Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Bernard released - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Bernard released (/Thread-Bernard-released)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Bernard released - Spider - 04-07-2021

Tuff Loss..
Zac Taylor and company on a mission to eliminate the Marvin Lewis era...
At the same time the Marvin Lewis players are requesting to be moved/released??
Things that make you go Hmmmmm

RE: Bernard released - Murdock2420 - 04-07-2021

This is a tough move from a fan stand-point but from a team stand-point, it is the type of moves you have to make. Gio is a leader, and a great role player on the team but his cap number was just too high for what he provided.

As long as they use this money wisely, then it is a good move in the long run.

RE: Bernard released - Essex Johnson - 04-07-2021

(04-07-2021, 02:44 PM)yang Wrote: How can so many Bengals fans hang out here and follow this team and not know that Gio was getting cut?  I mean we pretty much knew this last year.  

To me Gio was a draft mistake when we could have had Le'veon Bell the Steelers drafted a few picks later.  We quikly realized he wasn't a bell cow and had to draft a RB early again.  Nice guy, typical Bengal.

Gio was a solid pick for the Bengals coming out of college.. he was projected ahead of Bell and had a solid start to his career, main difference early between him was how the Bengals used Gio and their decision to go more 2 back sets.  

Look at their rookie year... Bell was the main back in Pitts and if you look at their overall stats, Gio performed just as good , maybe a bit better even with having Ellis gaining over 700 yards, then Hill comes in shares time and gains over 1,000.  Give Gio 200 to 220 carries , more WR touches instead of 150-60 carries his first three years and he would have been one in top 10 backs in the NFL.  

RE: Bernard released - SadFaceBengal15 - 04-07-2021

(04-07-2021, 03:34 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Gio was a solid pick for the Bengals coming out of college.. he was projected ahead of Bell and had a solid start to his career, main difference early between him was how the Bengals used Gio and their decision to go more 2 back sets.  

Look at their rookie year... Bell was the main back in Pitts and if you look at their overall stats, Gio performed just as good , maybe a bit better even with having Ellis gaining over 700 yards, then Hill comes in shares time and gains over 1,000.  Give Gio 200 to 220 carries , more WR touches instead of 150-60 carries his first three years and he would have been one in top 10 backs in the NFL.  

No he wasn’t

RE: Bernard released - Truck_1_0_1_ - 04-07-2021

(04-07-2021, 04:27 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: No he wasn’t

He absolutely was.

Stop.

RE: Bernard released - The Clapp - 04-07-2021

(04-07-2021, 01:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This is always a Bengals FO problem. Reactive instead of proactive. 

But I don't think they're 3 years out if they make the right moves.

I would call what they did today..Proactive.. Whatever

RE: Bernard released - Bengalitis - 04-07-2021

Not even a trade? WTF?!?!?!?!!?

RE: Bernard released - Bengalitis - 04-07-2021

(04-07-2021, 03:17 PM)Spider Wrote: Tuff Loss..
Zac Taylor and company on a mission to eliminate the Marvin Lewis era...
At the same time the Marvin Lewis players are requesting to be moved/released??
Things that make you go Hmmmmm

Zac hasn't even created a positive era yet...he may not even accomplish one.

RE: Bernard released - Essex Johnson - 04-07-2021

(04-07-2021, 04:27 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: No he wasn’t

Yep... Gio came out  projected ahead of Bell,  Slight difference but to act like drafting Gio was a major mistake in the draft over Bell is incorrect.   It was how each team used their player that dictated more the success of that player.. Interesting tell me how Bell has done since leaving Pittsburgh.. crap is the answer.. The system was part of the production of Bell as was the lack of production of Gio

RE: Bernard released - hoosierbengal - 04-07-2021

Packers, I think Rodgers would like having Gio in a Packers uny. Rodgers would know how to use Gio. JMO

RE: Bernard released - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 04-07-2021

(04-07-2021, 02:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As a long time Bengal fan I am aware that almost every big contract extension they have done over the past several years has been completed right before or during training camp.

And as a long time Bengals’ fan you are also aware the Bengals typically leave approximately $10M unused every season.

It’s not like they asked him to take a pay cut so they could afford to upgrade OG. They asked him to take a pay cut for the sake of taking a pay cut despite agreeing to his contract two years ago.

