Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion (/Thread-Oklahoma-Legislature-passes-bill-criminalizing-abortion)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion - Belsnickel - 05-22-2016

(05-22-2016, 10:32 AM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said early when SSF and I were having a rational comment on the matter: I am not all or nothing on abortions. You could even take it back a step further than the morning after pill and say I must be against contraception. The morning after pill is a viable compromise.

Once again you are letting your personal opinion on the matter cloud the function that OK is employing. If the majority of their state wants abortions to be illegal then the majority rules. Someone that doesn't want the child growing inside them may be burdened with the inconvenience of travelling out of state to have it legally destroyed. 

As to adoption: we have made inquiries. I have a co-worker that has 2. My youngest just left the nest and we have adequate resources to provide a loving safe environment. The only think stopping me from proceeding is age.  

This may be a better discussion for another thread, but most of the adoption processes I have seen are cost prohibitive as well. At least for us. We're not at a point where we would be able to financially support a child, bit even beyond that, the cost for adoption is high. Again, just my observations. We have looked into it because a natural child for us would be genetically ******.

RE: Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion - bfine32 - 05-22-2016

(05-22-2016, 10:36 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: You know I get the original angle you were coming from: laws like these are how pro-life proponents have to challenge Roe v Wade, a decision they find to be immoral and wrong. I get it. 

Likewise, I get the other argument: this is a matter of individual choice. As such, when the will of majority is forced on the minority at the costs of their rights, it's in direct violation to a principle of our Constitution: majority rule with minority rights. So while the majority will rule in a democracy, a democracy such as ours that respects the rights of the minority must then act when we have legislation that tries to take those rights away. When the majority votes in November, no rights will be inherently taken away.

Is pot the same as abortions? No. Does legalizing both mean giving citizens the freedom of choice and ownership of their bodies? Yes.

And Rights is what it all comes down to. If the majority of Oklahomans feel that destroying a healthy fetus is not a right; then the minority cannot over-rule by saying Yes it is. 

If SCOTUS repealed Roe v. Wade tomorrow, no one's rights would be taken away; however, a healthy fetus would now have the right to live. 

RE: Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion - bfine32 - 05-22-2016

(05-22-2016, 10:38 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This may be a better discussion for another thread, but most of the adoption processes I have seen are cost prohibitive as well. At least for us. We're not at a point where we would be able to financially support a child, bit even beyond that, the cost for adoption is high. Again, just my observations. We have looked into it because a natural child for us would be genetically *****.

It is quite to opposite here (or at least initial inquiries have indicated as such).There is virtually no cost to adopt and any Attorney fees are reimbursed by the state. In fact you receive a monthly stipend to assist in covering the cost of rearing the child.

RE: Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion - BigPapaKain - 05-22-2016

(05-22-2016, 10:58 AM)bfine32 Wrote: It is quite to opposite here (or at least initial inquiries have indicated as such).There is virtually no cost to adopt and any Attorney fees are reimbursed by the state. In fact you receive a monthly stipend to assist in covering the cost of rearing the child.

Someone lied to you.

(05-22-2016, 11:35 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Someone lied to you.

What is your experience with the KY Fostering and adoption services?

RE: Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion - BigPapaKain - 05-22-2016

(05-22-2016, 11:41 AM)bfine32 Wrote: What is your experience with the KY Fostering and adoption services?

None. Ohio is expensive as shit though.

I don't pay enough attention to where you (or anyone else on these boards for that matter) are from. And the mobile version doesn't have the little things like 'location' displayed.

Edit: write it up to me making assumptions based on who you're a fan of. As such, feel free to ignore my comment.

(05-22-2016, 11:45 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: None. Ohio is expensive as shit though.

I don't pay enough attention to where you (or anyone else on these boards for that matter) are from. And the mobile version doesn't have the little things like 'location' displayed.

No version has the location anymore.

I have no idea why states would make adoptions so expensive. They actually save money by placing kids in Foster and adoptive homes. Perhaps I'll start a thread is Klotsch. 

(05-22-2016, 11:51 AM)bfine32 Wrote: No version has the location anymore.

I have no idea why states would make adoptions so expensive. They actually save money by placing kids in Foster and adoptive homes. Perhaps I'll start a thread is Klotsch. 

Ah.

Yeah I'm not so sure. My adoption wasn't so expensive but there were extenuating circumstances that made it easier. But my son in law and daughter went through hell and a whole lot of money so he could adopt her first born. While the cost wasn't exactly mind boggling, it'd of made a damn good down payment on a damn good car.

But I digress from the topic in hand (and I've already gotten in trouble for it).

I find abortion discussions exhausting and pointless - but my stance on it is kind of in line with what Oklahoma is trying, but stricter than I'd like. I say the victims of rape should be allowed abortions as well as if it's life threatening to the mother or the child is in danger of an incredibly unhealthy life.

