Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Watson Joins Browns - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Rival Talk (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Rival-Talk)
+--- Thread: Watson Joins Browns (/Thread-Watson-Joins-Browns)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Watson Joins Browns - casear2727 - 03-18-2022

(03-18-2022, 05:56 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Who is this guy?  Is that Bates Agent?  

Yes

RE: Watson Joins Browns - Housh - 03-18-2022

(03-18-2022, 05:15 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Maybe but he can still be suspended by the NFL for a number of games based on those cases.  

I’m guessing a large suspension is coming

8-10 games easy

RE: Watson Joins Browns - kalibengal - 03-18-2022

(03-18-2022, 05:21 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This screams insanity

this is insane $ for a guy who hasnt played ina  while , still may have legal problems and if I read correctly will be suspened 1st 6 games?
If this is the new norm on what "good QBs" go for, Burrows next deal is going to be a roller coaster ride 

RE: Watson Joins Browns - psychdoctor - 03-18-2022

(03-18-2022, 08:20 PM)kalibengal Wrote: this is insane $ for a guy who hasnt played ina  while , still may have legal problems and if I read correctly will be suspened 1st 6 games?
If this is the new norm on what "good QBs" go for, Burrows next deal is going to be a roller coaster ride 

If the Bengals did not have Joe Burrow and they were to sign someone like Watson, could you imagine the flack they would receive??

RE: Watson Joins Browns - CKwi88 - 03-18-2022

(03-18-2022, 08:20 PM)kalibengal Wrote: this is insane $ for a guy who hasnt played ina  while , still may have legal problems and if I read correctly will be suspened 1st 6 games?

Just look at the WR extensions. The money is going bonkers.

RE: Watson Joins Browns - StrictlyBiz - 03-18-2022

This

The draft picks for a player of Watson's caliber? Okay, that's what it costs.
$230M for an elite QB? Okay, that's what it costs.

Together.....Um, that's bad. You give $230M guaranteed to the guy you drafted.

Add in that he hasn't played in a year and the suspension that is no doubt coming, and  this has The Hindenburg written all over. 
They've got 2 maybe 3 years to win it all. And Watson will miss significant time in those seasons. And you have to beat Joe Burrow. 

This will doom them for a decade. 

RE: Watson Joins Browns - Shake n Blake - 03-18-2022

(03-18-2022, 06:39 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I don't see how the Steelers are going to be relevant this year but they are like a cockroach that is hard to step on.  

They've stayed regular season relevant...sort of.

Since the Steelers last made a Super Bowl after the 2010 season:

11 seasons
4x missed playoffs
5x lost in wild card
3-7 in the playoffs
Lost to QBs like Tebow, Bortles and Baker
Ben had a pedestrian 88.7 passer rating With 13 turnovers

We had as many playoff wins in January as the Steelers have in the last 11 years.

RE: Watson Joins Browns - Nately120 - 03-18-2022

(03-18-2022, 08:37 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Just look at the WR extensions. The money is going bonkers.

I picked a bad time to be in my 40s and terrible at football.

(03-18-2022, 08:29 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If the Bengals did not have Joe Burrow and they were to sign someone like Watson, could you imagine the flack they would receive??

I have to say that I personally have ignored NFL-related flack, what choice did I have?  A decade ago I lived in Chicago and I was in my 20s and single and so many angry liberal women were like "You like football?  What a backwards barbaric, racist, misogynistic waste of time!  All that money should go towards feeding the poor!" and then after that I moved back to rural PA and all the conservative folks were like "You like football?  What a dangerously progressive, America hating, woke-broking, traitor-worshipping waste of time!  All that money should go towards veterans!"

Honestly, Joe Burrow could blow up a bus full of orphans tomorrow and I'd be like...we came so close to winning the Super Bowl...this year he's gonna take us all the way.

(03-18-2022, 08:37 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: This will doom them for a decade. 

Maybe.  I mean, I can't be the only one who sat through 5 years of garbage football to watch us assemble the team we have now.  Sometimes you have to suffer now or later. 

