Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Changing My Mind About Taylor - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Changing My Mind About Taylor (/Thread-Changing-My-Mind-About-Taylor)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Changing My Mind About Taylor - Essex Johnson - 09-28-2020

a kick and a catch and we are 2-1.. lol... we are in rebuild.. I remember in 2018 midway into season in Buffalo the call was to fire Mcdermott.. he had taken over a much better team than Bengals in 2017.. but 2018 was 2-7.. and the heat was on to fire him.. Bills stayed the course and look where they are. Stay the course, have to have a young coach time with a rebuilding team..

RE: Changing My Mind About Taylor - Essex Johnson - 09-28-2020

So each game Burrow has improved.. so if you are happy with that improvement of Burrow you also have to give Taylor credit also.

It seems they are developing a nice mix together.. Burrow has not regressed after a subpar first game, he has improved.. Taylor was hired for this reason.. to nurture a young QB.. sure i want wins and yes im am frustrated with the team.. but i am the harshest critic on Burrow and each game he has gotten better so im going to give credit to Taylor also. Stay the course let him continue to improve Burrow as a QB.. the front office has to fix the Line ....

RE: Changing My Mind About Taylor - Yojimbo - 09-28-2020

(09-28-2020, 06:58 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: a kick and a catch and we are 2-1.. lol... we are in rebuild.. I remember in 2018 midway into season in Buffalo the call was to fire Mcdermott.. he had taken over a much better team than Bengals in 2017.. but 2018 was 2-7.. and the heat was on to fire him.. Bills stayed the course and look where they are. Stay the course, have to have a young coach time with a rebuilding team..

Except McDermott had a track record of being good at something, he was a good NFL DC. ZT has a track record of being a bad OC. I’d love for somebody to show me an example of a HC having success when they were bad as a coordinator, might give me some hope.

RE: Changing My Mind About Taylor - WhodeyRay - 09-28-2020

F*** Zak Taylor and the white horse he rode in on! Thats all I have to say about this guy.

RE: Changing My Mind About Taylor - chopperbobby - 09-28-2020

ZT has at least 5 years. Mike Brown likes home he is a good guy. Loyal. MB don’t care about wins.

RE: Changing My Mind About Taylor - Bengalitis - 09-29-2020

Did they ever disclose how much $$$$ Zac got paid to coach the Bengals?

RE: Changing My Mind About Taylor - OUatown - 09-29-2020

(09-28-2020, 01:36 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: There is a New York Post article on firing Adam Gase and this was a quote from there:

“To the fans that are calling for [Gase’s] his head, I never really understood that,’’ Van Roten said. “I was on a team last year, we fired our coach and it’s not like we started winning games. You go further in the tank. So, I’m not really sure what that solves.”

I looked back at every time a team had an interim coach since 2010. There have been 20 instances in that time where a coach was fired before the end of the season. Interim coaches have gone 39-65 in that time. Only two had winning records. One was Jason Garrett, who replaced Wade Phillips in Dallas in 2010 in midyear. The other is Gregg Williams, who replaced Hue Jackson in 2018 with the Browns. Both went 5-3. No team has made the playoffs who replaced their coach.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/28/jets-firing-adam-gase-would-only-accomplish-one-thing/

If the season ends with another 2 wins or 3 wins even, you move on but I don't see the benefit in changing things mid season, never have, unless it is to bench a player for another guy.

New coach means new system, and a new way of doing things. It is hard to put that sort of change into effect correctly at the mid way point. Plus, you aren't going to hire a guy who is going to be the long term solution right now. Can't go get a OC or DC from another team right now, so you would be replacing with another guy who is coaching a 0-2-1 team, or a guy sitting at home on his couch who wasn't deemed good enough by any of the 32 teams to start with.

There isn't a real benefit to switching guys right now unless you think someone on this coaching staff is going to be the next Jason Garrett.

He’s 2-16-1... honestly how much worse can it get? We have a chance to beat Jacksonville, but I fear jay is gonna smoke us... Then we fire him on the bye week?

RE: Changing My Mind About Taylor - OUatown - 09-29-2020

(09-28-2020, 02:55 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I think he has the makings to be a good HC. But, it's becoming ever more clear that he is just not a good playcaller. He needs to turn those duties over to Callahan and let him sink or swim and replace him if necessary. 

I like your blind optimism, but what makes you think he has the good makings to be a good HC?

RE: Changing My Mind About Taylor - Tony - 09-29-2020

Zack's gonna put it together guys.. This OLine is really really bad. He can't even get a run game going. They even tried to pitch it out because they cant run into the line. Well that didn't work either. This line is really bad..

RE: Changing My Mind About Taylor - Tony - 09-29-2020

(09-28-2020, 08:00 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Except McDermott had a track record of being good at something, he was a good NFL DC. ZT has a track record of being a bad OC. I’d love for somebody to show me an example of a HC having success when they were bad as a coordinator, might give me some hope.
When people point out Zacks track record, it really does kill all optimism...

RE: Changing My Mind About Taylor - tenacious-B - 09-29-2020

The only way I gain back even a little optimism for Zac Taylor having what it takes to turn this thing around is if he grows some balls and fires Jim Turner. That bum has to go. He's done absolutely nothing to deserve his his job as OL coach. He's garbage.

