Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
A SCOTUS Opening - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: A SCOTUS Opening (/Thread-A-SCOTUS-Opening)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - Belsnickel - 09-22-2020

(09-21-2020, 09:12 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Gotta love the tweets about burning it all down because they didn't get there way politically.  Such weakness.  Participation trophy crowd.

Yeah, not like "conservatives" talking about an armed insurrection or challenging the election results if Trump loses. Rolleyes

(09-21-2020, 11:28 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I personally think it is far better to have a court of constitutional conservatives vs liberal activists.

I hope you understand that the conservative justices can be, and have been, activist as well. Judicial activism is not a "liberal" thing.

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - Mickeypoo - 09-22-2020

(09-22-2020, 03:02 AM)Dill Wrote: Does it matter to you how they get on the court?

No, not so long as it is legal and constitutional.

Almost all politicians suck and are hypocrites in my opinion and politics in this day and age are brutal.  

You have Don Lemon on CNN last saying we should tear down the system, abolish the electoral college and stack the court.  You have Pelosi saying she might impeach the President.  Why?  Because they are not getting their way.  Not because anything is illegal or unconstitutional, they just are not getting their way right now. 

All I want in the SCOTUS is for the constitution and laws to be interpreted as written.  Constitutional Conservatives fit much closer to that than Liberal Activists do.  

(09-22-2020, 07:12 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, not like "conservatives" talking about an armed insurrection or challenging the election results if Trump loses. :eyeroll:

I hope you understand that the conservative justices can be, and have been, activist as well. Judicial activism is not a "liberal" thing.

Yup, both weak minded and both suck.  As it stands right now, I only see liberals freaking out.  Talking about something and doing something are 2 different things.  Liberals have been rioting and looting and "peacefully protesting" and in general freaking out for awhile now.

Yup, agree, but It appears to be more of a problem from the liberal side.

Liberals were fine when they had the majority, but now that they might have to share the world is going to end and we should burn it all down.

(09-22-2020, 09:04 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Yup, both weak minded and both suck.  As it stands right now, I only see liberals freaking out.  Talking about something and doing something are 2 different things.  Liberals have been rioting and looting and "peacefully protesting" and in general freaking out for awhile now.

Then you haven't been paying much attention.

(09-22-2020, 09:04 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Yup, agree, but It appears to be more of a problem from the liberal side.

Liberals were fine when they had the majority, but now that they might have to share the world is going to end and we should burn it all down.

Liberals haven't had a majority on the SCOTUS in over 30 years. The Rehnquist and Roberts courts have both held a conservative majority throughout their times. The concern most liberals have is that with another conservative on the bench there will be a push of judicial activism on the right.

(09-22-2020, 09:15 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Then you haven't been paying much attention.

Liberals haven't had a majority on the SCOTUS in over 30 years. The Rehnquist and Roberts courts have both held a conservative majority throughout their times. The concern most liberals have is that with another conservative on the bench there will be a push of judicial activism on the right.

So I am honestly trying to learn more about this.  Can you please give me an example of what conservative activism would look like?  Can you give me an example of a case?

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - Vas Deferens - 09-22-2020

(09-22-2020, 09:42 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: So I am honestly trying to learn more about this.  Can you please give me an example of what conservative activism would look like?  Can you give me an example of a case?

Citizens United v. FEC

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - bfine32 - 09-22-2020

(09-22-2020, 02:56 AM)Dill Wrote: That was me saying McConnell should consider sticking to his own precedent.

McConnell assured Trump stole a pick from Obama. Now he'll make sure Trump gets a third, for a 6-3 court.

He's fine with what you state now.  Maybe in 2024 too.  He hopes everyone will Bfine with his actions.

I wasn't fine with his actions in 2016. 

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-22-2020

(09-22-2020, 02:30 AM)Dill Wrote: You didn't trouble yourself to demonstrate you even understood my "position" and then explain what was hypocritical about it.

