Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? (/Thread-Is-Bud-Light-Right-And-I-m-Wrong)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-09-2023

(06-09-2023, 01:25 PM)Dill Wrote: Thanks for the feedback. There were two links in that which could have been separated into two posts.

Both had the common intent of shifting right vs left contrasts onto a more solid, if incomplete, grounding in data.

The first link, derived from the Free Speech project at Georgetown U., directly addressed the "silencing" of college speakers, sometimes by violence and threats. My goal in presenting it was to encourage caution regarding MSM coverage of "cancel culture" and the like. They spend more time with sensational cases, so that is a motivation to create sensational cases. The resulting coverage then skews people's perceptions. 20-30 incidents a year on 10 campuses doesn't seem like much when you remember there are 4,000+ institutions of higher ed in the U.S.

This is possible and I agree that the media will focus on the more extreme stories, for obvious reasons.  But I consume a lot of less mainstream media, both left and right, and I rarely encounter such a story regarding right wing protests.

I went on very left leaning sites and searched for college protest.  Logically one would assume that if a site is going to cover such a right wing protest it would be a far left site.  Here are the results.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/search?q=college+protest (no examples)

https://www.vice.com/en/search?q=college%20protest  (one example in the first ten pages)

https://www.google.com/search?q=college%20protest%20site%3Abuzzfeed.com&oq=buzzfeed&aqs=chrome.0.0i271j46i131i199i433i465i512j0i433i512l2j0i512j0i433i512j0i131i433i512j5.14463j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&ved=2ahUKEwjj0sPG1rb_AhU6C0QIHdihBogQ2wF6BAgsEAE&ei=aFyDZOP-O7qWkPIP2MOawAg#ip=1

The above is Buzzfeed, as the search function on their site wasn't working.  I didn't see any examples here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=college%20protest%20site%3Adailykos.com&oq=daily+kos&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i131i433i512l2j0i512j0i131i433i512j0i512l5.1940j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&ved=2ahUKEwiSl7uQ17b_AhVdOEQIHaGGDEMQ2wF6BAgYEAE&ei=BF2DZJKFAt3wkPIPoY2ymAQ#ip=1

That is Daily KOS, as their on site search program sucks.  Didn't see any examples here either.

https://www.vox.com/search?q=college+protest  Zero examples.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?as_q=college+protest&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=www.theguardian.com&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&tbs=#ip=1

The Guardian.  Again, zero examples.

One would think if right wing protests were occurring at anything close to the same rate that these sites would be covering them.  That there are so few stories, while certainly not definitive, certainly raise doubts as to their occurring equally, or close to equally.

Quote:The second link was to address the logic of right/left comparison at a more general level, which expands assessments of violence beyond college campuses, but doesn't exclude them. The study's hypothesis reached back into previous work on right/left violence to emphasize features imminent to each side's worldview that account for one being more violence prone than the other.  

Which is good information, just not germane to the point being made.

Quote:I think Islamic terrorism was included as a separate element because they wanted to avoid forcing them into the American (North and South) and European political spectrum, but they needed to include them because the study was also global in nature.

Understandable.

Quote:I tried your suggested Youtube experiment. I found that the "left" search and the "right" search often called up the same videos. My hesitancy about using Youtube to assess quantity is that there is no reason to suppose the number of videos breaking one way or the other corresponds to anything other than the intensity of organization of one side as opposed to the other. This is why it is important that states and the federal gov. compile data on political violence, against which we can check our impressions of the magnitude of a perceived threat.

I did the same and will post the links below.  That way people can make up their own mind.  The searches below certainly seem to skew heavily left.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=left+wing+college+protest

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=right+wing+college+protests

RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Nately120 - 06-09-2023

(06-09-2023, 01:58 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You must never be on social media then, because it's rampant.  As I mentioned earlier, you can't disagree with a single issue without earning the label.  Straight man not interested in a transwoman with a penis, transphobe.  Lesbian woman not interested in a transwoman with a penis, transphobe.  Don't think biological males should compete in women's sports, transphobe.  Don't think transwomen with penises should be housed in women's prisons or stay in female only shelters, transphobe.  There's literally not one thing you can disagree with this movement about without "earning" the label.

If I may take a page out of "everyone's mother's playbook" if people say that stuff about you then they aren't really your friends and you should ignore them.

I feel like the problem with social media is that people are "friends" on there with people they can't stand in real life.  It just doesn't add up to me.

RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Lucidus - 06-09-2023

Before I begin replying to your response, I must first state that I find it rather concerning that in a discussion between you and I about your assertions of transgender ideology, you saw the need to pivot to drag shows. The two things are not related, as the overwhelming majority of queens are not transexual. Why did you feel the need to interject them into a transgender discussion? This is a common tactic by the anti-trans crowd that I was rather disappointed to see you employ.

(06-08-2023, 09:14 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Scantily clad adults gyrating in front of children has no sexual connotation?  You've rather exposed yourself on this one.

Perhaps you could provide a video example of what you deem sexual? Interpreting it as such doesn't automatically make it the case. Unless you can provide evidence of this being a frequent occurrence and that those occurrences are actually sexual in nature, then it's a purposely disingenuous attempt to label drag shows as somehow problematic.

Quote:Are said cheerleaders within close proximity to children?  Are children providing money to the cheerleaders?

If you found it sexual, that's your right, but your opinion doesn't make it the case for others or the situation in general.

