Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Alabama Court Awards Fetus the Right to Sue - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Alabama Court Awards Fetus the Right to Sue (/Thread-Alabama-Court-Awards-Fetus-the-Right-to-Sue)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Alabama Court Awards Fetus the Right to Sue - bfine32 - 05-13-2019

(05-13-2019, 04:07 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If life begins at conception and we're all born sinners, how does that work?

Not sure what the 2 concepts have to do with each other, but we are born to sin because of Adam and Eve and life begins at conception because science says so. 

RE: Alabama Court Awards Fetus the Right to Sue - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 05-13-2019

(05-13-2019, 06:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not sure what the 2 concepts have to do with each other, but we are born to sin because of Adam and Eve

We're born to sin and not conceived to sin? How is it that inherited sin begins at birth and not conception? I'm pretty sure you know what the 2 concepts have to do with each other despite the denial.

Quote: and life begins at conception because science says so. 

You're ability to completely ignore the teachings of two professors of embryology who are also doctors specializing in obstetrics and gynecology with a subspecialty in reproductive endocrinology and infertility who each refute the Pro-Life opinion that life begins at conception is incorrect and unscientific is . . . not surprising in the least.

RE: Alabama Court Awards Fetus the Right to Sue - bfine32 - 05-13-2019

(05-13-2019, 11:22 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: We're born to sin and not conceived to sin?  How is it that inherited sin begins at birth and not conception? I'm pretty sure you know what the 2 concepts have to do with each other despite the denial.

You're ability to completely ignore the teachings of two professors of embryology who are also doctors specializing  in obstetrics and gynecology with a subspecialty in reproductive endocrinology and infertility who each refute the Pro-Life opinion that life begins at conception is incorrect and unscientific is . . . not surprising in the least.

Apparently you overestimate me as I cannot draw the correlation. 

I guess I should have said "It is widely recognized in the scientific community that life begins at conception" that way I wouldn't "ignore" the teachings of two professors. 

For real, that's what you got: two professors?

RE: Alabama Court Awards Fetus the Right to Sue - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 05-14-2019

(05-13-2019, 11:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Apparently you overestimate me as I cannot draw the correlation. 

I guess I should have said "It is widely recognized in the scientific community that life begins at conception" that way I wouldn't "ignore" the teachings of two professors. 

For real, that's what you got: two professors?

No, that's not what I got. I've got two plus decades of advanced education, training, and experience in biology and medicine. In addition to taking care of patients full time (roughly 5,000 patient encounters per year), I precept medical and nurse practitioner students. So not just two professors, but dozens of professors who have taught me over many years in addition to my annual continuing medical education requirement and my recertification requirements to maintain my credentials.

The scientific community recognizes that single celled gametes are just as alive at conception as a single celled zygote. Life isn't created it is a continuum. Can you take two dead gametes and create life? No. Why not? Because you can't create life with two dead cells despite what all the Pro-Life politicians and clergymen mislead you to believe.

The Pro-Life mantra life begins at conception is propaganda based upon the misuse of textbooks designed to teach biology at an introductory level in introductory terms to introductory students with little to no knowledge of biology. These textbooks aren't written with consideration of how the Pro-Life community will misuse the information to further their agenda; but rather teach the basics of a life cycle without the political or religious bullshit to a 7th or 10th grader who probably isn't much interested in the subject anyway. Then when you try to teach advance biology concepts to people who don't have the necessary background or who aren't serious students interested in learning, such as yourself, they fail to understand the material just as you have again.

RE: Alabama Court Awards Fetus the Right to Sue - bfine32 - 05-14-2019

(05-14-2019, 12:35 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: No, that's not what I got. I've got two plus decades of advanced education, training, and experience in biology and medicine. In addition to taking care of patients full time (roughly 5,000 patient encounters per year), I precept medical and nurse practitioner students. So not just two professors, but dozens of professors who have taught me over many years in addition to my annual continuing medical education requirement and my recertification requirements to maintain my credentials.

The scientific community recognizes that single celled gametes are just as alive at conception as a single celled zygote. Life isn't created it is a continuum. Can you take two dead gametes and create life?  No. Why not?  Because you can't create life with two dead cells despite what all the Pro-Life politicians and clergymen mislead you to believe.

The Pro-Life mantra life begins at conception is propaganda based upon the misuse of textbooks designed to teach biology at an introductory level in introductory terms to introductory students with little to no knowledge of biology. These textbooks aren't written with consideration of how the Pro-Life community will misuse the information to further their agenda; but rather teach the basics of a life cycle without the political or religious bullshit to a 7th or 10th grader who probably isn't much interested in the subject anyway. Then when you try to teach advance biology concepts to people who don't have the necessary background or who aren't serious students interested in learning, such as yourself, they fail to understand the material just as you have again.
Oh my bad. You've got two professors and you.

You should have just stuck with the 2 professors. 

RE: Alabama Court Awards Fetus the Right to Sue - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 05-14-2019

(05-14-2019, 01:13 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Oh my bad. You've got two professors and you.

