Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Faith - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Faith (/Thread-Faith)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Faith - bfine32 - 09-04-2015

I have no idea how folks can have insurance on the cars and home; yet, refuse to take out insurance on their souls. You might not ever need any of them, but it gives me peace to have all of them insured.

RE: Faith - SteelCitySouth - 09-04-2015

(09-04-2015, 10:22 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I have no idea how folks can have insurance on the cars and home; yet, refuse to take out insurance on their souls. You might not ever need any of them, but it gives me peace to have all of them insured.

Most people are required to take out insurance on their cars do to not truly owning them.  Those that own, nearly everyone has at least the minimum of liability (Some states allow you to pay a fee to be exempt form insurance on vehicles).  Nearly everyone is required to have insurance on their home because they have a mortgage.  Plenty of extremely rich people forgo insurance even on multi-million dollar homes and choose to self insure.

(09-04-2015, 10:27 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Most people are required to take out insurance on their cars do to not truly owning them.  Those that own, nearly everyone has at least the minimum of liability (Some states allow you to pay a fee to be exempt form insurance on vehicles).  Nearly everyone is required to have insurance on their home because they have a mortgage.  Plenty of extremely rich people forgo insurance even on multi-million dollar homes and choose to self insure.

Thanks for the story. Was there a point?

RE: Faith - CKwi88 - 09-04-2015

(09-04-2015, 10:14 AM)djs7685 Wrote: What are the odds that believing in the Christian God is just a mental disorder?

One of my favorite quotes from a TV show:

"What makes your god any less made up than his?"

(09-04-2015, 10:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Thanks for the story. Was there a point?

That's not a story it's fact.  The point was simple clarification on why people have insurance, or better stated, are required to have insurance.

(09-04-2015, 10:32 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: That's not a story it's fact.  The point was simple clarification on why people have insurance, or better stated, are required to have insurance.

OK, thanks.

I still feel better being insured.

(09-04-2015, 10:35 AM)bfine32 Wrote: OK, thanks.

I still feel better being insured.

I try not to insure things that I don't have.  For example I don't have Lamborghini and as a matter of practicality I don't pay for the insurance for one.  That would be a wast of finances.  Even if I wanted to the insurance company wouldn't let me.  I also don't have insurance on a unicorn I don't own.  One, because I don't have one, and two because they don't exist.  That would be a two fold waist of money if I had that insurance.

That is just me though. I have no issues with others and what they do as far as insurance.

(09-04-2015, 10:46 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I try not to insure things that I don't have.  For example I don't have Lamborghini and as a matter of practicality I don't pay for the insurance for one.  That would be a wast of finances.  Even if I wanted to the insurance company wouldn't let me.  I also don't have insurance on a unicorn I don't own.  One, because I don't have one, and two because they don't exist.  That would be a two fold waist of money if I had that insurance.

That is just me though.  I have no issues with others and what they do as far as insurance.

Was this more facts or a story?

RE: Faith - Rotobeast - 09-04-2015

(09-04-2015, 10:14 AM)djs7685 Wrote: What are the odds that believing in the Christian God is just a mental disorder?

Not very high, because it's technically a learned behavior.
I suppose if you want to subscribe to the "God Gene" theory,  you might have some traction.

RE: Faith - GMDino - 09-04-2015

(09-04-2015, 10:22 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I have no idea how folks can have insurance on the cars and home; yet, refuse to take out insurance on their souls. You might not ever need any of them, but it gives me peace to have all of them insured.

So you're just hedging your bets....just in case.

(09-04-2015, 10:50 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Was this more facts or a story?

All of that is fact.  I don't own a Lambo...Would love to...Don't own a Unicorn...My daughter wishes I did.  Therefore I don't have insurance on either.  More fact.  Are you having a stroke right now?  Cause you are having difficulty telling fact from fiction. 

(09-04-2015, 10:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: So you're just hedging your bets....just in case.

He's a total Pascalian Christian.

RE: Faith - Johnny Cupcakes - 09-04-2015

(09-04-2015, 02:22 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If your so sure that there is no God and that religion is false then there is no reason to hedge your bets,  the fact that you do means there is a real possibility.      

That's all I'm sayng.   Since there are some here who claim to be anti God and say he is made up.  It's funny when one of them is hedging his bets.  

Either stand for something or don't.   Accept the consequences either way.  

And we both can safely say there is no Katy Perry lesbian sex going on in your garage lol   However we can't say the same for God.

I'm pretty sure there are no gods. I'm not yet arrogant enough to say that my beliefs are facts though, and considering that you can't prove the negative, the possibility will always exist, no matter how small.

Honestly, I consider the likelihood of God being real to be extremely similar to the likelihood that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is secretly based on a true story. 

Just show me some facts...that's all I ask for. Until then, don't expect me to believe such fabulous statements. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

(09-04-2015, 10:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: So you're just hedging your bets....just in case.

Yes, as many do. Fortunately following the word gives additional benefits besides eternal salvation.

I only have insurance (homeowners, car, health) because it's illegal not to.  Besides, with these insurances, you're protecting yourself against real threats.  Hell and the devil are not real threats.

(09-04-2015, 10:55 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: All of that is fact.  I don't own a Lambo...Would love to...Don't own a Unicorn...My daughter wishes I did.  Therefore I don't have insurance on either.  More fact.  Are you having a stroke right now?  Cause you are having difficulty telling fact from fiction. 

Guess I'm just missing the point of how any of this would make folks not feel better for insuring things they have; hell, I even insure some things I don't have such as other drivers. I don't know it is a fact that you don't own a Lambo, all I have is your word.

I believe that it possibly is, to a degree.  I think you're born with the need to feel bigger and more significant than you are and people like the safe feeling of there being something else when you die.  Not being able to accept reality has been considered a mental disorder for a long time, but considering the majority of people still consider gods and afterlives to be a reality, it is thought of as different.

(09-04-2015, 11:04 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I only have insurance (homeowners, car, health) because it's illegal not to.  Besides, with these insurances, you're protecting yourself against real threats.  Hell and the devil are not real threats.
As long as you're 100% sure.

RE: Faith - RoyleRedlegs - 09-04-2015

Only when he talks to you or you see his face on toast. 

RE: Faith - djs7685 - 09-04-2015

(09-04-2015, 11:08 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I believe that it possibly is, to a degree.  I think you're born with the need to feel bigger and more significant than you are and people like the safe feeling of there being something else when you die.  Not being able to accept reality has been considered a mental disorder for a long time, but considering the majority of people still consider gods and afterlives to be a reality, it is thought of as different.

My post was obviously somewhat of a joke, but honestly, it's really not too crazy if you think about it.

We're told on a daily basis that many other things are "mental disorders", and I'd say being a devout Christian could just as easily be added to that list. The arguments are definitely there.