Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
It's insanity! The war on Christianity...... - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: It's insanity! The war on Christianity...... (/Thread-It-s-insanity-The-war-on-Christianity)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: It's insanity! The war on Christianity...... - StLucieBengal - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 12:29 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Your views on same sex marriage alone.

My views that we shouldn't have gov involved in Marriage? I am ok with same sex marriage . I just don't think anyone should be forced to participate. Show me where I have ever said there should be no SSM. I have always brought it back to no gov marriage.

Love this song. Actually was playing a little bit ago from my assistants desk. Made me smile since we are discussing this here.

RE: It's insanity! The war on Christianity...... - PhilHos - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 11:27 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Well, then;  both the incidence and the precedence prevelence of persecution amoung overweight kids, kids with glasses, and kids with braces are all increased compared to Christian kids.  I would ventrure to say kids of other faiths are persecuted more than Christian kids.

Probably so, but that doesn't change the fact that it happens and by the literal definition of the word is considered persecution.

oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote:Who are these Christian kids being persecuted by?  Gangs of athiest kids roaming the hallway?  Muslim kids?  Sikhs?

Does it matter? Are you trying to imply that persecution (even as tiny as what most American Christians face) is justifiable depending on who is doing the persecution?

(10-13-2015, 01:05 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Probably so, but that doesn't change the fact that it happens and by the literal definition of the word is considered persecution.

Does it matter? Are you trying to imply that persecution (even as tiny as what most American Christians face) is justifiable depending on who is doing the persecution?

They can't admit it happens. Persecution is wrong in every other sense but when it comes to Christians...... They just say It's their own fault.

RE: It's insanity! The war on Christianity...... - GodHatesBengals - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 01:05 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Probably so, but that doesn't change the fact that it happens and by the literal definition of the word is considered persecution.

Look, if you want to call schoolyard taunts and bullying "persecution", then fine.

That means every kid in America has been persecuted; for being a Christian, for being Muslim, for being atheist, for being fat, for being ugly, for being stupid, for being shy, for being pimply, for being annoying, for being smelly, for being gay, for being weird..... etc. etc. etc. until the end of time.

RE: It's insanity! The war on Christianity...... - PhilHos - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 05:46 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Look, if you want to call schoolyard taunts and bullying "persecution", then fine.

That means every kid in America has been persecuted; for being a Christian, for being Muslim, for being atheist, for being fat, for being ugly, for being stupid, for being shy, for being pimply, for being annoying, for being smelly, for being gay, for being weird..... etc. etc. etc. until the end of time.

Like I said, I wouldn't call it persecution either, but by the literal definition of the word it is. As is all your other examples.

RE: It's insanity! The war on Christianity...... - fredtoast - 10-14-2015

(10-12-2015, 09:57 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Kids in schools who are picked on and bullied for being Christian. 

Considering that an overwhelming majority of students are Christians I don't see how this could be a very big problem.  It is pretty rare for the majority to be persecuted by the minority.

Here where I live the non-Christian students are the ones who are victims of persecution at the hands of the Christians.

RE: It's insanity! The war on Christianity...... - Belsnickel - 10-14-2015

(10-14-2015, 11:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Considering that an overwhelming majority of students are Christians I don't see how this could be a very big problem.  It is pretty rare for the majority to be persecuted by the minority.

Here where I live the non-Christian students are the ones who are victims of persecution at the hands of the Christians.

It depends on the area you are in. In the rural areas around where I live, I wouldn't see it happening. In the school I went to which is more urban, it absolutely happened. Students that wore their faith in the open were rare. Most would identify as Christian, but a minority would do so in an open manner. And if those that did hung out with kids that were assholes (like I was in my youth) then they could end up being bullied because of their faith.

RE: It's insanity! The war on Christianity...... - fredtoast - 10-14-2015

(10-13-2015, 01:38 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2015/05/persecution_of_christians_in_america_its_not_just_over_there.html

I read that entire article and there was not one single example of persecution  of Christians in the United States.  basically it says that when people disagree with Christians that equals "persecution".

RE: It's insanity! The war on Christianity...... - djs7685 - 10-14-2015

(10-13-2015, 03:31 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They can't admit it happens.   Persecution is wrong in every other sense but when it comes to Christians......  They just say It's their own fault.

