Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
War with Iran? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: War with Iran? (/Thread-War-with-Iran)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: War with Iran? - Dill - 06-19-2019

(06-19-2019, 02:27 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: There are a quite a few problems with using rockets in combat.

First, they are hard to manage and have a tendency to blow up or malfunction on launch unless handled quite precisely and somewhat delicately. The Iranians use rockets that are based upon former Soviet models that they captured from Iraq or acquired from Russia or China. Based upon these models, they have branched out to create some of their own designs (primarily variations meant to increase range). The original designs of the Soviet models were fairly solid and reliable for the users. But Iran has made alterations, including changes to the rocket fuels due to their inability to obtain certain ingredients. We discovered this from some of the SCUD rockets Iran had provided to the Houthis in Yemen and which were fired towards the Saudis. While the Americans were crowing about Patriot missiles shooting down the SCUDs, it was later realized that many of the missiles malfunctioned or even prematurely exploded due to changes made by the Iranians.

The next problem with rockets is accuracy. If your target is a city or a military base and you aren't particular about where it lands so much, that isn't much of a problem. Rockets work great for that purpose. If your target is a mobile military target such as troops in the field, caravans, fleets, etc., then you have big problems. You have to have the capability to find and track the target. It is not so easy to find and track military targets. They generally don't want 'the bad guys' to be able to do that. Satellite imagery can help, if you have satellites. I'm not sure that the Iranians have any satellites. If they do, I'm pretty sure they do not possess a network that can provide 24/7 recon over their country, the ability to produce high resolution images and the ability to download those images from satellites. Barring that, the next method is aerial recon. There is a problem with that for the Iranians, however. We own the skies. Anywhere in the world- We own the skies. While the Iranians appear to have an air defense network which is superior to what we saw in Iraq, we will still own the air and will reduce most of their air defenses within a matter of days. The lifespan of any Iranian aircraft (manned or unmanned) is probably shorter than that of a fly. So, aerial reconnaissance is really not an option for them. That leaves only visual ground recon by either forward observers or agents. These observers  are somewhat reliable at providing data on a target at one place in time, less reliable with a mobile target over time. Also, they need to communicate this data. Expect that pretty much all communication networks in the country will be reduced within 48 to 72 hours (that is also something we do, and why we like to have air superiority). Additionally, all radio and telecom traffic will be jammed by EA-6B Prowlers or AWACS (or whatever the modern equivalent is - those planes are from like 40 years ago). In short, it is gonna be real problematic for them to figure out where our guys are in order to fire rockets at them. They would probably be better off just burying the rocket warheads under major roads and remote detonating them when a convoy passes over.

Good analysis here. Systematic. Officer like. Responsible. And you are apparently treating with the Iran of 2019, not 1986.

Couple points and questions to develop this further. First is about what happens BEFORE all communications networks are reduced. What sort of casualties might the US be expected to take? Seems to me that, in contrast to prep for Iraq and Afghanistan, US strategists are focused on their anti-access and areal denial capabilities. They would have to take out buried sites, some as deep as 500 meters.

Second, the converse of the accuracy problem is that missiles are hard to stop. Some of Iran's rockets, like the Emad, which has a 2000 km range, are supposedly able to hit within 30 meters of a target or explode over them. That would be with a 750 kg payload. Don't these also have internal radar guidance?  If four or five of these strike US ships, no one will care if 5 malfunctioned before striking and 4 were taken out by air defense.

I read somewhere that Iranians might swarm US naval vessels with hundreds of old missiles, exhausting defense measures, then follow that with a wave of guided missiles.  But you think they would be unable to track targets? They do have lots of drones. One followed one of our aircraft carriers for 25 minutes without being detected. And they have friends with satellites to the north and east, don't they? Could they plausibly get access?

Third, about "owning the skies."  We certainly do over Afghanistan. But we don't over Syria. How would US aircraft fare over SAM-studded Iran?

Fourth, in addition to taking out their air defenses, there is also a navy to worry about, with some 30+ submarines with homing torpedoes and a couple capable of firing missiles from undersea. Planning for asymmetic warfare against an opponent they presume would overwhelm their surface navy quickly, they have developed an array of smaller target ships and submarines to exact heavy pre-landing costs on the potential invader.  Can the US track and target their submarines sufficiently well to take them out before they damage US ships?

