Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege (/Thread-Chewbacca-mom-accused-of-white-privilege)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege - Nately120 - 06-19-2016

(06-18-2016, 05:31 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I'm aware of the studies ("black sounding" names, not "marked" from black applicants)....and my point was maybe it's just that the name is a signal that you come from poor and stupid parents - we are, after all, a product of hereditary and environment.  

But then the problem is it's no longer racism but a rational filter.  One that you can't control, but blaming racism rather than your parents is easier to accept.

Same thing with colleges.  With entry-level positions, the FIRST place I look on a resume is college and GPA.  A perfectly acceptable filter, however this is also "unfair" so we blame elitism rather than our choices/abilities.

Meh, my last name is obviously Italian and my first name is "Nathan" so guess the education levels of my parents.  Also, I can tell you my GPA if you like.

I feel like there are some rough cases out there because I grew up with a lot of people who have ethnic last names that are pretty telling, and most of us have biblical first names. I guess I'm just saying that I know a lot of Mark, Matt, John, Joe, Bills etc. and I wouldn't wager our GPA's and intelligence levels all hover around the same area. My generation was just full of boring-ass names. Good luck trying to figure out which of the 1,000 Jessica's is more qualified than the Candy who applied (for a job that doesn't involve stripping, I assume).

EDIT: All of this talk makes me feel like people just have this sort of "I'd handle adversity better than you IF it were affecting me" hero bs. It reminds me of the 2010 NFL season when the Bengals were god awful and 4-12 and the Steelers were about the play in the Super Bowl and one of my friends who is a Steelers fan said "If MY team were the one that was 4-12 I'd handle it better than you do."

Oh, how convenient. The fan of the good team not only has a better team than I do, but if he didn't he'd be a better loser too. I may be winning right now, but I figured I'd also take this time to chide the losers out there for losing. I'm sure if Donald Trump had been born in the Detroit slums as a black guy named Tyrone Jenkins he'd still be on the 2016 GOP ticket, right?

RE: Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege - StLucieBengal - 06-19-2016

(06-18-2016, 08:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Or you're just wrong.  But, hey, keep accusing me of lying if you're not interested in an honest debate. Lord knows you seem  more invested in calling Lucie racist and sexist than in any objective search for truth.

That's all most of them care about ....   It's like a checklist for each of them.   

Call me a..... 

1. Racist 
Then Report posts 
2. sexist 
Then Report posts 
3. Islamaphobe 
Then Report posts 
4. Homophobe 
Then Report posts 

Rinse repeat.   

RE: Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege - JustWinBaby - 06-19-2016

(06-19-2016, 01:06 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I guess I'm just saying that I know a lot of Mark, Matt, John, Joe, Bills etc. and I wouldn't wager our GPA's and intelligence levels all hover around the same area. 

Isn't that sweet [anecdotal evidence]?

All I'm saying is if I have three stack of resumes, one from the inner city, one from Appalachia, and one from all other...guess which pile I'm starting with?

And that's not racism or elitism, that's just experience.

Like I said...I look at college and GPA first, so I don't even know what race you and your friends are.

(06-18-2016, 05:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: What a horrible idea.

LMAO.    You don't hire people, do you?

(06-18-2016, 06:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you claim people who give their kids names that sound like they are from black culture are stupid?

Oh the irony of ignorance.  Read what you wrote.  And then ACTUALLY think about it.

(06-18-2016, 08:37 PM)PhilHos Wrote: More options? You mean like qualifying for and obtaining scholarships and student aid based solely on the color of my skin? How about the ability to get a job over someone more qualified because of my skin color? Or how about being publicly racist without fear of any repercussions? Or being able to berate a police officer without fear of being arrested?  Oh wait, these only apply to minorities.

And these are just the ones i could think off the top of my head. 

These are just a few off the top of my head that

That's black anti-privilege...and it's different.  So I suspect.  Cool

(06-18-2016, 09:38 PM)GMDino Wrote: Blacks are just lazy and have been lied to by the Libruls so long they think they CAN'T succeed.

No....just handed excuses so they can be dependent.

I actually had this debate with some black friends.  They said "they have nowhere to go".  I said "please, people cross the ocean with nothing to their name and make something of themselves....but people in the ghetto have no options?!?"

At that point, I got the "talk to the hand". I get that a lot when I present liberals with real logic.

RE: Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege - GMDino - 06-19-2016

(06-19-2016, 05:39 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: No....just handed excuses so they can be dependent.

I actually had this debate with some black friends.  They said "they have nowhere to go".  I said "please, people cross the ocean with nothing to their name and make something of themselves....but people in the ghetto have no options?!?"

At that point, I got the "talk to the hand".   I get that a lot when I present liberals with real logic.

Maybe if this were the 1880's up til the 1920's you'd have a point.

Times have changed.  The economy has changed.

My dad came back from the air force, got married, got a job in a factory and bought a house and a car and the only debt was a credit card for furniture.

Mom didn't work outside of the house.

Think in today's economy that could happen?  I don't think that's been possible since the 1970's.

RE: Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege - Beaker - 06-19-2016

(06-18-2016, 11:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When racial discrimination works in your favor then that is a privilege.

You can not change the definition of words just because you don't like what they mean.

priv·i·lege

ˈpriv(ə)lij/
noun

1. 1.
    a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people.

"White people have an advantage over black people, but that is not a privilege.  Because I say so. Derp."