You should have just stuck with the 2 professors. 

Only a Republican would make fun of someone for working hard to earn a degree and achieve a level of expertise in a field which makes them qualified to teach the subject to medical students. Yeah, I got me. And me is all I need for the likes of you.

As far as feeble insults go, criticizing credentials which exceed your own in this subject is pretty feeble.

You want a mulligan?

(05-14-2019, 02:00 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Only a Republican would make fun of someone for working hard to earn a degree and achieve a level of expertise in a field which makes them qualified to teach the subject to medical students. Yeah, I got me. And me is all I need for the likes of you.

As far as feeble insults go, criticizing credentials which exceed your own in this subject is pretty feeble.

You want a mulligan?

No doubt, because Republicans are known to be against hard work; they'd prefer the government take care of them

Just look at the post I quoted and see if you can find where the "feeble insults" started with my 7th grade understanding of life cycle and all...

Nah, I'm good Focker. All those "credentials" and you still thought I mistakenly referenced The Surgeon General when I was referring to a Command Surgeon. 

All of this because I was asked a simple question and provided an unexpected answer and that question was "Why do you feel abortion is bad"?

My answer was because it takes an innocent life. So 2 forum members had to try to spin the definition of life either to sooth their cognitive dissonance or just to have a pointless argument. One telling me a human life begins after conception and one telling me it begins before. Bottomline it occurs before the vast, vast majority of abortions. There are some pro-choicers on here that recognize this fact yet have the courage of their convictions to support abortion and there are some that are not.

RE: Alabama Court Awards Fetus the Right to Sue - Aquapod770 - 05-14-2019

(05-08-2019, 07:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And here is usually where religion enters the argument.  Almost no one considers a clump of cells to be a "child" except religious people who believe in a "soul".

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but how do you define "child"  At what stage of development do you consider the fertilized egg to be a child?

I believe something with a heartbeat isn't just a clump of cells.  Mellow  

I see a lot of people attacking bfine in this thread for believing life begins at conception, but no one is stating when they think life begins. Does it truly begin at birth? So in theory, it should be total cool to abort a fetus right up until it exits the birth canal.

When the fetus is viable outside of the mother? Sure, I can see that point of view, but we have the medical ability to keep premature babies alive who wouldn't normally be able to do so on their own. Why bother if it's still just a clump of cells at that point?

The declaration of independence says, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." I'm sorry if I think the right to life trumps the "right" of choice. That's not a religious reason to be pro-life.

My point is there has to be a point in which life begins and gains that unalienable right to life. We may disagree on that point, but I am willing to hear others opinions on it even though you probably aren't going to be able to change my mind. Unfortunately when it comes to abortion no one is really going to be swayed from their side. I can easily empathize with those who believe life begins at conception for spiritual reasons, just like I can see someones point of view who doesn't.  

RE: Alabama Court Awards Fetus the Right to Sue - fredtoast - 05-14-2019

(05-14-2019, 11:58 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: When the fetus is viable outside of the mother? Sure, I can see that point of view, but we have the medical ability to keep premature babies alive who wouldn't normally be able to do so on their own. Why bother if it's still just a clump of cells at that point? 

That is why we currently draw the line at the beginning of the third trimester in abortion law.

I have repeatedly pointed out that when we have the ability to grow a fertilized egg outside of the mother's womb then the law should change, but we can not do that now.  Until we reach that point the mother is in control of what happens with her body.

You talk about the "individual rights" granted in the Constitution, but if the fetus can not survive outside of the womb it is not an "individual".  As long as it is dependent on the mother to survive then the mother's individual rights control.

BTW life does not begin at conception.  Both the sperm and the egg are alive before conception.  The question is when is a fetus an "individual" entitled to "individual rights".

(05-14-2019, 11:57 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: I believe something with a heartbeat isn't just a clump of cells.  Mellow  

You don't really care about a heart beat at all.  You oppose abortion even before there is a heartbeat.

(05-14-2019, 03:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You don't really care about a heart beat at all.  You oppose abortion even before there is a heartbeat.

Wow. You know me more than I know myself. You're clearly a genius fred.  Mellow

(05-14-2019, 04:11 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Wow. You know me more than I know myself. You're clearly a genius fred.  Mellow

Thank you, but I am no genius.  All I did was read what you have already written in this thread.

It's not exactly rocket science.

RE: Alabama Court Awards Fetus the Right to Sue - BmorePat87 - 05-14-2019

The Alabama state legislature has just passed the most restrictive abortion bill in the nation. It awaits the governor's signature.

-Abortions at all stages are illegal except for cases where the mother's life is at serious risk (as determined by two doctors).

-Mental or emotional health risk exceptions require two doctors confirming that the woman will likely kill herself or her child if she has the baby

-No abortions if you are raped or in cases of incest

-It's a felony for a doctor to perform an abortion, with up to 99 years in prison

RE: Alabama Court Awards Fetus the Right to Sue - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 05-15-2019

(05-14-2019, 11:32 AM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt, because Republicans are known to be against hard work; they'd prefer the government take care of them

Who complains about benefits for workers like unemployment? Republicans.

