Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut (/Thread-TV-viewership-down-13-NFL-Debut)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-15-2020

(09-15-2020, 11:37 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, professionally, yes. But what about in your home? Building codes, zoning ordinances, regulations on toilet flows, shower heads, lightbulbs, stormwater runoff, regulations on the phone in your pocket, etc., etc. When you start listing things, people realize what is lurking there, but people don't think about all the politics involved in the most mundane things in their every day lives. Now, you and I, as well as some other folks on here, have more obvious political impacts thanks to our chosen professions, but truthfully our jobs aren't impacted more by politics than others, we are just more aware of it.

Dude, I live in CA.  There's probably no state more up your ass with endless regulation.  I tried getting a high flow shower head for my new house and found out that they were all illegal to sell and ship to CA.

RE: TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 09-15-2020

(09-15-2020, 10:58 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Then you can't remove politics from sport even if you stop playing the national anthem.

Checkmate!  Ninja

One of the reasons football was founded was to prepare young men for warfare. So you’re not wrong.

RE: TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut - CJD - 09-15-2020

If players wanted to shine a light on the social justice issue of abortion, I bet the NFL would be receptive to that. The number of laws being passed to outlaw abortions or make them harder to get (including shutting down and defunding abortion clinics) are very troubling.

Is there some recent situation where players wanted to protest the Anti-abortion movement that was denied by the NFL?

RE: TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut - Mickeypoo - 09-15-2020

Honest question: Who believes that it is professional and appropriate to make SJ and Political statements/take stands that have nothing to do with your employer or work conditions at your place of employment?

Pretty sure that sentence structure is bad. Calling the grammar police!!! Ha ha!

RE: TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut - Nately120 - 09-15-2020

(09-15-2020, 01:36 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Honest question:  Who believes that it is professional and appropriate to make SJ and Political statements/take stands that have nothing to do with your employer or work conditions at your place of employment?

Pretty sure that sentence structure is bad.  Calling the grammar police!!!   Ha ha!

Is my employer getting paid a boatload of money to run political ads every 3 minutes?

(09-15-2020, 01:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Is my employer getting paid a boatload of money to run political ads every 3 minutes?

Why does it matter?  They own the business and can run whatever ads they want.  If their employees don't like it they are free to leave, no?  They are free to choose a different place of employment.

(09-15-2020, 01:36 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Honest question:  Who believes that it is professional and appropriate to make SJ and Political statements/take stands that have nothing to do with your employer or work conditions at your place of employment?

Pretty sure that sentence structure is bad.  Calling the grammar police!!!   Ha ha!

They don't typically play the national anthem before each work day in the office and demand that everyone stand for it.

There also isn't usually any fighter jets flying overhead or any of the other military spectacles that occur in the NFL.

With that said, if I decided to make my email profile picture a black lives matter poster or have BLM or other social justice slogans at my cubicle, no one would stop me. I've seen it done with BLM and similar causes over the years. It wouldn't be controversial in my office.

(09-15-2020, 01:46 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: They don't typically play the national anthem before each work day in the office and demand that everyone stand for it.

There also isn't usually any fighter jets flying overhead or any of the other military spectacles that occur in the NFL.

With that said, if I decided to make my email profile picture a black lives matter poster or have BLM or other social justice slogans at my cubicle, no one would stop me. I've seen it done with BLM and similar causes over the years. It wouldn't be controversial in my office.

Maybe they should play the National Anthem before each work day. It's the NATIONAL Anthem. When I was in school they used to play the National Anthem and we used to say the Pledge every morning. My how we have devolved in our love for Country and unity amongst fellow Americans.

I'm ok with them nixing the Anthem.  I would be sad as it is a unifying American thing and I really enjoy what i feel is unity and a sense of American pride before the game, but whatever.  It's even more sad if Americans don't view it as such.

I'm not talking about small things at your cubicle.  What if you walked around the office with a BLM or ANTIFA shirt?  How about a hat with the name of an accused rapist with a rap sheet?  Wearing socks depicting police as pigs for your office to see?

I also think about the employees who don't agree and might feel forced to participate even though they think it's BS.  What about those people?

(09-15-2020, 01:46 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Why does it matter?  They own the business and can run whatever ads they want.  If their employees don't like it they are free to leave, no?  They are free to choose a different place of employment.

Seems like the players are free to do this social justice stuff, too.  Im just saying the NFL is cashing checks by playing both sides if the political fence.  

The NFL is running ads that are trying to convince people to vote for the guy you dont want to win.  Why do we always get mad at players for being political?

RE: TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 09-15-2020

Republicans don’t want to hear celebrities opinions of politics . . . That’s why they elected Donald Trump.