Quote:I said ANY adult attempting to have the conversation with children is disturbing, not just transgender adults.  So my point about your mischaracterization stands.  Do you disagree?  Are you yearning to discuss sexual topics with children not your own?  Do you not see any problem with adults doing so?

Parents are historically inept when it comes to discussing topics of sexuality with their children; many avoid the topic altogether or give inadequate explanations that leaves the child still curious and desiring answers. The reason children are asking questions or seeking clarity from others is because the parents have failed to do so or the child feels uncomfortable going to them. This is why sex education is schools is so vital.

Quote:Bullshit.  The recent explosion of supposedly transgender children shows this to be an utter falsehood.

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-transyouth-data/number-of-transgender-children-seeking-treatment-surges-in-u-s-idUKL1N3142UU

In 2021, about 42,000 children and teens across the United States received a diagnosis of gender dysphoria, nearly triple the number in 2017, according to data Komodo compiled for Reuters. Gender dysphoria is defined as the distress caused by a discrepancy between a person’s gender identity and the one assigned to them at birth.

Are you familiar with the history of left-handedness? It's a great teaching tool in these discussions.

Quote:Is this real gender dysphoria or social contagion.  Even Bill Maher is calling bullshit on this.

I know The Hill is a far right site, but please bear with me.

As public acceptance and acknowledgement increases, so will the number of people who will be comfortable enough to state their true identity. 

(06-09-2023, 02:57 PM)Lucidus Wrote: Before I begin replying to your response, I must first state that I find it rather concerning that in a discussion between you and I about your assertions of transgender ideology, you saw the need to pivot to drag shows. The two things are not related, as the overwhelming majority of queens are gay, straight or bisexual. Why did you feel the need to interject them into a transgender discussion? This is a common tactic by the anti-trans crowd that I was rather disappointed to see you employ.

Hmm, I find your assertion interesting, as we frequently hear about laws against drag shows being transphobic.  I'm not employing anything btw, I'm making a case against sexually charged performances for children.

Quote:Perhaps you could provide a video example of what you deem sexual? Interpreting it as such doesn't automatically make it the case. Unless you can provide evidence of this being a frequent occurrence and that those occurrences are actually sexual in nature, then it's a purposely disingenuous attempt to label drag shows as somehow problematic.

You could go on LibsofTikTok's twitter feed and find hundreds of examples.  Before you go the predictable route and dismiss the account as whatever -phob or -ist you choose you'll note that in the instances I am referring to the account is merely reposting content posted by others.

I'll post a link for those interested.  Kindly restrict yourself to the videos in question.  I am not interested in the accounts personal opinions, and in fact disagree with many of them.  I am only sharing the videos they have discovered.

https://twitter.com/libsoftiktok/media

Quote:If you found it sexual, that's your right, but your opinion doesn't make it the case for others or the situation in general.

So you're going the subjective route now?  Would you consider a half dressed adult dancing suggestively in front of children and then having said children slip money into their clothing to be sexual?

Quote:Parents are historically inept when it comes to discussing topics of sexuality with their children; many avoid the topic altogether or give inadequate explanations that leaves the child still curious and desiring answers. The reason children are asking questions or seeking clarity from others is because the parents have failed to do so or the child feels uncomfortable going to them. This is why sex education is schools is so vital.

Oh my god, you literally just went the we know better than parents route.  Unless your job is specifically to discuss sexual topics, e.g. a sex-ed teacher, you should not be having those types of discussions with children.  We are discussion literal children here, no adolescents.

Quote:Are you familiar with the history of left-handedness? It's a great teaching tool in these discussions.

The instances of left handedness increased at a gradual rate, they did not explode.  If this hypothesis were true then why haven't we seen a similar rise in transgenderism among adults as we do among children/adolescents?  It's acceptable now, right?  So why aren't adults coming out as trans like Catelyn Jenner at the same rate as younger people?  If your left handed position were true then we should see similar numbers in all age ranges.  Unless your assertion is that younger people are more likely to be trans, which begs the question why?  I don't doubt for a second that there are more people who publicly identify as transgender now because of increased acceptance.  But there is zero chance that the huge upswing in younger people identifying as such compared to other age ranges is solely due to this.

Quote:As public acceptance and acknowledgement increases, so will the number of people who will be comfortable enough to state their true identity.

But largely only in children and adolescents?  Something very wrong with your logic here.

RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Belsnickel - 06-09-2023

(06-09-2023, 01:58 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You must never be on social media then, because it's rampant.  As I mentioned earlier, you can't disagree with a single issue without earning the label.  Straight man not interested in a transwoman with a penis, transphobe.  Lesbian woman not interested in a transwoman with a penis, transphobe.  Don't think biological males should compete in women's sports, transphobe.  Don't think transwomen with penises should be housed in women's prisons or stay in female only shelters, transphobe.  There's literally not one thing you can disagree with this movement about without "earning" the label.

I am on social media a fair amount. I just carefully curate my social media to avoid asshats. My social media is almost all Scout-centric, outdoorsy, local business type stuff.

RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Lucidus - 06-09-2023

(06-09-2023, 03:53 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Hmm, I find your assertion interesting, as we frequently hear about laws against drag shows being transphobic.  I'm not employing anything btw, I'm making a case against sexually charged performances for children.

I'll ask again - what do drag queens / shows have to do with the transgender ideology you claim is being pushed? The majority of queens are straight, gay or bisexual. Do you think those particular groups are also pushing an agenda? Your logic seems muddled and disjointed on this issue.

