Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver (/Thread-Brandon-LaFell-IS-the-Answer-at-Wide-Receiver)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - WeezyBengal - 03-22-2017

I keep seeing people post about drafting a wide receiver in the first round and it makes me sick. This team has SO many more needs than wide receiver. We have Lafell, Eiffert, AJ, and Boyd (a second round pick who will only be better than last year). That is PLENTY of weapons through the air.

What if we had still had Marvin Jones, would you then want us to go out and get a receiver? No, you say? Why, because Marvin Jones was good?

Well, look at these numbers:

Comparing Marvin Jones' 2015 with the Bengals (hit last year) and Lafell's numbers with the Bengals in 2016

Marvin Jones
103 Targets
65 Receptions
816 yards
4 TDs

Brandon Lafell
106 Targets
64 Receptions
862 yards
6 TDS

Fred stated it in another post and heres the numbers to back it up. Lafell was good last year. As good or better than Marvin Jones was for us. The dude can be the answer at wide receiver for us and he proved it in the second half of last year.

RE: Brandon LaFell is the Answer at Wide Receiver - jj22 - 03-22-2017

Jones did it with a healthy Green. Lafell didn't really show up until Green was injured. Lafell is an ok piece, but he's not the missing piece at wideout Jones brought the offense. Jones opened up the middle/intermediate of the field as defenses cleared out to cover him deep.

Jones fought Green for those reception. I think that makes the numbers a little different with perspective.

RE: Brandon LaFell is the Answer at Wide Receiver - PDub80 - 03-22-2017

(03-22-2017, 05:41 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I keep seeing people post about drafting a wide receiver in the first round and it makes me sick. This team has SO many more needs than wide receiver. We have Lafell, Eiffert, AJ, and Boyd (a second round pick who will only be better than last year). That is PLENTY of weapons through the air.

What if we had still had Marvin Jones, would you then want us to go out and get a receiver? No, you say? Why, because Marvin Jones was good?

Comparing Marvin Jones' 2015 with the Bengals (hit last year) and Lafell's numbers with the Bengals in 2016

Marvin Jones
103 Targets
65 Receptions
816 yards
4 TDs

Brandon Lafell
106 Targets
64 Receptions
862 yards
6 TDS

Fred stated it in another post and heres the numbers to back it up. Lafell was good last year. As good or better than Marvin Jones was for us. The dude can be the answer at wide receiver for us and he proved it in the second half of last year.

The Bengals were terrible in the redzone. I think the Bengals need more production all around. RB, and WR.

Green is 28. The hill is coming quickly. The Bengals need another WR to start carrying the load.

RE: Brandon LaFell is the Answer at Wide Receiver - Au165 - 03-22-2017

(03-22-2017, 05:42 PM)jj22 Wrote: Jones did it with a healthy Green. Lafell didn't really show up until Green was injured. Lafell is an ok piece, but he's not the missing piece at wideout Jones brought the offense. Jones opened up the middle/intermediate of the field as defenses cleared out to cover him deep.

Jones fought Green for those reception. I think that makes the numbers a little different with perspective.

Lafell was targeted 52 times in the final six games when Green was out, but only 55 in the first ten. I think the issue was more of a lack of opportunity rather than ability. Hopefully the positive end of the year gives Andy confidence to throw to him. Obviously, starting out the year he was a new weapon that he had to develop chemistry with.

RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - jj22 - 03-22-2017

Let me just say then as a primary receiver you should take his numbers with that in mind as compared to a number 2 (really 3 because Eifert was healthy most of 2015).

I think it's something to consider.

Lafell contributed. I just don't buy he's the answer, or brought to the offense what Jones did.

Jones fought for those numbers against probowl (probowl like) healthy receivers in Green, Eifert, Gio, and Sanu.

Lafell... Against Hill and Boyd.

Not trying to slam Lafell, just adding some perspective.

RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - WeezyBengal - 03-22-2017

(03-22-2017, 05:42 PM)jj22 Wrote: Jones did it with a healthy Green. Lafell didn't really show up until Green was injured. Lafell is an ok piece, but he's not the missing piece at wideout Jones brought the offense. Jones opened up the middle/intermediate of the field as defenses cleared out to cover him deep.

So you're telling me that Lafell couldnt do it when he was the teams number 2 option in the passing game but could do it when he was the number 1 option in the passing game and he had the opponents best corner covering him? That makes no sense. 

Lafell got better as the season progressed because he became more in sync with Andy and got more opportunity.

AJ going down helped inflate his numbers, but he still earned those numbers. He still got open and was productive. Just because someone gets injured it doesnt completely negate your ability and productivity.

(03-22-2017, 05:46 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The Bengals were terrible in the redzone. I think the Bengals need more production all around. RB, and WR.

Green is 28. The hill is coming quickly. The Bengals need another WR to start carrying the load.

Eiffert being out most of the year hurt their red zone production. This is the primary reason. 

RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - Slythe - 03-22-2017

I think Lafell was great last year and earned his keep. Outproduced Jones the year before, flat out. Jones would disappear for longer stretches than one week like Lafell.

Glad we resigned him and hope Core and Boyd keep getting targets. I'm honestly really excited about our WRs these days.

(03-22-2017, 05:52 PM)Slythe Wrote: I think Lafell was great last year and earned his keep. Outproduced Jones the year before, flat out. Jones would disappear for longer stretches than one week like Lafell.

Glad we resigned him and hope Core and Boyd keep getting targets. I'm honestly really excited about our WRs these days.

He out produced Jones last year as well when Jones was in Detroit. 

RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - jj22 - 03-22-2017

(03-22-2017, 05:50 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: So you're telling me that Lafell couldnt do it when he was the teams number 2 option in the passing game but could do it when he was the number 1 option in the passing game and he had the opponents best corner covering him? That makes no sense. 

Lafell got better as the season progressed because he became more in sync with Andy and got more opportunity.

AJ going down helped inflate his numbers, but he still earned those numbers. He still got open and was productive. Just because someone gets injured it doesnt completely negate your ability and productivity.

I'm just saying a number 2 option having comparable numbers to a number 4 option should be taken into consideration.

RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - masonbengals fan - 03-22-2017

Bengals have a lot more pressing needs than WR

RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - wolfkaosaun - 03-22-2017

(03-22-2017, 05:54 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He out produced Jones last year as well when Jones was in Detroit. 

How so? 2 more TDs and 9 more catches?

But LaFell was a #1 option. Only 7 times did LaFell eclipse 60 yards a game. Yet 4 of those came in the 7 games Green was injured. And don't forget, we didn't have Eifert either.

Marvin Jones also had 7 games where he eclipsed 60 yards a game.

The Lions had Golden Tate, Eric Ebron, and Anquon Boldin to pair with Jones. All 3 of those players had 61 or more receptions. Then throw in Jones who had 55.

The Bengals only had 2 receivers with over 55 receptions. Green and LaFell. Next was Boyd with 54. After him? Eifert with 24.

The Lions had 5 receivers with over 52 receptions.

RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - PDub80 - 03-22-2017

(03-22-2017, 05:51 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Eiffert being out most of the year hurt their red zone production. This is the primary reason. 

I get that to a degree, but they can't have redzine production 00% hinging on 1 guy. They need a bigger target at WR to be able to stretch the sides down there. LaFell, as much as I'm ok with him being a Bengal, doesn't add much in that department.

RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - Luvnit2 - 03-22-2017

(03-22-2017, 05:41 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I keep seeing people post about drafting a wide receiver in the first round and it makes me sick. This team has SO many more needs than wide receiver. We have Lafell, Eiffert, AJ, and Boyd (a second round pick who will only be better than last year). That is PLENTY of weapons through the air.