(09-15-2020, 01:58 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Maybe they should play the National Anthem before each work day.  It's the NATIONAL Anthem.  When I was in school they used to play the National Anthem and we used to say the Pledge every morning.  My how we have devolved in our love for Country and unity amongst fellow Americans.

I'm ok with them nixing the Anthem.  I would be sad as it is a unifying American thing and I really enjoy what i feel is unity and a sense of American pride before the game, but whatever.  It's even more sad if Americans don't view it as such.

I'm not talking about small things at your cubicle.  What if you walked around the office with a BLM or ANTIFA shirt?  How about a hat with the name of an accused rapist with a rap sheet?  Wearing socks depicting police as pigs for your office to see?

I also think about the employees who don't agree and might feel forced to participate even though they think it's BS.  What about those people?

I like the national anthem. 
I'm a bit more skeptical of the pledge of allegiance, especially its use in elementary school.

I remember when I was a child, I was taught the pledge...but I had no idea what it meant. It was just something that was drilled into my mind out of necessity. If you refused to say it, you were sent to the principal's office. Thinking back to that time, it was very unusual behavior to have children recite a pledge of loyalty to their country before they even understood anything at all about politics. Getting people, especially children, to memorize and recite something they don't understand, especially something like a pledge of loyalty, every single day for years at a time is kind of creepy if you think about it. Could easily be mistaken for indoctrination.

It's kind of funny thinking of what I thought I was saying when I recited that pledge. "And to the Republic" I thought of the library, because it was the only other thing I knew that used the word "public." 
"For which it stands" I pictured a witch standing over her cauldron. 
"Indivisible" I thought of Invisible Woman (Invisibility happened to be my favorite super power to have when playing with my friends).

Very odd behavior.

For shirts or hats, those aren't allowed in the office in general, so they'd be a no. Button down shirts only.

I think Antifa is still considered a bit taboo, but BLM is widely accepted now. There's no stigma there anymore. I don't know what you're referring to about rapists or socks, but if I wanted to voice my support for justice in regards to the extrajudicial shooting of Jacob Blake, I doubt anyone would have an issue with it.

Obviously, these things are different across different offices. I heard there was a teacher who was put on leave for having BLM mottos in their virtual classroom down in a city in Texas. So I wouldn't be surprised if the redder the state, the less open work spaces would be to progressive causes.

As far as the people who think it's BS, I would implore them to live their truth. Don't do anything you don't believe in. And don't let anyone force you to say or do something you don't agree with.

(09-15-2020, 02:18 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I like the national anthem. 
I'm a bit more skeptical of the pledge of allegiance, especially its use in elementary school.

I remember when I was a child, I was taught the pledge...but I had no idea what it meant. It was just something that was drilled into my mind out of necessity. If you refused to say it, you were sent to the principal's office. Thinking back to that time, it was very unusual behavior to have children recite a pledge of loyalty to their country before they even understood anything at all about politics. Getting people, especially children, to memorize and recite something they don't understand, especially something like a pledge of loyalty, every single day for years at a time is kind of creepy if you think about it. Could easily be mistaken for indoctrination.

It's kind of funny thinking of what I thought I was saying when I recited that pledge. "And to the Republic" I thought of the library, because it was the only other thing I knew that used the word "public." 
"Indivisible" I thought of Invisible Woman. 

Very odd behavior.

For shirts or hats, those aren't allowed in the office in general, so they'd be a no. Button down shirts only.

I think Antifa is still considered a bit taboo, but BLM is widely accepted now. There's no stigma there anymore. I don't know what you're referring to about rapists or socks, but if I wanted to voice my support for justice in regards to the extrajudicial shooting of Jacob Blake, I doubt anyone would have an issue with it.

Obviously, these things are different across different offices. I heard there was a teacher who was put on leave for having BLM mottos in their virtual classroom down in a city in Texas. So I wouldn't be surprised if the redder the state, the less open work spaces would be to progressive causes.

As far as the people who think it's BS, I would implore them to live their truth. Don't do anything you don't believe in. And don't let anyone force you to say or do something you don't agree with.

I went to a catholic school so it was years of prayers and pledge and Jesus this and jerhico that.  Oh and then I went to college where my feeble mind was apparently indoctrinated for the first time.  

(09-15-2020, 02:18 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I like the national anthem. 

"Indivisible" I thought of Invisible Woman. 

Very odd behavior.