By "they", you mean just the one guy that's arguing with Philhos? :snark:

RE: It's insanity! The war on Christianity...... - PhilHos - 10-14-2015

(10-14-2015, 11:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Considering that an overwhelming majority of students are Christians I don't see how this could be a very big problem.  It is pretty rare for the majority to be persecuted by the minority.

Well, it happened to me when I was a kid (I lived in a high Jewish area during my high school years) and it happened to my oldest daughter as well (in KY no less) so it does happen.

Please note: I never said it happens frequently or that it's happening at an alarming rate; just that it happens.

(10-14-2015, 11:52 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: It depends on the area you are in. In the rural areas around where I live, I wouldn't see it happening. In the school I went to which is more urban, it absolutely happened. Students that wore their faith in the open were rare. Most would identify as Christian, but a minority would do so in an open manner. And if those that did hung out with kids that were assholes (like I was in my youth) then they could end up being bullied because of their faith.

(10-14-2015, 11:54 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Well, it happened to me when I was a kid (I lived in a high Jewish area during my high school years) and it happened to my oldest daughter as well (in KY no less) so it does happen.

Yep, it's all dependent on where you live. I was shamed for not being a Christian by my high school English teacher in front of my entire class as a senior. It was quite ridiculous. I've been a big fan of black and death metal for a lot of my life, and their band shirts often have anti-religious graphics, quotes, and whatnot. I was just really into the bands, it's not like I was running through the halls lighting Christians on fire and chucking bibles through the windows.

While I understand the technical definition of "persecution", I, much like you, wouldn't call it that because that just makes it seem so much worse than it was in reality. In a discussion like this one though, shouldn't we ignore the semantics and actually argue over the premise of the "understood" meaning when somebody is talking about religious persecution?

(10-14-2015, 12:03 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Yep, it's all dependent on where you live. I was shamed for not being a Christian by my high school English teacher in front of my entire class as a senior. It was quite ridiculous. I've been a big fan of black and death metal for a lot of my life, and their band shirts often have anti-religious graphics, quotes, and whatnot. I was just really into the bands, it's not like I was running through the halls lighting Christians on fire and chucking bibles through the windows.

While I understand the technical definition of "persecution", I, much like you, wouldn't call it that because that just makes it seem so much worse than it was in reality. In a discussion like this one though, shouldn't we ignore the semantics and actually argue over the premise of the "understood" meaning when somebody is talking about religious persecution?

I was just giving my thoughts, as a Christian, on the topic. And those were my thoughts.

(10-14-2015, 12:05 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I was just giving my thoughts, as a Christian, on the topic. And those were my thoughts.

So you do think Christians are being persecuted, but it's to the extent of occasionally getting picked on in high school? Or is it further than that in your eyes?

(10-14-2015, 12:16 PM)djs7685 Wrote: So you do think Christians are being persecuted, but it's to the extent of occasionally getting picked on in high school? Or is it further than that in your eyes?

I think that most of the time, American Christians are persecuted akin to getting picked on in high school. I do think, though, that there ARE times when it does go further than that, but those times are extremely rare.

Christians ARE being persecuted far worse in other countries, though.

RE: It's insanity! The war on Christianity...... - WhoDeyWho - 10-14-2015

Isn't "persecution" supposed to come with being a Christian? Wasn't their savior crucified?

Don't they actually celebrate his death?

(10-14-2015, 12:35 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Isn't "persecution" supposed to come with being a Christian? Wasn't their savior crucified?

I can't speak for all of Christendom, but I believe it's more about celebrating his resurrection.

(10-14-2015, 12:35 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Isn't "persecution" supposed to come with being a Christian?  Wasn't their savior crucified?  

Yes, persecution is to be expected as a Christian, but that doesn't mean it will always occur. Jesus said, "Blessed are those who are persecuted for my sake..." 

My point is that compared to what most of us think of as persecution, American Christians are FAR from being "persecuted".

(Yes to your other 2 questions, BTW)

(10-14-2015, 12:41 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I can't speak for all of Christendom, but I believe it's more about celebrating his resurrection.

Well, his death had to occur in order for our sins to be forgiven. It's not like Christians are happy he was killed, but rather we "celebrate" his death for what it means for us.

(10-14-2015, 12:43 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Well, his death had to occur in order for our sins to be forgiven. It's not like Christians are happy he was killed, but rather we "celebrate" his death for what it means for us.

See, I'm new to this whole "celebration" thing in religion. The churches I grew up in, there was nothing that really ever felt like celebration. I've not hit any big liturgical holidays with this new church, though, so we shall see.