Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
A Tribute Thread to SC Justice Scalia - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: A Tribute Thread to SC Justice Scalia (/Thread-A-Tribute-Thread-to-SC-Justice-Scalia)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: A Tribute Thread to SC Justice Scalia - bfine32 - 02-16-2016

(02-16-2016, 02:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And I am not even going to point out your typo because I know exactly what you mean.  I always think that is silly.

Yeah, both of those quotes say the same thing: Everyone does not agree on everything.

Thanks for not pointing out the typo, your a real stand up guy.

But another typo in there for you to not point out.

RE: A Tribute Thread to SC Justice Scalia - fredtoast - 02-16-2016

(02-16-2016, 02:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Now that I've answered yours, kindly answer mine:

You didn't answer his question.

He asksd why we should worry about any of this since none of his friends or family are going to read any of this.

All you did was repeat your original position that you thought it was okay to praise him, but not okay to criticize him.

I think we have reached that point where we just need to agree to disagree.  You think it is wrong, but you have no real reason other than your own personal belief. I think it is pointless to keep trying to argue the same thing over and over again when it is based on nothing but personal opinion.

RE: A Tribute Thread to SC Justice Scalia - fredtoast - 02-16-2016

(02-16-2016, 02:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thanks for not pointing out the typo, your a real stand up guy.

That is what stand up guys do.

ThumbsUp

RE: A Tribute Thread to SC Justice Scalia - GMDino - 02-16-2016

(02-16-2016, 02:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I mentioned in my apology if the intent of the thread is to simply discuss his decisions or in your words take umbrage with them. then no. If the intent is to tarnish a man's legacy so soon after his passing, then yes. Also many of the comments here have gone much further than taking umbrage with his decisions

As I said, if the intent was anything other than to tarnish his reputation then i apologize to the OP and those simply wishing to discuss his decisions. If the OP's and anyone else's comments were meant to belittle the person, then I do not.

Now that I've answered yours, kindly answer mine:

Why do you think this thread was created, given there were already two threads discussing his passing?

I think I said earlier (might not be in this thread) that there is a thread to discuss his passing, another to to discuss his possible replacement and another that is talking about his writings/decisions.

I think this thread was created to point out items/decisions/thoughts that the OP disagreed with.  And that the title was sarcasm.

RE: A Tribute Thread to SC Justice Scalia - Bengalzona - 02-16-2016

(02-16-2016, 12:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If your intent for creating this thread was to actually honor the man, as you have suggested, then please accept my apology. If your intent was to besmirch the man's legacy at the most inopportune time then my orginal objection remains; regardless of the validity of any meme. I took it as the latter, given the tone of the memes and ending it with the question: "Does anybody still miss him?".

Perhaps it was just the synic in me that viewed to intent of the message in a negative light. The apology has been extended, only you truely know if it is required.

My intent is to present some of his quotes and let people make up their own minds about him or to present their own information about him. It was also to engage a discussion about him.

I didn't like some of the stuff he did and said. But I don't see him as all bad. Still, my own bias does color the initial post. I also did that on purpose to get people who support him fired up to respond and point out good things about him.

RE: A Tribute Thread to SC Justice Scalia - RoyleRedlegs - 02-16-2016

(02-16-2016, 02:27 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: My intent is to present some of his quotes and let people make up their own minds about him or to present their own information about him. It was also to engage a discussion about him.

I didn't like some of the stuff he did and said. But I don't see him as all bad. Still, my own bias does color the initial post. I also did that on purpose to get people who support him fired up to respond and point out good things about him.

Then it should have been done in a more contextual way, not facebook meme kind of way. Unless that's the level of discussion you want. 

(02-16-2016, 02:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You didn't answer his question.

He asksd why we should worry about any of this since none of his friends or family are going to read any of this.

All you did was repeat your original position that you thought it was okay to praise him, but not okay to criticize him.

I think we have reached that point where we just need to agree to disagree.  You think it is wrong, but you have no real reason other than your own personal belief. I think it is pointless to keep trying to argue the same thing over and over again when it is based on nothing but personal opinion.
....and you think it's OK, but you have no real reason than there's a good chance none of his family and friends will read it.

Your opinion of it is fine to besmirch the recently deceased if you disagreed with his stance on various matters of law and  as long as there is a good  chance their family will not read it has been noted. I will stick with the opinion that it is juevinile and in poor taste, regardless who reads it.

I don't think we have to agree to disagree; pretty sure the factthat we disagree is a given.

(02-16-2016, 02:27 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: My intent is to present some of his quotes and let people make up their own minds about him or to present their own information about him. It was also to engage a discussion about him.

As I said; my apology stands.

Also consider your thread a success as I got "fired up' over what I percieved to be the petty nature of the thread.

RE: A Tribute Thread to SC Justice Scalia - Vas Deferens - 02-16-2016

(02-16-2016, 02:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ....and you think it's OK, but you have no real reason than there's a good chance none of his family and friends will read it.

Your opinion of it is fine to besmirch the recently deceased if you disagreed with his stance on various matters of law and  as long as there is a good  chance their family will not read it has been noted. I will stick with the opinion that it is juevinile and in poor taste, regardless who reads it.

