Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about (/Thread-What-Vegas-and-the-National-Media-is-not-talking-about)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - PhilHos - 08-25-2022

(08-25-2022, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Den......W
Bal.......W
KC.......W
Cle.......L
LV........W
Ten......W
KC.......W
LA........L

What am I missing here?  Which one of those 6 wins does not count?

Ok, I see what the issue is. I thought you guys were talking about the end of the REGULAR season. I see that you guys have been couting the playoff record in that. We ended the regular season 5-3 (5-2 not counting the Cleveland game). But, yes, if you count the playoffs, then we ended the season at 6-2 (not counting the Cleveland game).

I'm not used to having to worry about counting playoff games.

Carry on. 

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - fredtoast - 08-25-2022

(08-25-2022, 03:08 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Ok, I see what the issue is. I thought you guys were talking about the end of the REGULAR season.

Most people consider playoff games as part of the team's "season".  As in "Our season is over if we don't win this playoff game" or "Our season ended with us in the Super Bowl".

(08-25-2022, 03:08 PM)PhilHos Wrote: But, yes, if you count the playoffs, then we ended the season at 6-2 (not counting the Cleveland game).

6-2 counting the Cleveland game.

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - rfaulk34 - 08-25-2022

(08-25-2022, 02:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If there is no luck involved then we will be seeing them do it all the time this year, right?

All I said was that I look forward to seeing that this year.  Don't you?

If you call heads, flip a coin 50 times and it comes up heads 20, is that luck?

No. It's the rule of large numbers. It's chance. Luck has nothing to do with it. 

If two professional athletes throw a pass against another professional athlete, sometimes they're going to win and sometimes they're going to lose. There are a lot of factors that will determine the outcome but luck isn't one of them. 

Luck is a made up construct. 

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - PhilHos - 08-25-2022

(08-25-2022, 05:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 6-2 counting the Cleveland game.

[Image: R.f9bb7d3e88ef205a8d41ae7aecd518c9?rik=R...ImgRaw&r=0][img]https://static.simpsonswiki.com/images/thumb/c/c3/D'oh.jpg/200px-D'oh.jpg[/img]

(08-25-2022, 02:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If there is no luck involved then we will be seeing them do it all the time this year, right?

All I said was that I look forward to seeing that this year.  Don't you?

Well, it's good to know you don't think our team with one of the greatest young QBs in the league is skillful enough to convert a 3rd and 27. Rolleyes

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - bengalfan74 - 08-25-2022

(08-25-2022, 01:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: This entire "debate" is really, really, really dumb.

yep

I wonder if we still had the old HC if this narrative would be the same ?

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - bengalfan74 - 08-25-2022

(08-25-2022, 06:42 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Well, it's good to know you don't think our team with one of the greatest young QBs in the league is skillful enough to convert a 3rd and 27. Rolleyes

I have to wonder when it becomes a fluke ?

Is a 3rd and 12 a fluke ? 3rd and 18 ? anything over 22 ? What about 4th down ? Does the flukeiness go up ? I mean the top athletes in the world still have to abide by the fluke handbook, I guess ?

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-25-2022

(08-25-2022, 06:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: yep

I wonder if we still had the old HC if this narrative would be the same ?

Of course not. Fred was a constant Marv defense liar...

Wink

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-25-2022

(08-25-2022, 06:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I have to wonder when it becomes a fluke ?

Is a 3rd and 12 a fluke ? 3rd and 18 ? anything over 22 ? What about 4th down ? Does the flukeiness go up ? I mean the top athletes in the world still have to abide by the fluke handbook, I guess ?

Yes, such a fluke Burrow and Chase and our Defense doing the same thing to the Chiefs Defense and Mahomes 2 times in a row...

Kind of sounds more like something else, like executing the gameplan to perfection on the one team most had dialed in for the SB...

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - sandwedge - 08-26-2022

(08-25-2022, 06:42 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Well, it's good to know you don't think our team with one of the greatest young QBs in the league is skillful enough to convert a 3rd and 27. Rolleyes

That is one of my favorites plays of last season!

