Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
It's Draft Time: Impeachment Edition - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: It's Draft Time: Impeachment Edition (/Thread-It-s-Draft-Time-Impeachment-Edition)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - xxlt - 04-03-2017

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/senate-intelligence-committee-rejects-immunity-michael-flynn-n741061

Move along! Nothing to see here! Don "King" has told the press to stop talking about Russia, so there can't be anything Americans should know. Another fake news story, just like Watergate.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - xxlt - 05-10-2017

https://www.yahoo.com/news/betting-odds-trump-impeachment-jump-comey-firing-204030599.html

From the article:

"The shocking news drew immediate comparisons to former President Richard Nixon's dismissal of the independent Watergate investigator Archibald Cox in 1973. Nixon resigned the following year after a congressional panel voted for impeachment.

By Wednesday, the odds for a Trump impeachment during his first term had risen from 2/1 to 4/6, representing a 60 percent chance, according to Lewis Davey, a spokesman for the Irish betting site Paddy Power."

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-10-2017

(05-10-2017, 10:23 PM)xxlt Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/news/betting-odds-trump-impeachment-jump-comey-firing-204030599.html

From the article:

"The shocking news drew immediate comparisons to former President Richard Nixon's dismissal of the independent Watergate investigator Archibald Cox in 1973. Nixon resigned the following year after a congressional panel voted for impeachment.

By Wednesday, the odds for a Trump impeachment during his first term had risen from 2/1 to 4/6, representing a 60 percent chance, according to Lewis Davey, a spokesman for the Irish betting site Paddy Power."

I'm not commenting on the firing, the motive for the firing or anything to do with Trump.

It is amusing that the Democrats that have been howling for Comey's blood are now howling that he's been fired.   The hysteria and hyperbole in today's politics are at 11, it's ***** unwatchable.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - hollodero - 05-10-2017

(05-10-2017, 10:48 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm not commenting on the firing, the motive for the firing or anything to do with Trump.

It is amusing that the Democrats that have been howling for Comey's blood are now howling that he's been fired.   The hysteria and hyperbole in today's politics are at 11, it's ***** unwatchable.

Nope, that is not a fair assessment of what the Democrats are doing and you're oversimplifying that.
Main reason: The chronology of events.
You can't (at least I think so) possibly think the whole Russia story is just "fake news", merely an insubstantial media invention. Never mind possible exaggeration, it has some true serious roots, Michael Flynn alone (and it's not him alone) justifies the attention. The warnings of many current or former members of CIA, FBI, NSA justify it. The Russia connections deserve being looked into, this is not a partisan stance. You have to be deeply partisan to see that differently.
So after Comey confirmed there was an investigation going on, the whole picture changed dramatically. 

Especially after that, Democrats sure did not ask Trump to fire the guy investigating him. You can see that as partisan change of heart, but it's also just a logical one. Whatever they asked before (which was resignation, which is something different than being fired by the president, but whatever) can't seriously be held against them now. It's gotten a completely different flavor under completely different circumstances. To not acknowledge that is just intellectual dishonesty.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - Dill - 05-11-2017

(05-10-2017, 11:39 PM)hollodero Wrote:  It's gotten a completely different flavor under completely different circumstances.

The flavor got even spicier today as Trump brought the Russian Ambassador and foreign minister into the Oval Office with him today--along with a TASS reporter whom they didn't know was a TASS reporter.  Alarms all over the INTEL community about this.

Meantime, when a reporter asks Tillerson about the Comey firing, the Russian minister mocks her--exactly as he would Russian reporter.

(05-10-2017, 10:23 PM)xxlt Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/news/betting-odds-trump-impeachment-jump-comey-firing-204030599.html

From the article:

Just heard a news report that Trump was shouting at the tv when watching Comey testify. He apparently went around Priebus and Bannon, who seem to have found out about the firing after the fact.