I don't think we have to agree to disagree; pretty sure the factthat we disagree is a given.

I would say discussing the man's actual beliefs and actions is much less petty and juvenile than much of the 'michelle obama is fat and ugly' stuff some morons around here participate in.

RE: A Tribute Thread to SC Justice Scalia - Nately120 - 02-16-2016

(02-16-2016, 01:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Okey Dokey. I sure you would be happier if everyone shared your awesome points of view. Unfortunately they do not and it appears Justice Scalia was one of them. Fortunately the system is designed to have 9 Justices, that way even if every justice doesn't agree with your POV, if the majority do, then your awesome thoughts are passed.

Folks can hate on Scalia all they want, but the bottom line is he was not a totalitarian and his decension was often vital in determining the Constitutionality of many cases. You know, just in the off-chance that one of your awesome ideas may not be Constitutional. 

Who knows maybe one day all 9 Judge will share you awesome views and you have to dislike any of them.

Nah, I'm with you...to hell with freedom because of some mix of the constitution and some old ass book from the Middle East.

RE: A Tribute Thread to SC Justice Scalia - Belsnickel - 02-16-2016

(02-16-2016, 02:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Your opinion of it is fine to besmirch the recently deceased if you disagreed with his stance on various matters of law and  as long as there is a good  chance their family will not read it has been noted. I will stick with the opinion that it is juevinile and in poor taste, regardless who reads it.

I agree on this, however if we were to point out everything that is juvenile and in poor taste in this subforum we would be spending a lot more time than we already do in here doing so. This thread is a very mild example of that behavior in comparison to some other things we see around here.

RE: A Tribute Thread to SC Justice Scalia - GMDino - 02-16-2016

(02-16-2016, 03:07 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I would say discussing the man's actual beliefs and actions is much less petty and juvenile than much of the 'michelle obama is fat and ugly' stuff some morons around here participate in.

Smirk

I was thinking today about the post where we had to decide if Obama was a good enough basketball player in high school.

Some of the tangents are hilarious in retrospect. 

(02-16-2016, 03:16 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I agree on this, however if we were to point out everything that is juvenile and in poor taste in this subforum we would be spending a lot more time than we already do in here doing so. This thread is a very mild example of that behavior in comparison to some other things we see around here.

It's all pretty par for the course when someone dies.  When Reagan died you had people reheating old jokes about him eating jelly beans, taking naps, and/or being full of Alzheimer's during his second term.  You also had people canonizing the guy and making a push to throw Ben Franklin off the $50 bill to put Ronnie on there.

Basically, there are plenty of places where Scalia's death can be discussed as a tragedy, or a gigantic threat to the sanctity of the USA, and there are places where his death can be celebrated as...um, progress.  I recall Pat Robertson praying for some openings in the Supreme Court, so maybe this is his fault?

Aaaanyways, Scalia held some opinions that aren't shared by the majority so most places that involve a discussion about the guy are going to trend towards the less flattering side, I'd imagine.

(02-16-2016, 03:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's all pretty par for the course when someone dies.  When Reagan died you had people reheating old jokes about him eating jelly beans, taking naps, and/or being full of Alzheimer's during his second term.  You also had people canonizing the guy and making a push to throw Ben Franklin off the $50 bill to put Ronnie on there.

Basically, there are plenty of places where Scalia's death can be discussed as a tragedy, or a gigantic threat to the sanctity of the USA, and there are places where his death can be celebrated as...um, progress.  I recall Pat Robertson praying for some openings in the Supreme Court, so maybe this is his fault?

Aaaanyways, Scalia held some opinions that aren't shared by the majority so most places that involve a discussion about the guy are going to trend towards the less flattering side, I'd imagine.

I get that, I'm just doing my best not to get too negative towards people these days. It's why I ignore certain threads/posters, because I'm trying to live by the whole "if you don't have anything nice to say..." way of life.

I guess I've seen this subforum go down a hole I was sad to see it go, and I was as much a part of that as anyone else. I can't change everyone else, but I can change myself.

(02-16-2016, 03:34 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I get that, I'm just doing my best not to get too negative towards people these days. It's why I ignore certain threads/posters, because I'm trying to live by the whole "if you don't have anything nice to say..." way of life.

I guess I've seen this subforum go down a hole I was sad to see it go, and I was as much a part of that as anyone else. I can't change everyone else, but I can change myself.

Oh, I certainly don't blame you for not caring for this sort of thing.  I can't say I really care for it either, but I'll admit I'm more biased towards not caring about people dancing on some people's graves than others.

(02-16-2016, 02:30 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Then it should have been done in a more contextual way, not facebook meme kind of way. Unless that's the level of discussion you want. 

(02-16-2016, 02:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said; my apology stands.

Also consider your thread a success as I got "fired up' over what I percieved to be the petty nature of the thread.

(02-16-2016, 03:16 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I agree on this, however if we were to point out everything that is juvenile and in poor taste in this subforum we would be spending a lot more time than we already do in here doing so. This thread is a very mild example of that behavior in comparison to some other things we see around here.