When the lazy free loaders get off their asses and finally get a job at someplace like McDonalds, who complains these jobs aren't meant to be a career? Republicans.

Who complains when workers ask for a "living wage"? Republicans.

Who complains when workers ask for an increase in the minimum wage? Republicans.

Who complains when workers ask for an increase in any pay or benefits except for executives? Republicans.

Who complains when workers form unions for increased negotiating leverage? Republicans.

Seems to me Republicans complain a lot about people who work hard, although they will complain these people aren't even working hard (while posting about them from their work.)

Quote:Just look at the post I quoted and see if you can find where the "feeble insults" started with my 7th grade understanding of life cycle and all...

Did I reference your 7th grade understanding or did I reference textbooks designed for 7th graders?

Quote:Nah, I'm good Focker. All those "credentials" and you still thought I mistakenly referenced The Surgeon General when I was referring to a Command Surgeon. 

This again? Okay . . .

1) I've never heard of anyone ever refer to a "Command Surgeon" without specifying the command.

2) Why would you reference a "Command Surgeon" who doesn't have anything to do with what I was talking about? Especially if their specific command doesn't matter as you claimed?

3) This again?

RE: Alabama Court Awards Fetus the Right to Sue - bfine32 - 05-15-2019

(05-15-2019, 01:06 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Who complains about benefits for workers like unemployment? Republicans.

When the lazy free loaders get off their asses and finally get a job at someplace like McDonalds, who complains these jobs aren't meant to be a career? Republicans.

Who complains when workers ask for a "living wage"? Republicans.

Who complains when workers ask for an increase in the minimum wage? Republicans.

Who complains when workers ask for an increase in any pay or benefits except for executives? Republicans.

Who complains when workers form unions for increased negotiating leverage? Republicans.

Seems to me Republicans complain a lot about people who work hard, although they will complain these people aren't even working hard (while posting about them from their work.)

Did I reference your 7th grade understanding or did I reference textbooks designed for 7th graders?

This again?  Okay . . .

1) I've never heard of anyone ever refer to a "Command Surgeon" without specifying the command.

2) Why would you reference a "Command Surgeon" who doesn't have anything to do with what I was talking about? Especially if their specific command doesn't matter as you claimed?

3) This again?

Only one of us called the other "wrong" and then ended up looking like a dumbass. We'll let the those that can read decide. 

As to the rest....2funny. 

RE: Alabama Court Awards Fetus the Right to Sue - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 05-15-2019

(05-15-2019, 01:16 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Only one of us called the other "wrong" and then ended up looking like a dumbass. We'll let the those that can read decide. 

As to the rest....2funny. 

Thank god "we" aren't leaving it up to the people who can't read to decide. As if that was even an option so it's fortunate we specified to the reader who is reading this we're leaving it up to them and specifically NOT the person who ISN'T reading this because . . . wait for it . . . they can't read any of this.

Thank god, too, we put the reader on notice it was their job to decide because I'm not sure they would have realized they are the decider if we hadn't informed them of this monumental responsibility.

Brilliant.

(05-14-2019, 11:34 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The Alabama state legislature has just passed the most restrictive abortion bill in the nation. It awaits the governor's signature.

-Abortions at all stages are illegal except for cases where the mother's life is at serious risk (as determined by two doctors).

-Mental or emotional health risk exceptions require two doctors confirming that the woman will likely kill herself or her child if she has the baby

-It's a felony for a doctor to perform an abortion, with up to 99 years in prison

https://www.thedailybeast.com/john-oliver-goes-off-on-georgia-anti-abortion-heartbeat-bill-it-puts-womens-health-and-lives-at-risk

Watch the embedded John Oliver clip.

RE: Alabama Court Awards Fetus the Right to Sue - GMDino - 05-15-2019

(05-14-2019, 11:34 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The Alabama state legislature has just passed the most restrictive abortion bill in the nation. It awaits the governor's signature.

Listen, when you see your party losing on a national level and record amount of women getting elected by the other party you gotta double down when you're a white, male, republican!

(They are banking on making laws so awful that they can fight them all the way to the SC where Justice Kegger can remember that bro who knocked some chick up after a weekender and how she went away for a week and came back not pregnant 'cause "god's will" and stuff...not 'cause of abortion.  Ninja)

All seriousness aside at least it's not solely because of religious reasons and is based on hard science.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/alabama-senate-passes-nations-most-restrictive-abortion-law-which-makes-no-exceptions-for-victims-of-rape-and-incest/2019/05/14/e3022376-7665-11e9-b3f5-5673edf2d127_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2db33900bc96

Quote:“This bill is about challenging Roe v. Wade and protecting the lives of the unborn because an unborn baby is a person who deserves love and protection,” Alabama state Rep. Terri Collins ®, the sponsor of the bill, said after the vote Tuesday night. “I have prayed my way through this bill. This is the way we get where we want to get eventually.”

I can't find the story about the official quoting bible verses in favor of the bill right now.