Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Iran Situation - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Iran Situation (/Thread-Iran-Situation)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Iran Situation - GMDino - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 11:24 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We are in the process of leaving when the recent incident that sparked this attack occurred.

The "recent incident" was Dear Leader authorizing the killing of an Iranian government official.

RE: Iran Situation - jj22 - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 11:26 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Just putting myself in their shoes, Iranian leaders have to be terrified.  In a war they get destroyed.  Terrorism may make them feel better momentarily, but it doesn't protect them.  I imagine their main concerns are their lives, their power and their wealth, and how to escape this with all intact.

Iran would lose in the long run, but the damage they can do in the mean time to Israel, Iraq, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, etc will be far worse than anything we've experienced in recent wars. They are far more sophisticated then Iraq, Afghanistan, or even Vietnam from a military standpoint. Iran isn't a slouch (which is why it's pretty much been all talk for all these decades from America).

RE: Iran Situation - Nately120 - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 11:20 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll take that as a long No

Well that and im just butthurt because Trump is so awesome. 

The bigger problem with trying to "find a way out" of this is we had no reason to be "in this" in the first place.

Trump's fragile ego had to undo whatever Obama did so now he's in a piccing war with Iran.  And yeah, we got the bigger hose but innocent people can and will be hurt and killed because of Trump's lack of intelligence and lack of experience or willingness to learn.  (Something sane people warned and worried about prior to the election.)

He's failed at every foreign policy attempt he has made.  Even when he did it "his was" because "maybe the old ways didn't work".

But the minions will defend his decisions.

RE: Iran Situation - CJD - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 11:24 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We are in the process of leaving when the recent incident that sparked this attack occurred.

We've been in the 'process of leaving' for years now. But we can never seem to quite make it to the actual leaving part.

(01-08-2020, 11:29 AM)michaelsean Wrote: For me, and i'm certainly no expert, this is the best response.

That's the response I want.

But, for some reason, I am not sure that will be our response.

(01-08-2020, 11:38 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: We've been in the 'process of leaving' for years now. But we can never seem to quite make it to the actual leaving part.

Wasn't wimpy peacenik Obama supposed to bring everyone back home and leave us defenseless? 

(01-08-2020, 11:43 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Wasn't wimpy peacenik Obama supposed to bring everyone back home and leave us defenseless? 

Well, he had to found ISIS first. So it took him a little longer than he expected.

RE: Iran Situation - BmorePat87 - 01-08-2020

Not wanting to start a war and/or questioning whether or not the killing of Soleimani was a wise, strategical move does not make one unAmerican nor does it make them a sympathizer of Iran or Soleimani. This also isn't going to cause WWIII or a draft.

I hope that everyone here can engage in a discourse on this topic without resorting to these overused and intellectually dishonest tropes.

(01-08-2020, 11:49 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Not wanting to start a war and/or questioning whether or not the killing of Soleimani was a wise, strategical move does not make one unAmerican nor does it make them a sympathizer of Iran or Soleimani. This also isn't going to cause WWIII or a draft.

I hope that everyone here can engage in a discourse on this topic without resorting to these overused and intellectually dishonest tropes.

But sensationalism sells and gets votes and gets reality TV stars into office. 

RE: Iran Situation - Belsnickel - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 10:55 AM)jj22 Wrote: I don't think you can give Iran the win (which it would be as no other foreign nation would dare challenge America like that, prior to Trump anyway). Especially after all the talk and threats of war with Iran from America.

If America doesn't respond, it'll be viewed as a defeat, and we can't take a loss to Iran after all the threats. We'd lose all of our Afghanistan/Iraq allies on the ground if we do.

We just can't ignore it unfortunately and maintain our credibility in the region.

Yeah, you're way off on this one. Iraqis were killed and no Americans. Iraq has already requested we leave. This is on Iraq to respond to be quite honest. We can, and should, not respond.

(01-08-2020, 11:26 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Just putting myself in their shoes, Iranian leaders have to be terrified. In a war they get destroyed. Terrorism may make them feel better momentarily, but it doesn't protect them. I imagine their main concerns are their lives, their power and their wealth, and how to escape this with all intact.

Yup. The consensus really is that unless the US makes another attack, this will likely be it for open attacks. The covert stuff may ramp up a bit, though, including a possible targeted terror attack on a US senior official.

RE: Iran Situation - BmorePat87 - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 11:58 AM)Nately120 Wrote: But sensationalism sells and gets votes and gets reality TV stars into office. 