We are an irreverent crew here in P&R. It is our nature and the nature of the topics (i.e. what some see as sancrosant, others do not). And frankly, as long as we are not insulting each other (such as calling other people "*****", etc.), P&R has always had a certain room for that irreverence.

I'm told that we need to have a certain reverence for the dead. Especially a Supreme Court Judge who served for so many years. For those who believe this, I think you are going about it the wrong way when you demand reverence based upon your morality. I think in today's society, you need to be able to explain to others why you think a certain person was great and, thereby, worthy of a certain reverence. I've been hoping to hear that from some of the more conservative posters here. But I haven't seen it yet. Saying Antonin Scalia was great because he sat on the highest court in the land is sort of like saying that Anthony Munoz was great because he is in the Hall of Fame. Saying Scalia was great because he was conservative is like saying Munoz was great just because he was a Bengal. It doesn't really describe what he did.

So I will tell those who are interested what he did and why he is worthy of some degree of reverence.

My eulogy to Antonin Scalia:
Antonin Scalia has been the champion of two legal positions during the past 40 years: Originalism and Textualism. Originalism is a concept that the meaning of the Constitution was fixed at the time it was enacted (i.e. the writer's of the Constitution wrote it exactly as it should be understood at that time and there is no need to re-interpret it, etc.). Textualism is basically that a legal text's ordinary meaning should govern its interpretation, not the intent or presumed intent of the writer, etc. These are some very basic definitions and a lot of heady writings have gone into these concepts from people who follow them and who oppose them (which I encourage people to read up on some). Both of these concepts are a part of what is called Legal Formalism theory. Basically in Legal Formalism theory, the feeling is that the substantive justice of a law should be addressed by the lawmakers, not the judge. The opposing viewpoint to this is Legal Instrumentalism or Legal Realism, a view that interpretation of the law is justified to serve the common good of society.

You might recognize some of the ideas floating around here about originalism and textualism as stuff you may have heard from Tea Party members. It has become part of the underpinning of the neo-conservative movement in America. But the ideas themselves are not necessarily conservative ideas: SC Justice Hugo Black (1937-1971), listed as a liberal judge, advocated these two concepts before Scalia. But Scalia took the ideas to a new level in his writings on the Supreme Court, and that caught the attention of the conservative world. This is why he is now considered a neo-con icon.

I posted a bunch of quotes and paraphrases in the OP, some of which seem really out of line or even ridiculous out-of-context. Bfine called me out on that, and he was right to do so. I was hoping someone would. You can't really get the idea of what Judge Scalia was trying to say out of just the isolated quote. And even then, you can't get the full idea outside of the concepts of Originalism and Textualism which he was framing most of those quotes (although I wonder if that counts in the agrument against Textualism Ninja ).

I don't necessarily agree with Scalia on the Originalism and Textualism. But I am nowhere near scholar enough to have ever argued them with him while he was alive. I also say this, it is an argument worth having and we, as a society, as better off for having someone like Scalia take up that side of the argument. I believe Judge Ginsberg would agree with me.

(02-16-2016, 10:17 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: We are an irreverent crew here in P&R. It is our nature and the nature of the topics (i.e. what some see as sancrosant, others do not). And frankly, as long as we are not insulting each other (such as calling other people "*****", etc.), P&R has always had a certain room for that irreverence.

I'm told that we need to have a certain reverence for the dead. Especially a Supreme Court Judge who served for so many years. For those who believe this, I think you are going about it the wrong way when you demand reverence based upon your morality.

There is a reason I didn't say anything for a long time in this thread. While I find things like this to be mildly juvenile it's nothing I feel like condemning or trying to force my views on someone about. It's my own personal thing. I also hold my tongue for much more egregious displays of immaturity and what I consider to be moral failings, so yeah.

I have just been enjoying being more judicious in my responses as of late.

(02-16-2016, 10:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: There is a reason I didn't say anything for a long time in this thread. While I find things like this to be mildly juvenile it's nothing I feel like condemning or trying to force my views on someone about. It's my own personal thing. I also hold my tongue for much more egregious displays of immaturity and what I consider to be moral failings, so yeah.

I have just been enjoying being more judicious in my responses as of late.

I probably could have written that a little better. Mellow

RE: A Tribute Thread to SC Justice Scalia - Nately120 - 02-17-2016

Meh, I feel like a lot of the positive things about Scalia are being said by people who agreed with him and/or knew him personally. I fall in neither of those camps, so nuts to it.

RE: A Tribute Thread to SC Justice Scalia - Mike M (the other one) - 02-18-2016

(02-16-2016, 10:04 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'll disagree on this point.

I'm not saying a judge should be fluent in all science, but if someone is a literal interpreter of the bible it would HAVE to affect their daily decisions including ones on the bench.  

That is not something I necessarily want anymore than someone making decisions based on any other holy book literally.

And, of course, that doesn't mean he made bad decisions because of his religious beliefs...just that it would have to be part of his decision making.

So then the Constitution is a useless piece of paper, because there is many decisions based on some one's interpretations of it as well.