Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Christian Nutjob Ben Carson says Science is Satanic - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Christian Nutjob Ben Carson says Science is Satanic (/Thread-Christian-Nutjob-Ben-Carson-says-Science-is-Satanic)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Christian Nutjob Ben Carson says Science is Satanic - GodHatesBengals - 09-26-2015

(09-26-2015, 04:59 PM)Naranja Tigre Wrote: As an atheist you have no basis to disagree.

Sure I do. I have every right in the world to tell somebody evolution is not the best reason to leave the Christian faith.

RE: Christian Nutjob Ben Carson says Science is Satanic - Naranja Tigre - 09-26-2015

(09-26-2015, 05:23 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: No. He is disagreeing with how you say religious people interpret evolution.

Well I guess he knows my friends and family better than I do.

RE: Christian Nutjob Ben Carson says Science is Satanic - Naranja Tigre - 09-26-2015

(09-26-2015, 05:30 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Sure I do. I have every right in the world to tell somebody evolution is not the best reason to leave the Christian faith.
I'm sure you have a long list but that wasn't the part of your statement I was referring to.

I was saying that as an atheist, who doesn't believe in god, you have no basis to say what believers should think about evolution.

RE: Christian Nutjob Ben Carson says Science is Satanic - GodHatesBengals - 09-26-2015

(09-26-2015, 05:37 PM)Naranja Tigre Wrote: I'm sure you have a long list but that wasn't the part of your statement I was referring to.

I was saying that as an atheist, who doesn't believe in god, you have no basis to say what believers should think about evolution.

Good thing I didn't say what believers should think about evolution, then. All I did was correct your inaccurate statement that evolution "replaces god" for the faithful, since as a matter of fact, the theory of evolution addresses the diversity of species, not the existence of god/s. Notice that in fact you were the only one trying to speak for believers, while all I did was point out your misunderstanding about evolution.

Try reading sentences more carefully to avoid embarrassing mistakes such as this in the future, lest you become another bfine32.

(09-26-2015, 06:46 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Good thing I didn't say what believers should think about evolution, then. All I did was correct your inaccurate statement that evolution "replaces god" for the faithful, since as a matter of fact, the theory of evolution addresses the diversity of species, not the existence of god/s. Notice that in fact you were the only one trying to speak for believers, while all I did was point out your misunderstanding about evolution.

Try reading sentences more carefully to avoid embarrassing mistakes such as this in the future, lest you become another bfine32.

You actually did say what believers should think about evolution, and I have a sneaking suspicion that you enjoy telling people what they should think. It's ironic that atheists and evangelicals have that in common.

Saying that evolution doesn't address the existence of god is like saying Columbus didn't address the shape of the Earth.

That being said I want to find a happy marriage of both, with less snarky attitudes all around.

(09-26-2015, 07:10 PM)Naranja Tigre Wrote: You actually did say what believers should think about evolution, and I have a sneaking suspicion that you enjoy telling people what they should think.

I suspect the same of you, since your first contribution to the conversation was to inform us that evolution "replaces god" for believers. You might want to tell that to the many self-identified Christians around the world who accept the theory of evolution; somehow I doubt that they feel evolution has "replaced" their god.

RE: Christian Nutjob Ben Carson says Science is Satanic - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 09-26-2015

(09-26-2015, 05:18 PM)Naranja Tigre Wrote: I don't know why you would think that, we were talking about evolution.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about the other theory Carson believes is a fairy tale. Each of the theories you listed is based individually upon evidence to confirm or deny a hypothesis. It isn't about comparing gravity to evolution.

Evolution is about natural selection. How natural selection produces change in the genotype and phenotype over time.

If you want to claim evolution isn't a solid theory you should critic the evidence which supports the theory, not list other unrelated theories.

(09-26-2015, 07:51 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Sorry, I thought we were talking about the other theory Carson believes is a fairy tale. Each of the theories you listed is based individually upon evidence to confirm or deny a hypothesis. It isn't about comparing gravity to evolution.

Evolution is about natural selection. How natural selection produces change in the genotype and phenotype over time.

If you want to claim evolution isn't a solid theory you should critic the evidence which supports the theory, not list other unrelated theories.

As I said, compared to other well established theories, evolution has a long way to go. It certainly makes a lot of sense to me but I wouldn't jump the gun and call it "One of the most solid theories in all of science".

(09-26-2015, 07:48 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: I suspect the same of you, since your first contribution to the conversation was to inform us that evolution "replaces god" for believers. You might want to tell that to the many self-identified Christians around the world who accept the theory of evolution; somehow I doubt that they feel evolution has "replaced" their god.

As I said, I'm one of those people who accept it. But there are many, many others who do not, because it replaces that part of the bible that's so important, they wrote it first. Like I said, that's why you get a lot of push back on it.

RE: Christian Nutjob Ben Carson says Science is Satanic - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 09-26-2015

(09-26-2015, 05:23 PM)Naranja Tigre Wrote: What do you mean?

Does Genesis teach evolution?  No. Especially to those who believe in an inerrant interpretation.  They believe God created everything it its present form and nothing changed during the past 6,000 years or so.  To others who don't believe in an inerrant interpretation, the story of Genesis and evolution can coexist.

The Big Bang theory deals with the formation of the universe. Evolution deals with natural selection. Many religious people believe in both of those theories without either replacing God because they believe in a God who is capable of such things.  But, if either of those two theories were to replace God it would be the cosmological theory.

It has been my experience, whether a person accepts or rejects theses scientific theories is based upon how literally they interpret the Bible.

