Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! (/Thread-CONTRACT-FINALIZED)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - bfine32 - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:34 PM)TheFan Wrote: Sorry, I hadn't got to that reply yet lol That was a good example, and more recent than my Brees one. My only argument would be Washington literally I'd a dumpster fire organization and probably one of the most negatively viewed in the league. Plus the way they treated him before leaving was so poor and I'm not sure they even offered him a deal after the tags ran out. 
I agree with your premise. JB signing for us simply because we drafted him does not make it "team friendly". 

I was just giving the most current example I could think of. 

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - TheFan - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:31 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: That “very good OL” gave up 40 sacks that year. The OL was really bad Burrow’s first year. The only reason he didn’t take a permanent drop off is because he was young enough for that injury to not be a permanent setback. Maybe the QB killer narrative is overblown, but Palmer did go on to have a career year right after he was traded.

Also. Top half of the league in playoff appearances is literally average and is not relevant to any point I made.

I'm not sure what year you're talking about. 

You're the one who made the claim the Bengals may "ruin a brilliant QB, like what’s happened in the past. It almost did happen and you know it. That’s the reputation, and I hate to break it to you, but it’s deserved." 

That's something stupid like Colin Cowherd says because he doesn't actually pay attention to most teams or sports (his words, not mine). The Bengals basically had 2 QBs over 16 years with 7 playoff appearances before Burrow so I would hardly call that "ruining" QBs. 

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - TheFan - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:37 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Hey, you're the one that qualified the criteria...

I do agree with you, BTW lol

And Manning was drafted by the Chargers!

Hah True, he was technically drafted by the Chargers. But accoring to reports "the Chargers selected Manning with the first pick overall nonetheless, as the team had a deal with the New York Giants, whereby the Giants would draft and then trade Philip Rivers and a 2004 third-round pick."

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 09-07-2023

Burrow signed thru 2029 is all kinds of awesome.

I really don't get all the pearl clutching going on in here.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Wyche'sWarrior - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 10:15 PM)basballguy Wrote: So how is Mike Florio going to stir the pot on this now?

That shithead will find a way.....

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Soonerpeace - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:33 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Cannot comment until the details are known. I am not a cap wizard, but I'd be shocked if the 5th year option got voided. Why would the team do that? Forfeiting a year of control? Makes no sense to me.

As for Tee, if indeed Burrow's deal doesn't kick in until 2025 (aside from the signing bonus being pro-rated in, if that is the case, unsure how that works), the immediate impact will be negligible. Going forward, it will mean some tough decisions.

The most obvious place to save is RT. Jonah makes $12.5 mil, and is on an expiring deal. Collins has an $6.667 mil cap hit next year, and we could save $7 mil by releasing him. It is an extremely deep tackle draft. Losing at least one seems a given. Both wouldxsave nearly $20 mil. How Smith/Carman progress, and how Jonah/Collins play will impact it.

Second is WR with Boyd at $10 mil. Jones/Iosivas need to step up first, though.

Chido makes $8 mil and Turner is waiting in the wings.

Mixon makes $8.4 and Brown is waiting in the wings. Though we'd only save $5.750 mil in 2024 by waiving him.

Reader at $15 mil is the other obvious candidate. No one in the wings there.

Good post

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - THE PISTONS - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:22 PM)TKUHL Wrote: By the way we’ve been drafting. Could the two WR’s we drafted be Higs/Boyd’s replacements

No. Maybe Boyd, but not Higgins.

(09-07-2023, 11:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Mike Brown has never had a problem paying his QB and #1 WR.

Sounds about right of a deal for Burrow, if an extra $1-2m/yr more than I was expecting. Didn't think we'd see another 10 year deal, and didn't think he'd be taking some huge magical discount. Glad they got it done before the season started, well done to the FO handling what needed to be handled. Next offseason it's going to be Chase getting 5yr/$160m or so.

QBs, tackles, etc. Yes.

The big thing now is the Bengals win...so players want to stay.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - bfine32 - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:49 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Burrow signed thru 2029 is all kinds of awesome.

I really don't get all the pearl clutching going on in here.

I think the consternation comes from folks thinking JB would sign some sort of "miracle" contract. Anyone with any sense knew he would re-sign.

