Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! (/Thread-CONTRACT-FINALIZED)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - THE PISTONS - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:06 PM)TheFan Wrote: How many good QBs have ever not signed a 2nd contract with the team that drafted them? I genuinely can't even think of the last time. Drew Brees? I don't understand why people keep acting like its some miracle he did an extension with us. In Burrows life we've been an average to above average franchise. 

With the way the Bengals have historically been ran...you never know.

But, it was pretty clear for some time that this would happen.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - casear2727 - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:17 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I think he already said he was mistaken on that. It will be 7 years.

Missed that.  My bad Goose.  

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - TheFan - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:13 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Give it a rest, dude. You’re like a little girl. No one wanted him to go to Cincinnati because of history repeating itself. Protect the guy and no one will have issues, but it was looking like the Bengals were going to ruin a brilliant QB, like what’s happened in the past. It almost did happen and you know it. That’s the reputation, and I hate to break it to you, but it’s deserved. 

Yea, because you're basing your opinion on people like Colin Cowherd like a turd. Palmer and Dalton both played behind great lines. Palmer was a great QB who got derailed by fluke injuries like a torn ACL, which wasn't the faul of Oline, and an elbow injury. Dalton was a slightly above average QB who got propped up with good weapons and a great Oline. 

Bengals are in the top half of the league in playoff appearances since 2000, before Burrow was even drafted.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - TKUHL - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 09:39 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: There was an article today talking about how a Higgins deal isn’t expected anytime soon, and that he/his agent are waiting for Jefferson/Lamb to set the market. I personally don’t believe he will be here long term.

By the way we’ve been drafting. Could the two WR’s we drafted be Higs/Boyd’s replacements

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - NUGDUKWE - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:06 PM)TheFan Wrote: How many good QBs have ever not signed a 2nd contract with the team that drafted them? I genuinely can't even think of the last time. Drew Brees? I don't understand why people keep acting like its some miracle he did an extension with us. In Burrows life we've been an average to above average franchise. 

I don't think anyone is thinking it's a miracle he signed. It was taken as a guarantee that he would be signed. It was just a matter of when, it would make the most sense for the team to do it this year and we were just getting to the deadline to make it happen this year.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Joelist - 09-07-2023

Historically the Bengals could be faulted for not getting the finishing pieces for potentially excellent squads and then they declined over time (happened to both Palmer and Dalton). That behavior has been completely changed since Zac came as we have been playing the offseason far more aggressively not just in keeping our own but in bringing in actual first tier talent to keep building the team.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - SouthernFan - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:19 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Missed that.  My bad Goose.  

Me too. Deleted my post as soon as i saw KG’s additional posts. Apologies guys.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - NUGDUKWE - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:22 PM)TKUHL Wrote: By the way we’ve been drafting. Could the two WR’s we drafted be Higs/Boyd’s replacements

Charlie Jones maybe Boyd at least with how we've used him since Burrow essentially. Yoshi I don't think so and certainly not for awhile. But there has been so many good 2nd WR that I think we could find another one if we have to.

(09-07-2023, 11:12 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Favre
Eli Manning
Elway
Steve Young

You just named people basically before he was even born lol 

Young came from the USFL, Farve wasn't a good QB before he left for GB, and Manning only ever played for the Giants. 

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - psychdoctor - 09-07-2023

I wish the contract was longer but 7 years is good. This is awesome!

(09-07-2023, 11:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: With the way the Bengals have historically been ran...you never know.

Okay, historically when have they not paid good QBs? In Burrows life they gave Palmer top dollar and paid Dalton good money. 

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - bfine32 - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:26 PM)TheFan Wrote: You just named people basically before he was even born lol 

Young came from the USFL, Farve wasn't a good QB before he left for GB, and Manning only ever played for the Giants. 

Yeah, his examples were lame, but mine was awesome. 

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - TheLeonardLeap - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: With the way the Bengals have historically been ran...you never know.

Mike Brown has never had a problem paying his QB and #1 WR.

