Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The Official GOP Debate Thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: The Official GOP Debate Thread (/Thread-The-Official-GOP-Debate-Thread)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - fredtoast - 08-07-2015

I didn't see much of the debate, but I saw some Trump supporters on TV this morning and they are insane. When asked what they thought about the fact that there is not any evidence to back up most of Trumps comments they basically said "What he said may not be correct, but at least he spoke from the heart."

Seriously?

People love him because he is a loudmouthed asshole who tells them what they want to hear instead of the truth.

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - PhilHos - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 11:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: People love him because he is a loudmouthed asshole who tells them what they want to hear instead of the truth.

Other than the "loudmouthed asshole" part, how is that any different than any other presidential candidate since, I don't know, the 70s (and probably earlier, but I wasn't alive then)?

I would love to see campaigns where the candidates just state this is my idea to fix this problem being as specific as possible. I know it'll never happen, but SOMETHING needs to change and for the better.

For the record, I'm not defending Trump. I don't know who I would vote for. If I had to choose right now, I would probably go with Walker for what he's done in Wisconsin, but I'm going to wait and hope the best candidate for the country emerges.

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - GMDino - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 11:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I didn't see much of the debate, but I saw some Trump supporters on TV this morning and they are insane.  When asked what they thought about the fact that there is not any evidence to back up most of Trumps comments they basically said "What he said may not be correct, but at least he spoke from the heart."

Seriously?

People love him because he is a loudmouthed asshole who tells them what they want to hear instead of the truth.

Exact same feedback I am getting.

He has no plan, but he really means what he says, even if its not the truth, at least he doesn't sugarcoat it.

Rolleyes

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - SunsetBengal - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 11:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I didn't see much of the debate, but I saw some Trump supporters on TV this morning and they are insane.  When asked what they thought about the fact that there is not any evidence to back up most of Trumps comments they basically said "What he said may not be correct, but at least he spoke from the heart."

Seriously?

Yet his supporters continue to grow, both in number and in staunchness.  Perhaps what people like about him, is exactly what you don't.

(08-07-2015, 12:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yet his supporters continue to grow, both in number and in staunchness.  Perhaps what people like about him, is exactly what you don't.

That he lies?

No surprise there.

Imagine a world where he gets elected president.  Then, after you change your underwear after the accident that image causes, imagine his supporters defnding him when he says "I've just cut the deficit in half" when he did no such thing but he "feels" like it happened.  Or when he tells a member of congress she's too ugly to listen to.  Or when he tell his own cabinet they will do exactly as he says or he will fire them.

That will go over great!

(08-07-2015, 12:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: That he lies?

No surprise there.

Imagine a world where he gets elected president.  Then, after you change your underwear after the accident that image causes, imagine his supporters defnding him when he says "I've just cut the deficit in half" when he did no such thing but he "feels" like it happened.  Or when he tells a member of congress she's too ugly to listen to.  Or when he tell his own cabinet they will do exactly as he says or he will fire them.

That will go over great!

Newsflash, they ALL lie...

(08-07-2015, 12:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yet his supporters continue to grow, both in number and in staunchness.  Perhaps what people like about him, is exactly what you don't.

And that says a lot about the type of people who support him.

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - BmorePat87 - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 12:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Newsflash, they ALL lie...

Said it before I could.

(08-07-2015, 12:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Newsflash, they ALL lie...

That's no excuse.

He's fine for a boardroom I guess, not to run a country.

(08-07-2015, 11:57 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Other than the "loudmouthed asshole" part, how is that any different than any other presidential candidate since, I don't know, the 70s (and probably earlier, but I wasn't alive then)?

Most candidates try to at least appear like they are telling the truth.  Trump doesn't even care.  He says whatever he wants even if there is absolutely nothing to back it up.   He knows that as long as you tell people what they want to hear a lot of them will not care if it is all ridiculous lies.

(08-07-2015, 12:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And that says a lot about the type of people who support him.

Average Americans?  What do you have against average Americans?

(08-07-2015, 12:48 PM)GMDino Wrote: That's no excuse.

He's fine for a boardroom I guess, not to run a country.