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - fredtoast - 08-26-2022

(08-25-2022, 08:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Kind of sounds more like something else, like executing the gameplan to perfection on the one team most had dialed in for the SB...

So our game plan was to get our asses absolutely handed to us for an entire half?

Then once we finally get a lead in the 4th quarter the plan was to let our defense choke it away so that our offense would have to come back and win on the final play of the game? 

I guess it was a brilliant plan.  I just hope we are able to "execute it with perfection" every time.  Most NFL coaches have game plans that give them a little more margin for error?

I guess that is what happened in the Super Bowl.  Zac's brilliant plan to play poorly every game so that we could come from behind and win on the last play must have hit a little snag.

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - BillsGuy1986 - 08-26-2022

My Take:
Bengals, Bills, Chiefs (perhaps by reputation than anything else. Should take a step back), Chargers, maybe Ravens > Everyone else.

Its a shame an NFC team has to be in the superbowl. Of course all of this will change with injuries and actual games being played.

In the argument earlier in this thread between Bengals vs. Bills 2021 season, the Bills lost all of their close games last year and won all of their close games in 2020, so luck flipped the other way (pun intended). I didn't follow the Bengals closely enough but I was impressed by what I saw and the debate of who is better will have to wait until 2023, Sadly.

As long as there isn't a rolling snowstorm on 01/02/23, i'd like to go to that game. Cheers.

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - PhilHos - 08-26-2022

(08-25-2022, 06:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I have to wonder when it becomes a fluke ?

It'd be a fluke if a defender slips on the turf making a WR wide open 2 defenders crashed into each other making a WR wide open or the ball is tipped into the hands of a receiver who is able to pick up the conversion because of the tip. Things like that would make the play a fluke.

Things like throwing a deep pass in an attempt to pick up a 3rd and 27 are not. Hell, even throwing a screen pass that sees the receiver juking and spinning his way to a first down on 3rd and 27 is NOT a fluke.

Just because a conversion is unlikely to happen does not make the play a fluke. 

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-26-2022

(08-26-2022, 10:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So our game plan was to get our asses absolutely handed to us for an entire half?

I am going to do what you do and just take a little sentence out of your post and quote it... Hilarious

Of course not, but it isn't in reality to expect to just stop Mahomes for an entire game either. It is how you finish and this 
team finished and Mahomes and the Chiefs did not, bottom line. Plus I don't think we will ever see the Chiefs as stacked as
we did in January. They lost Tyreek and other players and the only way to get back to as talented of a team is to Draft like 
perfect and get every diamond in the rough there is for years. Not going to happen.

Plus the AFC West is stacked. I could even see them finishing 3rd in the Division behind the Chargers and Raiders.

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-26-2022

(08-26-2022, 10:56 AM)BillsGuy1986 Wrote: My Take:
Bengals, Bills, Chiefs (perhaps by reputation than anything else. Should take a step back), Chargers, maybe Ravens > Everyone else.

Its a shame an NFC team has to be in the superbowl. Of course all of this will change with injuries and actual games being played.

In the argument earlier in this thread between Bengals vs. Bills 2021 season, the Bills lost all of their close games last year and won all of their close games in 2020, so luck flipped the other way (pun intended). I didn't follow the Bengals closely enough but I was impressed by what I saw and the debate of who is better will have to wait until 2023, Sadly.

As long as there isn't a rolling snowstorm on 01/02/23, i'd like to go to that game. Cheers.

That game is the one I anticipate the most this up coming season no doubt. The Burrow vs Brady game and the Bills game as I 
don't know if we can beat your guys yet. You guys are probably the best all around team in the NFL when you are on your game.

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - bfine32 - 08-26-2022

(08-26-2022, 10:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So our game plan was to get our asses absolutely handed to us for an entire half?

Then once we finally get a lead in the 4th quarter the plan was to let our defense choke it away so that our offense would have to come back and win on the final play of the game? 

I guess it was a brilliant plan.  I just hope we are able to "execute it with perfection" every time.  Most NFL coaches have game plans that give them a little more margin for error?

