Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" (/Thread-Pollack-Comfortable-with-all-those-guys)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - SunsetBengal - 03-08-2023

(03-07-2023, 10:51 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: I agree if we push Carman to RT this year, I think we just slow his development at LT to take over for Williams at some point.

Carman was drafted as a LT he should have been on the left side his whole career.

Slow down there, we don't even know if he's actually good at LT at the NFL level yet.  The only game that he's looked "good" in, was sort of a fluke.  In the snow, versus a depleted, emotionally drained Buffalo defense that looked anything but ready for playoff battle that day.  He was "fair" in the AFCCG loss to KC.

The fact that up until the point where the team needed it's 4th option at Tackle to take the field, he never saw any meaningful action this year.  That speaks volumes about what the coaches must have been feeling about how his progress had been going.  Don't get the wrong idea, I want him to mature into a good player, the team spent a 2nd round pick on the guy.  However, it's a little early to be thinking that LT is "covered" if Williams faulters.

RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-08-2023

(03-08-2023, 07:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Slow down there, we don't even know if he's actually good at LT at the NFL level yet.  The only game that he's looked "good" in, was sort of a fluke.  In the snow, versus a depleted, emotionally drained Buffalo defense that looked anything but ready for playoff battle that day.  He was "fair" in the AFCCG loss to KC.

The fact that up until the point where the team needed it's 4th option at Tackle to take the field, he never saw any meaningful action this year.  That speaks volumes about what the coaches must have been feeling about how his progress had been going.  Don't get the wrong idea, I want him to mature into a good player, the team spent a 2nd round pick on the guy.  However, it's a little early to be thinking that LT is "covered" if Williams faulters.

Still, we DO know that Carman struggled on the right side, this is what we know. Doesn't encourage me hearing about moving Carman 
back to the right side after showing some improvement in the NFL on the left...

(03-08-2023, 07:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Still, we DO know that Carman struggled on the right side, this is what we know. Doesn't encourage me hearing about moving Carman 
back to the right side after showing some improvement in the NFL on the left...

Well, we know that he struggled at Guard, regardless of side.  Cordell Volson beat him out in open competition for LG in preseason last year, after the rough outting at RG to begin the 2021 season.  He flashed at LT in an atypical sort of game, but like I said, I'm withholding any additional praise until I see that he can do it in fair weather against a hungry opponent, and more importantly, on a week to week basis.  

RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-08-2023

(03-08-2023, 07:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, we know that he struggled at Guard, regardless of side.  Cordell Volson beat him out in open competition for LG in preseason last year, after the rough outting at RG to begin the 2021 season.  He flashed at LT in an atypical sort of game, but like I said, I'm withholding any additional praise until I see that he can do it in fair weather against a hungry opponent, and more importantly, on a week to week basis.  

All true, it is too early to say Carman is the answer if/when Jonah leaves...

(03-08-2023, 07:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true, it is too early to say Carman is the answer if/when Jonah leaves...

Without a doubt, but the one thing that we do know is that the projected "can't miss" prospects at Tackle will be gone when the Bengals pick rolls around.  So, here's to hoping that they see a guy or two that they feel they can work with and develop into who they need him to be.

(03-08-2023, 07:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Without a doubt, but the one thing that we do know is that the projected "can't miss" prospects at Tackle will be gone when the Bengals pick rolls around.  So, here's to hoping that they see a guy or two that they feel they can work with and develop into who they need him to be.

Darnell Wright Sunset, Darnell Wright. Perfect fit, looks like he would be perfect in the Gap scheme we run as well.

RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - casear2727 - 03-08-2023

(03-08-2023, 07:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Darnell Wright Sunset, Darnell Wright. Perfect fit, looks like he would be perfect in the Gap scheme we run as well.

As we have some on here saying Wright is a Day 3 pick one of the PFF post combine mocks had Wright gone by #22.... 

He's definitely my guy. 

(03-08-2023, 06:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is my fear. It just doesn't seem like a smart idea to even be talking about moving Carman to RT honestly.

Now, Jonah has played RT in college and then they rule that out? I was like WTF?

(03-08-2023, 06:23 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I was disappointed in Callahan’s seemingly dismissal of giving Carman a try at left tackle and Jonah at right tackle.

(03-08-2023, 06:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same here, maybe it is Brian Callahan and not Frank Pollack...

If so, not smart by Callahan unless Carman really plays well where he has never played.

I totally understand not moving Jonah to RT.  Guy has been a LT for 7 straight years, we have no idea how he would do on the right side and we do not need that kind of uncertainty, hell we should be uncertain if he can handle LT this season.  The responsibility is on the personnel department to identify and draft, or sign, a RT.

(03-08-2023, 07:54 PM)casear2727 Wrote: As we have some on here saying Wright is a Day 3 pick one of the PFF post combine mocks had Wright gone by #22.... 

