Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
I'm looking into 4K TV - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Klotsch (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Klotsch)
+--- Thread: I'm looking into 4K TV (/Thread-I-m-looking-into-4K-TV)

Pages: 1 2

I'm looking into 4K TV - Tiger Teeth - 03-29-2017

What do you guys know that might help me?

RE: I'm looking into 4K TV - fredtoast - 03-30-2017

You can get a really good TV for a lot less than 4K.

RE: I'm looking into 4K TV - magikod - 03-30-2017

Be weary, I had a 4k TV and had to return it after a week. It was killing my eyes.

RE: I'm looking into 4K TV - Tiger Teeth - 03-30-2017

(03-30-2017, 05:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You can get a really good TV for a lot less than 4K.

(03-30-2017, 05:09 PM)magikod Wrote: Be weary, I had a 4k TV and had to return it after a week. It was killing my eyes.

Well.  I'm no longer interested in 4K TV's.  Besides, I don't think there's a lot of 4K stuff available.

RE: I'm looking into 4K TV - WeezyBengal - 03-31-2017

(03-30-2017, 06:38 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Well.  I'm no longer interested in 4K TV's.  Besides, I don't think there's a lot of 4K stuff available.

I was at Sams the other day and they had 4K TVs on sale. I had never seen a 4K TV before and I was absolutely blown away with the picture quality. It was like the first time I saw HD. 

I would wait until cable providers start providing 4K service (if they dont already) and then take the jump. Im serious though, go to the store and check out the demos, they are unreal. 

RE: I'm looking into 4K TV - xxlt - 03-31-2017

(03-31-2017, 10:13 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I was at Sams the other day and they had 4K TVs on sale. I had never seen a 4K TV before and I was absolutely blown away with the picture quality. It was like the first time I saw HD. 

I would wait until cable providers start providing 4K service (if they dont already) and then take the jump. Im serious though, go to the store and check out the demos, they are unreal. 

Solid advice. People overpaid for HD TVs for like 10 years - there were no broadcasts in HD. It was like buying an electric appliance and not having power in your house, or having a microwave and no food to warm up in it.

RE: I'm looking into 4K TV - CKwi88 - 03-31-2017

Now's not the time for 4K.

It'll be cheaper and with more services that are actually 4K in the near future.

RE: I'm looking into 4K TV - JustWinBaby - 03-31-2017

(03-31-2017, 11:23 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: It'll be cheaper and with more services that are actually 4K in the near future.

There are already some reasonably priced ones with excellent pictures.  Though the new OLED's are supposed to be amazing, but they are still pricey.  I have my doubts if an average person could tell the difference if those tv's weren't side by side.

Of course, standing 4 feet away from a 4K tv in showrooms designed to "blow you away" on more expensive tv's will be impressive.  But if you believe geometry, hardly anyone sits close enough to actually tell the difference on 4k vs 1080p.

I could go one step further and say that, in 5 years, people will probably turn to VR for fully immersive movie experiences, anyway.

RE: I'm looking into 4K TV - Tiger Teeth - 03-31-2017

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to wait. I saw the same demos as Weezy, and my jaw dropped. They are pretty impressive to say the least. But I think I'll wait until it's all more mainstream.

RE: I'm looking into 4K TV - Millhouse - 04-01-2017

For 4k, you need : a 4k t.v. obviously, a device that can play or stream or both in 4k such as the Xbox One S (both), blu-ray players that support 4k, Chromecast or Roku (streaming only). If you are streaming 4k, I think you need a minimum of 15 mb/s speed connection, or that is recommended at least. And lastly you need stuff in 4k to watch, which I dont know if it is worth it at the moment, though more and more is coming out.

RE: I'm looking into 4K TV - magikod - 04-02-2017

Yeah they have some killer deals on the 4k TV's lately, I saw a Samsung I believe 50" 4k TV for like 399$.

RE: I'm looking into 4K TV - BmorePat87 - 04-03-2017

(03-29-2017, 10:53 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: What do you guys know that might help me?

I haven't sold TV's in nearly 6 years, I'm so out of the loops.