Quote:You could go on LibsofTikTok's twitter feed and find hundreds of examples.  Before you go the predictable route and dismiss the account as whatever -phob or -ist you choose you'll note that in the instances I am referring to the account is merely reposting content posted by others.

I'll post a link for those interested.  Kindly restrict yourself to the videos in question.  I am not interested in the accounts personal opinions, and in fact disagree with many of them.  I am only sharing the videos they have discovered.

https://twitter.com/libsoftiktok/media

That's a dispicable account filled with hated and misinformation, promoted by the likes of Matt Walsh and TurningPointUSA. If you have specific examples from the account, then post them and we can discuss. However, I'm not going to dig through - what I know from experience - to be a collection of vile filth.

Quote:So you're going the subjective route now?  Would you consider a half dressed adult dancing suggestively in front of children and then having said children slip money into their clothing to be sexual?

It depends on the context, which is why I asked for examples. None of what you're stating makes it objectively or intentionally sexual. Who is finding it sexually charged in your estimation - the queen, the child, the parent, all of them? Since you're opposed to the "subjective route" - please provide the objective evidence that such an instance was intended to be sexual or perceived so by those involved. Otherwise, you're simply projecting your own subjective interpretation.

Quote:Oh my god, you literally just went the we know better than parents route.  Unless your job is specifically to discuss sexual topics, e.g. a sex-ed teacher, you should not be having those types of discussions with children.  We are discussion literal children here, no adolescents.

No one went that route. You are just asserting that I did, which you have a tendency to do.

What I stated was that parents have historically done a poor job at discussing matters of a sexual nature with their children. However, I never stated that anyone knows better than the parents; but instead, that there has been a failure of parents in that regard, which is why having sexual education is so vital. 

Quote:The instances of left handedness increased at a gradual rate, they did not explode.  If this hypothesis were true then why haven't we seen a similar rise in transgenderism among adults as we do among children/adolescents?  It's acceptable now, right?  So why aren't adults coming out as trans like Catelyn Jenner at the same rate as younger people?  If your left handed position were true then we should see similar numbers in all age ranges.  Unless your assertion is that younger people are more likely to be trans, which begs the question why?  I don't doubt for a second that there are more people who publicly identify as transgender now because of increased acceptance.  But there is zero chance that the huge upswing in younger people identifying as such compared to other age ranges is solely due to this.

But largely only in children and adolescents?  Something very wrong with your logic here.

While it's more acceptable to come out as transgender, there are still very real risks to doing so. Adults are prone to be more hesitant because of their life experience, engrained fears, expectation of negative reactions. Young people will not share these concerns at the same levels or be as risk adverse in their decision making process to express their true identity. Younger people - as a generality - currently have much more accepting peer groups, better methods for finding and communicating with others like themselves and vastly improved / more widely available resources for learning about their situations.

Taking these things into account, it rather easily explains why younger people are much more likely to come out than adults, and why younger age ranges are representing that expected trend.

(06-09-2023, 04:42 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I am on social media a fair amount. I just carefully curate my social media to avoid asshats. My social media is almost all Scout-centric, outdoorsy, local business type stuff.

Probably a smart move.

(06-09-2023, 05:17 PM)Lucidus Wrote: I'll ask again - what do drag queens / shows have to do with the transgender ideology you claim is being pushed? The majority of queens are straight, gay or bisexual. Do you think those particular groups are also pushing an agenda? Your logic seems muddled and disjointed on this issue.

Again, I'll have to refer you to the people who routinely label bans on such shows transphobic.

Quote:That's a dispicable account filled with hated and misinformation, promoted by the likes of Matt Walsh and TurningPointUSA. If you have specific examples from the account, then post them and we can discuss. However, I'm not going to dig through - what I know from experience - to be a collection of vile filth.

Yeah, as I said I would avoid the posts not directly reposting other's content.  I'm honestly not interested in digging through it either, but I've seen plenty of examples in my Twitter feed.

Quote:It depends on the context, which is why I asked for examples. None of what you're stating makes it objectively or intentionally sexual. Who is finding it sexually charged in your estimation - the queen, the child, the parent, all of them? Since you're opposed to the "subjective route" - please provide the objective evidence that such an instance was intended to be sexual or perceived so by those involved. Otherwise, you're simply projecting your own subjective interpretation.

So, you don't find a scantily clad adult gyrating in front of a child who then slips money into their clothing to be sexual?

Quote:No one went that route. You are just asserting that I did, which you have a tendency to do.

Sure, it's not like you didn't just say exactly that.

Quote:What I stated was that parents have historically done a poor job at discussing matters of a sexual nature with their children. However, I never stated that anyone knows better than the parents; but instead, that there has been a failure of parents in that regard, which is why having sexual education is so vital. 

So no one knows better than the parents who historically do a poor job on this subject.  Your generalization are as broad as they are nonsensical here.

Quote:While it's more acceptable to come out as transgender, there are still very real risks to doing so. Adults are prone to be more hesitant because of their life experience, engrained fears, expectation of negative reactions. Young people will not share these concerns at the same levels or be as risk adverse in their decision making process to express their true identity. Younger people - as a generality - currently have much more accepting peer groups, better methods for finding and communicating with others like themselves and vastly improved / more widely available resources for learning about their situations.

Or, alternatively, young people are influenced by their peers and want to be seen as different or special.  It's not like acts of rebellion have been part of adolescence since adolescence has been a thing.  Do you totally discount this possibility in the rapid rise of transgenderism among younger people?  