If I am the Iranian leadership, I know my goal is not to "defeat" the US military, but to exact a cost for defeat that the US would be unwilling to pay. 
Do you think they could do that, given their current forces?

RE: War with Iran? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 06-19-2019

(06-19-2019, 12:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Iraq didn't have WMDs.

Let me try to explain something to you that COL Jessup tried to do.

In the Military you follow orders and sometimes you do so without question. That is why as a leader when you can you explain your reasoning, methodology, and motivation for your decision to your subordinates. So when the situation dictates you follow/give orders without questions these orders are followed because hopefully you've established enough trust that they believe in your decision. So YES, often I followed orders without question.

But as COL Jessup said: We follow words such as honor, code, discipline, oath, and obedience.  We follow these because we serve in a field that you have the luxury of being ignorant toward and use them as punchlines and slurs on Social Media. But unlike COL Jessup I don't want you to pick up as rifle because i doubt you know which is the dangerous end.

What happened to COL Jessup?  He was arrested for issuing orders that directly lead to the unnecessary death of one of his Marines.  Not only did he personally lie about it after the fact, but he directed his subordinates to lie about it in a conspiracy to cover up his and his unit's wrong doing. Additionally, he was more than willing to allow his subordinates to face a military court martial and go to jail rather than have the courage and integrity to tell the truth.

Which means what? 

COL Jessup was a dishonest coward without honor or integrity who cared more about his own career than the welfare of his troops with a total disregard for military justice and discipline who was ultimately a failure as a leader . . . in addition to being a fictional villain in a movie.  

I can't quote the USMC values, but he lacked every Army value:

Loyalty- he wasn't loyal to his own troops because he was willing to let them go to jail for following his orders
Duty- he had a duty to tell the truth during the investigation in order to maintain good order and discipline for the welfare of the USMC
Respect- he ordered the beating of a subordinate
Selfless Service- this includes to your subordinates, again he was willing to let his subordinates go to jail to save his own ass
Honor- he lied to investigators and lacked the courage to tell the truth
Integrity- he was a habitual liar IOT save his own career and encouraged his own subordinates to lie which compromised their integrity
Personal Courage- didn't have the courage to tell the truth when his ass was on the line even though his subordinates faced court martial for following his orders

He's about the last person one would want to present as the gold standard of military values.  He's the antithesis to military values and ethics.

RE: War with Iran? - GMDino - 06-19-2019

Is it just me or is people using a movie character to defend/explain real life action in the military kind of odd/scary?

Especially when it was a character that was the bad guy in the movie.  Mellow

(06-19-2019, 12:21 PM)Dill Wrote: There are some who might read this caution and hear you saying the US military could not defeat Iran's conventional forces! LOL

Sometimes we get into quagmires because generals tell their civilian superiors that the military option would be a cakewalk. Send in a Marine division. That will tip the balance of forces in favor of the US.  No? Then bomb North Vietnam. Light at the end of the tunnel. Not working?  Then drop more tonnage on Cambodia than all of WWII. Still not there? If only we could have invaded the North, and then China!
But Congress says no! Lacks the will to carry the fight to their territory. 

That hasn't happened so much since Vietnam.  My current worry is civilian authority overruling the military for exactly the reasons you say. Or maybe worse in the case of the current administration, since the goal seems to be to push Iran to attack some vaguely defined US interest so we can respond to their "aggression." 

We can defeat their conventional forces though. Same military that fought Saddam back in the 80s. Nothing to worry about if it comes to war. ThumbsUp

Quagmires happen when politicians think we'll just kick their ass and that will be the end of it.  Hell, Rumsfeld had us drive past their asses (against Chief of Staff of the Army GEN Shensheki's advice) thinking once we got to Baghdad that would be the end of it.

I'm not sure if lacking a Secretary of Defense is good or bad at this point.  It would be good to have a voice like Mattis in the room.  Not so much if Trump appoints someone like Pompeo or Bolton.

RE: War with Iran? - fredtoast - 06-19-2019

(06-19-2019, 12:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But as COL Jessup said: We follow words such as honor, code, discipline, oath, and obedience.  We follow these because we serve in a field that you have the luxury of being ignorant toward

I am not ignorant of anything.  My dad was in the Army.  Both my nephews were in the marines.  One of them was stationed on the Peleliu in the Gulf during the Gulf War and saw some really nasty shit in East Timor  I also have friends who have served in the military.  There is no deep dark secret about what you do.