I just think it is hilarious, as I seem to remember both you and Fred predicting that Trump's campaign would be a memory by now.

(08-07-2015, 12:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Average Americans?  What do you have against average Americans?

I just think it is hilarious, as I seem to remember both you and Fred predicting that Trump's campaign would be a memory by now.

I did?

No, I think his celebrity will allow him to stay for a while.  I don't think he can win against anyone in the end though.

He's literally a clown.

I mean you can dislike policy and whatever, but he has none.  His policy is "I'll do it because no one else did."

Oh, and don't bring up any time he ever failed.  That's someone else's fault.   Smirk

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - RoyleRedlegs - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 11:01 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Ron was a far more skilled debater than Rand. Rand stuck with his arguments and couldn't find any response when called out by a mainstream opponent.

Cruz seemed prepared, but also an afterthought.

Kasich gained the most since his pre debate stock was incredibly low.

Walker didn't look bad, and that's a win for him.

Bush didn't look great, and that's a loss for him

Trump was Trump. Not presidential. A bit unhinged.

Carson was soft spoken and an afterthought. He'll be remembered for his race line, but that's about it.

Christie was loud and in charge while speaking, but I don't think he can recover from Bridgegate.

Rubio seemed good. Young, Latino, and presidential.

Huckabee is working one angle and it won't win anything for him.

Apparently Carly looked good in the lesser debate while Jindal looked bad.

Rand will have trouble getting out of the primary. I like a lot of what he says, but he won't be right wing enough to win the primary.

(08-07-2015, 11:39 AM)Beaker Wrote: I liked Kasich. I think he has a shot if he can start to gain in recognition. Right now too many Americans don't really know who he is or how he has done as OH gov.

Agreed. He had some good answers. 

(08-07-2015, 12:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I just think it is hilarious, as I seem to remember both you and Fred predicting that Trump's campaign would be a memory by now.

Once again your memory fails you.  I predicted that he would have some success during the primaries when a small group of radicals can bump a nut job to the top.

Even Herman Cain was in first place for a while last election cycle.

I will 100% guarantee that Trump does not win the Republican nomination, but I would LOVE to see him run as a third party candidate.

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - BonnieBengal - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 10:49 AM)GMDino Wrote: I can't see where Cruz did anything to separate himself but he didn't poop on the stage.  Trump showed exactly why he'd be a poor politician / president.  he can NOT handle criticism at all.  There's a difference between not being PC and insulting anyone who disagrees with you.

My wife commented on Rubio's ears too!   Smirk

Saw a tweet that said Paul needs to decided between the two haircuts he has.  Tongue

My husband said Rubio looked like he was wearing those fake joke ears that you put over your regular ears.

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - BonnieBengal - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 09:51 AM)GMDino Wrote: Dear lord I hope you don't vote.

And why is that?  Because I like Carson?  I'm not voting for milktoast establishment Republicans like Bush.   I'll write somebody in before I do that.  

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - michaelsean - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 01:40 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: And why is that?  Because I like Carson?  I'm not voting for milktoast establishment Republicans like Bush.   I'll write somebody in before I do that.  

Just so you know, you write-in vote won't count if they aren't an official write-in candidate.

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - michaelsean - 08-07-2015

So if I'm a Republican, and all I care about is someone with a R after their name becoming President, who am I voting for?

(08-07-2015, 01:40 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: And why is that?  Because I like Carson?  I'm not voting for milktoast establishment Republicans like Bush.   I'll write somebody in before I do that.  

Because Carson is a poor candidate.  Brilliant surgeon.  Bad candidate.

All anyone says is how smart he has to be to do what he did for a living.

Einstein would have made a bad President.

He's riding a wave of TPer support because he spoke against the ACA while the President was in the room.  So basically he has an opinion and he's not afraid to speak it.  Oh and he thinks tithing is the best tax plan.  That's it.

(08-07-2015, 02:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So if I'm a Republican, and all I care about is someone with a R after their name becoming President, who am I voting for?

Damn good question.  As I said I'd vote for Kasich if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to vote for a Republican right now.

But normal guys who want to talk about issues have a hard time getting heard over the shouting and drum banging of the primaries.