(09-26-2015, 05:32 PM)Naranja Tigre Wrote: Well I guess he knows my friends and family better than I do.

The world is much larger and filled with more people than your friends and family with many different opinions.

How old are you?  Because you seem young.

(09-26-2015, 05:37 PM)Naranja Tigre Wrote: I'm sure you have a long list but that wasn't the part of your statement I was referring to.

That's silly.

Conversely, using your logic he could say a Christian who rejects evolution has no basis to say what an atheist thinks about evolution.

Furthermore, anyone who doesn't believe in something has no basis to say what others think about that something.

Example:  I believe in a reptilian NWO. If you don't you have no basis to comment on what I believe.

Understand?

(09-26-2015, 07:10 PM)Naranja Tigre Wrote: You actually did say what believers should think about evolution, and I have a sneaking suspicion that you enjoy telling people what they should think. It's ironic that atheists and evangelicals have that in common.

Saying that evolution doesn't address the existence of god is like saying Columbus didn't address the shape of the Earth.

That being said I want to find a happy marriage of both, with less snarky attitudes all around.

Evolution doesn't address the existence of God.

Just like Columbus didn't address the shape of the Earth.

(09-26-2015, 07:56 PM)Naranja Tigre Wrote: As I said, compared to other well established theories, evolution has a long way to go. It certainly makes a lot of sense to me but I wouldn't jump the gun and call it "One of the most solid theories in all of science".

You still haven't addressed the theory itself. Just compared to this smoke and mirror blah, blah, blah . . .

(09-26-2015, 07:59 PM)Naranja Tigre Wrote: As I said, I'm one of those people who accept it. But there are many, many others who do not, because it replaces that part of the bible that's so important, they wrote it first. Like I said, that's why you get a lot of push back on it.

Okay, explain how evolution replaces how God created light, created the earth, created the oceans and the land, separated the day and night, created all the celestial bodies in the sky, created time itself?

How does evolution replace any of that? It doesn't.

(09-26-2015, 07:59 PM)Naranja Tigre Wrote: As I said, I'm one of those people who accept it. But there are many, many others who do not, because it replaces that part of the bible that's so important, they wrote it first. Like I said, that's why you get a lot of push back on it.

Actually there's good reason to believe "they" didn't write it first, but ignoring that, what you just posted doesn't refute a word of the post you responded to.

RE: Christian Nutjob Ben Carson says Science is Satanic - GMDino - 09-26-2015

(09-26-2015, 08:26 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Okay, explain how evolution replaces how God created light, created the earth, created the oceans and the land, separated the day and night, created all the celestial bodies in the sky, created time itself?

How does evolution replace any of that?  It doesn't.

Evolution is not about how the universe was created.

That's what the big bang theory attempts to do.

Two different arguments.

RE: Christian Nutjob Ben Carson says Science is Satanic - Beaker - 09-26-2015

(09-26-2015, 07:56 PM)Naranja Tigre Wrote: As I said, compared to other well established theories, evolution has a long way to go. It certainly makes a lot of sense to me but I wouldn't jump the gun and call it "One of the most solid theories in all of science".

I would. In the 150+ years since Darwin published, there has been extensive evidence uncovered in new fields that support evolution. There has been zero new evidence found that goes against it. Think about that. Think about how much the world has changed since the 1860's, how much technology has changed, all the new discoveries made, how science has grown and changed by leaps and bounds....and they still keep finding new things that support evolution. Evolutionary theory has withstood not only the test of time, but also the test of technological and scientific advancement. Most medical fileds today are strongly based on the tenets of evolutionary theory. Simply put, evolution is a fact...species change over time. There is no disputing that anymore. Evolution is one of the most thoroughly studied, and well tested of all scientific theories. So his assertion that it is one of the most solid theories in science is spot on.

RE: Christian Nutjob Ben Carson says Science is Satanic - bfine32 - 09-27-2015

Big Bang and Evolution can be explained in the 1st chapter of the bible:

Genesis 1:1-5 Describes the creation of the Universe (Day 1)

Genesis 1:6-8 Describes the creation of a water cover Earth and its atmosphere (Day 2)

Genesis 1:9-13 Describes the creation of dry ground and vegetation (Day 3)

Genesis 1:14-19 Describes the creation of the Solar System (Day 4)

Genesis 1:20-23 Describes the creation of Sea creatures and birds. (Day 5)

Genesis 1:24-31 Describes the creation of land mammals and man (Day 6)

The non-believer can nitpick, but anyone with an open mind can see this is pretty much what BBT and evolution has spent so much time trying to explain.

The only question is: Were those "six days" 144 hours.

RE: Christian Nutjob Ben Carson says Science is Satanic - GodHatesBengals - 09-27-2015

(09-27-2015, 12:44 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Big Bang and Evolution can be explained in the 1st chapter of the bible:

Genesis 1:1-5 Describes the creation of the Universe (Day 1)

Genesis 1:6-8 Describes the creation of a water cover Earth and its atmosphere (Day 2)

Genesis 1:9-13 Describes the creation of dry ground and vegetation (Day 3)

Genesis 1:14-19 Describes the creation of the Solar System (Day 4)

Genesis 1:20-23 Describes the creation of Sea creatures and birds. (Day 5)

Genesis 1:24-31 Describes the creation of land mammals and man (Day 6)

The non-believer can nitpick, but anyone with an open mind can see this is pretty much what BBT and evolution has spent so much time trying to explain.

The only question is: Were those "six days" 144 hours.

Yes, we are all aware of what Genesis says. The question is whether that portion is meant to be taken literally or not. Various Christians, even before Darwin was born, have argued that it is not.