RE: Watson Joins Browns - psychdoctor - 03-18-2022

(03-18-2022, 10:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I picked a bad time to be in my 40s and terrible at football.

I have to say that I personally have ignored NFL-related flack, what choice did I have?  A decade ago I lived in Chicago and I was in my 20s and single and so many angry liberal women were like "You like football?  What a backwards barbaric, racist, misogynistic waste of time!  All that money should go towards feeding the poor!" and then after that I moved back to rural PA and all the conservative folks were like "You like football?  What a dangerously progressive, America hating, woke-broking, traitor-worshipping waste of time!  All that money should go towards veterans!"

Honestly, Joe Burrow could blow up a bus full of orphans tomorrow and I'd be like...we came so close to winning the Super Bowl...this year he's gonna take us all the way.

Maybe.  I mean, I can't be the only one who sat through 5 years of garbage football to watch us assemble the team we have now.  Sometimes you have to suffer now or later. 

I'm a little drunk but this is funny as hell

RE: Watson Joins Browns - kevin - 03-18-2022

(03-18-2022, 04:52 PM)basballguy Wrote: Browns still have to actually trade for him first.  Maybe they send Baker to Houston?

They just did. They traded their #1 draft picks for 3 years.   The Browns have lost their minds.  Or they have watched Draft Day movie where Kevin Costner as Browns GM trades 3 years of #1 Draft Picks for a QB.  In the movie, Costner gets all his #1 picks back and fixes his mistake.  In real life, The Browns will never get these picks back.  The Browns just sold the future of their team, and they will suffer for it.  However beware of The Texans, because they are the true winners on this Steal of a trade. 

(03-18-2022, 10:17 PM)kevin Wrote: They just did. They traded their #1 draft picks for 3 years.   The Browns have lost their minds.  Or they have watched Draft Day movie where Kevin Costner as Browns GM trades 3 years of #1 Draft Picks for a QB.  In the movie, Costner gets all his #1 picks back and fixes his mistake.  In real life, The Browns will never get these picks back.  The Browns just sold the future of their team, and they will suffer for it.  However beware of The Texans, because they are the true winners on this Steal of a trade. 

I don't get it.  A month ago we were all talking about how being a Bengals fan had finally paid off after slogging through 30 years of mediocrity and abject misery, but we also don't mind laughing at the fans of team that trade a bunch of picks for QBs because they're going to be in hell before you know it.  Just seems a bit wacky.

We get one elite QB in 34 years and suddenly we are laughing at all the dumbass teams who "spent too much" to get their own guy.  I will say some Steeler fan pals of mine were lamenting that they weren't bad enough to get a franchise changing QB and I just asked them if they were really going to sit there and watch a 2 win season...because I've done it, damn it.  Trading a lot of picks for an elite QB isn't easy, but neither is waiting for someone like Joe Burrow to appear.

I mean, the last time the Bengals were this good I was in 1st grade and now I'm going grey, have a bad back, and see people who were born when I was in grad school going to grad school...but hey, at least I didn't have to watch us trade the picks we used to draft John Ross and Billy Price go to getting an elite QB, right?

I'd legimately trade the seven 1st round picks we used prior to Burrow getting here for Burrow.  Eifert, Dennard, Ogbuehi, WJIII, Ross, Billy Price and Jonah Williams for Burrow.  I'd make that trade. 

I half joked about it when we drafted him, but Burrow is going to be worth so much he may as well be given 51% share of the team itself.

RE: Watson Joins Browns - michaelsean - 03-18-2022

Did they have the cap space for this?

It'll be interesting to browse the message boards of the Browns as well as the teams who missed out on Watson in the Falcons, Saints, and Panthers to see how the knee-jerk takes shake out.

RE: Watson Joins Browns - Shake n Blake - 03-19-2022

(03-18-2022, 10:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't get it.  A month ago we were all talking about how being a Bengals fan had finally paid off after slogging through 30 years of mediocrity and abject misery, but we also don't mind laughing at the fans of team that trade a bunch of picks for QBs because they're going to be in hell before you know it.  Just seems a bit wacky.