(06-19-2019, 02:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: Is it just me or is people using a movie character to defend/explain real life action in the military kind of odd/scary?

No different than quoting Shakespeare.

But, if you're discussing military values and ethics you might want to pick a character more apropos than a disgraced commander without any integrity.

Lastly, as a colonel Jessup wouldn't even be on the wall he claims we want and need him on.  He would be clicks away in some climate controlled command post having one of his chogie boys delivering his coffee just the way he likes it, getting three hot meals a day, sleeping on clean sheets, and probably wearing starched uniforms.

(06-19-2019, 02:36 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: One good thing about Iran, the population is not nearly as divided between different sects and and tribes as Iraq or Afghanistan which would fight amongst themselves and try to become autonomous.

But the bad thing is that the vast majority of the population will despise us as occupiers. Unlike Iraq and Afghanistan, there won't be factions we can cozy up to and play against the rest (i.e. Kurds, Afghani tribes, etc.). There would be a large and organized underground movement to force us out, the likes of which we have not seen since the Viet Cong. And because of the size and topography of the country we could not even hope to weed them all out. I don't believe that we could nation-build there. No matter how many troops we used. And I suspect we would need Vietnam levels of troops (100,000+) stationed there just to occupy. That would bankrupt us eventually.

There are Kurds, but it's not clear what role they would play in this scenario. They've not been persecuted as they were under Saddam. There is political division in Iran, but it is likely an American attack would close rather than widen that division.

Calculating the costs of "victory," I see two phases. The first would involve taking out the conventional military. I just don't see a cakewalk there. The US would take significant casualties (for a democracy fighting a 3rd-world country) while stomping a "mudhole" in their ass. Realistically, that would be mission accomplished for the Iranians.

The Iranians would be planning for a second, "insurgency" phase after the defeat of their military. This would be better armed and coordinated than the Taliban or Iraqi insurgencies. Their nuclear scientists might be sent to Russia and China, ready to return and revive their nuclear program when the US leaves.

But suppose the US doesn't leave?

(06-19-2019, 02:36 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I envision that an occupation would be something akin to Afghanistan where we try to secure Tehran and some other cities and supply routes through the country, and then try to "win the hearts and minds" of the population through the urban populations. I don't know, maybe we try and build a new Studio 54 in downtown Tehran and restart where we left off in 1979, eh.

But we would still need to secure the borders, particularly the border with Iraq, in order to keep weaponry and troops from free-flowing back and forth (like Afghanistan). That means a lot of far-flung outposts in the hinterlands of the country. And those are susceptible to attack from guerilla forces. And, like Vietnam, some of those would be overrun. We didn't lose any major battles in Vietnam, but small units (even up to company size) and outposts were overrun somewhat regularly. That, combined with supply line ambushes which have become so common in Iraq and Afghanistan would mean massive casualties... lots of body bags.

Then we are stuck with yet another occupation, and that is where the bulk of casualties would occur. All indicators are that this one would be more costly than either Iraq or Afghanistan.  I don't know if the casualties would be Korea/Vietnam level. But they would not have to be. 

Imagine that, after three years, US battle deaths reached 6,000 while the number of critically wounded surged to 30,000 plus, and the US falls into a recession. An even bigger problem if a Democrat who would have restored the Iran Deal wins the next election, heightening the sense that, barely a decade of leaving Iraq, the US had once again jumped into another, more costly, unnecessary war. 

A final consideration through all phases would be the effect of an unnecessary war beyond just Iran and the US, i.e., on the regional and global system of international relations. What might the costs and gains be there? First it is hard to see that armed conflict with Iran would be limited to Iran and the Persian Gulf. Second, what opportunities would regional and global players see in the conflict, not all of them our friends? Trump's pullout from the Paris Agreement, TPP and Iran Deal have put US diplomacy/credibility on shaky ground, creating a power/influence vacuum in the Near and Far East. Anger at US (Trump) behavior is already forcing many countries to reconsider their alliances and commitments to the US, which is now behaving much like Athens in the Peloponnesian War.

