Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Net neutrality repealed! - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Net neutrality repealed! (/Thread-Net-neutrality-repealed)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Net neutrality repealed! - Au165 - 12-19-2017

(12-18-2017, 11:00 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If Twitter is dumb enough to do that then someone else will form a Free version.

This right here actually explains why it was allowed to happen. People don't even truly understand what is now in play. It has nothing to do with Twitter, the ISPs can put twitter behind a paywall. Many don't realize they can now be double charged for things like Netflix, Spotify, etc. They can be charged once by the ISP to get to the content and another time to actually get the content from the creator once they get there.

RE: Net neutrality repealed! - StLucieBengal - 12-19-2017

(12-19-2017, 09:12 AM)Au165 Wrote: This right here actually explains why it was allowed to happen. People don't even truly understand what is now in play. It has nothing to do with Twitter, the ISPs can put twitter behind a paywall. Many don't realize they can now be double charged for things like Netflix, Spotify, etc. They can be charged once by the ISP to get to the content and another time to actually get the content from the creator once they get there.

So let’s repeal the regulation that allows areas to be broken up by the companies. I would love to get Verizon fios here but am stuck with ATT, Comcast, or directv.

RE: Net neutrality repealed! - GMDino - 12-19-2017

(12-19-2017, 02:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So let’s repeal the regulation that allows areas to be broken up by the companies.  I would love to get Verizon fios here but am stuck with ATT, Comcast, or directv.

So you have all these options but not another one so it's the regulations fault? 

https://www.highspeedinternet.com/fl/port-saint-lucie

RE: Net neutrality repealed! - Benton - 12-19-2017

(12-18-2017, 11:00 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If Twitter is dumb enough to do that then someone else will form a Free version.

Twitter probably wouldn't be. But the company allowing you to access it via their network could. That's the issue here.

I think it will be hilarious if the POTUS found out he has to pay to access Twitter, gets hacked off at the moron who started charging for it and then finds out it was the guy he hired.

The pro-repeal story is that companies like Comcast are "losing" money by customers using their network to access stuff created by third parties (Twitter, Netflix, etc). Which is like saying the electric company is "losing" money by customers using their power grid to toast bread. This is like the power company getting to charge you a fee for using electricity to toast bread, another fee for allowing you to power your air conditioner, another fee for flipping on a light switch, etc.

RE: Net neutrality repealed! - bfine32 - 12-19-2017

(12-19-2017, 04:57 PM)Benton Wrote: The pro-repeal story is that companies like Comcast are "losing" money by customers using their network to access stuff created by third parties (Twitter, Netflix, etc). Which is like saying the electric company is "losing" money by customers using their power grid to toast bread. This is like the power company getting to charge you a fee for using electricity to toast bread, another fee for allowing you to power your air conditioner, another fee for flipping on a light switch, etc.

Or as I mentioned earlier it's like saying a Baker is losing money because other bakers are selling pies in his shops.

As has been mentioned before: the Public utilities analogies have zero merit; as ISPs are not public utilities. 

And from what I understand the electric company does charge you based on how much you use their commodity. 

RE: Net neutrality repealed! - Benton - 12-19-2017

(12-19-2017, 07:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Or as I mentioned earlier it's like saying a Baker is losing money because other bakers are selling pies in his shops.

As has been mentioned before: the Public utilities analogies have zero merit; as ISPs are not public utilities. 

And from what I understand the electric company does charge you based on how much you use their commodity. 

Public utilities weren’t public utilities until they were public utilities.

I understand the argument that private businesses should be allowed to charge what they want. The problem is, like other utilities, the internet has become something bigger.

As far as the electric company, you’re missing the other half of the issue. Electric companies and telecom charge you for usage. That’s how they make money. What you do with that usage should be up to you, whether it’s powerig Christmas lights or making toast. Telecom is saying they should decide the end use, or at least charge you more for it depending on their own interests.

(12-19-2017, 07:41 PM)Benton Wrote: Public utilities weren’t public utilities until they were public utilities.

I understand the argument that private businesses should be allowed to charge what they want. The problem is, like other utilities, the internet has become something bigger.

As far as the electric company, you’re missing the other half of the issue. Electric companies and telecom charge you for usage. That’s how they make money. What you do with that usage should be up to you, whether it’s powerig Christmas lights or making toast. Telecom is saying they should decide the end use, or at least charge you more for it depending on their own interests.

Once/if the internet access is deemed a public utility then folks that keep bring up public utility will have a point; outside of that, they're just diverting from the over-reach that net neutrality caused and the rational of repealing it.  

RE: Net neutrality repealed! - Vas Deferens - 12-19-2017

(12-19-2017, 07:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Once/if the internet access is deemed a public utility then folks that keep bring up public utility will have a point; outside of that, they're just diverting from the over-reach that net neutrality caused and the rational of repealing it.  

what part of the previous legislation did you consider over reach?

RE: Net neutrality repealed! - Belsnickel - 12-19-2017

(12-19-2017, 08:16 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: what part of the previous legislation did you consider over reach?

I'm guessing the fact it wasn't legislation that was just repealed. It was a bureaucratic policy, not a democratic one.

(12-19-2017, 08:16 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: what part of the previous legislation did you consider over reach?

The part where the government tells private enterprise what product they must provide. 

Folks can say all they want such as "we use the internet to pay our bills" or "we use the internet to schedule our trips". There is no talk or threat of that being effected in anyway; as I can pay bills or schedule trips in the "slow lane". The "fast lane" is required for entertainment and that is the only thing that if ISPs went wild would be effected.

So basically, folks for Net Neutrality are saying: The government needs to protect my "right" to entertainment. No they don't Private businesses should be able to charge you what they want for entertainment. 

