Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Lapham says . . . - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: Lapham says . . . (/Thread-Lapham-says)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Lapham says . . . - BURROWorBUST - 03-17-2017

Just heard Lapham predict we go pass rusher at #9.

If one of our top pass rushers isn't there at 9 who is worth that high of a pick, we go "receiver."

So, that could mean Solomon Thomas, the most likely pass rusher to be there?

He didn't specify WR or TE, but we might assume WR. In my mind, that's Ross or Davis.

Doesn't Lap have some kind of record of being good at predicting our picks?

RE: Lapham says . . . - Bengalpool - 03-17-2017

(03-17-2017, 11:15 PM)Shady Wrote: Just heard Lapham predict we go pass rusher at #9.

If one of our top pass rushers isn't there at 9 who is worth that high of a pick, we go "receiver."

He didn't specify WR or TE, but we might assume WR. In my mind, that's Ross or Davis.

He does actually... I want Thomas at #9 or if he's gone trade down and take Taco. Otherwise I'm fine with Ross, Davis or OJ (in that order).

RE: Lapham says . . . - Goalpost - 03-17-2017

I agree with Lap here. Barnett could still be in play here also.

RE: Lapham says . . . - BURROWorBUST - 03-18-2017

(03-17-2017, 11:34 PM)Takedown Wrote: He does actually... I want Thomas at #9 or if he's gone trade down and take Taco. Otherwise I'm fine with Ross, Davis or OJ (in that order).

I'd be ok with Thomas. Strongly prefer him over Taco. A little unsure of how he'd do at DE in our scheme. It would be something new, not our typical model. He's damn sure strong and has a motor, but can he set the edge AND rush the passer? I think I'd move him inside on passing downs with Geno. Get some one like Devonte Fields to rush from the outside. 

I'm with you on Ross over Davis, though either would be perfectly fine by me. 

RE: Lapham says . . . - Shake n Blake - 03-18-2017

I'd rather go with Fournette (if he's there), then TJ Watt in round 2 as a pass rusher/DE.

Some might say Watt is undersized at 6'4" 252lbs, but he has room to add muscle. Plus Watt is projected to go right around where our 2nd rounder is.

(03-18-2017, 02:28 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd rather go with Fournette (if he's there), then TJ Watt in round 2 as a pass rusher/DE.

Some might say Watt is undersized at 6'4" 252lbs, but he has room to add muscle. Plus Watt is projected to go right around where our 2nd rounder is.

So would i. I was a little shocked Lap didn't mention him as a possibility. 

RE: Lapham says . . . - wolfkaosaun - 03-18-2017

(03-17-2017, 11:15 PM)Shady Wrote: Just heard Lapham predict we go pass rusher at #9.

He is pretty good. For instance, he brought up drafting Will Fuller last year. Apparently that was someone the Bengals really wanted.

He also predicted the Bengals would go for Eifert.

(03-18-2017, 02:55 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: He is pretty good. For instance, he brought up drafting Will Fuller last year. Apparently that was someone the Bengals really wanted.

He also predicted the Bengals would go for Eifert.

I know you're big on Barnet. I watched Voch's tape and review of him tonight. He's been a consensus pick for us for some time now.  What makes you think he's going to be that kind of player in the NFL? I mean, what makes you think he'll perform like a top 10 pick? 

RE: Lapham says . . . - Jpoore - 03-18-2017

Id go williams, davis, then if none are there dont go wr. Trade back even farther and get some second round picks out of it. Just please dont go taco.

RE: Lapham says . . . - wolfkaosaun - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 03:02 AM)Shady Wrote: I know you're big on Barnet. I watched Voch's tape and review of him tonight. He's been a consensus pick for us for some time now.  What makes you think he's going to be that kind of player in the NFL? I mean, what makes you think he'll perform like a top 10 pick? 

I've seen it too and he does bring up good points.

His biggest issues are he jumps off the ball/guesses snap count and mostly beats you outside. He's VERY good at winning outside since most of his impact plays come from that, but if he can create a counter move and attack to the inside when the OT goes all out to defend the edge, he could be deadly.

Sure, he has won from the inside before, but hasn't been as consistent there as he has on winning from the outside. If he can add that, he can be something special. I like him and Thomas, but I believe if Barnett can get that inside move, he has every chance to be the best pass rusher in this draft.

RE: Lapham says . . . - Bengalpool - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 12:36 AM)Shady Wrote: I'd be ok with Thomas. Strongly prefer him over Taco. A little unsure of how he'd do at DE in our scheme. It would be something new, not our typical model. He's damn sure strong and has a motor, but can he set the edge AND rush the passer? I think I'd move him inside on passing downs with Geno. Get some one like Devonte Fields to rush from the outside. 