Oh, Christ.  I just read the interim Secretary of Defense is stepping down and we're getting an interim to the interim Secretary of the Defense.

LOL.  It's like Trump's administrators are getting battlefield promotions obviously without the bump in pay. I guess this is the plan to offset his deficit?

(06-19-2019, 02:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: Is it just me or is people using a movie character to defend/explain real life action in the military kind of odd/scary?

How many movies have YOU been in Dino?

You have no idea what it is like eating your breakfast 300 yds from a fictional Cuban Machine gun nest.
Probably no one in your family does either.

Sounds like you are saying the US military could not defeat Iran's.  LOL

(06-19-2019, 03:11 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Oh, Christ.  I just read the interim Secretary of Defense is stepping down and we're getting an interim to the interim Secretary of the Defense.

LOL.  It's like Trump's administrators are getting battlefield promotions obviously without the bump in pay. I guess this is the plan to offset his deficit?

Esper. Good news for Rayethon.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2019/06/19/mark-esper-is-acting-defense-secretary-will-trump-make-it-permanent/

RE: War with Iran? - GMDino - 06-19-2019

(06-19-2019, 03:15 PM)Dill Wrote: How many movies have YOU been in Dino?

You have no idea what it is like eating your breakfast 300 yds from a fictional Cuban Machine gun nest.
Probably no one in your family does either.

Sounds like you are saying the US military could not defeat Iran's.  LOL

No movies.  I ain't one of them thar hollywood liberal elites!   Smirk

RE: War with Iran? - Bengalzona - 06-19-2019

(06-19-2019, 01:40 PM)Dill Wrote: Couple points and questions to develop this further. First is about what happens BEFORE all communications networks are reduced. What sort of casualties might the US be expected to take? Seems to me that, in contrast to prep for Iraq and Afghanistan, US strategists are focused on their anti-access and areal denial capabilities. They would have to take out buried sites, some as deep as 500 meters.

It is hard to tell. Probably Desert Storm is the best indicator of what casualties to aircrews might be like initially. Iran has better air defense equipment than Iraq had, more modern. But it isn't so modern as to cause great concern. On the ground, a Marine division with possibly some smaller Army support units and some Special Ops teams would probably do the initial strike to seize port and air facilities in the Gulf. Marines live for this type of mission: charging up the beach. They are highly professional and they are the best in the world at it. They haven't had to do an amphibious landing on a contested beach since Inchon back in the Korean War. So, estimating casualties is a bit difficult.

This area is highly defended by the Iranians. It is their "oil lifeline" to the world. This area and Tehran are where they have concentrated most of their heavy defenses (tanks, artillery, air defenses, etc.). This is also where the Iraqi Army was stopped cold during the Iran-Iraq War.

But we are not the Iraqi Army of the 80's. Stealth aircraft would remove most of their radar network and would reduce their air defense efficiency. Cruise missiles would come in to finish up the rest. This would probably occur in a 24 to 72 hour time span. Ground attack aircraft would then be free to roam and target tanks and artillery positions in the area. With the heavy stuff removed, the Marines probably wouldn't face much more than small arms when they storm the beach (much to their disappointment). We would probably have the port facilities and area airfields secured within a week after commencement of operations.

Now if I were an Iranian commander, I would take those rockets we have discussed before and pre-target them on beach locations around the port area. They would not stop the Marines, but in that circumstance they could create the most casualties and shut down the port for awhile..

Quote:Second, the converse of the accuracy problem is that missiles are hard to stop. Some of Iran's rockets, like the Emad, which has a 2000 km range, are supposedly able to hit within 30 meters of a target or explode over them. That would be with a 750 kg payload. Don't these also have internal radar guidance?  If four or five of these strike US ships, no one will care if 5 malfunctioned before striking and 4 were taken out by air defense.

I read somewhere that Iranians might swarm US naval vessels with hundreds of old missiles, exhausting defense measures, then follow that with a wave of guided missiles.  But you think they would be unable to track targets? They do have lots of drones. One followed one of our aircraft carriers for 25 minutes without being detected. And they have friends with satellites to the north and east, don't they? Could they plausibly get access?

I believe claims of an Emad rocket hitting within 30m of a target are Iranian propaganda. As I have mentioned before, there is evidence to support that Iran's rocket resources are not all that they claim them to be.

