Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
New PnR Moderator - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: New PnR Moderator (/Thread-New-PnR-Moderator)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

New PnR Moderator - bfine32 - 07-25-2015

Matt has tapped out and we need a replacement. I think those here should have a say. Regardless what I may say; I think most (not all) on here are fairly intelligent folk. So who do we nominate?

I vote St Lucie. Guy frequents the board and I have never seen him personally attack anyone; regardless how many times folk attack him. I would also suggest Zona; as I have never seen him make it personal.

Anybody else out there we could suggest?

RE: New PnR Moderator - Rotobeast - 07-26-2015

(07-25-2015, 11:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Matt has tapped out and we need a replacement. I think those here should have a say. Regardless what I may say; I think most (not all) on here are fairly intelligent folk. So who do we nominate?

I vote St Lucie. Guy frequents the board and I have never seen him personally attack anyone; regardless how many times folk attack him. I would also suggest Zona; as I have never seen him make it personal.

Wyche's Warrior.
Always a class act.
ThumbsUp

RE: New PnR Moderator - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 07-26-2015

Tough call, it's pretty obvious members are pretty divided in here (almost as bad as congress LOL ).  Sad to see Matt go, as mod anyway, always thought he was the perfect guy for it.  Even if we nominated someone, they'd want to have to do it.  As far as I know it is voluntary.

Maybe we should let candidates throw their hat in the ring and we can vote on it? 

RE: New PnR Moderator - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-26-2015

(07-25-2015, 11:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Matt has tapped out and we need a replacement. I think those here should have a say. Regardless what I may say; I think most (not all) on here are fairly intelligent folk. So who do we nominate?

I'd officially stop posting entirely if that happened.  Maybe that's your intent?

There are a slew of people who are better qualified IMO, posting frequency shouldn't be a consideration at all.  I'd be fine with DA, he's a contrarian but he's always been fair and civil about it.  Seriously though, Lucie?  Why not nominate Dabo while you're at it?

RE: New PnR Moderator - JustWinBaby - 07-26-2015

LMAO...I had many directions to go with this post, but all I could come up with was "WTF?!?"

RE: New PnR Moderator - BonnieBengal - 07-26-2015

St Lucie would be great. We need someone who treats others with respect.

(07-26-2015, 02:40 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'd officially stop posting entirely if that happened.  Maybe that's your intent?

There are a slew of people who are better qualified IMO, posting frequency shouldn't be a consideration at all.  I'd be fine with DA, he's a contrarian but he's always been fair and civil about it.  Seriously though, Lucie?  Why not nominate Dabo while you're at it?

Well I hope it's someone who, unlike you, doesn't attack people and resort to name calling and insults.

RE: New PnR Moderator - treee - 07-26-2015

I say we just close PnR altogether.

(07-26-2015, 07:03 AM)treee Wrote: I say we just close PnR altogether.

Absolutely no reason to do that.

RE: New PnR Moderator - Belsnickel - 07-26-2015

There may not be a new mod specific to PnR at all. The current mod team could handle the job by replying on reports alone. It would just be up to the posters to be responsible about when things get to far.

In truth, I am with bfine on some of his earlier comments about someone not a regular moderating this. I had my hesitations about doing it for that reason, hard to appear impartial with that being the case. You can be impartial in what you do, but because you have a dog in the fight the appearance will always be that there is bias there. I was flattered upon being asked and so took the mantle reluctantly, but I firmly believe I was a poor choice for the job. I defended the decision before to try to make sure this subforum got off the ground, but it should not be someone posting here on the regular.

We self-policed on the other board by messaging the team or reporting when things got out of hand, which they gave us a long leash on, and I think that if the other staff are okay with that it should be the direction this forum should be in again.

(07-26-2015, 07:49 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: There may not be a new mod specific to PnR at all. The current mod team could handle the job by replying on reports alone. It would just be up to the posters to be responsible about when things get to far.

In truth, I am with bfine on some of his earlier comments about someone not a regular moderating this. I had my hesitations about doing it for that reason, hard to appear impartial with that being the case. You can be impartial in what you do, but because you have a dog in the fight the appearance will always be that there is bias there. I was flattered upon being asked and so took the mantle reluctantly, but I firmly believe I was a poor choice for the job. I defended the decision before to try to make sure this subforum got off the ground, but it should not be someone posting here on the regular.

We self-policed on the other board by messaging the team or reporting when things got out of hand, which they gave us a long leash on, and I think that if the other staff are okay with that it should be the direction this forum should be in again.

I don't think the old board was well policed at all.  A lot of people did not want to post there.  From what I can see, you have done a good job.  I think a new mod dedicated to this board would be best. 

RE: New PnR Moderator - Nebuchadnezzar - 07-26-2015

Ok, I'll do it.

No I won't, I don't want the job and I'm to biased to do the job fairly.

RE: New PnR Moderator - SunsetBengal - 07-26-2015

I would tend to agree with Matt.  There doesn't really need to be a dedicated moderator, specific to this subforum.  With the exception of a couple outliers, we are pretty much a balanced group that gets along with each other.

Besides, that is why each post has a "report" option, right?