Quote:Taking these things into account, it rather easily explains why younger people are much more likely to come out than adults, and why younger age ranges are representing that expected trend.

Do you believe the increase is solely due to a more accepting society?  I freely admit there's some truth to your position, but I strongly believe it in no way fully accounts for the dramatic increase in such a short time frame.  

RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - SunsetBengal - 06-09-2023

(06-09-2023, 05:17 PM)Lucidus Wrote: I'll ask again - what do drag queens / shows have to do with the transgender ideology you claim is being pushed? The majority of queens are straight, gay or bisexual. Do you think those particular groups are also pushing an agenda? Your logic seems muddled and disjointed on this issue.

Because the LGBTQ+ "nation" all flies under the same flag...

That's a dispicable account filled with hated and misinformation, promoted by the likes of Matt Walsh and TurningPointUSA. If you have specific examples from the account, then post them and we can discuss. However, I'm not going to dig through - what I know from experience - to be a collection of vile filth.

What's filty is people partaking in immoral activities preying on the gullible, accepting, easily influenced minds of children, in an attempt to "normalize" their behavior.

It depends on the context, which is why I asked for examples. None of what you're stating makes it objectively or intentionally sexual. Who is finding it sexually charged in your estimation - the queen, the child, the parent, all of them? Since you're opposed to the "subjective route" - please provide the objective evidence that such an instance was intended to be sexual or perceived so by those involved. Otherwise, you're simply projecting your own subjective interpretation.

Don't play coy, drag shows are an "art form" display of the alternative sexual lifestyle that the LGBTQ+ community shares, in fantasy format.

What I stated was that parents have historically done a poor job at discussing matters of a sexual nature with their children. However, I never stated that anyone knows better than the parents; but instead, that there has been a failure of parents in that regard, which is why having sexual education is so vital. 

So, you're an expert in that field, and can back this up with your countless volumes of research and peer judged writings on the topic?

While it's more acceptable to come out as transgender, there are still very real risks to doing so. Adults are prone to be more hesitant because of their life experience, engrained fears, expectation of negative reactions. Young people will not share these concerns at the same levels or be as risk adverse in their decision making process to express their true identity. Younger people - as a generality - currently have much more accepting peer groups, better methods for finding and communicating with others like themselves and vastly improved / more widely available resources for learning about their situations.

Taking these things into account, it rather easily explains why younger people are much more likely to come out than adults, and why younger age ranges are representing that expected trend.

If alternative lifestyle groups weren't working hard to present themselves toward children, how would so many children these days even know of their existence?  The adults that have lived the struggle are the ones who "know" who they are, and therefore should be the ones coming out.  As said previously, children are easily influenced and can be convinced of things weather true or not.

RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-10-2023

A very popular Call of Duty streamer is being blacklisted because he responded to a tweet about the Glendale event with the following, “leave little children alone. That’s the real issue.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/06/09/call-of-duty-removes-nickmercs-operator-skin-from-shop-after-lgbtq-comments/?sh=51756d0678c8

Interesting too, how Forbes frames this.

But that Operator has now been removed from sale in the wake of his comments in a thread posted by MLG’s Chris Puckett showing an attack by an anti-LGBTQ group on pro-LGBTQ group during Pride.

The flat out lie of this statement from a mainstream media news article is further evidence of why no one trusts the media anymore.

It is a reference to a common Republican talking point alleging that the LGBTQ community is “grooming” children by educating them about the existence of sexual and gender identity.

Is it, or is it a statement that teaching children about sexual topics in grade school is not a great idea? Dude, I spent years fighting against the gay=pedophile trope, many time on this very board (or the old one). Now the current movement is almost bending over backwards to give the accusation ammunition. This honestly really depresses me, because the LGBT movement as a whole is now being associated with some extreme beliefs and actions.

No wonder old school gay activists such as Fred Sargeant are turning away from the current movement.

RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Synric - 06-10-2023

I believe Sex Education and Sexuality are two completely different subjects. One involves facts about diseases and protection in all forms of sex. The other is individual choices that should be discussed with a parent or a professional one on one. The Curriculum would be very important.

The second and most important is funding. If this costs any kind funding the answer is absolutely no. The US education system is already under funded and we are in the middle of a world wide food shortage. Alot of these kids depend on school lunches I prefer to put my tax payer dollars there.

RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Lucidus - 06-12-2023

SunsetBengal Wrote:Because the LGBTQ+ "nation" all flies under the same flag...

Are you're implying that the LGBTQIA+ community is a monolith? Does the same apply to the heterosexual community? 

Your statement just seems rather vacuous, because the only actual unified goals of the LGBTQIA+ community are equality and acceptance.  

Quote:What's filty is people partaking in immoral activities preying on the gullible, accepting, easily influenced minds of children, in an attempt to "normalize" their behavior.

If you are truly concerned with groups that prey on children, shouldn't your real focus and outrage be targeted at straight white males? If you examine the number of actual sexual crimes committed against children by that group, compared to the LGBTQIA+ community, I'm sure you would agree that the former is far more likely to prey on children than the latter. 

Quote:Don't play coy, drag shows are an "art form" display of the alternative sexual lifestyle that the LGBTQ+ community shares, in fantasy format.

Are all performance arts a display of sexual lifestyle, or is it just drag queens? Do painters, dancers, musicians, etc., fall under this umbrella, or are drag queens just somehow unique? 

If you have a group of five drag queens -- two straight, two gay and one transgender -- what sexual lifestyle is the group displaying? 

Are heterosexuals that partake in various forms of cosplay displaying a sexual lifestyle? 