I'm with you on Ross over Davis, though either would be perfectly fine by me. 

I'm not an expert, but from what I've read Taco has been compared to Dunlap and having another Dunlap opposite, I'd be okay with. Could be better could be worse. I could live with Taco, just not at #9.

(03-18-2017, 01:58 PM)Takedown Wrote: I'm not an expert, but from what I've read Taco has been compared to Dunlap and having another Dunlap opposite, I'd be okay with. Could be better could be worse. I could live with Taco, just not at #9.

Yeah, I'd be fine with Taco in the second, maybe even late in the 1st, depending on what we got for trading down. 

RE: Lapham says . . . - Bengalpool - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 04:12 PM)Shady Wrote: Yeah, I'd be fine with Taco in the second, maybe even late in the 1st, depending on what we got for trading down. 

Agreed

RE: Lapham says . . . - Au165 - 03-20-2017

(03-18-2017, 04:12 PM)Shady Wrote: Yeah, I'd be fine with Taco in the second, maybe even late in the 1st, depending on what we got for trading down. 

He is a mid 1st guy, here is the thing though if he is your guy at 15 he needs to be your guy at 9 otherwise he probably shouldn't have been your guy at 15. The reason I say that is at the end of the season no one is going to care you picked him 6 picks too early or too late they will care about production. Now when you start talking taking guys whole rounds ahead I agree, but when your talking about early mid late I think you just have to get your guy if it's your guy because he isn't making it to the next round. The whole trade back thing always sounds good, but getting those deals done during the draft doesn't always work out.

RE: Lapham says . . . - Bengal Dude - 03-20-2017

Lap is pretty good. He nailed Zeitler and Eifert early on in the draft process in 2012 and 2013. He went with Roby in 2014, but he said he didn't think Dennard would be there. On draft day in 2015, he told everyone to keep an eye on Cedric Ogbuehi. He was high on a WR last year. He did mention Fuller, and then I read not long ago that our attempted trade up with Texans was for Fuller last year.

The key is Lap and Hoard are allowed in the war room a couple of days before the draft. So he doesn't come out and say that we're taking this guy or that guy, but we need to keep an eye on a couple of names.

RE: Lapham says . . . - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-20-2017

Lap knows his stuff and these are the right moves in the first this year to me.

Barnett or Solomon Thomas are the two guy i like. Barnett is more of the pure pass rusher but he is not as physical as
Solomon would be very happy with either one. Like you said, if both of these guys are gone i really would love to line up
John Ross or Corey Davis opposite AJ. The O-line, specifically Center have to be addressed in the 2nd to 4th rounds tho.

Hopefully we take an End in the first, that is all i can say. Got to get after the QB, would even be for trading down and
grabbing Taco or Reddick.

RE: Lapham says . . . - milksheikh - 03-20-2017

The thing I have a problem with is..

If you're going to take a receiver, why extend LaFell?

Why not just take a receiver when LaFell leaves or when he regresses (maybe next season).

RE: Lapham says . . . - CJD - 03-20-2017

I think pass rusher is like...a 90% chance at this point.

RE: Lapham says . . . - Bengal Dude - 03-20-2017

(03-20-2017, 04:53 PM)milksheikh Wrote: The thing I have a problem with is..

If you're going to take a receiver, why extend LaFell?

Why not just take a receiver when LaFell leaves or when he regresses (maybe next season).

LaFell's deal is basically a 1 year deal. If they cut him before the 5th day in the new league year in 2018, they owe him nothing else. The thought is that most WRs take a year or two to develop and we know how Marvin operates. I could see us draft a guy at 9 and start him slow before phasing out LaFell, if the rookie actually shows us something.

RE: Lapham says . . . - Shake n Blake - 03-20-2017

(03-20-2017, 05:01 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: LaFell's deal is basically a 1 year deal. If they cut him before the 5th day in the new league year in 2018, they owe him nothing else. The thought is that most WRs take a year or two to develop and we know how Marvin operates. I could see us draft a guy at 9 and start him slow before phasing out LaFell, if the rookie actually shows us something.

If we take a WR at #9, I'd want it to be a guy that's going to hit the ground running and start right away. If we take a guy like that, I don't think LaFell would be very valuable in 2017. For one, he makes too much to be a #4 WR, and if he's the #3, he's keeping Boyd from getting serious snaps.

So basically, I'm with milksheikh.