Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Seen Worse Times - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Seen Worse Times (/Thread-Seen-Worse-Times)

Pages: 1 2

Seen Worse Times - Luvnit2 - 03-18-2017

I will say upfront, I have major concerns for 2017. But, I remember experts and our fans predicting us to be the 32nd best team in the league when Palmer left abruptly (not part of our plan). We made the playoffs.I am going to take a deep breath and try to find some positives. We missed the playoffs for the first time in 6 years. We lost a lot of 1 score games. We still have Geno, Dunlap, Green and Andy.

We will all have plenty of time to b itch and moan if our fears become a reality. But as now, they are just fears and worry. Let's get ready for the draft and our 11 picks to hopefully shore up some of those weaknesses. Let's give some optimism to 2 key guys Jackson and Billings who did not play a snap last year. Let's hope Burfict, Green and other splay all 16 games.

So my fellow faithful, can you add some optimism?

RE: Seen Worse Times - magikod - 03-18-2017

If we can find a way to get this offensive line working good together I think our season will be fine next year.

RE: Seen Worse Times - SunsetBengal - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 03:26 PM)magikod Wrote: If we can find a way to get this offensive line working good together I think our season will be fine next year.

I feel confident after learning that they are putting Andre Smith at RG, that the interior of the OL should be sound.  I'm also comfortable with Fisher at RT, leaving the only major concern being Ogbuehi's development at LT.  I could see a lot of Strong Left formations, a renewed use of Hewitt to help on the edges in blocking.

RE: Seen Worse Times - eoxyod - 03-18-2017

The entire AFC is terrible except for the Patriots so it really is anyone's opportunity to make the playoffs

RE: Seen Worse Times - BengalChris - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 03:26 PM)magikod Wrote: If we can find a way to get this offensive line working good together I think our season will be fine next year.

The weak O-line last year and the further weakening of it this year makes it hard to be optimistic and is a depressing combination. If Ogbuehi and Fisher have a sudden dramatic improvement and the line protects the QB and opens holes for the running game, then we could be in good shape with a good draft.

But we all witnessed Ogbuehi just get pushed all over the place last year and we all saw Whit and Zeitler were clearly the most talented guys on that line, so one has to sort of stretch their hope pretty far to believe 2017 will be a good year. The front office isn't helping people see a bright future and Marv talks as if he's whistling past the grave yard when he says the O-line is fine.

RE: Seen Worse Times - Luvnit2 - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 03:44 PM)eoxyod Wrote: The entire AFC is terrible except for the Patriots so it really is anyone's opportunity to make the playoffs

Good point. I would add our schedule playing the AFC South versus the AFC East is a plus. We also play a 3rd place schedule versus a 1st place schedule which could swing 1 or 2 games to our side.

RE: Seen Worse Times - TheUberHuber - 03-18-2017

You can't win many games with a crappie oline. If they would have been able to fix the oline earlier last year we could have still been contenders. The rest of the team has a ton of talent and the defense started getting it together down the stretch. The oline was HORRIBLE last year. Not just bad. You can't do any sort of gameplan with that.

RE: Seen Worse Times - Derrick - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 03:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I feel confident after learning that they are putting Andre Smith at RG, that the interior of the OL should be sound.  I'm also comfortable with Fisher at RT, leaving the only major concern being Ogbuehi's development at LT.  I could see a lot of Strong Left formations, a renewed use of Hewitt to help on the edges in blocking.

Don't forget "Bovine" at center... Nervous

RE: Seen Worse Times - SunsetBengal - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 06:46 PM)Derrick Wrote: Don't forget "Bovine" at center... Nervous

We're trying to be optimistic in this thread, per the OP..  WTS, as much as it pains me to admit it, Bodine stepped up his game as the year went on.

RE: Seen Worse Times - wolfkaosaun - 03-18-2017

Here's some positivity.

The Bengals currently have 8 Pro Bowl players.

Marvin Lewis hasn't been extended.

(03-18-2017, 06:34 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: You can't win many games with a crappie oline. If they would have been able to fix the oline earlier last year we could have still been contenders. The rest of the team has a ton of talent and the defense started getting it together down the stretch. The oline was HORRIBLE last year.  Not just bad. You can't do any sort of gameplan with that.

Are you saying our OL that was not good a year ago needed no changes? Maybe year 3 will be great for Ced and Jake and Andre move to guard works out. BTW..Zeitler was ot great n pass blocking a year ago just as a reminder.

Maybe we needed drastic change for the OL to get better

I am hearing we signed Minter. If so, it would be an upgrade over Rey M. IMHO

RE: Seen Worse Times - Luvnit2 - 03-19-2017

No doubt a big concern. I know last year it was bad, so no changes would have been bad, but losing 2 of our known best OL could hurt us. Just have to see if Ced and Andre can be better than Whitt and Zeitler, the right OT was dismal so hopefully Jake or anyone is better than last year.

RE: Seen Worse Times - magikod - 03-19-2017

(03-19-2017, 09:05 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: No doubt a big concern. I know last year it was bad, so no changes would have been bad, but losing 2 of our known best OL could hurt us. Just have to see if Ced and Andre can be better than Whitt and Zeitler, the right OT was dismal so hopefully Jake or anyone is better than last year.

Ced is a huge question mark, I think Andre will do fine personally. 

(03-19-2017, 09:20 AM)magikod Wrote: Ced is a huge question mark, I think Andre will do fine personally. 

Ced is a huge question mark, but everything I read he was a top 3 to 5 pick prior to his injury. He would have been drafted to start day 1. Well, we gave him 2 years of watching and learning one of the best of all time so I am hopeful it pays off in 2017. Jake too has to step up, yes lots of concerns, but every team is banking on guys on their roster to step up, the playoff teams will have guys do it, others will not.

RE: Seen Worse Times - jason - 03-19-2017

Mike Nugent is gone. They will probably only have 1-2 primetime games this year.

(03-19-2017, 09:39 AM)jason Wrote: Mike Nugent is gone. They will probably only have 1-2 primetime games this year.

Nugent did cost us a lot last year, good point I forgot how he hurt us in the close losses. I have to admit, I have come to hate prime time games at home. Too late for this old guy. Also, we will 8 versus 7 home games as no trip to London.

RE: Seen Worse Times - SunsetBengal - 03-19-2017

(03-19-2017, 09:39 AM)jason Wrote: Mike Nugent is gone. They will probably only have 1-2 primetime games this year.

Hell yeah, I almost forgot that Nuge wasn't around to screw anything else up.

RE: Seen Worse Times - Go Cards - 03-19-2017

and the 90's was even worse than that.

Yet you are correct certainly they should turn it around immediately. As someone already pointed out that the AFC is not strong, nor is our division.

We have two 1st round picks on OL, a 2nd rounder and a Center we traded up for, one of the best WR in NFL, one of the best DT's in NFL, and a HC and OL coach with a ton of NFL experience and a SB ring.

Should be dominant and there really is no excuses if they are not in contention.

RE: Seen Worse Times - Go Cards - 03-19-2017

Will be exciting to see who they draft with that early selection. Plus have a boatload more picks to follow as well.