RE: Changing My Mind About Taylor - GodFather - 09-29-2020

(09-29-2020, 01:34 AM)Tony Wrote: When people point out Zacks track record, it really does kill all optimism...

ANTHONY!!!  ANTHONY!!!

Most days Anthony takes his time going home. He reads the Bengals Board and puts his two cents in on the state of the Bengals.....

But not today. Today is Wednesday, and as every family in the area will tell you.....Wednesday is Prince spaghetti day.  

RE: Changing My Mind About Taylor - TheLeonardLeap - 09-29-2020

(09-28-2020, 01:18 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I have been saying for the last few weeks that we need to give Taylor this season before we write him off as a failure. After yesterday's game, I'm having a hard time keeping to that deadline.

The optimist in me says to just give him more time; we've lost so many games by 1 score or less and once he turns it around we'll start winning those games.

The fan who sat through all the Bengals teams from the 90s says to jettison him now and try to salvage this season with someone else (Darrin Simmons? Wade Phillips?) and then try again with the a whole new coaching staff in the offseason (assuming interim HC does not do well enough).

And honestly the pessimist in me is starting to win my internal debates.

Any other frequent Zac defenders feel the same?

I think more accurately you said anyone who wanted him gone was "...at best short-sighted, and more likely, just plain dumb."

Ninja

Welcome to the Dark Side, Phil.

RE: Changing My Mind About Taylor - GodFather - 09-29-2020

(09-29-2020, 05:10 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Welcome to the Dark Side, Phil.

But aren't 99% of Bengal fans on the dark side due to Emperor Brown's decisions?

RE: Changing My Mind About Taylor - PhilHos - 09-29-2020

(09-29-2020, 01:26 AM)OUatown Wrote: I like your blind optimism, but what makes you think he has the good makings to be a good HC?

Mainly that the team played hard up until time ran out in Game 16 last year. They started off, what 0-11? The fact that the team played hard all season is a credit to Taylor, IMO. He actually seems to make halftime adjustments. Not to mention that most of our losses have been by 1 score or less and I think Taylor COULD be a good HC. 

He needs to address his weaknesses and the weaknesses on his team better. For example, he needs to recognize his playcaller sucks (read: he sucks at playcalling) and replace him.

The potential is certainly there. Will he reach it is the question? He'll certainly have the time and opportunity here in Cincy that he wouldn't get anywhere else. The problem is what happens to the team if he never reaches that potential. Are we looking at a 90s redux here?

(09-29-2020, 05:10 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think more accurately you said anyone who wanted him gone was "...at best short-sighted, and more likely, just plain dumb."

Ninja

Welcome to the Dark Side, Phil.

Guess what? It's no longer possible to fire Taylor after the 2nd game of his 2nd season. I win!  ThumbsUp

(09-29-2020, 09:15 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Guess what? It's no longer possible to fire Taylor after the 2nd game of his 2nd season. I win!  ThumbsUp

"18 game sample size is just short-sighted and plain dumb, but 19 games? Now 19 game sample size is a different story." - Basically you.

Well played. Lol

So who do you want as the new HC? I've never gotten off the Bieniemy for HC hill I have been on since the '18-'19 offseason. If Zimmer is indeed on some kind of hot seat, then Zimmer as DC and Bieniemy as HC is about all I could ask for coaching-wise.

RE: Changing My Mind About Taylor - Synric - 09-29-2020

(09-29-2020, 09:25 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: "18 game sample size is just short-sighted and plain dumb, but 19 games? Now 19 game sample size is a different story." - Basically you.

Well played. Lol

So who do you want as the new HC? I've never gotten off the Bieniemy for HC hill I have been on since the '18-'19 offseason. If Zimmer is indeed on some kind of hot seat, then Zimmer as DC and Bieniemy as HC is about all I could ask for coaching-wise.

Pete Carmichael deserves a shot as a Head Coach. 

(09-29-2020, 09:28 AM)Synric Wrote: Pete Carmichael deserves a shot as a Head Coach. 

I am real hesitant to touch anyone who comes from the shadow of Sean Payton and Drew Brees (doubly so since he's been at that job for 12 years). 

Can't help but feel like that's going to result in a weird combo of Ken Zampese (a QB coach with the same team for 13 years who nobody was interested in hiring) and Josh McDaniels (guy who thrived in the shadow of Bill Belichick and Tom Brady). Neither of those two worked out well at their new positions.

(09-29-2020, 09:25 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: "18 game sample size is just short-sighted and plain dumb, but 19 games? Now 19 game sample size is a different story." - Basically you.

Well played. Lol

In all seriousness, I said I'm GETTING there, but I'm not there yet.

(09-29-2020, 09:25 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: So who do you want as the new HC? I've never gotten off the Bieniemy for HC hill I have been on since the '18-'19 offseason. If Zimmer is indeed on some kind of hot seat, then Zimmer as DC and Bieniemy as HC is about all I could ask for coaching-wise.

Right now, I'd be fine with Phillips or Zimmer as HC or DC and Simmons or Bieniemy as HC.