I wonder what those odds will be two days from now, as the pressure builds on Trump and he lashes out in some new, unpredictable direction, leaving his advisors confused and trembling.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-11-2017

(05-10-2017, 11:39 PM)hollodero Wrote: Nope, that is not a fair assessment of what the Democrats are doing and you're oversimplifying that.
You can't (at least I think so) possibly think the whole Russia story is just "fake news", merely an insubstantial media invention. Never mind possible exaggeration, it has some true serious roots, Michael Flynn alone (and it's not him alone) justifies the attention. The warnings of many current or former members of CIA, FBI, NSA justify it. The Russia connections deserve being looked into, this is not a partisan stance. You have to be deeply partisan to see that differently.
So after Comey confirmed there was an investigation going on, the whole picture changed dramatically. 

Especially after that, Democrats sure did not ask Trump to fire the guy investigating him. You can see that as partisan change of heart, but it's also just a logical one. Whatever they asked before (which was resignation, which is something different than being fired by the president, but whatever) can't seriously be held against them now. It's gotten a completely different flavor under completely different circumstances. To not acknowledge that is just intellectual dishonesty.

I beg to differ, sir.  Democrats have been accusing Comey of costing Hillary the election since 11/09/17 and have been howling for his blood.  You don't get to throw it in reverse for thirst now simply because Trump fired him.  Let me ask you this, if there is a real Russian connection, actual solid proof that Trump colluded with Russia to steal the US presidency, do you really think firing Comey, now, prevents that from ultimate discovery?  I would argue that to believe this is the height of naivete.  The Trump campaign has been under investigation for its alleged ties to Russia since long before election day, no solid proof has yet to be provided.  Is your assertion really that Comey's removal is the linchpin in assuring that such evidence is never procured?

In summation, it is absolutely a fair assessment.  Yesterday's howl for the scaffold has turned into today's cries for martyrdom.  You make the accusation of intellectual dishonesty, allow me to suggest that you have succumbed to the same malady of which you accuse others.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - xxlt - 05-11-2017

(05-10-2017, 11:39 PM)hollodero Wrote: Nope, that is not a fair assessment of what the Democrats are doing and you're oversimplifying that.

Welcome to the P&R forum, you must be new here.

(05-11-2017, 12:43 AM)Dill Wrote: The flavor got even spicier today as Trump brought the Russian Ambassador and foreign minister into the Oval Office with him today--along with a TASS reporter whom they didn't know was a TASS reporter.  Alarms all over the INTEL community about this.

Meantime, when a reporter asks Tillerson about the Comey firing, the Russian minister mocks her--exactly as he would Russian reporter.

Not to mention the meeting was closed to American press but allowed Russian press, not to mention Info Wars has a White House press credential... and the strategy is working. Everyday I here people say, "I don't know who to believe." As incredibly ignorant as Trump is about so many things, Bannon et al did a good job of schooling him up on the Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda. He probably could kill not one but several people in broad daylight in New York with no repercussions. As Neil Young said, "But there's no need to worry. There's no reason to fuss. Just go about your work now. And leave the driving to us."

(05-11-2017, 02:25 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I beg to differ, sir.  Democrats have been accusing Comey of costing Hillary the election since 11/09/17 and have been howling for his blood.  You don't get to throw it in reverse for thirst now simply because Trump fired him.  Let me ask you this, if there is a real Russian connection, actual solid proof that Trump colluded with Russia to steal the US presidency, do you really think firing Comey, now, prevents that from ultimate discovery?  I would argue that to believe this is the height of naivete.  The Trump campaign has been under investigation for its alleged ties to Russia since long before election day, no solid proof has yet to be provided.  Is your assertion really that Comey's removal is the linchpin in assuring that such evidence is never procured?

In summation, it is absolutely a fair assessment.  Yesterday's howl for the scaffold has turned into today's cries for martyrdom.  You make the accusation of intellectual dishonesty, allow me to suggest that you have succumbed to the same malady of which you accuse others.

Trump did it - of course it is the height of naivete! Have you not paid attention at all? He doesn't understand the Constitution, domestic policy, foreign policy, media relations, negotiations... he understands one thing - his prime directive, which is to do anything and everything he can to get himself more money - that's it!

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - GMDino - 05-11-2017

(05-11-2017, 07:17 AM)xxlt Wrote: Trump did it - of course it is the height of naivete! Have you not paid attention at all? He doesn't understand the Constitution, domestic policy, foreign policy, media relations, negotiations... he understands one thing - his prime directive, which is to do anything and everything he can to get himself more money - that's it!