(12-19-2017, 09:12 AM)Au165 Wrote: This right here actually explains why it was allowed to happen. People don't even truly understand what is now in play. It has nothing to do with Twitter, the ISPs can put twitter behind a paywall. Many don't realize they can now be double charged for things like Netflix, Spotify, etc. They can be charged once by the ISP to get to the content and another time to actually get the content from the creator once they get there.

So they "may" be charged more depending on what entertainment venue they desire? 

RE: Net neutrality repealed! - Vas Deferens - 12-19-2017

(12-19-2017, 09:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The part where the government tells private enterprise what product they must provide. 

Folks can say all they want such as "we use the internet to pay our bills" or "we use the internet to schedule our trips". There is no talk or threat of that being effected in anyway; as I can pay bills or schedule trips in the "slow lane". The "fast lane" is required for entertainment and that is the only thing that if ISPs went wild would be effected.

So basically, folks for Net Neutrality are saying: The government needs to protect my "right" to entertainment. No they don't Private businesses should be able to charge you want they want for entertainment. 

I see where you are coming from...

I also agree with you that the gov needs to stay out of many private sectors.  I for one could care less about cake shops, but this is bigger than flour and eggs.

First of all SEO, website interaction and overall consumer experience is greatly affected by the speed at which it responds to user engagement.  If a comcast decided they wanted to get into the 'travel planning' industry, they would have an immediate upper hand.  Effectively stifling competition and entrepreneurship.  I understand the entertainment argument, but if its merely about bandwidth and bandwidth alone, the law should have been written as such.  It was not, and there is a reason for that.  You do realize that we are already 'paying more for increased use' (as used in the electricity argument) right?

Secondly, I have a problem when the nomenclature 'private industry' is used in reference to an industry that takes massive government hand outs and participates in local efforts to craft legislation in their favor.

Out of pure curiosity, what do you think about the falsified 'anti net neutrality' FCC public comments?

(12-19-2017, 09:48 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I see where you are coming from...

I also agree with you that the gov needs to stay out of many private sectors.  I for one could care less about cake shops, but this is bigger than flour and eggs.

First of all SEO, website interaction and overall consumer experience is greatly affected by the speed at which it responds to user engagement.  If a comcast decided they wanted to get into the 'travel planning' industry, they would have an immediate upper hand.  Effectively stifling competition and entrepreneurship.  I understand the entertainment argument, but if its merely about bandwidth and bandwidth alone, the law should have been written as such.  It was not, and there is a reason for that.  You do realize that we are already 'paying more for increased use' (as used in the electricity argument) right?

Secondly, I have a problem when the nomenclature 'private industry' is used in reference to an industry that takes massive government hand outs and participates in local efforts to craft legislation in their favor.

Out of pure curiosity, what do you think about the falsified 'anti net neutrality' FCC public comments?

Yes, I realize we are currently paying more for increased use; just like electricity, this is why I bring it up. As I mentioned earlier; I pay mad loot to get the highest internet speed available from spectrum because we use a lot of internet for our entertainment purposes. I can pay my bills and dial 911 on my phone, but I like to be entertained. 

Most private businesses get some sort government incentive(s), so your problem with calling them private may extend beyond the ISP world.

I'm unaware of the case you refer to, so I cannot comment; however, I would not be surprised if it were motivated by money.  

RE: Net neutrality repealed! - Benton - 12-20-2017

(12-19-2017, 07:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Once/if the internet access is deemed a public utility then folks that keep bring up public utility will have a point; outside of that, they're just diverting from the over-reach that net neutrality caused and the rational of repealing it.  

Net neutrality was the first step in that.

Now we're back to where we were, which is a large chunk of tax dollars being used to upgrade telecom infrastructure which is privately owned, which in turn uses those upgrades to charge businesses and consumers for what's become a business necessity. 

RE: Net neutrality repealed! - GMDino - 12-20-2017

[Image: 25348661_154871195146264_509910138954965...e=5AB09E47]

RE: Net neutrality repealed! - Au165 - 12-20-2017

(12-19-2017, 02:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So let’s repeal the regulation that allows areas to be broken up by the companies.  I would love to get Verizon fios here but am stuck with ATT, Comcast, or directv.

This I actually agree with, I would have less issue with the repeal of net neutrality if we actually weren't already protecting their monopolies for them. The free market would actually prevent them from doing this stuff but because they have these brokered monopolies on areas they can do as they please with no real repercussions other than complaining from the market.

RE: Net neutrality repealed! - BmorePat87 - 12-20-2017

There's no reason that everyone in every major city and their suburbs shouldn't have access to affordable gigabit speed internet. Spend the money on upgrading our internet infrastructure and regulate the internet like a public utility.

RE: Net neutrality repealed! - CageTheBengal - 12-20-2017

(12-14-2017, 09:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Don't electric companies charge more depending on how much electricity you use?

This is more like cutting off part of the electricity in your house after you have used so much and then having to pay another 5 dollars for more power usage until your next pay cycle.

RE: Net neutrality repealed! - CageTheBengal - 12-20-2017

(12-20-2017, 10:07 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: There's no reason that everyone in every major city and their suburbs shouldn't have access to affordable gigabit speed internet. Spend the money on upgrading our internet infrastructure and regulate the internet like a public utility.

Meanwhile a lot of rural America only has access to dial up or overpriced unreliable satelite internet.

Living in an area like that it's crazy how forgotten we are when it comes to internet access while others are fighting over speed.

RE: Net neutrality repealed! - bfine32 - 12-20-2017

(12-20-2017, 11:12 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: This is more like cutting off part of the electricity in your house after you have used so much and then having to pay another 5 dollars for more power usage until your next pay cycle.

OK. Seems like Cell Phone companies already do this exact thing.