You mean I didn't type an unnecessarily long two page paper about how your position is hypocritical on its face?  I leave that type of meandering, overly verbose, response to others.

Quote:Just name-calling isn't "pointing out" anything. It is just name-calling.

Authoritarian pronouncements about what is or is not "up for debate" don't "point out" anything either. Especially from the guy who alternates between moral absolutism and "nuance" when it suits him.

This time it is moral absolutism--If wrong then, then wrong now!

But two wrongs wouldn't automatically make one hypocritical, just wrong twice. 

Wrong then and right now is only wrong once, and not necessarily hypocritical. 

Same for right then and wrong now. And one could be hypocritically right in both cases.

That's because hypocrisy generally isn't assessed separately from intentions and claimed ethical standards from which those intentions determinably diverge. You can't get anything like that from my post.

A very long winded way of saying "it's ok when I do it".  You've been doing this a lot of late.  Like I said, having integrity is difficult.  If it was easy everyone would do it.

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - bfine32 - 09-22-2020

I remember this conversation back in 2016. Although it was shown that the Dems were being hypocritical (see Harry Reid filibuster, see Biden's 1992 thoughts on filling SCOTUS in POTUS last year) every Liberal and the vast majority of conservatives in this forum acknowledged Obama should make the nomination and that nomination should be vetted

Fast forward to 2020 and we have the exact situation (including the hypocrisy) and every conservative acknowledges that Trump should make the nomination and that nomination should be vetted; while the vast majority of Liberals feel differently.

(09-22-2020, 09:42 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: So I am honestly trying to learn more about this.  Can you please give me an example of what conservative activism would look like?  Can you give me an example of a case?

One of the best pieces of writing I have read on this was "Do Liberals and Conservatives Differ in Judicial Activism?" by Frank Easterbrook. Here is the link, but I don't know if it will work without subscription access: https://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2135&context=journal_articles

There is also, from the same publication, "Beyond Judicial Activism and Restraint" by Richard Epstein. https://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2232&context=journal_articles

Easterbrook actually goes into cases and decisions by SCOTUS, analyzing them based on their "judicial activism" and finds that it's at issue on both sides. But the important thing to note from both articles is that they point out the almost useless idea of the term to begin with. Easterbrook puts it flat out there by saying:

Quote:The term "activism" thus used is empty, a mask for a substantive position. "Activism" remains, however, a term of opprobrium. Everyone wants to appropriate and apply the word so that his favored approach is sound and its opposite "activist." Then "activism" just means Judges Behaving Badly-and each person fills in a different definition of "badly." Many of the papers prepared for this symposium are aware of the problem, denounce any definition of "activism" that just equates to "wrong decisions, as I see them"-and then offer a definition of "activism" that equates, once again, to Judges Behaving Badly.

He talks towards the end about his analysis and wraps up with this:
Quote:By my standard, all nine are activist. That all nine subscribe to in principle, and use in practice, the noxious canon of constitutional doubt is proof enough of this. Each of the nine declared more federal statutes unconstitutional in each Term I examined than John Marshall did in a 34-year career. And there does not appear to be any significant difference on the "activism" scale between liberals and conservatives.

Perhaps my findings show that even an objective definition of activism does not capture much of value. But if that is the conclusion, then I will be happy to close this conference with a plea for the word's abolition.

He does provide an appendix of the cases used at the end, so I won't rehash them here. I also just want to point out that this is a Federal Appeals Court Judge appointed by Ronald Reagan and is a rather conservative jurist.

(09-22-2020, 09:51 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Citizens United v. FEC

Thank you.  I will look that up.