Quote:If alternative lifestyle groups weren't working hard to present themselves toward children, how would so many children these days even know of their existence?  The adults that have lived the struggle are the ones who "know" who they are, and therefore should be the ones coming out.  As said previously, children are easily influenced and can be convinced of things weather true or not.

My stance is that children should be allowed to freely become who they are without any external influences or opinions forcing them into a specific box; that also includes the pressure to be straight or binary. 

I also see no issue with children being aware of the existence of all different types of human beings. 

Quote:So, you're an expert in that field, and can back this up with your countless volumes of research and peer judged writings on the topic?

Did you apply this same criteria to yourself with your first two assertions that I quoted? It would appear you didn't since you failed to provide countless volumes of research and peer reviewed writings to back up those claims. Given that fact, would you agree that it gives the appearance of hypocrisy to ask the same of someone else?

However, if you're serious about research and delving more into the topic, I am willing to have an ongoing dialogue on the topic. 

This is a great launch point, that provides you with an incredible amount research and writings within the references:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/249807101_A_review_of_parental_involvement_in_sex_education_The_role_for_effective_communication_in_British_families

RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - SunsetBengal - 06-12-2023

(06-12-2023, 07:03 PM)Lucidus Wrote: Are you're implying that the LGBTQIA+ community is a monolith? Does the same apply to the heterosexual community? 

Your statement just seems rather vacuous, because the only actual unified goals of the LGBTQIA+ community are equality and acceptance.  

Well, they all live under the same flag, and consider themselves to be a unified voting bloc, so there is that.

If you are truly concerned with groups that prey on children, shouldn't your real focus and outrage be targeted at straight white males? If you examine the number of actual sexual crimes committed against children by that group, compared to the LGBTQIA+ community, I'm sure you would agree that the former is far more likely to prey on children than the latter. 

That's not what I said.  I said prey upon the minds of the easily influenced children in an attempt to normalize (gain acceptance) of abnormal behavior.

Are all performance arts a display of sexual lifestyle, or is it just drag queens? Do painters, dancers, musicians, etc., fall under this umbrella, or are drag queens just somehow unique? 

If you have a group of five drag queens -- two straight, two gay and one transgender -- what sexual lifestyle is the group displaying? 

Are heterosexuals that partake in various forms of cosplay displaying a sexual lifestyle? 

I was speaking specifically about events such as "drag queen story hour" and the like.  As for other types of entertainers, they are all as equally entitled to succeed or fail according to their merits, it is up to the parents to shield their children from forms of entertainment that does not represent the values which they intend to instill into them.  As for heterosexuals partaking in cosplay?  It's absolutely an expression of sexual fetish lifestyle, and should be kept to the realm of adults with mature, more fully developed minds.

My stance is that children should be allowed to freely become who they are without any external influences or opinions forcing them into a specific box; that also includes the pressure to be straight or binary. 

I also see no issue with children being aware of the existence of all different types of human beings. 

When children become adults, they are free to make their own decisions about their personality and sexuality, the entire point is that children are easily influenced minds incapable of seeing the possible bad outcomes from making permanent, life altering decisions.  That's why they are considered minors under the law, and their parents charged with their protection from harm.

Did you apply this same criteria to yourself with your first two assertions that I quoted? It would appear you didn't since you failed to provide countless volumes of research and peer reviewed writings to back up those claims. Given that fact, would you agree that it gives the appearance of hypocrisy to ask the same of someone else?

You are the one who is professing info like you're some sort of authority on the matter, I just assumed that you must be a published expert on the topics at hand.

However, if you're serious about research and delving more into the topic, I am willing to have an ongoing dialogue on the topic. 

This is a great launch point, that provides you with an incredible amount research and writings within the references:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/249807101_A_review_of_parental_involvement_in_sex_education_The_role_for_effective_communication_in_British_families

Thanks, but no thanks.  I've gathered enough information over the course of my 54 years from experiences and personal interactions and relationships with friends and family on various sides of the sexuality spectrum to have formed my own opinions.

RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - pally - 06-12-2023

Quote:Well, they all live under the same flag, and consider themselves to be a unified voting bloc, so there is that.

If that were true the Log Cabin Republicans wouldn't exist

Quote:That's not what I said.  I said prey upon the minds of the easily influenced children in an attempt to normalize (gain acceptance) of abnormal behavior.

who gets to decide "normal" just because something is normal for you does not automatically mean it is normal for another.  If every hormone and chemical signal in a child's body says gay or lesbian that is their normal. Your feelings for the opposit sex are just as perplexing to them as their feelings are to you

Quote:I was speaking specifically about events such as "drag queen story hour" and the like.  As for other types of entertainers, they are all as equally entitled to succeed or fail according to their merits, it is up to the parents to shield their children from forms of entertainment that does not represent the values which they intend to instill into them.  As for heterosexuals partaking in cosplay?  It's absolutely an expression of sexual fetish lifestyle, and should be kept to the realm of adults with mature, more fully developed minds.

The only people who sexualize drag queen story hours are right-wing adults trying to make a political point.  The children of preschool age don't see the person behind the costume. So while you are busy getting your panties in a twist over OMG a man in a dress...they see a brightly colored often glittery dress with sequins and feathers.  They see big hair and outrageous makeup.  They see the character.  And all that character is doing is sitting there reading a book to them, just like someone dressed like a super hero or a Disney princess does

Quote:When children become adults, they are free to make their own decisions about their personality and sexuality, the entire point is that children are easily influenced minds incapable of seeing the possible bad outcomes from making permanent, life altering decisions.  That's why they are considered minors under the law, and their parents charged with their protection from harm.