A 750kg conventional payload would be a nasty hit... if it hit. But their rockets generally do not have radar guidance. They are either artillery rockets or ballistic missiles which do not have the ability to affect course changes once they are launched. That is an ability for a ballistic missile that only the Russians claim to have right now with their Iskander missile. The Iranians do appear to have some cruise missiles (Soumar, based upon the Russian Kh-55) which would have radar or closed circuit guidance. It would have a substantially smaller warhead.

Hitting a moving target with a guided missile is not easy. Hitting it with a rocket is pretty much impossible. On the backdrop of an ocean or sea, a ship is pretty small and hard to find from a long distance. You need to have the recon and surveillance equipment that can find ships at long range. The Iranians would not have this capability in a wartime situation.

Our Navy uses a combination of systems for missile defense: SeaRAM anti-missile missiles, electronic countermeasures, chaff dispensers and the Phalanx anti-missle close-in weapons system. The Phalanx system is an automated Gatling gun and has successfully shot down Iraqi Silkworm missiles in combat. It is effective, automated and can deal with multiple incoming threats from a couple of miles out. Not sure about the SeaRAM. Anti-missile missiles is a hard mission. As rockets and (non-nuclear) ballistic missiles are not effective against ships, we could assume that any swarm attack would be attempted with cruise missles. Cruise missiles are sub-sonic. They travel about as fast as a jet airliner. I'm thinking you wouldn't be able to overwhelm a Phalanx with those.

Iran's gun and missile boats, submarines and cruise missiles are there to threaten unarmed oil tankers and other nations in the region, not to engage with a world power.

Quote:Third, about "owning the skies."  We certainly do over Afghanistan. But we don't over Syria. How would US aircraft fare over SAM-studded Iran?

We don't over Syria only because we chose not to. We didn't want a confrontation with the Russians over it.

In a concentrated effort, we would overwhelm the Iranian air defenses in a few days. We would take casualties in the process. But not so many casualties as to make the mission untenable.

Quote:Fourth, in addition to taking out their air defenses, there is also a navy to worry about, with some 30+ submarines with homing torpedoes and a couple capable of firing missiles from undersea. Planning for asymmetic warfare against an opponent they presume would overwhelm their surface navy quickly, they have developed an array of smaller target ships and submarines to exact heavy pre-landing costs on the potential invader.  Can the US track and target their submarines sufficiently well to take them out before they damage US ships?

Yes. We can absolutely find and destroy all of their submarines within a short amount of time. Our Navy has been designed to fight 'quiet' nuclear Russian subs. They use older, non-nuclear submarines that are generally easy to find. On the off chance that a submarine managed to hide for a short time (say that it stayed underwater for a few days and didn't move), as soon as it fired a torpedo, it would be tracked and destroyed.

Their smaller gunboats and fast missiles boats could prove troublesome. But, once again, once they appear and fire, they are toast. Particularly with our available air resources.

Quote:If I am the Iranian leadership, I know my goal is not to "defeat" the US military, but to exact a cost for defeat that the US would be unwilling to pay. 
Do you think they could do that, given their current forces?

The Iranian commander has a dilemma. He has to attempt to make a stand at the beaches and in the big cities even though his positions there are hopeless. The only thing they can do is to make every effort to slow and bleed the opposing force as much as possible. And I'm sure they will do that. Politics calls for it. But if I were him, I would have learned from the previous U.S. invasions in Iraq and Afghanistan. I would have stockpiled arms and ammo in remote underground caches and dispersed a good portion of the troops to remote mountain locations in order to wage long term guerilla warfare. Most of my planning would have gone into this. Underground tunnel and cave networks would have been created. Plans for clandestine resupply operations with other nations would be made. War of attrition. It is the way of the 21st century.

RE: War with Iran? - fredtoast - 06-19-2019

(06-17-2019, 04:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Iran is always supporting these rebel groups that are fighting against Sunni opposition around the world.

(06-17-2019, 06:37 PM)Dill Wrote: Another thing I have not mentioned in previous posts on this thread is the our current Iran policy will allow us to call any attack on an ally by someone we deem an Iranian proxy as an attack on US interests which must be "answered"--this includes a Hamas or Hezbollah rocket into Israel or a Houthi attack on Saudi Forces in Yemen or a mortar landing in the Emerald City.

