Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
A Sleeping Giant - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: A Sleeping Giant (/Thread-A-Sleeping-Giant)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: A Sleeping Giant - TheLeonardLeap - 01-05-2020

(12-31-2019, 04:44 PM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: Most of the replies to this thread are interesting. Whether anyone thinks the Bengals can do it or not, it's much easier to go from a loser to a winner quickly in football than in other sports, which is part of what makes it so popular. There is the recent example of the Rams, who went from a nothing team to last year's Super Bowl. Even looking at the Bengals, does anyone remember how in 2011 everyone predicted a basement finish and a repeat 4-12 record? Instead, Andy, AJ and a few other scrappers surprised everybody.

Friendly reminder that the Rams fired their coaches after they went 4-12 in 2016. The reason they went 11-5 the next year and 13-3 the year after with a SB appearance is because they didn't strap themselves to the anchor of bad coaching and fired Jeff Fisher, hiring Sean McVay.

Meanwhile the Bengals are going to keep their loser 2-14 HC/offensive playcaller.

RE: A Sleeping Giant - Catmandude123 - 01-05-2020

(12-30-2019, 07:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I guess we're all vulnerable to the effects of the dead cat bounce.  Mellow

Buy your season tickets while you still can!  Ninja

I think every fan should wait until the team is all in for improving the team before buying ANY tickets let alone season tickets. My biggest fear is MB will try to ride the fans euphoria of signing Burrow while doing nothing to improve the roster in general. The shiny objects dazzle some idiots. DON'T BE FOOLED!!!!

RE: A Sleeping Giant - Bengalitis - 01-05-2020

(12-30-2019, 10:14 AM)kevin Wrote: Watch LSU vs Clemson to see the 2020 leader of this team in Burrow,  but they need to get him some blocking, not keep the bums you say have potential.  They have the potential to get Burrow career injured early, that is the only potential this O Line has.   Watch Burrow Jan 13th and hope Bengals also get him some blocking.  The Defense stinks also, worst against the run in NFL.  As Howard Cossell would say, Lets Tell It Like It Is.

He is not a running QB. He will not fare well without an OL or at least as well as he could. If we don't have a superb Defense, this team will never reach the playoffs.

RE: A Sleeping Giant - Sled21 - 01-05-2020

I, for one, can not wait until the start of next season. Rock On

RE: A Sleeping Giant - fredtoast - 01-05-2020

Yep, 2019 Bengals look like a sleeping giant to me

[Image: 84604516.jpg]

RE: A Sleeping Giant - samhain - 01-05-2020

(01-05-2020, 01:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yep, 2019 Bengals look like a sleeping giant to me

[Image: 84604516.jpg]
Great.  All they need to do is draft a Rascal scooter and hire a cardiologist for the medical staff.

RE: A Sleeping Giant - samhain - 01-05-2020

I think expectations should be kept low for now.

I'm not overly hyped over the state of the roster as others are. Some of the guys people are getting excited about have very small sample sizes in terms of games played. Playing well is better than playing shitty, but sustained ability to play at a high level in the league is yet to be determined for many of these guys. This is not only true for the guys here, but (even moreso) for Burrow as well. That said, I'll grant that the roster seems to be in a better state than it was at the end of 18.

The thing I think that helps them now is the fact that the staff has a year under their belt. It's not going in blind anymore. Hopefully the improvements on defense and o-line are long-term ones and not just success against bad teams at the end of a lost season. We should see if the end of the year was a dead cat bounce or the start of something positive relatively quickly next season.

It's saying something that Taylor apparently hasn't lost the locker room after this horrendous year. That's something to build on.

From a roster perspective, I'm trying to see this offseason like the 2011 year when Carson left. At time there were pieces in place on the defense, but still work to do. They made an effort to add in the secondary and linebacker groups. They drafted 2 cornerstone offensive players that would sustain relative success for almost 10 years, This year, they have even better draft position, so that helps. They also got a lineman that would start for 8 years. After that, the 2012 and 2013 drafts added Dre, Zeitler, Gio, and Eifert to round out a pretty impressive roster of young talent.

Unless the staff shits the bed, they'll get another year or so to build IMO. I look at 2022 as the year that they'll be built to compete for something real. That should be enough to bring in a core of young talent for another 8-10 years.