Serious question, did you decide you liked girls at age 18 or more likely 12-14?  You knew you liked girls early in your life and no amount of persuasion would make you suddenly like boys.  Young people know they are gay or lesbian at the same age others know they are straight.  Failure to acknowledge that isolates a child and injures their mental health.  And if you don't want outside influences affecting their decision then let's get rid of ANY relationships in media, books, art, public life, etc  Lock children in their bedrooms until they are 18 and finally expose them to other people in the outside world

It is a pretty basic idea....You can't make a gay kid straight and you can't make a straight kid gay

RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - SunsetBengal - 06-12-2023

(06-12-2023, 08:10 PM)pally Wrote: If that were true the Log Cabin Republicans wouldn't exist

That's a rather blatantly partisan comment to make.  This whole conversation the terms democrat and republican hadn't even came up, until now..

who gets to decide "normal" just because something is normal for you does not automatically mean it is normal for another.  If every hormone and chemical signal in a child's body says gay or lesbian that is their normal. Your feelings for the opposit sex are just as perplexing to them as their feelings are to you

Every one of us was born as a product of heterosexual sex.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that heterosexuality is the predominate sexuality world wide, therefore "the norm".

The only people who sexualize drag queen story hours are right-wing adults trying to make a political point.  The children of preschool age don't see the person behind the costume. So while you are busy getting your panties in a twist over OMG a man in a dress...they see a brightly colored often glittery dress with sequins and feathers.  They see big hair and outrageous makeup.  They see the character.  And all that character is doing is sitting there reading a book to them, just like someone dressed like a super hero or a Disney princess does

Why do you think that children should be exposed to alternative lifestyle persons wearing costumes?  Seems more like you just want to support "normalizing the abnormal" behavior, and perhaps encourage new, unsuspecting children to think that perhaps they could be the queen behind the costume.  If true, that's really bizarre..

Serious question, did you decide you liked girls at age 18 or more likely 12-14?  You knew you liked girls early in your life and no amount of persuasion would make you suddenly like boys.  Young people know they are gay or lesbian at the same age others know they are straight.  Failure to acknowledge that isolates a child and injures their mental health.  And if you don't want outside influences affecting their decision then let's get rid of ANY relationships in media, books, art, public life, etc  Lock children in their bedrooms until they are 18 and finally expose them to other people in the outside world

It is a pretty basic idea....You can't make a gay kid straight and you can't make a straight kid gay

I agree that you can't make a gay kid straight and vice versa, I actually have no problem with people being who they actually are or want to be.  We have a nephew who came out as gay in HS, in one of the more "redneck" towns in southern Ohio.  That didn't change how we feel or interact with him, most of the family likely knew before he even realized.  More power to him, the fact that he respected his family enough to wait until he was 17 was something that we all applauded. (he's finishing his second year at UD, and doing fantastic)  The problem that I have is that under the law, children aren't supposed to be having sex in the first place.  And I get that kids will do what they want, etc.  The problem is that we as a society have made sexuality so acceptable in pretty much every aspect of our society and culture, that now children likely are feeling pressure to become sexual beings sooner than most are mentally and emotionally developed to fully understand the point and consequences of those actions.

RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Dill - 06-13-2023

(06-09-2023, 02:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This is possible and I agree that the media will focus on the more extreme stories, for obvious reasons.  But I consume a lot of less mainstream media, both left and right, and I rarely encounter such a story regarding right wing protests.

I went on very left leaning sites and searched for college protest.  Logically one would assume that if a site is going to cover such a right wing protest it would be a far left site.  Here are the results.

I'm traveling this month, so it's not easy to respond to posts on time.

I thought the issue was which side has "demons," or "more demons," per C-Dawgs post. 

Your post #110 asked   How many left wing speakers have been attacked or prevented from speaking at college campuses?  Now, how many right leaning speakers has this happened to?  How many gay pride parades have been attacked by groups of violent protestors?  Now, how many right leaning events/protests have been attacked by groups of violent protestors?  I literally just provided the Glendale example.

The ultimate point is, and what many people here are desperate to avoid confronting, is there is extreme bullshit going on on both ends of the ideological spectrum today.  The only difference of substance is that one side is constantly excused by the mainstream and the other side is consistently demonized, see "domestic terrorist" parents at school board meetings again.  

So when I responded I wasn't thinking of right/left wing protests so much as the concept of "canceling." It's often represented as some kind of "left" phenomenon, but I think shaming someone on twitter is not as serious as denying someone jobs or firing someone--the kind of thing that often is not covered in MSM media. If one can distinguish between "radical leftists" of right wing media fame and actual leftists, I think the case can be made they are subject to greater harassment than a few very prominent right wing provocateurs. The way to determine that would not be to follow emotional or trendy news coverage, but by working through the bean counting of sites like Georgetown's Free Speech Tracker, which I linked above.

In any case, when assessing "demons," I'm not interested in lining up tit for tat "both sides do it."  At this conjuncture, what people ought to be recognizing is that one side's demons are the greater threat to civil peace and democracy--i.e., millions of Americans groomed to support a violence-inciting autocrat for president. The first ex president to face criminal charges--and the majority of one party separate his actions from their consequences to the degree they are alienated en masse from their own government. At the moment I do not see a more serious problem than that in our domestic politics. "Confronting extreme bullshit" on both sides just obscures this problem, delays recognition and so solution.

