thoughts - Aquapod770 - 11-09-2016

(11-09-2016, 08:15 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Maybe after Trump shits the bed Republicans will open up to voting for someone without an R next to their name. And Democrats will show enough disgust with the party that gave us Hillary and lost to Trump that the two party system comes falling down.

Doubtful. Obama got a 2nd term.  Mellow

RE: Post-Election Thoughts - Aquapod770 - 11-09-2016

(11-09-2016, 09:58 PM)michaelsean Wrote: This was their chance to get to 5%.  They failed miserably.

Johnson has said he doesn't plan to run again in 2020, so maybe we can get a real libertarian in there. Preferably Amash or Petersen.  :andy:

RE: Post-Election Thoughts - Millhouse - 11-09-2016

Quite a few Repubs voted for Obama in 08, at least quite a few I knew did.

RE: Post-Election Thoughts - Dill - 11-09-2016

(11-09-2016, 09:09 PM)treee Wrote: As a person who voted for Sanders in the primary, and painstakingly Clinton in the general (more of an anti Trump vote): Damn you DNC. Damn you Debbie Schultz. And damn you Hillary. I'm not thrilled about a Trump presidency, but maybe this is the shakeup needed for true progressive representation.

Maybe, but this will be on all those Dem no shows who gave away the Firewall. 

When the Republicans are running someone like Trump, a "progressive" who won't vote for Hillary because she wasn't inspiring or out of anger at Shultz is no real progressive.  

Cut off your nose to spite your face.

RE: Post-Election Thoughts - JustWinBaby - 11-10-2016

Perot took 18-20% back 24 years ago...and people are cheering a small tick up to 3% for the Libertarians. That is literally going nowhere, to be generous. Sure, Perot did it with money. Well, Koch ran as a Libertarian back in 1980(?) - how much money does he give today to support the Libertarian party, outside of the Cato Institute?

A 3rd Party movement is not going to begin at the Presidential level. I'd even argue not in the House or Senate, but people would bring up the Tea Party. Problem there is that was only a pseudo-3rd Party for a short time, until opportunistic Repubs, and particularly the religious right, hijacked it.