He's definitely my guy. 

It's the same thing, every year.  As we get closer to the draft, there are close to 100 prospects who "someone" has a 1st round grade on, yet only 32 (this year only 31) actually get taken in the 1st round.

Just like every draft, there will be risers that bust, talented guys that fall, and a lot of otherwise roster building players taken along the way.

(03-08-2023, 07:54 PM)casear2727 Wrote: As we have some on here saying Wright is a Day 3 pick one of the PFF post combine mocks had Wright gone by #22.... 

He's definitely my guy. 

Mine too.

(03-08-2023, 07:58 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I totally understand not moving Jonah to RT.  Guy has been a LT for 7 straight years, we have no idea how he would do on the right side and we do not need that kind of uncertainty, hell we should be uncertain if he can handle LT this season.  The responsibility is on the personnel department to identify and draft, or sign, a RT.

Well, Jonah has at least played on the right side in college. I just thought totally ruling it out was a mistake and acting like 
Carman could make the move easily seemed unrealistic.

(03-08-2023, 08:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's the same thing, every year.  As we get closer to the draft, there are close to 100 prospects who "someone" has a 1st round grade on, yet only 32 (this year only 31) actually get taken in the 1st round.

Just like every draft, there will be risers that bust, talented guys that fall, and a lot of otherwise roster building players taken along the way.

Truth, the draft is a crapshoot. We will all be surprised once again by who falls and who are taken way higher than we thought.

(03-08-2023, 08:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Mine too.

Well, Jonah has at least played on the right side in college. I just thought totally ruling it out was a mistake and acting like 
Carman could make the move easily seemed unrealistic.

Truth, the draft is a crapshoot. We will all be surprised once again by who falls and who are taken way higher than we thought.

I stand corrected, NFL Media Analyst Lance Zierlein just mocked Wright at #14 to the Patriots.
CBS Trapasso, has him at #19 to the Bucs.

The Athletic has him at #24 to the Jaguars.

We can hope for Anton, he has played a little RT and is a quality pass protector. 

(03-08-2023, 08:12 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I stand corrected, NFL Media Analyst Lance Zierlein just mocked Wright at #14 to the Patriots.

We can hope for Anton, he has played a little RT and is a quality pass protector. 

Yeah, if anything Wright gets taken ahead of us IMO. Luckily Anton Harrison, Jones and Bergeron are also really good OL and 
have played on the right side even if Harrison looks more like a LT.

(03-08-2023, 08:12 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I stand corrected, NFL Media Analyst Lance Zierlein just mocked Wright at #14 to the Patriots.

If Wright goes that high, then certainly someone who was projected to go higher will be available when the Bengals pick at #28, Broderick Jones perhaps?

RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - Synric - 03-08-2023

(03-08-2023, 08:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If Wright goes that high, then certainly someone who was projected to go higher will be available when the Bengals pick at #28, Broderick Jones perhaps?

I would say Peter Skoronski falls with a move to "maybe a tackle" status. He will be a tackle for some teams a guard for others... I'm on the guard side although he did test way better than Jonah...

RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - bengalfan74 - 03-08-2023

(03-08-2023, 08:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Truth, the draft is a crapshoot. We will all be surprised once again by who falls and who are taken way higher than we thought.

There's almost always one, sometimes two guys that go in the top 20 that nobody had that high. NFL teams don't go by Mel Kipers draft board.

Do You Trust Pollack With Young Offensive Lineman - Emeritus - 03-08-2023

Tiger

As much as most would like to "Not" say it. Who has this guy really developed? I say that to ask the question. Do you trust him to rebuild this line for the future & develop young offensive line talent. Its a fair question. Who has he really made a "Better" player in his tenures here?

As much as we need OLine help don't be surprised if the pick goes to another room. Just saying.

(03-08-2023, 08:47 PM)Synric Wrote: I would say Peter Skoronski falls with a move to "maybe a tackle" status. He will be a tackle for some teams a guard for others... I'm on the guard side although he did test way better than Jonah...

Totally agree, his arms are full inch shorter than Jonah's.  He seems to me to be a RT or OG.

RE: Do You Trust Pollack With Young Offensive Lineman - bfine32 - 03-08-2023

I'm not comfortable with him

RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - bfine32 - 03-08-2023

(03-08-2023, 08:47 PM)Synric Wrote: I would say Peter Skoronski falls with a move to "maybe a tackle" status. He will be a tackle for some teams a guard for others... I'm on the guard side although he did test way better than Jonah...

Depends how high someone would draft Zack Martin. 

RE: Do You Trust Pollack With Young Offensive Lineman - Nately120 - 03-08-2023

(03-08-2023, 10:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm not comfortable with him

[Image: il_fullxfull.1474557654_osj7.jpg]