Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Grade The Draft - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Grade The Draft (/Thread-Grade-The-Draft)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Grade The Draft - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 05-07-2023

(05-04-2023, 02:53 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Charlie Jones running crisp routes is going to make us forget about the TE problems... that is until a few plays later when he gets trucked trying to block for Burrow. 
Hilarious

Last year Hurst was our 4th best receiver. 

This year, Smith will be 5th, or 6th if Iosivas develops quickly. That is not a knock on Smith vs Hurst, either. It just reflects the fact that we have 4 WRs who can actually get open instead of 3. And a 5th who, at minimun, has to be respected due to deep speed. 

I bet we see more 4 WR sets this year. 

RE: Grade The Draft - OSUfan - 05-07-2023

I find it hysterical that across the NFL the Bengals are being lauded for an excellent draft yet the majority of these boards are giving the draft a B and it is simply because the Bengals did not draft the players or positions that the individuals have determined were needed by the Bengals. Shows a real inability to look at the situation with perspective and to realize that the staff and ownership have a better grip on the needs of the team better than the fan does.

The Bengals pretty much went BPA across the board and added value selections in areas that needed depth and/or positions that could see player turnover in the next couple of seasons. Drafting as the Bengals did is how a team continues to weather free agency and cap restrictions to remain highly competitive year in and year out.

Bengals fans should start to embrace drafting at the bottom of each round moving forward and that is a very good thing.

RE: Grade The Draft - Soonerpeace - 05-07-2023

(05-07-2023, 01:36 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Last year Hurst was our 4th best receiver. 

This year, Smith will be 5th, or 6th if Iosivas develops quickly. That is not a knock on Smith vs Hurst, either. It just reflects the fact that we have 4 WRs who can actually get open instead of 3. And a 5th who, at minimun, has to be respected due to deep speed. 

If we can block 4 & 5 receiver sets oh my!!!!!!

(05-07-2023, 08:00 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I find it hysterical that across the NFL the Bengals are being lauded for an excellent draft yet the majority of these boards are giving the draft a B and it is simply because the Bengals did not draft the players or positions that the individuals have determined were needed by the Bengals. Shows a real inability to look at the situation with perspective and to realize that the staff and ownership have a better grip on the needs of the team better than the fan does.

The Bengals pretty much went BPA across the board and added value selections in areas that needed depth and/or positions that could see player turnover in the next couple of seasons. Drafting as the Bengals did is how a team continues to weather free agency and cap restrictions to remain highly competitive year in and year out.

Bengals fans should start to embrace drafting at the bottom of each round moving forward and that is a very good thing.

We suffered when Trey went down last year. We suffered when Awouzie went down. We suffered when Boyd went down in the AFC Championship. As you mentioned they are covering themselves if they get injuries at key positions as well as developing to save cap money down the road. So glad they aren’t masters of just the here and now.

RE: Grade The Draft - TecmoBengals - 05-07-2023

(05-07-2023, 01:36 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Last year Hurst was our 4th best receiver. 

Once they drafted a WR in the 4th round I speculated the same thing: more 4 WR sets.

RE: Grade The Draft - OSUfan - 05-07-2023

(05-07-2023, 09:01 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: We suffered when Trey went down last year. We suffered when Awouzie went down. We suffered when Boyd went down in the AFC Championship. As you mentioned they are covering themselves if they get injuries at key positions as well as developing to save cap money down the road. So glad they aren’t masters of just the here and now.

Well stated. Consider as well how different things could have been in several games toward the end of the season how nice it would have been to have had fresher legs off the edge that had high quality starting talent behind them. Aside from Ossai, who right now is a situational pass rusher, we did not have that sort of talent on the bench. Hubbard and Hendrickson both leave it all on the field every single down and it will be awesome having Murphy who can come in for either of them and there should not be a drop off in talent level.

I know someone mentioned that guys like Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap each played a higher percentage of downs than Hubbard and Hendrickson but I would argue the effort put in every down they were on the field and I am a fan of both Dunlap and Johnson. It is also a different league in that Dunlap and Johnson were not chasing down the athletic ability in QBs that is seen in the league now.