(01-05-2020, 11:07 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: He is not a running QB. He will not fare well without an OL or at least as well as he could. If we don't have a superb Defense, this team will never reach the playoffs.

His elusiveness and ability to throw on the move will put pressure on defenses that the Bengals team hasn't had in a long while. When an opposing defense knows exactly where the QB is going to be or can make him move and ensure that he will not complete the pass it makes it easier to game plan for. Btw he is a capable running QB. 400yds rushing and 7 tds in 2019. What he lacks as a runner he more than makes up for as a passer. The model QBs for the last two years are Jackson and Watson. Cam was all the rage back in the day and look where he is now. I would hope they make him a pure passer and to run with caution not reckless abandon.

(01-05-2020, 03:52 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Friendly reminder that the Rams fired their coaches after they went 4-12 in 2016. The reason they went 11-5 the next year and 13-3 the year after with a SB appearance is because they didn't strap themselves to the anchor of bad coaching and fired Jeff Fisher, hiring Sean McVay.

Meanwhile the Bengals are going to keep their loser 2-14 HC/offensive playcaller.

Revamping the o-line with Whit and a new center which allowed 21 fewer sacks was a big key. FA signings made a big difference. While I would grant you hiring Wade Phillips was a big plus, free agency will help more than anything this year if MB loosens the purse strings.

RE: A Sleeping Giant - Truck_1_0_1_ - 01-05-2020

(01-05-2020, 02:45 PM)samhain Wrote: I think expectations should be kept low for now.

I'm not overly hyped over the state of the roster as others are. Some of the guys people are getting excited about have very small sample sizes in terms of games played. Playing well is better than playing shitty, but sustained ability to play at a high level in the league is yet to be determined for many of these guys. This is not only true for the guys here, but (even moreso) for Burrow as well. That said, I'll grant that the roster seems to be in a better state than it was at the end of 18.

The thing I think that helps them now is the fact that the staff has a year under their belt. It's not going in blind anymore. Hopefully the improvements on defense and o-line are long-term ones and not just success against bad teams at the end of a lost season. We should see if the end of the year was a dead cat bounce or the start of something positive relatively quickly next season.

It's saying something that Taylor apparently hasn't lost the locker room after this horrendous year. That's something to build on.

From a roster perspective, I'm trying to see this offseason like the 2011 year when Carson left. At time there were pieces in place on the defense, but still work to do. They made an effort to add in the secondary and linebacker groups. They drafted 2 cornerstone offensive players that would sustain relative success for almost 10 years, This year, they have even better draft position, so that helps. They also got a lineman that would start for 8 years. After that, the 2012 and 2013 drafts added Dre, Zeitler, Gio, and Eifert to round out a pretty impressive roster of young talent.

Unless the staff shits the bed, they'll get another year or so to build IMO. I look at 2022 as the year that they'll be built to compete for something real. That should be enough to bring in a core of young talent for another 8-10 years.

Even then, that's not right.

People should come in with *0* expectations; no positive, no negative, no low, no high.

Just take things as they come and wait until we actually get concrete things happening.

RE: A Sleeping Giant - Shake n Blake - 01-06-2020

(01-05-2020, 10:45 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I think every fan should wait until the team is all in for improving the team before buying ANY tickets let alone season tickets. My biggest fear is MB will try to ride the fans euphoria of signing Burrow while doing nothing to improve the roster in general. The shiny objects dazzle some idiots. DON'T BE FOOLED!!!!

Bingo. Unless I see a change in attitude with this FO, Burrow is just the latest shiny toy that will have his career ruined by an apathetic and money-focused front office.

RE: A Sleeping Giant - bengalguy71 - 01-07-2020

(12-30-2019, 09:11 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Admittedly, I’m always overly optimistic about every season, but this feels different to me. The biggest question mark being the coaching, however I believe they will and should all return.

I’m curious to know how the defense ranked over the second half of the season or last 3rd of the season because they looked infinitely better than they did in the first half, but I don’t know the numbers.

I think we have real weapons at all the offensive skill positions with a very underrated CJ Uzomah and underused Eifert. I believe Auden Tate will have a breakout year, given the assumed new QB will trust him and not rely too heavily on other (established) receivers.