Racail discrimination always works in favor of one and against the other. You're just calling the one who gets the favor privileged. I'm saying that's just a name for the other side of the discrimination coin. We don't need another name for the other side. If you want to do that then when racial discrimination happens to other races, you need to call the favored side privileged. Then there's black privilege when blacks discriminate against whites. There's Asian privilege when an asian renter favors renting his apartments to only his race and so on. I am not trying to change the meaning of the word privilege. Nice try though. Again, there is racial discrimination and it occurs against all races at times. The whole concept of calling the other side privileged is a stupid, made up concept designed to foster more excuses.

RE: Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege - fredtoast - 06-19-2016

(06-19-2016, 02:32 PM)Beaker Wrote: Racail discrimination always works in favor of one and against the other.

Wrong.  It only works in favor of the side with the power and authority to create an advantage.

Minorities may have racial bias against others, but they do not have the power or authority to bestow a privilege.  I am sure that just as many blacks hated whites in the Jim Crowe era as whites who hated blacks, but the big difference was that the whites had the power and authority to oppress the blacks while the blacks had no power or auhtority to oppress blacks. Yet there is no way antone with a brain would try to claim that whites were not more privileged than blacks,

(06-19-2016, 02:32 PM)Beaker Wrote:  The whole concept of calling the other side privileged is a stupid, made up concept designed to foster more excuses.

What is stupid is claiming that blacks receive the same privilege as whites.  Both sides may have the same racial bias against the other, but whites control a disproportionate amountof the power and wealth so the receive a much greater privelege from being white than blacks do from being black.

White privilege is a fact.  It exists.  The people who deny it are either very stupid or very racists.  Trying to say it is just "made up" is denying reality.

(06-19-2016, 05:30 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Like I said...I look at college and GPA first, so I don't even know what race you and your friends are.

and you are ignoring the fact that in the studies the resumes were idneticxal except for the names.

Address reality instead of your made up facts.

(06-18-2016, 05:31 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I'm aware of the studies ("black sounding" names, not "marked" from black applicants)....and my point was maybe it's just that the name is a signal that you come from poor and stupid parents - we are, after all, a product of hereditary and environment.  

Because anyone with a black sounding name has stupid parents?

Seriously?

(06-19-2016, 05:34 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Oh the irony of ignorance.  Read what you wrote.  And then ACTUALLY think about it.

Okay.  I thought about it.  Since I know of a lotof very smart people with names that sound like they come from a black heretige I have no idea what you are talking about.

(06-19-2016, 05:30 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Isn't that sweet [anecdotal evidence]?

Who around here would be stupid enough to try to win an argument based on anecdotal evidence?

Wait for it.......

(06-19-2016, 05:30 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I look at college and GPA first, so I don't even know what race you and your friends are.

Hilarious LMAO

Now why don't you address the studies where the resumes were idnetical except for the names?

(06-19-2016, 05:39 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I actually had this debate with some black friends.  They said "they have nowhere to go".  I said "please, people cross the ocean with nothing to their name and make something of themselves....but people in the ghetto have no options?!?"

So were any of your friends (more anectdotal evidence) football coaches who were complaining about how only about 9% of college head football coaches are black despite the fact that half of the pl;ayers have been black for many years?

(06-19-2016, 05:39 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: At that point, I got the "talk to the hand".   I get that a lot when I present liberals with real logic.

BTW you know what I get when I present scientific studies to conservatives?

Meaningless rhetoric and anecdotal evidence.

"Please, please, people smoke their entire loives and never have lung and/or heart disease, but you are trying to claim that smoking contributes to heart and lung disease?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

RE: Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege - Beaker - 06-19-2016

(06-19-2016, 04:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Minorities may have racial bias against others, but they do not have the power or authority to bestow a privilege.

White privilege is a fact. 

So an Asian landlord who only rents to other Asians doesn't have the power and authority to bestow that advantage? Wrong again...he certainly does. And Asians are minorities. By your definition, that's Asian privilege. When in reality, it is simply racial discrimination.

White privilege is a fact...a made up fact. It is perpetrated to provide excuses for failure.

RE: Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege - StLucieBengal - 06-19-2016

(06-19-2016, 06:18 PM)Beaker Wrote: So an Asian landlord who only rents to other Asians doesn't have the power and authority to bestow that advantage? Wrong again...he certainly does. And Asians are minorities. By your definition, that's Asian privilege. When in reality, it is simply racial discrimination.

White privilege is a fact...a made up fact. It is perpetrated to provide excuses for failure.

To these guys Asians don't count ...  Not dark enough 

RE: Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege - Vas Deferens - 06-19-2016

(06-19-2016, 08:29 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: To these guys Asians don't count ...  Not dark enough 

How dark does one need to be to earn the title savage, lucid?

RE: Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege - Rotobeast - 06-19-2016

(06-19-2016, 08:49 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: How dark does one need to be to earn the title savage, lucid?

As dark as the Japanese who committed atrocities against the Chinese in WW2 ?
I know that wasn't what you were referring to, but those savage bastards killed a massive amount of babies.
Sorry.... I just happened across the pictures of them bayonetting them, again the other day, and it's definitely something that sticks with you for a while.
Sick

RE: Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege - GMDino - 06-19-2016

(06-19-2016, 09:55 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: As dark as the Japanese who committed atrocities against the Chinese in WW2 ?
I know that wasn't what you were referring to, but those savage bastards killed a massive amount of babies.
Sorry.... I just happened across the pictures of them bayonetting them, again the other day, and it's definitely something that sticks with you for a while.
Sick

Well we certainly should not let them immigrate then!

Ninja