And he's surrounded himself with like minded people who would never tell him "no".

He is running the government like a business.  Sadly it's HIS business so that means family and "trusted advisors" which translates into people who want his money and yes men.

Edit: btw, this is EXACTLY as sane people saw him. Ego-maniacal and prone to fits of 5 year old level tantrums.

Nothing says confidence like, well, this:

Sean Spicer ‘spent several minutes hidden in the bushes’

Quote:There are plenty of popular political television shows set in Washington, D.C. – “Scandal,” “House of Cards,” “Madam Secretary,” etc. – and for people who’ve never worked in Beltway politics, it’s only natural to wonder which shows best capture real life.

The answer, of course, is “Veep.” In fact, it’s not even a close call.

Last night at the White House, for example, Press Secretary Sean Spicer didn’t seem altogether prepared for reporters’ questions about his boss firing the FBI director for reasons that don’t make sense. The Washington Post captured the scene:

Quote:After Spicer spent several minutes hidden in the bushes behind these sets, Janet Montesi, an executive assistant in the press office, emerged and told reporters that Spicer would answer some questions, as long as he was not filmed doing so. Spicer then emerged.

“Just turn the lights off. Turn the lights off,” he ordered. “We’ll take care of this…. Can you just turn that light off?”

Spicer got his wish and was soon standing in near darkness between two tall hedges, with more than a dozen reporters closely gathered around him. For 10 minutes, he responded to a flurry of questions, vacillating between light-hearted asides and clear frustration with getting the same questions over and over again.

Let that sink in for a minute: the chief spokesperson for the president of the United States hid in the bushes, only to emerge after journalists agreed to talk to him in “near darkness.”

If we saw this on HBO, we’d laugh at the absurdity. Knowing that it happened in reality, it’s a lot less funny.

The Washington Post recently added “democracy dies in darkness” to its masthead. I had no idea that would turn out to be so literal.

I almost put this in the "Not the Onion" thread....

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/sean-spicer-spent-several-minutes-hidden-the-bushes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/05/10/as-trump-fired-comey-his-staff-scrambled-to-explain-why/?utm_term=.008c2aa33e19

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - hollodero - 05-11-2017

(05-11-2017, 02:25 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I beg to differ, sir.

Oh no, why wouldn't you simply change your mind completely because some austrian arse says something? I'm so disappointed.

(05-11-2017, 02:25 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Democrats have been accusing Comey of costing Hillary the election since 11/09/17 and have been howling for his blood.  You don't get to throw it in reverse for thirst now simply because Trump fired him.

If he did it at the begin, no one would have. The "simply" part is not so much about him getting fired, it's about him getting fired right after the Russia investigation obvioulsy picked up pace.

(05-11-2017, 02:25 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Let me ask you this, if there is a real Russian connection, actual solid proof that Trump colluded with Russia to steal the US presidency, do you really think firing Comey, now, prevents that from ultimate discovery? I would argue that to believe this is the height of naivete.

I don't know... my guess would be, neither does Trump. He's surprisingly ignorant. It's not what I believe, in this case it's what he might believe.

(05-11-2017, 02:25 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The Trump campaign has been under investigation for its alleged ties to Russia since long before election day, no solid proof has yet to be provided.  Is your assertion really that Comey's removal is the linchpin in assuring that such evidence is never procured?

It really is. Being more precise, it's the line of thinking I can see behind the firing. It's the only thing making sense. All the White House explanation don't do that.

(05-11-2017, 02:25 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: In summation, it is absolutely a fair assessment.  Yesterday's howl for the scaffold has turned into today's cries for martyrdom.  You make the accusation of intellectual dishonesty, allow me to suggest that you have succumbed to the same malady of which you accuse others.

You can suggest what you want, it's just that I laid out my line of thinking (you didn't, you just defended and blamed) and they are not fueled by partisanship, but by reason that seems solid to me. So you can't really call me intellectually dishonest, you'd have to call me stupid. Fair enough, but just to keep the terminology straight. Big difference.