Sounds about right of a deal for Burrow, if an extra $1-2m/yr more than I was expecting. Didn't think we'd see another 10 year deal, and didn't think he'd be taking some huge magical discount. Glad they got it done before the season started, well done to the FO handling what needed to be handled. Next offseason it's going to be Chase getting 5yr/$160m or so.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - 007BengalsFan - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:22 PM)TKUHL Wrote: By the way we’ve been drafting. Could the two WR’s we drafted be Higs/Boyd’s replacements

Nothing I have seen from Jones and Iosivas make me think they can take over for Higgins and Boyd at this point in time.  Higgins and Boyd are just at another level right now.  Could Jones and Iosivas improve?  Certainly.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - LSUfaninTN - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:20 PM)TheFan Wrote: Yea, because you're basing your opinion on people like Colin Cowherd like a turd. Palmer and Dalton both played behind great lines. Palmer was a great QB who got derailed by fluke injuries like a torn ACL, which wasn't the faul of Oline, and an elbow injury. Dalton was a slightly above average QB who got propped up with good weapons and a great Oline. 

Bengals are in the top half of the league in playoff appearances since 2000, before Burrow was even drafted.

That “very good OL” gave up 40 sacks that year. The OL was really bad Burrow’s first year. The only reason he didn’t take a permanent drop off is because he was young enough for that injury to not be a permanent setback. Maybe the QB killer narrative is overblown, but Palmer did go on to have a career year right after he was traded.

Also. Top half of the league in playoff appearances is literally average and is not relevant to any point I made.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 09-07-2023

Cannot comment until the details are known. I am not a cap wizard, but I'd be shocked if the 5th year option got voided. Why would the team do that? Forfeiting a year of control? Makes no sense to me.

As for Tee, if indeed Burrow's deal doesn't kick in until 2025 (aside from the signing bonus being pro-rated in, if that is the case, unsure how that works), the immediate impact will be negligible. Going forward, it will mean some tough decisions.

The most obvious place to save is RT. Jonah makes $12.5 mil, and is on an expiring deal. Collins has an $6.667 mil cap hit next year, and we could save $7 mil by releasing him. It is an extremely deep tackle draft. Losing at least one seems a given. Both wouldxsave nearly $20 mil. How Smith/Carman progress, and how Jonah/Collins play will impact it.

Second is WR with Boyd at $10 mil. Jones/Iosivas need to step up first, though.

Chido makes $8 mil and Turner is waiting in the wings.

Mixon makes $8.4 and Brown is waiting in the wings. Though we'd only save $5.750 mil in 2024 by waiving him.

Reader at $15 mil is the other obvious candidate. No one in the wings there.

(09-07-2023, 11:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, his examples were lame, but mine was awesome. 

Sorry, I hadn't got to that reply yet lol That was a good example, and more recent than my Brees one. My only argument would be Washington literally I'd a dumpster fire organization and probably one of the most negatively viewed in the league. Plus the way they treated him before leaving was so poor and I'm not sure they even offered him a deal after the tags ran out. 

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Johnny Cupcakes - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:31 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: That “very good OL” gave up 40 sacks that year. The OL was really bad Burrow’s first year. The only reason he didn’t take a permanent drop off is because he was young enough for that injury to not be a permanent setback. Maybe the QB killer narrative is overblown, but Palmer did go on to have a career year right after he was traded.

Also. Top half of the league in playoff appearances is literally average and is not relevant to any point I made.

I’m not completely sure what you ladies are ninnying about, but Carson Palmer had a career year 5 years after he was traded from the Bengals.

Why is this thread full of arguments? What a weird reaction.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Truck_1_0_1_ - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:26 PM)TheFan Wrote: You just named people basically before he was even born lol 

Hey, you're the one that qualified the criteria...

I do agree with you, BTW lol

And Manning was drafted by the Chargers!

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - 007BengalsFan - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:20 PM)TheFan Wrote: Yea, because you're basing your opinion on people like Colin Cowherd like a turd. Palmer and Dalton both played behind great lines. Palmer was a great QB who got derailed by fluke injuries like a torn ACL, which wasn't the faul of Oline, and an elbow injury. Dalton was a slightly above average QB who got propped up with good weapons and a great Oline. 

True, the Bengals had several top 10 ranked offensive lines with both Palmer and Dalton at QB.  I posted a thread on that a few months back.