(06-09-2023, 02:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Quote:I tried your suggested Youtube experiment. I found that the "left" search and the "right" search often called up the same videos. My hesitancy about using Youtube to assess quantity is that there is no reason to suppose the number of videos breaking one way or the other corresponds to anything other than the intensity of organization of one side as opposed to the other. This is why it is important that states and the federal gov. compile data on political violence, against which we can check our impressions of the magnitude of a perceived threat.

One would think if right wing protests were occurring at anything close to the same rate that these sites would be covering them.  That there are so few stories, while certainly not definitive, certainly raise doubts as to their occurring equally, or close to equally.

The bolded offers my reasons for why youtbue searches can be good for many things, but a count of videos on protests is not likely to correlate to some actual count of protests.  The angriest or most organized or most manipulated can account for quantity there. I think right wing media and their students are much more active on such venues. Not to mention Russians.

RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - pally - 06-13-2023

Quote:If that were true the Log Cabin Republicans wouldn't exist

That's a rather blatantly partisan comment to make.  This whole conversation the terms democrat and republican hadn't even came up, until now..

You're the one who said "Well, they all live under the same flag, and consider themselves to be a unified voting bloc, so there is that."  If the LGBTQ community was a monolithic voting block a group devoted to LGBTQ Republicans wouldn't exist now would it?

Quote:Every one of us was born as a product of heterosexual sex.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that heterosexuality is the predominate sexuality worldwide, therefore "the norm".

Well, that isn't exactly true.  We are all the results of heterosexual reproduction which does not require sex to take place.  I have 4 beautiful nieces and nephews who are the biological children (mom's egg and dad's sperm) of their parents, all who were conceived in a laboratory and carried by someone other than their egg-donating mother.  Sex on the other hand can take place in any manner of forms and combinations of people.

Only 9% of the world has green eyes therefore having green eyes is abnormal which is a ridiculous statement. They simply have non-dominant DNA. App 10% or less of the population are homosexual. It means they have a different biologic makeup than you do...not that they are flawed somehow.

Quote:Why do you think that children should be exposed to alternative lifestyle persons wearing costumes?  Seems more like you just want to support "normalizing the abnormal" behavior, and perhaps encourage new, unsuspecting children to think that perhaps they could be the queen behind the costume.  If true, that's really bizarre..

So no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny?  No WhoDey? People wearing costumes.  ACTORS wearing costumes. Actors have performed in costumes for a thousand years. Children have no idea who is under the costume.  We're talking about preschoolers here.  Stop looking at it through politically biased adult eyes.  4 year olds are far more likely to say it was funny or silly than to say "That was awesome, I want to be a drag queen when I grow up"  

Quote:I agree that you can't make a gay kid straight and vice versa, I actually have no problem with people being who they actually are or want to be.  We have a nephew who came out as gay in HS, in one of the more "redneck" towns in southern Ohio.  That didn't change how we feel or interact with him, most of the family likely knew before he even realized.  More power to him, the fact that he respected his family enough to wait until he was 17 was something that we all applauded. (he's finishing his second year at UD, and doing fantastic)  The problem that I have is that under the law, children aren't supposed to be having sex in the first place.  And I get that kids will do what they want, etc.  The problem is that we as a society have made sexuality so acceptable in pretty much every aspect of our society and culture, that now children likely are feeling pressure to become sexual beings sooner than most are mentally and emotionally developed to fully understand the point and consequences of those actions.

Sex and sexuality are 2 separate things.  An LGBTQ child is actually less likely to have sex as a teenager than a heterosexual child but somehow the focus is on the gay or trans child, not the good "Christian" child wearing a purity ring running wild every chance they can get.
I feel so bad for your nephew.  He knew he was gay years before he was 17 yet unlike his heterosexual siblings or cousins, had to be "respectful" and hide who he was.  He couldn't date someone he was attracted to like every straight child.  He couldn't be himself.  That is sad.  

The world revolves around heterosexuality, yet despite that children still become homosexual or bi-sexual.  That is the reality.  Letting them know they aren't alone is not harming them or heterosexual children.  In fact, it saves lives as children/teenagers learn they are not diseased or abnormal
And in one point we agree...children shouldn't be having sex.  Children who have received comprehensive sex education are far less likely to delay having sex than a child who hasn't had a comprehensive education on sexual matters.  Give a child the tools on how to say no, how to hear no, how to protect themselves, and the REAL consequences of early sex and they use them.  Tell the child to just say no and far too often they become victims of someone else's aggressiveness, their own hormones, and their own lack of knowledge.  It is not the 1950s as much as some would like it to be.  Our children are exposed to far more than we were.  We have to give them the information they need to live in the 2020s and beyond.  Hiding it from them because we don't like it only harms them.

RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Lucidus - 06-13-2023

(06-12-2023, 07:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, they all live under the same flag, and consider themselves to be a unified voting bloc, so there is that.

You've uttered this under the same flag statement twice now, but haven't really expounded on it. For arguments sake, let's assume the LGBTQIA+ community is an absolute monolith; what do assert that necessarily follows from that conclusion?

Quote:That's not what I said.  I said prey upon the minds of the easily influenced children in an attempt to normalize (gain acceptance) of abnormal behavior.

Please explain how the LGBTQIA+ community - or even drag queens in particular - are preying upon the minds of children. I can't help but wonder why you're so focused on, and accusatory of, these communities, instead of those that do actual and demonstrable harm to children on a regular basis? 