(09-22-2020, 10:11 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: One of the best pieces of writing I have read on this was "Do Liberals and Conservatives Differ in Judicial Activism?" by Frank Easterbrook. Here is the link, but I don't know if it will work without subscription access: https://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2135&context=journal_articles

There is also, from the same publication, "Beyond Judicial Activism and Restraint" by Richard Epstein. https://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2232&context=journal_articles

Easterbrook actually goes into cases and decisions by SCOTUS, analyzing them based on their "judicial activism" and finds that it's at issue on both sides. But the important thing to note from both articles is that they point out the almost useless idea of the term to begin with. Easterbrook puts it flat out there by saying:

He talks towards the end about his analysis and wraps up with this:

He does provide an appendix of the cases used at the end, so I won't rehash them here. I also just want to point out that this is a Federal Appeals Court Judge appointed by Ronald Reagan and is a rather conservative jurist.
Very interesting!   Thank you.

(09-22-2020, 10:30 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Very interesting!   Thank you.

No problem. I spend way more time than I should looking at these sorts of things. Vas mentioned Citizens United, which is one more recent and prominent example of conservative "judicial activism," but I honestly don't get behind the term much, either. I use it almost primarily in mockery or in an effort to point out that the term is like Easterbrook points out, just used when we don't agree with a decision.

Thought this was an interesting tweet thread for this:

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - BmorePat87 - 09-22-2020

(09-22-2020, 10:38 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: No problem. I spend way more time than I should looking at these sorts of things. Vas mentioned Citizens United, which is one more recent and prominent example of conservative "judicial activism," but I honestly don't get behind the term much, either. I use it almost primarily in mockery or in an effort to point out that the term is like Easterbrook points out, just used when we don't agree with a decision.

[Image: Bout.gif]

I use this in class and then quote this article:

Quote:Recent events have brought the term "activist judge" to the forefront of American politics, but some judicial experts say they believe the label may be nothing more than a smokescreen to taint members of the court.
"There is no such thing as an activist judge," said FOX News senior judicial analyst Andrew Napolitano, who served as a New Jersey superior court judge from 1987 to 1995.
"An activist judge is one whose ruling you disagree with. And if you agree with what the judge has done, you call them heroic and intelligent and honest. If you disagree with them, you call them activists."
Napolitano said the definition of "activist judge" differs from the right to the left side of the political spectrum.
"To conservatives, activist judges are those who permit or compel activity in which the opinion of the conservatives can only be done in the legislative branch," he said. "To liberals, activist judges are judges who prevent the government from doing things that the Legislature wants to do."
The dictionary defines an "activist" as someone who fights in support of or in opposition to one side of a controversial issue.
But members from both sides of the political aisle have been applying the label of "activist judge" to jurists who are believed to be applying their own ideological beliefs to their rulings, rather than adhering to established law.

[Image: MouISRn.png]

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - CJD - 09-22-2020

Romney supports holding a vote on next Supreme Court nominee

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - Dill - 09-22-2020

(09-22-2020, 10:03 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I remember this conversation back in 2016. Although it was shown that the Dems were being hypocritical (see Harry Reid filibuster, see Biden's 1992 thoughts on filling SCOTUS in POTUS last year) every Liberal and the vast majority of conservatives in this forum acknowledged Obama should make the nomination and that nomination should be vetted

Fast forward to 2020 and we have the exact situation (including the hypocrisy) and every conservative acknowledges that Trump should make the nomination and that nomination should be vetted; while the vast majority of Liberals feel differently.

Not even McConnell would agree "we have the exact situation."

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - Dill - 09-22-2020

(09-22-2020, 10:01 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You mean I didn't type an unnecessarily long two page paper about how your position is hypocritical on its face?  I leave that type of meandering, overly verbose, response to others.

A very long winded way of saying "it's ok when I do it".  You've been doing this a lot of late.  Like I said, having integrity is difficult.  If it was easy everyone would do it.

You didn't because you can't, and you can't because it isn't.

Your choice was not between "a two page paper" or ad hominem.

Yet you went with the unsupported accusation. You've been doing a lot of this of late--Well, no. for years.

And people who make accusations they cannot support, who dodge support, are not arguing for integrity, however "difficult."

They are demonstrating its opposite.

