Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" (/Thread-Pollack-Comfortable-with-all-those-guys)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-06-2023

(03-06-2023, 12:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Here's what I'm expecting this year:
- Williams will be the starter at LT as long as he's healthy.
- Volson, Karras, and Cappa have IOL starter spots covered.
- Carman will be in the mix for RT starting duties while Collins is recovering.
- If another OT is added in the offseason, it will either be a draft pick who rides the bench for a year (or two) before taking over as a starter, or a cheaper vet who has swing tackle capability and can fill in at either spot if Williams or Carman/Collins isn't able to start.

Good post. But we also need IOL depth. Riddle me this, who is our #3 guard? 

RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - ochocincos - 03-06-2023

(03-06-2023, 02:14 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Good post. But we also need IOL depth. Riddle me this, who is our #3 guard? 

You must not have read my post right before you posted about my thoughts on IOL depth (#120).

RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - bfine32 - 03-06-2023

- If another OT is added in the offseason, it will either be a draft pick who rides the bench for a year (or two) before taking over as a starter, or a cheaper vet who has swing tackle capability and can fill in at either spot if Williams or Carman/Collins isn't able to start.

I'd hate the Bengals not thinking they need to upgrade our current Oline. 

Last year was kina like upgrading from a Chevy Spark to a Chevy Malibu. Some may be content to roll in the , but I have my eye on that CT5. 

RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-06-2023

(03-06-2023, 02:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd hate the Bengals not thinking they need to upgrade our current Oline. 

Last year was kina like upgrading from a Chevy Spark to a Chevy Malibu. Some may be content to roll in the , but I have my eye on that CT5. 

Get ready to be disappointed.  

Though I think RT is possible. Once we get beyond Rd1 there are no plug & play tackles available at 60. And probably not guards better than what we have after 60. Maybe coukd get a C Rd3-4, but I doubt we use a Day 2 pick on Karras' backup. 

Maybe some vet FA pickups for depth. Moderately priced.

RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - Soonerpeace - 03-06-2023

(03-06-2023, 02:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd hate the Bengals not thinking they need to upgrade our current Oline. 

I can’t go along with that. They got beat by KC at the gun with 3 OL starters out. When the OL was healthy the regular season game with KC they neutered them giving up zero zip nada sacks. Chris Jones had none. In the AFC title game they were missing 3 starters and it took an uncharacteristic punt return and personal foul where Ossai and Mahomes feet got tangled. The push wasn’t the culprit. This isn’t rationalizing it’s the facts. KC goes and wins the SB. Volson made the all rookie team and Collins didn’t play up to his expectations. Cappa got hurt but would have played in the SB. Jonah had injury issues.

They need to have some insurance at tackle. They need to swap picks with Detroit (18) and give up their second to damn sure get a good tackle.

(03-06-2023, 02:52 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I can’t go along with that. They got beat by KC at the gun with 3 OL starters out. When the OL was healthy the regular season game with KC they neutered them giving up zero zip nada sacks. Chris Jones had none. In the AFC title game they were missing 3 starters and it took an uncharacteristic punt return and personal foul where Ossai and Mahomes feet got tangled. The push wasn’t the culprit. This isn’t rationalizing it’s the facts. KC goes and wins the SB. Volson made the all rookie team and Collins didn’t play up to his expectations. Cappa got hurt but would have played in the SB. Jonah had injury issues.

They need to have some insurance at tackle. They need to swap picks with Detroit (18) and give up their second to damn sure get a good tackle.

My thoughts on Volson have been documented. He may have made A Rookie Team but he didn't make the NFL's/Pro Football Writers (that was Zion Johnson and Dylan Parham) or PFF's (they took Johnson and Smith from Dallas). Perhaps it was the Jungle Noise All Rookie Team. 

I'm also not comfortable going into our next Super Bowl run season with a huge? at both tackle spots

I agree we need depth I'd just prefer Volson be part of it.

RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - rfaulk34 - 03-06-2023

Sounds like some more, lesser-than-needed bullshit. 

This team hasn't done anything, regarding the Oline, that would give them the benefit of the doubt. They should have Carman and Jonah battling it out for LT with the loser the backup. That gives them a "decent" starter and a "decent" backup. Draft a guard in the mid rounds or sign a FA to push Volson. Sign a good RT or draft one with the #1 pick and i'm ok with allowing Collins to work his way back on the active roster for a backup spot unless the FA/draft pick falters then Collins has a shot to start. 

This peck peck peck bullshit that this team is doing with the Oline is borderline criminal. They keep putting bandaids on things when they just need to say 'i don't give a **** what your name is or how much you make, we're gonna find the best possible 5 guys to put out there on game day' to protect our elite, franchise QB and go for rings. 

RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - Synric - 03-06-2023

(03-06-2023, 03:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My thoughts on Volson have been documented. He may have made A Rookie Team but he didn't make the NFL's/Pro Football Writers (that was Zion Johnson and Dylan Parham) or PFF's (they took Johnson and Smith from Dallas). Perhaps it was the Jungle Noise All Rookie Team. 

I'm also not comfortable going into our next Super Bowl run season with a huge? at both tackle spots

I agree we need depth I'd just prefer Volson be part of it.

Emil Ekiyor Jr reminds me alot of Dylan Parham and Ekiyor played at Alabama so there isn't the level of competition concern like there was for Parham.

RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - KillerGoose - 03-06-2023

(03-06-2023, 02:52 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I can’t go along with that. They got beat by KC at the gun with 3 OL starters out. When the OL was healthy the regular season game with KC they neutered them giving up zero zip nada sacks. Chris Jones had none. In the AFC title game they were missing 3 starters and it took an uncharacteristic punt return and personal foul where Ossai and Mahomes feet got tangled. The push wasn’t the culprit. This isn’t rationalizing it’s the facts. KC goes and wins the SB. Volson made the all rookie team and Collins didn’t play up to his expectations. Cappa got hurt but would have played in the SB. Jonah had injury issues.

No, he didn't. This has been gone over already. He made one All-Rookie team from a rather unknown publisher. The official rookie teams, he did not make. 

RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - ochocincos - 03-06-2023

(03-06-2023, 03:39 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: No, he didn't. This has been gone over already. He made one All-Rookie team from a rather unknown publisher. The official rookie teams, he did not make. 

And when looking at the pressure numbers, Volson ranked tied for 6th worst among all eligible Guards at 38 pressures allowed in the regular season.
The big reason Volson was so high on total pressures is because he was tied for 4th worst among all eligible Guards with 11 QB Hits allowed.

So no, Volson was by no means "good" last year. He was ok for a 4th round rookie coming from FCS school, but he needs to continue to improve and develop to get into that above average tier among starters.

(03-06-2023, 03:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And when looking at the pressure numbers, Volson ranked tied for 6th worst among all eligible Guards at 38 pressures allowed in the regular season.
The big reason Volson was so high on total pressures is because he was tied for 4th worst among all eligible Guards with 11 QB Hits allowed.

So no, Volson was by no means "good" last year. He was ok for a 4th round rookie coming from FCS school, but he needs to continue to improve and develop to get into that above average tier among starters.

By numbers, he was literally the "average" for the 7 rookie guards who started at least 50% of max snaps last year. There were 3 guys better than him, drafted in rds 1,3 and 2 and there were 3 guys worse than him, drafted in rds 1,1 and 4. 

(03-06-2023, 03:34 PM)Synric Wrote: Emil Ekiyor Jr reminds me alot of Dylan Parham and Ekiyor played at Alabama so there isn't the level of competition concern like there was for Parham.

I was impressed with "Easy E" this past weekend. He wasn't even on my radar prior (not that it means anything) 

(03-06-2023, 04:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: By numbers, he was literally the "average" for the 7 rookie guards who started at least 50% of max snaps last year. There were 3 guys better than him, drafted in rds 1,3 and 2 and there were 3 guys worse than him, drafted in rds 1,1 and 4. 

Well just announced KC moving on from Orlando Brown. Let’s go get him and release about 6 starters so next year Jungle Noise can say OMG how stupid was it fixing the OL and gutting the team.

RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - SunsetBengal - 03-06-2023

(03-06-2023, 04:36 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well just announced KC moving on from Orlando Brown. Let’s go get him and release about 6 starters so next year Jungle Noise can say OMG how stupid was it fixing the OL and gutting the team.

Looking like they're going to let a few walk, without any wholesale improvements to the OL.  Mellow

(03-06-2023, 04:36 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well just announced KC moving on from Orlando Brown. Let’s go get him and release about 6 starters so next year Jungle Noise can say OMG how stupid was it fixing the OL and gutting the team.

This would be a good reply to someone that said such a thing. 

(03-06-2023, 04:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Looking like they're going to let a few walk, without any wholesale improvements to the OL.  Mellow

Lots of teams are learning they weren’t responsible right now. . I’m not trying to act like I’m Nostradamus or smarter than several on here. But teams are finding the grim reaper after being irresponsible. Joe wants to keep Tee and damn sure Chase. If he takes less and then we don’t make at least a valiant effort on Tee then he’s not going to be happy. We are going to have to get a first round bullseye at tackle and maybe a third round guard. We aren’t spending on a FA tackle. JMHO.

(03-06-2023, 05:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: This would be a good reply to someone that said such a thing. 

Maybe we can talk KC into trading Joe Thuney for All-Rookie guard Cordell Volson. 

(03-06-2023, 05:34 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Lots of teams are learning they weren’t responsible right now. . I’m not trying to act like I’m Nostradamus or smarter than several on here. But teams are finding the grim reaper after being irresponsible. Joe wants to keep Tee and damn sure Chase. If he takes less and then we don’t make at least a valiant effort on Tee then he’s not going to be happy. We are going to have to get a first round bullseye at tackle and maybe a third round guard. We aren’t spending on a FA tackle. JMHO.

That's a solid plan that i'd be 100% of board for. I've mentioned just such a thing before. 

(03-06-2023, 05:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Maybe we can talk KC into trading Joe Thuney for All-Rookie guard Cordell Volson. 

They're so wrapped up in the OBJ drama, it just might work...  Cool

RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - BengalsBong - 03-06-2023

(03-02-2023, 12:27 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Coming soon….. epic board meltdown when we sign no major OL FA and Mixon is the starting RB in ‘23

Only way I am happy keeping Mixon on this team is if Perine is the number 1 back and Mixon is paid like 3 or 4 million. I would not be pissed about that but still think it is time to move on and get a more explosive 3 down back that does not need to come off the field.

If we go with Perine starting for us would rather see Our 3rd and 4th stringers get a shot at the speed back role to Perine's power role.

A draft pick with young legs could be a spark for this team to get them rolling in the run game.

Carman is a much better run blocker than Williams as well. I know nobody wants him starting but got a feeling he will be next year at some point during the year.

The only way we are getting teams out of cover two is if we can run the ball and get more production out of TE and the slot WR attacking intermediate depths of the field. They will give us underneath short routes and 3 yards a carry all year long. The slot was pretty solid last year with Boyd but TE routes all seemed too short.