I think there’s question marks along the Oline, but they’re not as puzzling as the narrative indicates. I’d like to see an upgrade or two, but I think these cast-offs have enough potential to allow most plays to develop.

I’ve always been a fan of and defended Andy. But sometimes it is just the QB and as much as I like Andy, I’m hoping it was just him because that means all the other pieces are good enough for the next QB.

I believe we have an excellent front 7 on defense. I’m a 4-3 guy, mainly because I’m most familiar with it because of this team, however I think they have all the pieces to lean heavily on a 3-4 front as this gets all of their best players on the field at the same time. It would awesome to land a an established play maker at LBer because he’d make this group fierce but I don’t think it’s necessary. I like that kid from Cleveland that hasn’t been re signed yet. I think Evans, Lawson, Pratt and Vigil/Hubbard (I know I know) have the potential to be stout and could use some help but I think the team should focus on a ball hawking super stud Safety (if one’s available). I think this is the missing piece on defense a la Minka Fitzpatrick.

I think Darious Phillips showed enough (4 picks is the 3rd highest) that cutting Dre is worth the risk and savings.

I know people think this team is far-away, but I disagree. Hopefully Zac makes the leap in his second season.

I think your name says it all!

REMEMBER 2015 when this team was 8-0.  EVERYBODY was on board, including myself, thinking that year was different and going to be special.  Then, low and behold, Dalton breaks his thumb.

I believe that WAS the season.  It seems like when it does seem to come together, a freak injury happens to this franchise!!  Shocked

RE: A Sleeping Giant - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-07-2020

(01-07-2020, 01:11 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I think your name says it all!

REMEMBER 2015 when this team was 8-0.  EVERYBODY was on board, including myself, thinking that year was different and going to be special.  Then, low and behold, Dalton breaks his thumb.

I believe that WAS the season.  It seems like when it does seem to come together, a freak injury happens to this franchise!!  Shocked

We always seem to get the bad break it seems.

Has to change doesn't it? Need to get a good one for once.

RE: A Sleeping Giant - bengalguy71 - 01-07-2020

(01-07-2020, 03:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We always seem to get the bad break it seems.

Has to change doesn't it? Need to get a good one for once.

One would think the law of averages HAS to catch up to this team at some point!!

RE: A Sleeping Giant - Nately120 - 01-07-2020

(01-06-2020, 12:44 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Bingo. Unless I see a change in attitude with this FO, Burrow is just the latest shiny toy that will have his career ruined by an apathetic and money-focused front office.

Will Burrow be the next choo choo train that was left out in the rain the day after Santa came?

RE: A Sleeping Giant - Devils Advocate - 01-21-2020

Just wanted to say I stand by my OP as far as this being a more talented team than their record.

But I also want to say that I think this team can ride Joe Mixon into the playoffs if that other Joe can at least minimize his mistakes.

RE: A Sleeping Giant - WeezyBengal - 01-21-2020

They will be a better team if they sign a few decent free agents to make up for their recent draft misses. We know how that goes, though. So no, I'm not expecting them to light the world on fire next year.

RE: A Sleeping Giant - grampahol - 01-21-2020

I think the only thing we really need is an all new team, all new coaches and maybe even an all new city and new stadium. See how easy that really is? No need to replace ownership. Just have them kidnapped and have cardboard cutouts of them with a few smarts and it's SUPERBOWL TIME! (for someone else) ThumbsUp

RE: A Sleeping Giant - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-21-2020

(01-21-2020, 04:58 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Just wanted to say I stand by my OP as far as this being a more talented team than their record.

But I also want to say that I think this team can ride Joe Mixon into the playoffs if that other Joe  can at least minimize his mistakes.

Going to have to get some Lineman and Linebackers in FA for this to happen in Burrow's first season here.

Definitely possible as we have lots of dough to work with. We get Conklin and Jamie Collins in FA and I could see us making a playoff
run and Taylor should get better at coaching as he seemed to get better later in the season. Same with the rest of the coaches.

RE: A Sleeping Giant - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-21-2020

(01-21-2020, 10:18 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They will be a better team if they sign a few decent free agents to make up for their recent draft misses. We know how that goes, though. So no, I'm not expecting them to light the world on fire next year.

With a #1 overall pick in Burrow this might change though.