I'm stoked that JB is a Bengal for the next 7 years and equally stoked that we can now live in reality and spend our leftover money to put a team around him. 

Personally, I'm stoked the deal is done. It is now truly JB's team. 

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - 007BengalsFan - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:33 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: ...As for Tee, if indeed Burrow's deal doesn't kick in until 2025 (aside from the signing bonus being pro-rated in, if that is the case, unsure how that works), the immediate impact will be negligible. Going forward, it will mean some tough decisions...

Part of the problem now is that Chase becomes eligible for a contract extension next year.  Are you going to try and extend Chase next year or let him wait while you extend Tee?  Also, you have guys on defense to worry about extending.  Are you going to let Reader and Awuzie walk?  The defense is what has carried this team in the playoffs, not the offense.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Wyche'sWarrior - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 10:54 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Dear Mike Brown:  This TOTALLY absolves you from the Akili Smith mess!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves..... Ninja

(09-07-2023, 11:38 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: True, the Bengals had several top 10 ranked offensive lines with both Palmer and Dalton at QB.  I posted a thread on that a few months back.

The whole 'Bengals ruin QBs' goes back to Klingler and Akili. 

Klingler was the product of a crazy college offense and Akili was a 1 year wonder. Not sure they were 'ruined' as much as they were bad picks.

(09-07-2023, 11:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think the consternation comes from folks thinking JB would sign some sort of "miracle" contract. Anyone with any sense knew he would re-sign.

I'm stoked that JB is a Bengal for the next 7 years and equally stoked that we can now live in reality and spend our leftover money to put a team around him. 

Personally, I'm stoked the deal is done. It is now truly JB's team. 

Agreed.

QBs just don't sign 10 year deals, outside of Mahommes...so they can get that big 3rd deal too.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Joelist - 09-08-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The whole 'Bengals ruin QBs' goes back to Klingler and Akili. 

Klingler was the product of a crazy college offense and Akili was a 1 year wonder. Not sure they were 'ruined' as much as they were bad picks.

Yes, both were "gimmick" QBs. 

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Wyche'sWarrior - 09-08-2023

(09-07-2023, 11:06 PM)TheFan Wrote: How many good QBs have ever not signed a 2nd contract with the team that drafted them? I genuinely can't even think of the last time. Drew Brees? I don't understand why people keep acting like its some miracle he did an extension with us. In Burrows life we've been an average to above average franchise. 

This your first couple of years being a Bengals fan? Ninja

Seriously though, there have been a lot of heartache and snakebites through the years for Who Dey Nation. I can understand why some fans would have been waiting for that proverbial other shoe to drop until this deal was done 

(09-07-2023, 11:09 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I have never heard of voiding a 5th year option.  It may be able to be renegotiated, maybe?  But voided?  Definitely requesting the link of the validation.

I hadn't heard of that either, but wondered if maybe some deals in the past had voided that option as some sort of good faith from a bad front office/team. 

(09-07-2023, 11:17 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: How’d it happen in the past? Who did we ruin? Carson had an excellent line in front of him and had an unfortunate injury.

He did until the last couple of years. Remember in 2009 we had to run unbalanced sets all year just to be able to run the ball? Same with Dalton. He had a great start, then his line went to shit the last couple of years and first couple of Joe's years. To me, that's where all of that talk came from, and it was justified.

Off topic, but these ain't your dad's Lions either.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - TheFan - 09-08-2023

(09-08-2023, 12:03 AM)Wyche Wrote: This your first couple of years being a Bengals fan? Ninja

Seriously though, there have been a lot of heartache and snakebites through the years for Who Dey Nation. I can understand why some fans would have been waiting for that proverbial other shoe to drop until this deal was done 

Hah I 100% agree when it comes to on the field scenarios. If something could randomly go wrong for the Bengals it has.

But when it comes to signing our top players, that's one thing the Bengals have rarely failed to do. 

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Nicomo Cosca - 09-08-2023

(09-08-2023, 12:10 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Off topic, but these ain't your dad's Lions either.

They might make some noise in a weak NFC but I’ll never be a big believer in Jared Goff. That said, finish them Chiefs off!

I haven’t watched the whole game but it sounds like KC’s new tackles look pretty shaky. After an entire offseason of hearing their fans bash Brown…