RE: Bernard released - fredtoast - 04-07-2021

(04-07-2021, 05:46 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: And as a long time Bengals’ fan you are also aware the Bengals typically leave approximately $10M unused every season.

Yes.  They spend up to the league salary cap (or sometimes over the league cap) and roll over about $10 million each year.

(04-07-2021, 05:46 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: It’s not like they asked him to take a pay cut so they could afford to upgrade OG. They asked him to take a pay cut for the sake of taking a pay cut despite agreeing to his contract two years ago.

Fans here praise OTHER teams for getting overpaid players to agree to renegotiate their salary, but when the Bengals try to do it they complain.

(04-07-2021, 05:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Yep... Gio came out  projected ahead of Bell,  Slight difference but to act like drafting Gio was a major mistake in the draft over Bell is incorrect.   It was how each team used their player that dictated more the success of that player.. Interesting tell me how Bell has done since leaving Pittsburgh.. crap is the answer.. The system was part of the production of Bell as was the lack of production of Gio

Bell weighed 245 in college.  He was a completely different back than what he was in the NFL.

RE: Bernard released - yang - 04-07-2021

Anyone saying taking Gio over Bell is just wrong, c'mon man. Gio couldn't even start for the Bengals. He was a decent 3rd down back and occasional starter. He's almost thirty and the teams isn't paying that money for a backup and we knew this all along. Most were surprised he got the last contract.

(04-07-2021, 06:23 PM)yang Wrote: Anyone saying taking Gio over Bell is just wrong, c'mon man.

But you are relying on 20/20 hindsight.

I think the point was that "at the time" Gio was rated higher.  Bell weighed 245 in college and was not anything like the RB he became in the NFL.

RE: Bernard released - ochocincos - 04-07-2021

(04-07-2021, 06:23 PM)yang Wrote: Anyone saying taking Gio over Bell is just wrong, c'mon man.  Gio couldn't even start for the Bengals.   He was a decent 3rd down back and occasional starter.   He's almost thirty and the teams isn't paying that money for a backup and we knew this all along.  Most were surprised he got the last contract.

The only reasons Bell fell were because he had so much tread on his tires coming out of Michigan St, and he ran a very slow 40 (4.60).
But he was bigger coming into the league and put in good effort to trim down, resulting in him getting faster.

Now let's compare their NFL careers:
Bell - 6453 rush yards, 40 rush TDs, 3259 receiving yards, 8 receiving TDs
Bernard - 3697 rush yards, 22 rush TDs, 2867 receiving yards, 11 receiving TDs

Bell had 2756 more rushing yards, 392 more receiving yards, and 15 more total TDs than Bernard.

They did have near-identical yards per carry, Bernard with 4.0 and Bell with 4.1.
Also near-identical yards per reception, Bernard with 8.4 and Bell with 8.3.

RE: Bernard released - GodFather - 04-07-2021

I think this was a bad move. They are banking on Mixon staying healthy all season? I don't see it happening.

Gio will be signed elsewhere in no time.

RE: Bernard released - ochocincos - 04-07-2021

(04-07-2021, 06:35 PM)GodFather Wrote: I think this was a bad move. They are banking on Mixon staying healthy all season? I don't see it happening.

Gio will be signed elsewhere in no time.

It may not necessarily be banking on Mixon staying healthy, but it does at least give indication they feel confident in Perine and Williams if Mixon does miss any time.

RE: Bernard released - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 04-07-2021

(04-07-2021, 06:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes.  They spend up to the league salary cap (or sometimes over the league cap) and roll over about $10 million each year.

And you know a rollover is only possible by not spending that money that season.

What year did the Bengals exceed the salary cap?

Quote:Fans here praise OTHER teams for getting overpaid players to agree to renegotiate their salary, but when the Bengals try to do it they complain.

I have no problem with the team renegotiating for additional cap space when needed. But, they already had over $20M in cap space.

It’s not like the team came to Bernard and Atkins and asked them to take a pay cut so they could afford Thuney or Linsley.

RE: Bernard released - Wes Mantooth - 04-07-2021

Feel bad for Gio. Gotta be rough hitting the free agency market this late in the game.