Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Bernard released - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Bernard released (/Thread-Bernard-released)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Bernard released - pulses - 04-07-2021

(04-07-2021, 06:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It may not necessarily be banking on Mixon staying healthy, but it does at least give indication they feel confident in Perine and Williams if Mixon does miss any time.

Plus their are some good RB's to be had in the middle rounds of this draft in case they wanna do  that also. Call me crazy but if Etienne is sitting there at 38 I wouldn't be surprised if they take him.

RE: Bernard released - jfkbengals - 04-07-2021

Not a fan of the move. Keeping him in the fold wasn't going to stop us from staying on our current course. Unless the money is going to be used to try and get Atkins back or hoping to get a high profile guy released after the draft, then there was no need to get rid of him. Now, he did ask for his release, but they were the ones who put him on the trade block in the first place.

RE: Bernard released - SunsetBengal - 04-07-2021

(04-07-2021, 01:00 PM)PDub80 Wrote: It was how they structured the deal. This contract was an extension on top of Gio's 2019 money, not a brand new deal. So, some of that was paid to Gio in 2019 and the cap hit for that was paid then. Leaving dead money THIS season vs a 100% cap hit.

where in the heck are you getting that number?  I went to the sportrac site, and yearly cash was $4.1M, nothing more.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/giovani-bernard-12318/

RE: Bernard released - Luvnit2 - 04-07-2021

I have not read through the thread yet. I am sure some are not happy, some are happy and some maybe don't understand why or why now. I have been calling for his release or trade for a long time. This is y opinion on what went down.

They asked Gio to take a 50% pay cuts since he makes more than our 2 starting guards combined. Gio said no. Next, they put him on the trade market and no team was will to pay him 4.7 million in 2021 so no offers. So, they cut him to use the money more wisely on another FA guard, WR or position of need.

I love the move and wish we would now go after Zac Ertz in a trade, with Gio being cut, we have the cap space to do it.

TY Gio for being a true pro, no doubt you are a top tier back up RB, but not worth 4.7 million in 2021. All the best t o Gio, he s a class act and a good RB.

RE: Bernard released - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 04-07-2021

(04-07-2021, 07:15 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have not read through the thread yet. I am sure some are not happy, some are happy and some maybe don't understand why or why now. I have been calling for his release or trade for a long time. This is y opinion on what went down.

They asked Gio to take a 50% pay cuts since he makes more than our 2 starting guards combined. Gio said no. Next, they put him on the trade market and no team was will to pay him 4.7 million in 2021 so no offers. So, they cut him to use he money more wisely on another FA guard, WR or position of need.

I love the move and wish we would now go after Zac Ertz in a trade, with io being cut, we have the cap space to do it.

TY Gio for being a true pro, no doubt you are a top tier back up RB, but not worth 4.7 million in 2021. All the best t o Gio, he s a class act and a good RB.

That would be awesome, but they had more than $20M in cap space already to sign anyone at a position of need. Who is available right now they can’t afford? And Geno Atkins’ dead money cap hit is greater than Bernard’s would have been.

RE: Bernard released - Waite Hoyt - 04-07-2021

Hate to see Gio go but 4 mil for a 29 year old back up running back is to much. Hope the use the money to lock up Bates or a guard in FA.

(04-07-2021, 11:52 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Would you release a player with a trade offer on the table?  No.

So what does that tell you? There was never any trade offers. That was just the Bengals leaking that in an attempt to drum up a trade offer for a player they were going to cut.

And, again, they make more cap space despite fitting Bernard’s cap hit under the limit. For what purpose?

This is very abnormal offseason. First time in a very long time cap decreased versus increasing 10 to 20%. Some teams who were kicking cap money down the road suddenly are in a position to pay up. Simply, they will be forced after the draft to cut some of their high profile overly paid players or trade them to get under the 2021 cap.

I may be wrong, but Bengals are in a great position to snag very good players who get cut or have yet to sign at huge discounts. So, very different from past so let's see it play out. I love they have a lot of cap space and flexibility for 2021 as 2021 offseason is months away from being over. 

(04-07-2021, 07:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: where in the heck are you getting that number?  I went to the sportrac site, and yearly cash was $4.1M, nothing more.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/giovani-bernard-12318/

Gio still made over $600K (from prior bonuses), they saved 4.1 Million by the cut. No cut and Gio makes almost 4.8 million in 2021.

(04-07-2021, 12:33 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: People said the same thing after they cut Hart and Atkins. Have you heard of any contract extensions, yet?

????????????

They signed Reiff and then cut Hart and signed the DT from Cleveland, then cut Geno.

What is wrong with having their replacement Perrine for Gio) on the roster, then cutting them? Sounds very smart to me.

RE: Bernard released - bfine32 - 04-07-2021

I was always against cutting Gio; as I feel he provides much more than what he costs. WTS, I don't see how the FO disrespected Gio. they just made a bad personnel decision IMO.

RE: Bernard released - jj22 - 04-07-2021

Brace yourself for Bernard to the Steelers. He's been a thorn in their side for years and you know they have respect for him (and a need at rb).