RE: New PnR Moderator - Johnny Cupcakes - 07-26-2015

I'll vote no on the St. lucie nomination. I think that you guys have overstated his respectfulness by a massive amount. I'm not just saying that because I disagree with him most of the time, I would never suggest myself, or Pat, or Fred for the same reason. Talking down to the other side is not something that a moderator should do.

Matt was a good choice. If he's throwing in the towel, I don't really see any other good choices. Let's roll unmoderated.

(07-26-2015, 11:10 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I'll vote no on the St. lucie nomination.  I think that you guys have overstated his respectfulness by a massive amount.  I'm not just saying that because I disagree with him most of the time, I would never suggest myself, or Pat, or Fred for the same reason.  Talking down to the other side is not something that a moderator should do.

Matt was a good choice.  If he's throwing in the towel, I don't really see any other good choices.  Let's roll unmoderated.

The old Bengals.com unmoderated PnR board was not a pleasant place, and a lot of people stayed away.  There was a lot of talk about it being dominated by a few people all on the same side.  I would prefer a moderator.  If none of the suggestions are acceptable, then I say just let Bengalholic pick one.  

(07-26-2015, 11:16 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: The old Bengals.com unmoderated PnR board was not a pleasant place, and a lot of people stayed away.  There was a lot of talk about it being dominated by a few people all on the same side.  I would prefer a moderator.  If none of the suggestions are acceptable, then I say just let Bengalholic pick one.  

No one is going to agree on who should be the moderator here.  Shit, People couldn't even come to an agreement on Matt being the mod.  I say that if adults can't handle themselves like adults and use the report feature for out of control posts, then this sub forum doesn't need to be here anyway.  The only downside is that this forum isn't private like the old one was....I haven't seen an issue with it so far though.

RE: New PnR Moderator - bfine32 - 07-26-2015

I challenge anyone to find me a post where Lucie talked down to anyone even when folks were talking down, insulting him. He seems to always try to make peace. He does this to a fault. Often times he'll be trying to discuss a topic and others will chime in with you don't even know we are making fun of you.

It is not because we agree on things; as we disagree on quite a bit; it's just he is as near the center (I am not a Rand Paul fan) as we have and never attacks the person. Hell he was flat out called a liar and didn't not strike back. I would love to see this forum be a place where personal attacks were not tolerated (that's why we have a smack talk forum); however, I am not above fighting fire with fire.

Folks simply don't want him because they don't agree with his views and no other reason. I have also nominated ZONA for many of the same reasons. Of course either would be want to accept the position.

RE: New PnR Moderator - Bengalholic - 07-26-2015

I just wanted to take a minute to thank Matt for accepting the role as PnR mod in the first place. Honestly, it's a pretty thankless job. When I created the board, members asked for PnR. I wasn't necessarily a fan of the idea, and it was only the willingness of Matt to moderate it, that the section even became a reality.

Now, with Matt stepping down at the end of the month, we have to decide how to proceed with the forum. Do we put another mod in place, or just allow members to report posts or PM admins as we do in all other sections. The staff will be discussing this.

I saw someone suggest that maybe PnR just be done away with. In the very early stages of the board, I might have agreed...because I wasn't its biggest supporter to begin with. But now, the truth is...PnR has become a big part of the board. Only Jungle Noise is more active and prolific in terms of posting.

That also brings me to another point. While I rarely post in PnR, I do go through it a couple times a week. It can absolutely get contentious, personal, and bring out some damn strong feelings in people. But, Jungle Noise tends to be the same way...maybe even worse at times. So, PnR will definitely be staying.

Good choice to keep the forum. It would shut the forums down (at least until football actually starts) if it were removed. Once it was introduced, it was immediately a vital part of the community. When the old boards got rid of it, people quit visiting the boards in favor of message boards that actually had a P&R forum. Eventually, the bengals boards brought them back, due to their popularity and demand. I wouldn't want that to happen here.

If voting, I vote for normal moderation, rather than a dedicated moderator.

RE: New PnR Moderator - treee - 07-26-2015

(07-26-2015, 12:10 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I just wanted to take a minute to thank Matt for accepting the role as PnR mod in the first place. Honestly, it's a pretty thankless job. When I created the board, members asked for PnR. I wasn't necessarily a fan of the idea, and it was only the willingness of Matt to moderate it, that the section even became a reality.

Now, with Matt stepping down at the end of the month, we have to decide how to proceed with the forum. Do we put another mod in place, or just allow members to report posts or PM admins as we do in all other sections. The staff will be discussing this.

I saw someone suggest that maybe PnR just be done away with. In the very early stages of the board, I might have agreed...because I wasn't its biggest supporter to begin with. But now, the truth is...PnR has become a big part of the board. Only Jungle Noise is more active and prolific in terms of posting.

That also brings me to another point. While I rarely post in PnR, I do go through it a couple times a week. It can absolutely get contentious, personal, and bring out some damn strong feelings in people. But, Jungle Noise tends to be the same way...maybe even worse at times. So, PnR will definitely be staying.

Fair enough. I definitely don't think anyone who actually posts in PnR should be allowed to the moderator at this point though. Actually, I'm in favor of not having a mod specifically for PnR.