However, I always trusted CNET reviews when I did.

https://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/products/

RE: I'm looking into 4K TV - Goalpost - 04-03-2017

Agree with the majority here. It is too early to buy a 4K. There are a few settings in a 4K tv that can take the '1080' into a clearer picture, but you are not getting true 4K. The technology is basically ahead of the broadcasters at this point. I think one of the dish companies offers some of their 'on demand' in 4K

RE: I'm looking into 4K TV - XenoMorph - 04-03-2017

(03-30-2017, 06:38 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Well.  I'm no longer interested in 4K TV's.  Besides, I don't think there's a lot of 4K stuff available.

with all new tech its best to wait unless you already need a replacement.

The 3d tvs the 4 color tvs  etc  where are they now? you don't here about new media coming out for them. or see any comericals any more.

4k is suppose to be the next step.  but most tv channels don't broadcast in anything higher than 720p

But really with 1080i/p I think we are past to point (or very close to the limit) of what the human eye can intake.

Just like I cant notice a huge difference between blue ray and dvd   except the price lol

there are games being made for only 4k  but that's about the only thing I heard of...  (and only the newest systems support UPSCALING to 4k not actual 4k itself yet)

RE: I'm looking into 4K TV - JustWinBaby - 04-03-2017

In a dedicated home theater room with a massive screen, you might very well sit close enough to see a difference with 4k. Probably the route I will go, but right now 4k projectors are ridiculous.

But for a regular living room, you won't be close enough to the screen to see a difference unless you have a massively embarrassing setup that dominates the room.

Netflix has a lot of their originals available in 4k, and I expect a lot of movies to be available on bluray in the next year or two. So I wouldn't upgrade for its own sake, but if you need a replacement I'd futureproof (since you'd hope to have the tv at least 8 years).

RE: I'm looking into 4K TV - Tiger Teeth - 04-03-2017

(04-03-2017, 02:28 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: but if you need a replacement I'd futureproof (since you'd hope to have the tv at least 8 years).

This was my original thought process.  We're going to get a bigger TV, probably 50" or so, and I just wondered if I would wish I'd looked into 4K a few years down the line.  

RE: I'm looking into 4K TV - JustWinBaby - 04-03-2017

(04-03-2017, 05:37 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: This was my original thought process.  We're going to get a bigger TV, probably 50" or so, and I just wondered if I would wish I'd looked into 4K a few years down the line.  

Again, according to eyeball geometry, with a 50" tv you need to sit closer than 6.5 feet to START to see the benefit of 4k.  With a 65" tv (which is a much bigger screen), you have to sit closer than about 8 feet.  And I'm guessing the wife isn't going to let you plunk down the couch that close to the tv.

I don't know what your budget is, but if I was in the market for a new tv I'm going for the best picture...and that just happens to also be 4k:  LG's OLED55B6P.   It's about $2300 new right now (from reputable dealers), but I imagine prices will come down several hundred over the next 6-12 months.

The LG 55EG9100 (1080p) is a good compromise for $1400, but it's a curved display instead of flat.

RE: I'm looking into 4K TV - bfine32 - 04-03-2017

Kind of on the subject, but take the in store view with a grain of salt. I have been told by reliable sources that they will give the better feed to the more expensive TVs, so the picture looks better. Just read lots and lots of reviews and buy the best value.

(04-03-2017, 07:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Kind of on the subject, but take the in store view with a grain of salt. I have been told by reliable sources that they will give the better feed to the more expensive TVs, so the picture looks better. Just read lots and lots of reviews and buy the best value.

Yeah, I can see now that I really need to think this through before I spend a shit ton of money on something I won't be able to see a difference in.  

(04-03-2017, 05:58 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Again, according to eyeball geometry, with a 50" tv you need to sit closer than 6.5 feet to START to see the benefit of 4k.  With a 65" tv (which is a much bigger screen), you have to sit closer than about 8 feet.  And I'm guessing the wife isn't going to let you plunk down the couch that close to the tv.

I don't know what your budget is, but if I was in the market for a new tv I'm going for the best picture...and that just happens to also be 4k:  LG's OLED55B6P.   It's about $2300 new right now (from reputable dealers), but I imagine prices will come down several hundred over the next 6-12 months.

The LG 55EG9100 (1080p) is a good compromise for $1400, but it's a curved display instead of flat.

Man, you certainly know your way around when it comes to this subject.  Thanks for all the info.  Thanks to all of you guys, you've been very helpful!