I get what you are saying about the pledge and not understanding it, etc. I enjoyed your remembrance as a kid.  I was laughing!  :) 

In a way I think a unifying American message meant for ALL Americans such as the Pledge and Anthem being taught from a young age is good.  We want National unity and it's what keeps us together as an American people. What is wrong with indoctrinating our American children to believe we live in a great, united country that includes all Americans of all races?  Think of the unity that would bring. 

I can certainly see your point of indoctrination, but I feel that National unity being instilled from a young age is a good thing.  It's like glue that hold us together.  A core belief that we are all Americans and we are all unified together as one country.  Maybe the problem now is that we stopped "indoctrinating" our youth from a unifying standpoint.

As far as BLM, the fact it is accepted at any level is terrifying.  Having a specific "lives matter" for one race is the opposite of unifying.  Just read their web page and what they are about.

All lives matter, including black lives!  I find it interesting the black community wants to blame everyone else for their problems.  Just look at the crime stats.  Black crime is horrific and the Black population is only 13.4% of the population.  Black on black murder and violence is off the charts.  Look at Chicago EVERY weekend.  Killing each other and their children.  It's like a third world country.

What we need are conversations about how we can help the black communities overcome their overwhelming violence, murder and broken home problems.

Why would a cop in a high crime area not be apprehensive when dealing with a black person?  It's not racist, it's crime stats and the reality of ultra high murder and violence in black communities.

If anything I said was offensive to anyone, I truly apologize and it was not my intent in any way.

RE: TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut - fredtoast - 09-15-2020

Very few people have jobs that place them on a public platform.

So if the employer approves I don't see any problem.

(09-15-2020, 02:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I went to a catholic school so it was years of prayers and pledge and Jesus this and jerhico that.  Oh and then I went to college where my feeble mind was apparently indoctrinated for the first time.  

I'm sorry to hear about your college liberal indoctrination.  lol.  :)

My sister is an 11th/12th grade Physics and Chemistry teacher at a large City school.  She told me she can't even sit in the teachers lounge because it is nothing but anti-Trump liberals constantly complaining and if she speaks up it's like a pack of ravenous wolves going after injured prey.   Tongue

Maybe there is something to that college indoctrination you speak of.   Ninja

I obviously was not blessed with the academic gene.  I barley made it out of High School.  I'm a spaz with a brain that never shuts off, even at 45, and sticking me in a classroom for 7 hours was tantamount to torture for me.  The military was the best thing to ever happen for me.

(09-15-2020, 03:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Very few people have jobs that place them on a public platform.

So if the employer approves I don't see any problem.

I guess I can't argue with that, but that was not really my question.

RE: TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut - bfine32 - 09-15-2020

(09-15-2020, 01:46 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: They don't typically play the national anthem before each work day in the office and demand that everyone stand for it.

Words matter and I will always balk when someones states folks "demand, force, make" anyone stand for the National Anthem.

As to my work situation; We're encouraged to remain apolitical while on duty or representing the organization.

EDIT: Other businesses can and have. It always comes down to the bottom line. For instance if I own a car dealership and my salesmen all decide to wear a BLM button, then my sales suddenly decrease. I would advocate against it.

Now if I had a legal right to demand they not wear it, would be a different question. But I think you can preclude an employee from doing anything to hurt your business. You have stakeholders to answer to after all

(09-15-2020, 03:20 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: My sister is an 11th/12th grade Physics and Chemistry teacher at a large City school.  She told me she can't even sit in the teachers lounge because it is nothing but anti-Trump liberals constantly complaining and if she speaks up it's like a pack of ravenous wolves going after injured prey.   Tongue

How did your sister become a teacher without going to college?

And are you sure she doesn't teach Drama?

(09-15-2020, 03:20 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I'm sorry to hear about your college liberal indoctrination.  lol.  :)

My sister is an 11th/12th grade Physics and Chemistry teacher at a large City school.  She told me she can't even sit in the teachers lounge because it is nothing but anti-Trump liberals constantly complaining and if she speaks up it's like a pack of ravenous wolves going after injured prey.   Tongue

I obviously was not blessed with the academic gene.  I barley made it out of High School.  I'm a spaz with a brain that never shuts off, even at 45, and sticking me in a classroom for 7 hours was tantamount to torture for me.  The military was the best thing to ever happen for me.

All that matters is that I can admit that you believe what you believe because it is the logical and right thing to believe and I believe what I believe because I've been systematically and deviously programmed to be wrong.

(09-15-2020, 01:58 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I also think about the employees who don't agree and might feel forced to participate even though they think it's BS.  What about those people?

So were you defending Kaepernick when he felt like it was not appropriate for an employer to make all employees take part in forced mandatory displays of patriotism?

Or did it just become a problem when the employers starting taking a position you did not agree with?