(04-07-2021, 07:33 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Gio still made over $600K (from prior bonuses), they saved 4.1 Million by the cut. No cut and Gio makes almost 4.8 million in 2021.

The dead money is from his prorated bonus that has already been paid. So his cap hit wouldn’t be almost 4.8M.

RE: Bernard released - GreenCornBengal - 04-07-2021

(04-07-2021, 07:42 PM)jj22 Wrote: Brace yourself for Bernard to the Steelers. He's been a thorn in their side for years and you know they have respect for him (and a need at rb).

He’s been a thorn in their side? I just have images of him getting blasted while bailing Andy out.

He has had a few good showings vs them but idk if it’s thorn in their side levels.

(04-07-2021, 07:36 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: ????????????

They signed Reiff and then cut Hart and signed the DT from Cleveland, then cut Geno.

What is wrong with having their replacement Perrine for Gio) on the roster, then cutting them? Sounds very smart to me.

I don’t have a problem with the Bengals cutting someone when they have their replacements such as Hart who shouldn’t have been re-signed to his contact anyway. But, is Ogunjobi better than a healthy Atkins? And where was Perrine on the depth chart last year?

Geno’s and Gio’s contracts would fit under the salary cap and if the Bengals were actually signing a free agent or extending a current player they could release either at that time to create cap space if needed.

RE: Bernard released - Essex Johnson - 04-07-2021

Thank you for the hard work and professionalism you have given the Bengals and the Fans... You never took a play off and regardless the score, our record or other circumstances you continued to give 100 percent. All the best with your next team

(04-07-2021, 07:45 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The dead money is from his prorated bonus that has already been paid. So his cap hit wouldn’t be almost 4.8M.

His cap hit was almost 4.8 million, that dead money was paid to Gio in bonuses to him to work in future years. They saved 4.1 million so simple, add the dead money to the 4.1 million and close to 4.8 million 2021 cap hit prior to cutting him.

Name one back up RB who has or had a 4.8 million cap hit.

White - Pats is no
Fournette is no
Murray from Saints is no
Lindsay for Broncos is no

In fact, there are starting RB's who don't have a cap hit of 4.8 million.

Yet, our starting guards have cap hit of around 4 million in 2020 and so far in 2021.
How is a back up RB more valuable than an OG who takes every snap?
I bet he gets no more than 2,5 to 3 million in 2021, if so we were 100% correct to ask him to take a huge pay cut.

RE: Bernard released - fredtoast - 04-07-2021

(04-07-2021, 07:58 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote:  But, is Ogunjobi better than a healthy Atkins?

Considering Geno's age I don't think he will ever return to his 2018 form.  But if he is 100% recovered I would still like to sign him back at a reduced price.

As for Ogunjobi he might just be my favorite free agent.

Last year he played 60% of the snaps on the league's #3 rush defense and had as many TFLs as Sheldon Richardson.

He was making a ton of huge plays in 2018 and 2019.  Over those two seasons among all DTs he ranked 5th in TFLs (20), 6th in solo tackles (68), 11th in QB hits (28), and 12th in sacks (11).

This guy is only 26 years old and has no major injury issues.  He is a great athlete who blew up the combine when he placed first among DTs in both the broad jump and vertical, 3rd in the three-cone, 4th in bench, and 5th in the forty.

(04-07-2021, 07:58 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I don’t have a problem with the Bengals cutting someone when they have their replacements such as Hart who shouldn’t have been re-signed to his contact anyway. But, is Ogunjobi better than a healthy Atkins? And where was Perrine on the depth chart last year?

Geno’s and Gio’s contracts would fit under the salary cap and if the Bengals were actually signing a free agent or extending a current player they could release either at that time to create cap space if needed.

I am confused. How many games have we won the past 2 years? A lousy team is supposed to continue the same path and expect better results????

You think Geno played up to his contract in 2019 and 2020? Or did he end up being a mediocre DT (I know some due to injury but who cares, he was paid 100% for those very bad years). Gio is just a very bad contract. It is stupid to pay RB's more than your starting OG's and center.

(04-07-2021, 08:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Considering Geno's age I don't think he will ever return to his 2018 form.  But if he is 100% recovered I would still like to sign him back at a reduced price.

As for Ogunjobi he might just be my favorite free agent.

Last year he played 60% of the snaps on the league's #3 rush defense and had as many TFLs as Sheldon Richardson.

He was making a ton of huge plays in 2018 and 2019.  Over those two seasons among all DTs he ranked 5th in TFLs (20), 6th in solo tackles (68), 11th in QB hits (28), and 12th in sacks (11).

This guy is only 26 years old and has no major injury issues.  He is a great athlete who blew up the combine when he placed first among DTs in both the broad jump and vertical, 3rd in the three-cone, 4th in bench, and 5th in the forty.

I agree Fred, Geno is no longer 2015 to 2018 Geno. We paid Ogunjobi less, got a better and younger player.

Will Perrine be as good as Gio? He may or may not, but he a lot cheaper option.

Will Reiff be as good or better than Hart and save money to boot? I say yes he will.

RE: Bernard released - Joelist - 04-07-2021

Ogunjobi is an excellent acquisition. He’ll be the 3T here and gives us back the interior pass rush we lacked ever since Geno went down.