Marvin Jones
103 Targets
65 Receptions
816 yards
4 TDs

Brandon Lafell
106 Targets
64 Receptions
862 yards
6 TDS

TY for posting the facts and comparison. I agree WR is not a 1st round need to start immediately. But, we re picking this year #9 so we  do need a starter/strong contributer year one,not a project

RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - bengalfan74 - 03-22-2017

Lafell was a good signing, he can contribute, and probably is a decent number 2. However we still need a burner who can stretch the field. Is that Core ? Mid round draft pick ?

I agree with others though that WR is down the need list a couple rungs.

RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - PDub80 - 03-22-2017

(03-22-2017, 06:47 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: TY for posting the facts and comparison. I agree WR is not a 1st round need to start immediately. But, we re picking this year #9 so we  do need a starter/strong contributer year one,not a project

I think the Bengals roster grossly underachieved last year.

I don't think anyone from college can come in and start talent wise with the exception of RB. The NFL game is too hard to adjust to and the Bengals have experienced talent already.

RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - eoxyod - 03-22-2017

There are a couple of factors not shown here:
1. Jones has/had more long term upside, and is still much more dynamic. Posting raw stats to compare the 2 is pointless
2. LaFell has about half the talent Jones has
3. LaFell has been long term more disappointing in the league, and it's hard to say last year was much different
4. Corey Davis, if the Bengals were to get him, should be leagues ahead of other WRs we could acquire and again, is a stronger option long term
5. LaFell's deal is basically a cop out on the 2nd year. Even the Bengals are prepared to cut him next year if they get a good enough options
6. Dalton is a QB that needs about everything going right around him to be great, so giving him more works
7. Eifert is not reliable at all so scratch him out of the equation

Now overall WR is not the most important position in the world. You can win without great ones, but if the other talent doesn't fit the Bengals in the draft and a player like Davis is there, you pull the trigger without a 2nd thought

RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - WeezyBengal - 03-23-2017

(03-22-2017, 06:58 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I think the Bengals roster grossly underachieved last year.

I don't think anyone from college can come in and start talent wise with the exception of RB. The NFL game is too hard to adjust to and the Bengals have experienced talent already.

How can you say the Bengals roster greatly underachieved last year when they had the likes of Obghui, Bodine, Malaluga, and Dansby on the team? 

This team wasn't as talented as we thought they were last year and its even worse this year. 

RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - SHRacerX - 03-23-2017

Marvin Jones
103 Targets
65 Receptions
816 yards
4 TDs

Brandon Lafell
106 Targets
64 Receptions
862 yards
6 TDS

Good does not win playoff games or challenge for the Super Bowl.  A vertical threat to pair with AJ Green is the missing piece.  It makes it impossible for a defense to crowd the line by forcing them to defend every inch of the field.  No one had to double LaFell or Jones, that is why they posted respectable numbers. 

It isn't just the position group, but the player rankings at #9.  If Garrett, Barnett, and Thomas are gone, there won't be a DE there that is worth the pick.  Nor will there be a OT, G, C, DT, LB, or QB (for us).  That largely leaves Howard the TE, a couple of RBs (who are really good, but Cook has character issues),  one of two safeties (we have long-term contracts on our two, but one could make the argument for Hooker), CB (let's do it again!), or WR.  Both Ross and Davis are transcendent talents.  

It would be like having two #1 WRs to pair with some really good TEs (if they can stay healthy).  

RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - PDub80 - 03-23-2017

(03-23-2017, 09:02 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: How can you say the Bengals roster greatly underachieved last year when they had the likes of Obghui, Bodine, Malaluga, and Dansby on the team? 

This team wasn't as talented as we thought they were last year and its even worse this year. 

Several reasons...

- They had the lead in the 4th quarter in most of their losses and couldn't finish. In previous years the same players could and did finish.

- Historically reliable kicker fell apart or they would have been in playoffs. In previous years...

- Two star players couldn't get in the field at the same time (they are still in the roster and healthy). In previous years...

- You named 4 players out of 50+ that either had a tough year or are developing.

The core group of talent at key positions hasn't changed. The roster was and still is immensely talented and in their prime. They grossly underachieved last year. I don't see another way to look at it.