(06-17-2019, 08:08 PM)Dill Wrote: Also, as I mentioned above, Iran is a regional power with proxies, something neither Iraq nor Afghanistan were. It has great power to destabilize Iraq and Afghanistan all over again. Send a few more units in there too?  Japan, Germany and other allies would be squealling as the oil flow constricted.

(06-19-2019, 05:23 AM)Dill Wrote: neither Iraq nor the Taliban had thousands of rockets which could reach ships and other targets 2,000 km away, with the potential to inflict horrendous damage on US forces before they even arrive.  Nor did either have the potential to expand the conflict to 4-5 other countries. 

(06-19-2019, 11:33 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote:  I also believe an invasion of Iran would result in another proxy war like Iraq for us and Afghanistan for USSR. Saudi Arabia will use Iraq as a proxy vs. Iran. While Russia (Putin) will use Syria to prop up Iran to use against America the way America used Afghanistan in the 1980s vs USSR. All while fomenting the Sunni-Shia schism to add a dash of sectarianism which will breathe new life into ISIS or an ISIS like organization. A proxy war, an insurgency, and a sectarian civil war combined must be a war hawks wet dream. 

(06-19-2019, 03:03 PM)Dill Wrote: A final consideration through all phases would be the effect of an unnecessary war beyond just Iran and the US, i.e., on the regional and global system of international relations. What might the costs and gains be there? First it is hard to see that armed conflict with Iran would be limited to Iran and the Persian Gulf. Second, what opportunities would regional and global players see in the conflict, not all of them our friends? 

If the US attacks Iran it will bust open a hornets nest all across the Middle east.  That is the biggets problem I see.

RE: War with Iran? - bfine32 - 06-19-2019

(06-19-2019, 02:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not ignorant of anything.  My dad was in the Army.  Both my nephews were in the marines.  One of them was stationed on the Peleliu in the Gulf during the Gulf War and saw some really nasty shit in East Timor  I also have friends who have served in the military.  There is no deep dark secret about what you do.

My uncle was a firefighter, so I know how to put out fires...

(06-19-2019, 03:28 PM)Dill Wrote: Esper. Good news for Rayethon.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2019/06/19/mark-esper-is-acting-defense-secretary-will-trump-make-it-permanent/

Twice named one of the top corporate lobbyists by The Hill. At least we're draining the swamp.

To recap: new interim to the interim Secretary of Defense while the interim Deputy Secretary of Defense continues his job as comptroller, and we can expect an interim Secretary of the Army.

Oh, cool. We have an interim Secretary of the Air Force, too.

Along with an interim Secretary of Homeland Security who is also in charge of Customs and Border Protection.

In addition to all these interim people holding down more than one job, we've got Mike Pence and Rick Perry on the Security Counsel with Pompeo. Holy shit. That means Trump has two temps, two religious wingnuts (one of which wanted to get rid of the department he's in charge of and didn't realize what he would be in charge of when he took the job), and one idiot advising him as part of his Security Counsel. I had no idea this shit had gotten so bad.

Given the 2 choices you provided: I think you are the scarier of the 2 

RE: War with Iran? - Belsnickel - 06-19-2019

(06-19-2019, 04:33 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Twice named one of the top corporate lobbyists by The Hill. At least we're draining the swamp.

To recap: new interim to the interim Secretary of Defense while the interim Deputy Secretary of Defense continues his job as comptroller, and we can expect an interim Secretary of the Army.

Oh, cool. We have an interim Secretary of the Air Force, too.

Yeah, and no real conversations about how all of these "acting" staff in positions that require Senate confirmation is undermining Senate authority. I wonder why that is. Hmm

(06-19-2019, 04:53 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, and no real conversations about how all of these "acting" staff in positions that require Senate confirmation is undermining Senate authority. I wonder why that is. Hmm

Obstruction of government

Obviously there's some SoD stuff I'm missing. Didn't the interim step down because of accusations on an affair?

RE: War with Iran? - Belsnickel - 06-19-2019

(06-19-2019, 05:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Obviously there's some SoD stuff I'm missing. Didn't the interim step down because of accusations on an affair?

Accusations of domestic violence.