The value of the draft even extended beyond the 7th round and continued into the UDFAs that the Bengals were able to bring in:

Devonnsha Maxwell - he was a collegiate stat machine and with the coaching of Marion Hobby could be the inside presence the Bengals have missed since Geno.

Jaxson Kirkland - not too long ago he was discussed as a mid round draft selection. Can play either guard position or RT.

Shaka Heyward - he went to Duke so he is not a dummy. Has the size and length that the Bengals do not have a lot of in their LB depth and the athleticism to go with it.

Both of the backs they brought in were very productive collegiate runners. 

It is very refreshing to see the changes within this organization and to see them setting themselves up for long-term success from top to bottom.

RE: Grade The Draft - Synric - 05-07-2023

(05-07-2023, 08:00 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I find it hysterical that across the NFL the Bengals are being lauded for an excellent draft yet the majority of these boards are giving the draft a B and it is simply because the Bengals did not draft the players or positions that the individuals have determined were needed by the Bengals. Shows a real inability to look at the situation with perspective and to realize that the staff and ownership have a better grip on the needs of the team better than the fan does.

I grade on a curve. I thought the draft class as a whole was a B- which means you either climb or fall from there. The Draft class was lacking in two of six premium positions (WR, OT) only one of the premium positions had a player that could be considered "Blue Chip". The LB class you could have almost considered and endangered species. Add in all the 6 year seniors and the fact a large part of the skill positions were 10lbs away from being underweight and you have a B- draft class.

The Bengals earned above the average B+ by staying with the strength of the draft class defensive line and defensive back early and had what I considered a couple of steals Myles Murphy and Chase Brown.

(05-07-2023, 11:26 AM)Synric Wrote: I grade on a curve. I thought the draft class as a whole was a B- which means you either climb or fall from there. The Draft class was lacking in two of six premium positions (WR, OT) only one of the premium positions had a player that could be considered "Blue Chip". The LB class you could have almost considered and endangered species. Add in all the 6 year seniors and the fact a large part of the skill positions were 10lbs away from being underweight and you have a B- draft class.

The Bengals earned above the average B+ by staying with the strength of the draft class defensive line and defensive back early and had what I considered a couple of steals Myles Murphy and Chase Brown.

As has been mentioned we’ve got a lot of money invested in tackles. We’ve got 4 total not counting Ford. It was a waste of a roster spot. I’m kinda interested in Ben Brown and others. Quietly I think the OL group top to bottom is much improved. If that’s the case the whole roster sure looks fortified.

RE: Grade The Draft - Synric - 05-07-2023

(05-07-2023, 12:06 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: As has been mentioned we’ve got a lot of money invested in tackles. We’ve got 4 total not counting Ford. It was a waste of a roster spot. I’m kinda interested in Ben Brown and others. Quietly I think the OL group top to bottom is much improved. If that’s the case the whole roster sure looks fortified.

I mean the prospect class was a B- and the Bengals earned a B+ with their draft class. 

(05-07-2023, 12:43 PM)Synric Wrote: I mean the prospect class was a B- and the Bengals earned a B+ with their draft class. 

Oh thanks for getting me straight. I was still groggy from the sermon from Church lol

RE: Grade The Draft - Bengalbug - 05-07-2023

(05-07-2023, 12:43 PM)Synric Wrote: I mean the prospect class was a B- and the Bengals earned a B+ with their draft class. 

That makes sense. I think the bengals had a top 4 draft. Considering that they didn’t have multiple first round picks, and their position in the draft, makes it all the more impressive.

RE: Grade The Draft - Whatever - 05-07-2023

(05-07-2023, 11:26 AM)Synric Wrote: I grade on a curve. I thought the draft class as a whole was a B- which means you either climb or fall from there. The Draft class was lacking in two of six premium positions (WR, OT) only one of the premium positions had a player that could be considered "Blue Chip". The LB class you could have almost considered and endangered species. Add in all the 6 year seniors and the fact a large part of the skill positions were 10lbs away from being underweight and you have a B- draft class.