I hate to go off topic, but I found it amusing that the vast majority of people I saw on my facebook feed cheering on Ricky Gervais after he said no one wants to hear about politics from Hollywood were people who voted for a grossly unqualified reality TV star for President. 

Going back on topic, we've seen for years how inept his foreign policy has been, especially with all of the vacancies in key intelligence, military, and diplomatic positions. I wish I could have the optimism that I see from so many that someone with zero foreign policy and/or military experience that absolutely bundled North Korea is some absolute genius when it comes to these things, playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers.

God damn, I hope someone competent is making these decisions in one calendar year.  

RE: Iran Situation - Au165 - 01-08-2020

It seems more and more likely now this was simply a save face move as it's not being reported that Iran told Iraq they were about to attack a U.S. military base and Iraq told us allowing us to get personnel into bunkers. Iran even went as far as to tell Iraq to stay away from certain bases giving us a better idea of where to expect the attacks. This isn't the move of a country looking to kill, this is the move of a country looking to make a show of power to it's people as retribution for what they perceived to be an injustice.

Both sides need to just walk away at this point.

(01-08-2020, 12:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I hate to go off topic, but I found it amusing that the vast majority of people I saw on my facebook feed cheering on Ricky Gervais after he said no one wants to hear about politics from Hollywood were people who voted for a grossly unqualified reality TV star for President. 

Going back on topic, we've seen for years how inept his foreign policy has been, especially with all of the vacancies in key intelligence, military, and diplomatic positions. I wish I could have the optimism that I see from so many that someone with zero foreign policy and/or military experience that absolutely bundled North Korea is some absolute genius when it comes to these things, playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers.

God damn, I hope someone competent is making these decisions in one calendar year.  

(01-08-2020, 12:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: It seems more and more likely now this was simply a save face move as it's not being reported that Iran told Iraq they were about to attack a U.S. military base and Iraq told us allowing us to get personnel into bunkers. Iran even went as far as to tell Iraq to stay away from certain bases giving us a better idea of where to expect the attacks. This isn't the move of a country looking to kill, this is the move of a country looking to make a show of power to it's people as retribution for what they perceived to be an injustice.

I agree on all these points.

I just want to add that the only thing DJT has ever done in his life that makes me believe he won't escalate this further is that he's quite obviously afraid of war (fighting in it or leading it).  He's been very clear about that. I just wonder if he's just too dumb and his lack of forward thinking will accidentally lead to more trouble.

(01-08-2020, 12:16 PM)GMDino Wrote: I agree on all these points.

I just want to add that the only thing DJT has ever done in his life that makes me believe he won't escalate this further is that he's quite obviously afraid of war (fighting in it or leading it).  He's been very clear about that.  I just wonder if he's just too dumb and his lack of forward thinking will accidentally lead to more trouble.

Trump wouldn't lose support if he shot a man on 5th ave but will he lose support if he doesn't bomb Iran?  

RE: Iran Situation - masonbengals fan - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 12:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: It seems more and more likely now this was simply a save face move as it's not being reported that Iran told Iraq they were about to attack a U.S. military base and Iraq told us allowing us to get personnel into bunkers. Iran even went as far as to tell Iraq to stay away from certain bases giving us a better idea of where to expect the attacks. This isn't the move of a country looking to kill, this is the move of a country looking to make a show of power to it's people as retribution for what they perceived to be an injustice.

I agree. Walk away today & the US wins. No Americans were killed & the world has one less POS starting trouble. I've no doubt Iran will continue stirring the pot. The line has been drawn though.

(01-08-2020, 12:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Trump wouldn't lose support if he shot a man on 5th ave but will he lose support if he doesn't bomb Iran?  

No, not if he doesn't again.

The cult can find a way to make Trump look "tough" and praise his "restraint" without ever thinking he could have made any kind of tactical error.

(01-08-2020, 11:59 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, you're way off on this one. Iraqis were killed and no Americans. Iraq has already requested we leave. This is on Iraq to respond to be quite honest. We can, and should, not respond.

It was American base. Just so happened to be on Iraqi land. But it was not an attack on Iraq. Their intentions were clear and stated. Not sure where this it was Iraq they attacked comes from. There's no reason to deny we are at war at this point.

U.S will respond, as we have to. Trump said if they retaliated in any way they'd pay the price. They ignored him and did less than a week later. I don't care for Trump, but the US Commander in Chief must be respected. Or else all is lost in the world credibility wise.

Trump is about to speak.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/video/live-news-coverage-from-cbs-news/ar-BBmYvYY?appwebview=true&ocid=ientp

Tactically we did the right thing. Strategically we don't know.

Well said.