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - PhilHos - 09-22-2020

(09-22-2020, 12:20 PM)Dill Wrote: You didn't because you can't, and you can't because it isn't.

Your choice was not between "a two page paper" or ad hominem.

Yet you went with the unsupported accusation. You've been doing a lot of this of late--Well, no. for years.

And people who make accusations they cannot support, who dodge support, are not arguing for integrity, however "difficult."

They are demonstrating its opposite.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, the "I know you are but what am I?" defense. I haven't seen that trotted out in over 30 years.

That's a bold move, Cotton. LOL

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - CJD - 09-22-2020

It is fine if you believe there is a temporal boundary after which it is no longer appropriate for the current president to get to nominate a supreme court justice.

You may think it is 6 months. You may think it is a year. You may think it's 2 years. Whatever your boundary is, you aren't, by necessity, a hypocrite if you believe McConnell was wrong in 2016 and still wrong in 2020. If your boundary was 6 months prior to the election you would, by definition, not be a hypocrite.

The question at hand is how do you define that boundary and what happens when you defy your own definition of that boundary when it is personally beneficial to you or your party?

This discussion has nothing to do with what Democrats think. It has everything to do with what Republicans think. Why does McConnell say that the current President should not be able to appoint the next SCOTUS judge with 9 months until the next election (and 11 months until the end of the term), but the current president should be able to appoint the next SCOTUS judge with less than 2 months until the next election (and 4 months until the end of the term?

His justification is that no SCOTUS judge has been confirmed by the opposite party majority Senate in an election year since 1880, or whatever, but that's a lie. Anthony Kennedy was confirmed on February 3, 1988 by a majority Democratic Senate when the President was Ronald Reagan 9 months prior to the next election where Reagan could not run because he had already served two terms.

Oh, what's that? He meant to say that no SCOTUS judge has been NOMINATED AND confirmed by the opposite party majority Senate in an election year since whenever? Oh okay. So because Anthony Kennedy was nominated on November 11, 1987, his confirmation in an election year is in the clear? Even though his nomination was still within the last year (12 month period) before an election? Huh, interesting. I guess he put up just enough qualifiers for Kennedy to not technically qualify for his boundaries that he is arbitrarily setting and moving (he did not mention this whole opposite party thing in 2016, to my knowledge. He just said it flatly had to do with the election year).

They go on to say that the people of America "re-elected and expanded" that the Senate should be Republican in 2018, even though the House, much more representative of the will of the people (since it is proportional to population and fully up for re-election every midterm and presidential year, whereas the Senate is not) obviously shows that to be false. Plus, with the way Senate seats go up for election every 6 years, there was basically no opportunity for the Democrats to take the Senate in 2018, even though they had the will of the people behind them. There just simply weren't enough Republican seats up for election in swing areas. In 2020, it happens to be the case that the Senate could potentially flip to the Democrats' control, although it is far from guaranteed. The point is, this idea that 2018 proved that the people still wished the Republicans to be in control is iffy at best and downright dishonest at worst.

This opposite party addition is purely to make an excuse for their own hypocrisy and any attempt to "both sides" this is just going to make the person making that argument look foolish. This is a naked power grab by the Republicans who seem to think the ends justifies the means.

All I can say is, if the Republicans really want to go down the road of "anything goes when you have the majority" I hope they enjoy the new 13 member Supreme Court the next time the Democrats hold the majorities in both wings of Congress and the Presidency, incidentally something that has a relatively decent probability to happen in this coming election, based on polling.

If decency, integrity and civility are dead in Washington, the least the Democrats can do is follow suit. The only question remaining is if the Democrats have the spine to actually answer the Republicans' blatant partisanship with equally blatant partisanship. Thus far, they have refused. I really really hope they stop this "we can reason with the unreasonable" nonsense soon. 

The Republicans are not here to work with you, Democrats. They are here to push their agenda (that which often directly contradicts your own) at any cost. It would be nice if you would at least recognize that...