As for Russia, nope no solid proof yet, but solid evidence about contacts, about Flynn not being properly vetted (or Russia/Turkey ties simply weren't cause for worry, which seems more likely), lying attorney generals, foreign agents, Carter Page and Paul Manafort, the FBI investigation. Warnings from FBI, CIA, NSA leaders - they're all partisan hacks to you? Nope there is so much there that a thorough investigation is more than justified. If you disagree with that, I accuse you in return of simply not caring about it. Then Trump were right, if he started shooting people on open street you'd just go "Hillary killed Americans in Benghazi, now Democrats are fake outraged about killing". You wouldn't care if he committed crimes, violated ethics and whatnot, you would be all for sweeping it under the rug, for it's Trump! A non-democrat! That's all that seems to matter to you. You go party over country here. J'accuse!

Let me ask you one question in return. Why do you even care about Democrats in the first place. Without asking the far more important question - why Trumps sudden change of heart? At exactly this time? Because here's what's open to see. An intensifying investigation, an FBI director asking for new ressources. And a president and investigation target who in response - fires him. And people like you cheering and applauding him for that. I ask imploringly: Can't you see how flat-out bizarre that cheering looks from the outside? That you're not the least troubled? Not the least curious what's behind that gathering of strangehoods?

(05-11-2017, 07:17 AM)xxlt Wrote: Trump did it - of course it is the height of naivete! Have you not paid attention at all? He doesn't understand the Constitution, domestic policy, foreign policy, media relations, negotiations... he understands one thing - his prime directive, which is to do anything and everything he can to get himself more money - that's it!

In my very first post in this thread I took great pains to point out that I was not commenting on the merits of the Comey firing, merely pointing out the Dems insanely hypocritical reaction to it.

(05-11-2017, 08:42 AM)hollodero Wrote: Oh no, why wouldn't you simply change your mind completely because some austrian arse says something? I'm so disappointed.

Not quite sure why you felt the need for such sarcasm, but ok.

Quote:If he did it at the begin, no one would have. The "simply" part is not so much about him getting fired, it's about him getting fired right after the Russia investigation obvioulsy picked up pace.

Do you really believe this?  I certainly don't, you'd hear the exact same arguments being made then that you do now, "Trump fired Comey to cover up Russia collusion!"

Quote:I don't know... my guess would be, neither does Trump. He's surprisingly ignorant. It's not what I believe, in this case it's what he might believe.

So you admit your position on this issue is based on 100% speculation of what you believe to be in Trump's head.  This is an odd admission given your claim later in this post.

Quote:It really is. Being more precise, it's the line of thinking I can see behind the firing. It's the only thing making sense. All the White House explanation don't do that.

I'll ask more directly, how will Comey's firing prohibit the investigation into the Trump campaigns alleged Russian ties?  An investigation that has been ongoing for around a year.

Quote:You can suggest what you want, it's just that I laid out my line of thinking (you didn't, you just defended and blamed) and they are not fueled by partisanship, but by reason that seems solid to me. So you can't really call me intellectually dishonest, you'd have to call me stupid. Fair enough, but just to keep the terminology straight. Big difference.

Above, in this very post, you admitted that this is all speculation on your part.  That's fine and fair enough.  However, it doesn't exactly jive with your insult that all I am doing is blaming and deflecting.  I didn't call you stupid, I didn't even imply it.  Intellectual dishonesty is not synonymous with stupidity.  I am giving my opinion on the subject, the same as you.  I feel the reaction is hypocritical and hysterical.  You feel differently.  We have both explained our positions.  

Quote:As for Russia, nope no solid proof yet, but solid evidence about contacts, about Flynn not being properly vetted (or Russia/Turkey ties simply weren't cause for worry, which seems more likely), lying attorney generals, foreign agents, Carter Page and Paul Manafort, the FBI investigation. Warnings from FBI, CIA, NSA leaders - they're all partisan hacks to you? Nope there is so much there that a thorough investigation is more than justified. If you disagree with that, I accuse you in return of simply not caring about it. Then Trump were right, if he started shooting people on open street you'd just go "Hillary killed Americans in Benghazi, now Democrats are fake outraged about killing". You wouldn't care if he committed crimes, violated ethics and whatnot, you would be all for sweeping it under the rug, for it's Trump! A non-democrat! That's all that seems to matter to you. You go party over country here. J'accuse!