Honestly, I wouldn't even give this class a B minus.  Not a good QB class in my opinion.  The RB class was loaded with CoP/3rd down backs, but very thin on bell cow types.  DT was pretty thin.  Outside WR's were virtually non-existent.  IOL wasn't good.  S was weak at the top, but had depth.  

I liked Philly and Indy’s drafts.

RE: Grade The Draft - Nepa - 05-07-2023

There are many sites that graded the draft as in the B's for the Bengals, including USA Today and Fox Sports (B), NBC and Washington Post (B-), Sports Illustrated (B+), and you can even find C's and C-minus. Yes, the Bengals received many A's as well, including from respected analysts. But it hardly "hysterical" that the majority of Bengals fans on this site gave the draft a B. 

And, by the way, B is not a bad grade. It is saying the draft was above average and someone voting the draft a "B" is basically saying they were pleased with the draft. Because they didn't give the draft an A doesn't mean they "have an real inability to look at the situation with the perspective." If fans were just supposed to give an A to everything the Bengals staff and ownership does then that makes us robotic or zombie followers.

(05-07-2023, 07:56 PM)Nepa Wrote: There are many sites that graded the draft as in the B's for the Bengals, including USA Today and Fox Sports (B), NBC and Washington Post (B-), Sports Illustrated (B+), and you can even find C's and C-minus. Yes, the Bengals received many A's as well, including from respected analysts. But it hardly "hysterical" that the majority of Bengals fans on this site gave the draft a B. 

And, by the way, B is not a bad grade. It is saying the draft was above average and someone voting the draft a "B" is basically saying they were pleased with the draft. Because they didn't give the draft an A doesn't mean they "have an real inability to look at the situation with the perspective." If fans were just supposed to give an A to everything the Bengals staff and ownership does then that makes us robotic or zombie followers.

It’s practically impossible to have a realistic A draft picking at the bottom as SF found out. There’s also some degree of luck involved. But they mostly grade these drafts on the here and now. If we’d have gotten Gibbs at 1 and La Porta at 60 we’d be the darlings. But if they regrade this draft in a few years I think it will be an A

RE: Grade The Draft - Housh - 05-07-2023

My reasoning for an A grade was we filled needs and at the same time took BPA. Literally every pick has a chance to compete.

(05-07-2023, 08:43 PM)Housh Wrote: My reasoning for an A grade was we filled needs and at the same time took BPA. Literally every pick has a chance to compete.

I actually voted B. But there was no B+. But since examining it further the Charlie Jones and Myles Murphy picks excite me the most for this season

RE: Grade The Draft - TheLeonardLeap - 05-07-2023

(05-07-2023, 09:01 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: We suffered when Trey went down last year. We suffered when Awouzie went down. We suffered when Boyd went down in the AFC Championship. As you mentioned they are covering themselves if they get injuries at key positions as well as developing to save cap money down the road. So glad they aren’t masters of just the here and now.

Suffered even more when OL went down but they didn't draft a single one even with an impending $55m/yr deal for their QB.

Honestly though, putting a grade on a draft is pretty pointless until maybe this time 2025.

(05-07-2023, 09:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Suffered even more when OL went down but they didn't draft a single one even with an impending $55m/yr deal for their QB.

Honestly though, putting a grade on a draft is pretty pointless until maybe this time 2025.

Of course they didn’t. They’ve got a full room. 4 solid tackles. Ford who can play G/T. They invested in FA. If it had been somebody they had high on their list at the time of the pick they would have.

RE: Grade The Draft - TheLeonardLeap - 05-07-2023

(05-07-2023, 09:22 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Of course they didn’t. They’ve got a full room. 4 solid tackles. Ford who can play G/T. They invested in FA. If it had been somebody they had high on their list at the time of the pick they would have.

1 IOL injury (any of the 3) away from things getting real dicey. 

1 very good starting LT, 1 backup who may be an okay LT (Carman), and 0 guys we can count on to be a good starting RT.

Still not happy that Drew Sample is almost certainly going to be the starting TE for most of the year, too.