(05-22-2016, 01:22 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I find abortion discussions exhausting and pointless - 

Agreed, that is why I typically try to introduce something additional to the discussion. For instance in this one I have tried to focus on the legality of what Oklahoma is doing and who can stop them. In another I focused on the parental rights of the father.  Now that I know that a minor can have an abortion without parental consent; I may focus on that next time. But it is an emotional subject and folks let their emotions get in the way and they all become: Her body, her choice v. Killing a healthy unborn child. 

RE: Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion - NATI BENGALS - 05-22-2016

(05-22-2016, 10:32 AM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said early when SSF and I were having a rational comment on the matter: I am not all or nothing on abortions. You could even take it back a step further than the morning after pill and say I must be against contraception. The morning after pill is a viable compromise.

Once again you are letting your personal opinion on the matter cloud the function that OK is employing. If the majority of their state wants abortions to be illegal then the majority rules. Someone that doesn't want the child growing inside them may be burdened with the inconvenience of travelling out of state to have it legally destroyed. 

As to adoption: we have made inquiries. I have a co-worker that has 2. My youngest just left the nest and we have adequate resources to provide a loving safe environment. The only think stopping me from proceeding is age.  

Colorado had a vote. 1.3million citizens voted to give people the ability to chose if they want to use marijuana.

If OK had a vote like that for this abortion law and it passed i would have a lot less of a problem about it. That would be different than 16 senators telling a whole state they no longer get to chose.

RE: Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion - StLucieBengal - 05-22-2016

(05-22-2016, 03:27 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Colorado had a vote. 1.3million citizens voted to give people the ability to chose if they want to use marijuana.

If OK had a vote like that for this abortion law and it passed i would have a lot less of a problem about it. That would be different than 16 senators telling a whole state they no longer get to chose.

We should have a straight up vote state by state as let them all do as they wish.   Get rid of the fed control over the issue.  

Really with the morning after pill there is no need for legal abortions anyway.    I believe you get 72 hours to use them after sex so there is no reason why anyone who didn't want kids could sort some out.    

The current situation needs adjusted. It's set up now to basically thin out the poor and minorities. And that's just wrong.

RE: Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion - BmorePat87 - 05-22-2016

(05-22-2016, 10:43 AM)bfine32 Wrote: And Rights is what it all comes down to. If the majority of Oklahomans feel that destroying a healthy fetus is not a right; then the minority cannot over-rule by saying Yes it is. 

If SCOTUS repealed Roe v. Wade tomorrow, no one's rights would be taken away; however, a healthy fetus would now have the right to live. 

I guess it's fortunate for the minority that this right has been protected for the last 43 years.

RE: Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion - Griever - 05-23-2016

(05-22-2016, 07:39 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: We should have a straight up vote state by state as let them all do as they wish.   Get rid of the fed control over the issue.  

Really with the morning after pill there is no need for legal abortions anyway.    I believe you get 72 hours to use them after sex so there is no reason why anyone who didn't want kids could sort some out.    

The current situation needs adjusted.   It's set up now to basically thin out the poor and minorities.   And that's just wrong.

what is it with conservatives wanting to take peoples rights away?

RE: Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion - Griever - 05-23-2016

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/05/20/478899005/oklahoma-governor-vetoes-bill-that-would-make-performing-abortion-a-felony

RE: Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion - BigPapaKain - 05-23-2016

(05-23-2016, 11:03 AM)Griever Wrote: what is it with conservatives wanting to take peoples rights away?

Because the rights of a batch of cells (or even a person in a vegetative state) that has zero cognitive thought is more important than the health and financial well being (in the case of vegetables) of those of us who have things to worry about.

(05-23-2016, 11:49 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Because the rights of a batch of cells (or even a person in a vegetative state) that has zero cognitive thought is more important than the health and financial well being (in the case of vegetables) of those of us who have things to worry about.

i forget they see a batch of cells as an actual human, instead of a parasite living off its host for 9 months

RE: Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion - BigPapaKain - 05-23-2016

(05-23-2016, 12:07 PM)Griever Wrote: i forget they see a batch of cells as an actual human, instead of a parasite living off its host for 9 months

Look I'm all for fetus rights, but until it develops a brain it's not sentient and thus your parasite comparison is pretty much dead on.

They're like viruses at that point - simply growing and spreading because that's what the DNA tells them to do.

RE: Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion - GMDino - 05-23-2016

(05-22-2016, 10:43 AM)bfine32 Wrote: And Rights is what it all comes down to. If the majority of Oklahomans feel that destroying a healthy fetus is not a right; then the minority cannot over-rule by saying Yes it is. 

Bang Head

RE: Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion - Griever - 05-24-2016

(05-23-2016, 09:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: Bang Head

just ignore him, he's too far gone

RE: Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion - BmorePat87 - 05-24-2016

(05-23-2016, 09:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: Bang Head

I believe what he means is "if Roe v Wade were overturned, this law would not be taking anyone's rights away as those rights would no longer exist".