Calm down, you're sounding very American here.  I'm not anti-Democrat anymore than I am pro-Republican.  What I am is anti hypocrisy and hysteria, which I pointed out abounds on both sides of the aisle in today's political climate.  There is a disturbing trend on this board to label any point made about this as being unabashedly pro-Trump.  I suppose the, "you're either with us or against us" line is now ok.  It certainly wasn't when W uttered it.  I'll reiterate my point on the above, the Russia investigation will continue despite Comey's firing.  If there is evidence of collusion do you really think the Dems will rest until they find it?

Quote:Let me ask you one question in return. Why do you even care about Democrats in the first place.

That's an easy one.  The tone of political discourse in my country makes me want to vomit.  Both sides are ramping up the rhetoric and show no signs of letting up.  I mention the Dems in this thread because they are the ones engaging in it the most heavily, likely because they are the minority party.  You tend to care less about government excess when you're the one pulling the strings.

Quote:Without asking the far more important question - why Trumps sudden change of heart? At exactly this time? Because here's what's open to see. An intensifying investigation, an FBI director asking for new ressources.

I don't know any more than you do.  The guy is mercurial and prone to rash decision making.

Quote:And a president and investigation target who in response - fires him. And people like you cheering and applauding him for that.

Here's the intellectual dishonesty again (note I did not call you stupid).  In no way shape or form did I cheer the firing.  In fact, I took great pains to point out I wasn't commenting on the merits of the firing at all in this thread.  Yet, despite it being so plainly stated you somehow formed this, utterly erroneous, opinion.  You're either with us or you're with the terrorists amirite?

Quote:I ask imploringly: Can't you see how flat-out bizarre that cheering looks from the outside? That you're not the least troubled? Not the least curious what's behind that gathering of strangehoods?

What I find bizarre is that you heard any cheering at all in my posts.  Seriously, it saddens me.  Remember to toe the party line kids.  Any statements not fully steeped in ideological purity will be considered pro-Trump!  I will consider myself warned.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - hollodero - 05-11-2017

(05-11-2017, 10:55 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: In my very first post in this thread I took great pains to point out that I was not commenting on the merits of the Comey firing, merely pointing out the Dems insanely hypocritical reaction to it.

Yeah, you're right. Hard to separate though.

(05-11-2017, 10:55 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Not quite sure why you felt the need for such sarcasm, but ok.

Wasn't directed against you. I would expect no one to be persuaded by me. In fact, I'd have a hard time if anyone actually did.

(05-11-2017, 10:55 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: So you admit your position on this issue is based on 100% speculation of what you believe to be in Trump's head.  This is an odd admission given your claim later in this post.

Yes, I freely admit that, it's the truth. I don't know exactly, maybe the Ghost of election past really persuaded Trump that Hillary was treated badly by Comey and needs to be revenged. I just think that or similar explanations are quite unlikely, and it's reasonable to believe that the uber-obvious explanation is the most likely one. My point would be, even if you disagree, you have to give that some consideration if you're serious about it.

And what really happens with the investigation is not a good counterpoint. Trump doesn't need to know that. There are tons of signs he doesn't know too much.

(05-11-2017, 10:55 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Above, in this very post, you admitted that this is all speculation on your part.  That's fine and fair enough.  However, it doesn't exactly jive with your insult that all I am doing is blaming and deflecting.  I didn't call you stupid, I didn't even imply it.  Intellectual dishonesty is not synonymous with stupidity.  I am giving my opinion on the subject, the same as you.  I feel the reaction is hypocritical and hysterical.  You feel differently.  We have both explained our positions.

That's right. I never intended to insult you. I just don't sugercoat my opinion. For the rest, see my paragraph above. Sorry for not addressing every point, but debates get very exhausting when splitted up too much. Here's the point I think is important: I said intellectual dishonesty, because I do not think you're stupid, that's the exact point. There's a part of you that knows exactly that you deliberately ignored the chronology of events to make a fuzz about Democrat's behavious. And yet you chose to follow through with that flawed line of logic to take a partisan stance. I can not wrap my head around that. What you said to me here has some merit and I tend to think about things, if I overdid it and offended you it was not my intention, just if I underdo it I get no responses usually, and I wanted one. But I addressed you as kind of a substitute for the FOX crowd, and that wasn't entirely fair. Sorry for that.