Do you think it was Andy Reid's plan to lose? A simple yes or no will suffice.

It's called football; just because it doesn't always go the way you scripted doesn't mean it was a fluke. 

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - bfine32 - 08-26-2022

I'd like to take this opportunity to post this Public Service Announcement:
https://www.howtogeek.com/465416/what-is-an-internet-troll-and-how-to-handle-trolls/
Quote:It can sometimes become difficult to tell the difference between a troll and someone who just genuinely wants to argue about a topic. However, here are a few tell-tale signs that someone is actively trolling.

Off-topic remarks:
Refusal to acknowledge evidence:
Dismissive, condescending tone:
Use of unrelated images or memes:
Seeming obliviousness:

If such a poster is encountered a rational poster should:
Quote:“Don’t feed the trolls.” Trolls seek out emotional responses and find provocation amusing, so replying to them or attempting to debate them will only make them troll more. By ignoring a troll completely, they will likely become frustrated and go somewhere else on the internet.

You should try your best not to take anything trolls say seriously. No matter how poorly they behave, remember these people spend countless unproductive hours trying to make people mad. They’re not worth your time of day.

If a troll becomes spammy or begins to clog up a thread, you can also opt to report them to the site’s moderation team. Depending on the website, there’s a chance nothing happens, but you should do your part to actively dissuade them from trolling on that platform. If your report is successful, the troll may be temporarily suspended or their account might be banned entirely.

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - fredtoast - 08-26-2022

(08-25-2022, 06:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If you call heads, flip a coin 50 times and it comes up heads 20, is that luck?

No. It's the rule of large numbers. It's chance. Luck has nothing to do with it. 

If two professional athletes throw a pass against another professional athlete, sometimes they're going to win and sometimes they're going to lose. There are a lot of factors that will determine the outcome but luck isn't one of them. 

Luck is a made up construct. 

In 2021 Joe Burrow was the first QB to convert on a 3rd and 25+ since 2017.  137 pass attempts by the greatest QBs in the game over the last 4 years and only one first down conversion.

But, yeah, luck has nothing to do with it at all. Rolleyes

And since we have the same coaches and BETTER talent this year, I am looking forward to the Bengal taking advantage of that unusual ability to convert on 3rd-and-25+.

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - Bengalholic - 08-26-2022

(08-26-2022, 04:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In 2021 Joe Burrow was the first QB to convert on a 3rd and 25+ since 2017.  137 pass attempts by the greatest QBs in the game over the last 4 years and only one first down conversion.

But, yeah, luck has nothing to do with it at all. Rolleyes

And since we have the same coaches and BETTER talent this year, I am looking forward to the Bengal taking advantage of that unusual ability to convert on 3rd-and-25+.

You've had some extremely strange takes in this thread...especially considering you're always accusing other posters of 'creating' things to be negative about. You've spent this entire thread trying to discredit what the Bengals accomplished last year, with some of the worst arguments I've ever seen in Jungle Noise...which is saying something. 

RE: What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about - PhilHos - 08-26-2022

(08-26-2022, 04:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In 2021 Joe Burrow was the first QB to convert on a 3rd and 25+ since 2017.  137 pass attempts by the greatest QBs in the game over the last 4 years and only one first down conversion.

How many of those were legitimate attempts to pick up the first down vs little screen passes or dump offs?

(08-26-2022, 04:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But, yeah, luck has nothing to do with it at all. Rolleyes

Here's the play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0kWUZ6PLvQ

Please show us where the luck was because it sure looks to me like Burrow made a great throw and Chase made a great catch.

And since it looks, to most of us, like a great play from a QB to a WR and not the result of a busted play or broken coverage, I can only surmise by your continued attempts to label this play as "lucky" that you don't think Burrow is a good enough QB to make that throw and the Chase is not a good enough WR to make that catch. 

Related question for you: when Justin Tucker set the record for longest FG in NFL history, you considered that lucky correct? After all, it's never been done before in NFL history and as this post of yours indicates, if it's rarely been done, that makes it lucky.  Whatever