We get one elite QB in 34 years and suddenly we are laughing at all the dumbass teams who "spent too much" to get their own guy.  I will say some Steeler fan pals of mine were lamenting that they weren't bad enough to get a franchise changing QB and I just asked them if they were really going to sit there and watch a 2 win season...because I've done it, damn it.  Trading a lot of picks for an elite QB isn't easy, but neither is waiting for someone like Joe Burrow to appear.

I mean, the last time the Bengals were this good I was in 1st grade and now I'm going grey, have a bad back, and see people who were born when I was in grad school going to grad school...but hey, at least I didn't have to watch us trade the picks we used to draft John Ross and Billy Price go to getting an elite QB, right?

I'd legimately trade the seven 1st round picks we used prior to Burrow getting here for Burrow.  Eifert, Dennard, Ogbuehi, WJIII, Ross, Billy Price and Jonah Williams for Burrow.  I'd make that trade. 

I don't necessarily think the Browns were wrong for doing it. I just know that it's extremely risky for a multitude of reasons. For one, Watson's legal issues. Then the size of the contract will necessitate bringing in "value" players...but they gave up a butt load of picks, so that might be a problem.

Also, the Texans were never good with Watson.

So sure, do it....but this looks like it could easily blow up in the Browns faces, and if it does, it'll send them right back to being the same ol Browns.

TL/DR: I'd be a fan of this if I were a Browns fan, but as a Bengals fan, I'm glad they had to do it this way.

RE: Watson Joins Browns - Nately120 - 03-19-2022

(03-19-2022, 12:13 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't necessarily think the Browns were wrong for doing it. I just know that it's extremely risky for a multitude of reasons. For one, Watson's legal issues. Then the size of the contract will necessitate bringing in "value" players...but they gave up a butt load of picks, so that might be a problem.

Also, the Texans were never good with Watson.

So sure, do it....but this looks like it could easily blow up in the Browns faces, and if it does, it'll send them right back to being the same ol Browns.

TL/DR: I'd be a fan of this if I were a Browns fan, but as a Bengals fan, I'm glad they had to do it this way.

I hear ya.  The Texans won a playoff game with Watson, so if he keeps his status quo he could do something with a talented Browns team, but lordy the AFC North and AFC sure seem loaded now.

RE: Watson Joins Browns - Shake n Blake - 03-19-2022

(03-19-2022, 12:23 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I hear ya.  The Texans won a playoff game with Watson, so if he keeps his status quo he could do something with a talented Browns team, but lordy the AFC North and AFC sure seem loaded now.

The cream always rises to the crop. Or something like that. Mellow

RE: Watson Joins Browns - XenoMorph - 03-25-2022

(03-19-2022, 12:26 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The cream always rises to the crop. Or something like that. Mellow

Ohhhhh. Yeahhhh....     Snap into a slim jim

RE: Watson Joins Browns - XenoMorph - 03-25-2022

(03-18-2022, 10:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I half joked about it when we drafted him, but Burrow is going to be worth so much he may as well be given 51% share of the team itself.

Right i was talking to my coworker whos a browns fan and i said if Watson works out the way QB contracts are going in 5 years this might have looked like a good deal.

Now if it doesnt pan out it will Go straight to #1 all time bad deals

RE: Watson Joins Browns - Nately120 - 03-25-2022

(03-25-2022, 04:35 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Right i was talking to my coworker whos a browns fan and i said if Watson works out the way QB contracts are going in 5 years this might have looked like a good deal.

Now if it doesnt pan out it will Go straight to #1 all time bad deals

The Watson thing could go bust, but it has a better chance of success than giving Baker Mayfield a long-term contract and making him Jay Cutler 2.0.  The main thing is, if the Watson thing is a total disaster and the Browns are one of the worst teams in the league for the next decade....well, what's changed for them?

If they roll with Baker they'd probably be fighting for 3rd place in the AFC North.  That's hardly worth locking down and 2022 doesn't seem like the year to draft a QB, but it seems like damn near 75% of 1st round QB picks aren't working out, anyways.  What a world to not have Burrow...we're lucky stiffs.