If you allow me to put things in my perspective: Your president just fired the FBI director that led an investigation against him. That sentence is factually correct, and it alone demands attention. The fact that it was out of the blue and immediately before the surprising act, said director requested more funds for the investigation that obvioulsy caught steam, adds to the smelly picture. You can't ignore this smell without showing deep bias, you simply can't, considering all circumstances. Democrats play no role in that smelly picture, to focus on them is the wrong reaction, and I'm astonished you can not see this point entirely. Even if they were the most awful hacks (which in general they probably are, in this case I think that's not fair to say, but even if), what does it matter? Why the mention? Trump mentions them out of deflection, just why do you follow his lead there. Using a very flawed narrative of left-wing hypocrisy, which honestly does sound a bit hysteric too. I don't get that.

(05-11-2017, 11:40 AM)hollodero Wrote: That's right. I never intended to insult you. I just don't sugercoat my opinion. For the rest, see my paragraph above. Sorry for not addressing every point, but debates get very exhausting when splitted up too much. Here's the point I think is important: I said intellectual dishonesty, because I do not think you're stupid, that's the exact point. There's a part of you that knows exactly that you deliberately ignored the chronology of events to make a fuzz about Democrat's behavious. And yet you chose to follow through with that flawed line of logic to take a partisan stance. I can not wrap my head around that. 

ThumbsUp

(05-11-2017, 08:42 AM)hollodero Wrote: If he did it at the begin, no one would have. The "simply" part is not so much about him getting fired, it's about him getting fired right after the Russia investigation obvioulsy picked up pace.

It really is. Being more precise, it's the line of thinking I can see behind the firing. It's the only thing making sense. All the White House explanation don't do that.

As for Russia, nope no solid proof yet, but solid evidence about contacts, about Flynn not being properly vetted (or Russia/Turkey ties simply weren't cause for worry, which seems more likely), lying attorney generals, foreign agents, Carter Page and Paul Manafort, the FBI investigation. Warnings from FBI, CIA, NSA leaders - they're all partisan hacks to you?

I'm puzzled by the "no solid proof" claim as well--what a strange pattern of coincidences, accompanied by denials and clumsy firings.  Imagine a police chief in a small American town is investigating connections between the mayor's staff and a major drug dealer. The mayor fires the police chief because of behavior praised six months earlier and insists the department has lost confidence in him (though a letter from the rank and file states the opposite). When the city prosecutor wants to look at the mayor's bank account, he is fired too and local press is up in arms. Then a citizen who claims to be non-partisan steps up and, not commenting on the Mayor's actions of course, finds all those objecting to the mayors behavior to be "partisan." Just a firing after all, and no proof of any wrongdoing.

And certainly, firing Comey could affect the Russia investigation, along with the White House withholding documents. Trump can appoint someone who begins to incrementally shut down the investigation, restricting resources, eventually declaring nothing there. Republican ownership of the Senate, House and presidency makes this especially troubling--so few checks remain in place.  The only real check now is pressure on congressmen and senators from their constituents, aided by the "lying" press and leakers.

Not so easy. Polls record significant numbers of Trumpsters believe the Russia investigation is a total hoax. They believe Trump over the FBI and CIA and other intel organizations. When you are in that groupthink, the rukus over the Comey firing is not driven by angry recognition of a genuine threat to national security abetted by abuse of presidential power, but Democrats butthurt over a lost election. So in that mix, people are not a whit interested in sorting out the Russia problem. Democrats behavior, unconnected to any actual threat internal or external, is the real issue.

You probably don't get talk radio over in Austria, but here the right wing media daily repeats the claim the investigation has turned up "no solid evidence"--like we would be getting daily reports during an ongoing investigation--as the web of circumstance deepens and tightens weekly. The last two days the drumbeat has been "liberal hypocrisy"--as if people upset that Comey broke protocol and threw the election six months ago should now be happy that he is impulsively fired just as he steps up the Russia investigation. People who drove the Benghazi witch hunt for two years and seven separate investigations have had enough of liberal hypocrisy and want all agencies and committees to focus on the real problem--the leakers who exposed the Russia connections.