Quote:I was speaking specifically about events such as "drag queen story hour" and the like.  As for other types of entertainers, they are all as equally entitled to succeed or fail according to their merits, it is up to the parents to shield their children from forms of entertainment that does not represent the values which they intend to instill into them.

What is it about drag queen story hours that you find detrimental to a child? 

Quote:As for heterosexuals partaking in cosplay?  It's absolutely an expression of sexual fetish lifestyle, and should be kept to the realm of adults with mature, more fully developed minds.

I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. When you see adults partaking in Marvel or Star Wars cosplay, for example, you automatically see an expression of a sexual nature?

Quote:When children become adults, they are free to make their own decisions about their personality and sexuality, the entire point is that children are easily influenced minds incapable of seeing the possible bad outcomes from making permanent, life altering decisions.  That's why they are considered minors under the law, and their parents charged with their protection from harm.

Did you start developing your personality and sexuality before or after becoming an adult? Did you become who were because it was intrinsically accurate, or because you were easily influenced

If a 10 year boy expresses to his parents that he prefers wearing dresses, should the parents allow it? If a 12 year old girl expresses to her parents that she's feeling an attraction to other girls, should the parents be supportive?

Quote:Thanks, but no thanks.  I've gathered enough information over the course of my 54 years from experiences and personal interactions and relationships with friends and family on various sides of the sexuality spectrum to have formed my own opinions.

So, when I offer writings and studies on the topic that we could examine and discuss, your response is "no thanks, I've already formed my own opinion"? Why would you not be interested in becoming more informed on the subject overall, rather than settling on anecdotal conclusions? 

RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-13-2023

(06-13-2023, 01:09 AM)Dill Wrote: I'm traveling this month, so it's not easy to respond to posts on time.

I thought the issue was which side has "demons," or "more demons," per C-Dawgs post.

No, that hasn't been the topic at hand for several posts.  We've been discussing suppression of speech and violence on college campuses. 

Quote:So when I responded I wasn't thinking of right/left wing protests so much as the concept of "canceling." It's often represented as some kind of "left" phenomenon, but I think shaming someone on twitter is not as serious as denying someone jobs or firing someone--the kind of thing that often is not covered in MSM media. If one can distinguish between "radical leftists" of right wing media fame and actual leftists, I think the case can be made they are subject to greater harassment than a few very prominent right wing provocateurs. The way to determine that would not be to follow emotional or trendy news coverage, but by working through the bean counting of sites like Georgetown's Free Speech Tracker, which I linked above.

Again, you're veering significantly off topic.  We are discussing the suppression of speech and violence on college campuses.  We are not discussing Twitter posts.

Quote:In any case, when assessing "demons," I'm not interested in lining up tit for tat "both sides do it."  At this conjuncture, what people ought to be recognizing is that one side's demons are the greater threat to civil peace and democracy--i.e., millions of Americans groomed to support a violence-inciting autocrat for president. The first ex president to face criminal charges--and the majority of one party separate his actions from their consequences to the degree they are alienated en masse from their own government. At the moment I do not see a more serious problem than that in our domestic politics. "Confronting extreme bullshit" on both sides just obscures this problem, delays recognition and so solution.

Once again you're changing the subject.  It would be totally acceptable for you to admit the obvious, that the left is far more censorious on college campuses and more prone to violence in that setting without conceding that the left has "more demons" or is more violent in general.  Your apparent refusal to stick to the subject at hand makes you look like you're avoiding it because you believe the results of that discussion won't be in your favor.  That may not be the case, but you're certainly radiating that appearance.

Quote:The bolded offers my reasons for why youtbue searches can be good for many things, but a count of videos on protests is not likely to correlate to some actual count of protests.  The angriest or most organized or most manipulated can account for quantity there. I think right wing media and their students are much more active on such venues. Not to mention Russians.

I don't disagree regarding YouTube as a source, which is why I also provided a detailed search of far left leaning media sites covering stories of right wing college protests, or college protests in general.  That they provided so few examples, literally one in the US, while covering a large number of left wing protests rather lends considerable weight to my assertion that suppression of speech and violence on college campuses is almost exclusively the purview of the far left.  The fact that you outright ignored those numerous examples in your response again gives the impression of someone running from unpalatable truths.  I'm certain you would never do that, so giving that impression must not be desirable to you.

Also, the Russians?  Seriously.  Are the Russians in the room with us right now?  

RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Lucidus - 06-13-2023

(06-13-2023, 01:09 AM)Dill Wrote: In any case, when assessing "demons," I'm not interested in lining up tit for tat "both sides do it."  At this conjuncture, what people ought to be recognizing is that one side's demons are the greater threat to civil peace and democracy--i.e., millions of Americans groomed to support a violence-inciting autocrat for president. The first ex president to face criminal charges--and the majority of one party separate his actions from their consequences to the degree they are alienated en masse from their own government. At the moment I do not see a more serious problem than that in our domestic politics. "Confronting extreme bullshit" on both sides just obscures this problem, delays recognition and so solution.

Well stated. 

To simply state that something exists or occurs on both sides is rather disingenuous unless it's also acknowledged - when demonstrable - that the frequency and severity is far more prevalent on one side. 

If two houses have grease fires in the kitchen, but one also has a gas leak, it's logically justified to call extra attention to the one that is more immediately combustible and dangerous. Saying that both houses have grease fires, and are therefore comparable situations, is ignoring the reality of the gas leak and the consequences that could follow.