(05-11-2017, 11:40 AM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah, you're right. Hard to separate though.

It really shouldn't be though.  Democrats have been calling for Comey's firing since the letter was sent to Congress detailing the reopening of the Hillary e-mail investigation.  The fact that many are lamenting it now is crazy hypocrisy.

Quote:Wasn't directed against you. I would expect no one to be persuaded by me. In fact, I'd have a hard time if anyone actually did.

Anyone should be open to persuasion by a cogent, logical and fact based argument.  Your posts are very good, people should be subject to persuasion by them.

Quote:Yes, I freely admit that, it's the truth. I don't know exactly, maybe the Ghost of election past really persuaded Trump that Hillary was treated badly by Comey and needs to be revenged. I just think that or similar explanations are quite unlikely, and it's reasonable to believe that the uber-obvious explanation is the most likely one. My point would be, even if you disagree, you have to give that some consideration if you're serious about it.

And what really happens with the investigation is not a good counterpoint. Trump doesn't need to know that. There are tons of signs he doesn't know too much.

The plain truth is that with a guy like Trump it could literally be anything.  Ivanka may have dropped a comment about how Comey should go, or someone else whom he trusts said something.  Trump strikes me as a guy whose opinion of you can change on a dime if the right person pours poison in his ear.  I just think that if Trump were really concerned about Comey's investigation into Russia he would have fired him upon taking office when he had a much better smokescreen for his true motives.  Doing it now, for Russia reasons, would be like declaring it in neon.  It just doesn't make sense.  While Trump is mercurial he's not surrounded by total simpletons. 

Quote:That's right. I never intended to insult you. I just don't sugercoat my opinion. For the rest, see my paragraph above. Sorry for not addressing every point, but debates get very exhausting when splitted up too much. Here's the point I think is important: I said intellectual dishonesty, because I do not think you're stupid, that's the exact point. There's a part of you that knows exactly that you deliberately ignored the chronology of events to make a fuzz about Democrat's behavious. And yet you chose to follow through with that flawed line of logic to take a partisan stance.

I'm not blind to the potentials, I just don't think the argument has nearly as much merit to it as the Dems do.  I don't think my point is partisan at all.  In the sense that the Dems are currently the ones engaging in hypocritical histrionics I suppose one could try and make the point that I am biased against them.  However, when the GOP engages in the same behavior I'll call that out to, and have for years on both this board and the old one.  The unfortunate truth is that some people around here demand absolute ideological lockstep purity.  If you don't agree with them on every point of every issue then you're with the enemy.  Real life is much more nuanced than that, you just would never realize it by the political discourse in this country right now.  Note I've made this point about both sides in the very thread.

Quote:I can not wrap my head around that. What you said to me here has some merit and I tend to think about things, if I overdid it and offended you it was not my intention, just if I underdo it I get no responses usually, and I wanted one. But I addressed you as kind of a substitute for the FOX crowd, and that wasn't entirely fair. Sorry for that.

I don't get offended by anything on the internets.  I will take exception to people who make inane claims or constantly deride my profession, but pointing out that this is being done is not my being offended, it's my pointing out reality.  Note I am not accusing you of doing either thing.  No worries though and thank you for the apology, I was a little worried you had gone over to the dark side for a moment.

Quote:If you allow me to put things in my perspective: Your president just fired the FBI director that led an investigation against him. That sentence is factually correct, and it alone demands attention. The fact that it was out of the blue and immediately before the surprising act, said director requested more funds for the investigation that obvioulsy caught steam, adds to the smelly picture.

It absolutely does, but it also leads me to believe that the firing wasn't motivated by that.  If it was it was so blatantly obvious that a child could see through it.  Trump is not stupid, he is also not surrounded by people who are stupid.  If he was worried about the Russia investigation he could have fired Comey long ago with way more cover for doing so.

Quote:You can't ignore this smell without showing deep bias, you simply can't, considering all circumstances. Democrats play no role in that smelly picture, to focus on them is the wrong reaction, and I'm astonished you can not see this point entirely.

I see the point completely, I just don't agree with the conclusion.  I suppose you could use Occam's razor against me here, and it would be fair to do so, but I just don't the blatantly obvious is correct in this instance.

Quote:Even if they were the most awful hacks (which in general they probably are, in this case I think that's not fair to say, but even if), what does it matter? Why the mention? Trump mentions them out of deflection, just why do you follow his lead there. Using a very flawed narrative of left-wing hypocrisy, which honestly does sound a bit hysteric too. I don't get that.

I mention it because I'm mortally sick of the sanctimony coming from people literally dripping with manure.  To go from demanding someone be fired for months to being outraged they got fired is a bridge too far for me.  Like I said earlier, the Dems aren't dropping the Russia investigation, it's literally their only life preserver in a stormy sea right now.  If there is something to find it will be found, Comey or no Comey.

Here's a perfect example of the utter horse crap being spouted on this issue.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/roller-coaster-reactions-unfold-congress-day-comey-fired/

Quote:Minority Leader Chuck Schumer: “The dismissal of Director Comey establishes a very troubling pattern. This Administration has now removed several law enforcement officials in a position to conduct independent investigations of the President and his administration – from acting Attorney General Sally Yates to Preet Bharara, and now, Jim Comey. What should happen now … what must happen now … is that Mr. Rosenstein appoints a special prosecutor to oversee this investigation.”
Sally Yates was fired for refusing to do her job, inane comparison.  Preet Bharara was dismissed as almost all US Attorney's are dismissed when a new administration takes over, inane comparison. 

(05-11-2017, 04:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Here's a perfect example of the utter horse crap being spouted on this issue.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/roller-coaster-reactions-unfold-congress-day-comey-fired/

Sally Yates was fired for refusing to do her job, inane comparison.  Preet Bharara was dismissed as almost all US Attorney's are dismissed when a new administration takes over, inane comparison. 

Mellow

Still sticking with that line, eh?

Quote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/sally-yates-ted-cruz-muslim-ban-testimony-hearing-legal-questions-video-a7725281.html

Sally Yates batted off cross-examination from Senator Ted Cruz during a testy exchange over Donald Trump's proposed travel ban during her Senate testimony on Russian meddling in the election.

Mr Cruz tried to challenge the former acting Attorney General's decision not to enforce Mr Trump's ban - the original version of which would have restricted travel from seven Muslim-majority countries - only to find that she had come prepared.

Ms Yates determined the executive order violated the “fundamental” right to freedom of religion and so stuck by the decision, which would eventually lead to her dismissal from her job. 

[Image: sally-yates.jpg]
Republican Senator John Cornyn repeatedly chided Ms Yates for overruling the Office of Legal Counsel (OOLC)  within the Department of Justice that had determined the travel ban was lawful. 

He said the decision to make the determination of whether Mr Trump’s executive order was unlawful should have been left up to the courts. Mr Cornyn did not mention the district courts that have blocked the executive order. 

“The [OOLC] has a narrow function. They look at the face of the executive order...purely on its face,” she explained. 

That office does not take into account “extemporaneous” comments on the intent of the executive order, Ms Yates said. 

Ms Yates reminded Mr Cornyn that during her confirmation hearing under the Obama administration that she vowed, under oath, to tell the President if she was asked to do something she determined to be unlawful or “inconsistent with the principles of the Department of Justice.” 

Ted Cruz, the Republican Senator from Texas, read out the federal regulation relevant to the President’s authority regarding barring “aliens” from entering the US if it is “not in the best interest” of the country. 

Ms Yates then read another portion of the same regulation, passed after the portion to which Mr Cruz referred: “no person shall receive preference or be discriminated in issuance of a visa against because of race, nationality, or place of birth.” 

“That’s been part of the discussions with the courts...is whether this more specific statute trumps the first one that you just described,” Ms Yates explained. 

Democratic Senator Amy Klobuchar noted that the same day the “Muslim ban” executive order was signed was also the same day Ms Yates had a meeting with the White House to warn them about former National Security Advisor Mike Flynn’s ties to Russian officials. 

Ms Yates said the White House not only did not consult with her office about the order, but did not tell her it was coming either, adding that she found out about it from the media. 

"I did my job," Ms Yates said.