Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
LOL.. where PC is taking us. - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: LOL.. where PC is taking us. (/Thread-LOL-where-PC-is-taking-us)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

LOL.. where PC is taking us. - TheLeonardLeap - 07-06-2017

Apparently people who can see aren't allowed to play blind characters in Hollywood anymore. It is being compared to black face.

So from now on, only blind people can play blind people, only homeless people can play homeless people, only Jedi can play Jedi, only people with cancer can play people with cancer, only vampires can play vampires, and only straight people can play straight people (sorry Neil Patrick Harris, your immense talent is for gay roles only now).

Funniest bit of this all is this is SJWs turning on Baldwin, who is one of their own. PC culture is turning in on itself as it becomes more absurd.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/alec-baldwin-criticized-for-portraying-blind-man-in-new-film-w491281
Quote:Alec Baldwin's latest critic isn't his usual nemesis Donald Trump; the veteran actor is instead being called out by leading disability advocates for his portrayal of a blind novelist in the upcoming film Blind.

In the movie, due out July 14th, Baldwin plays a man who loses his wife – and his sight – in a car crash. He later starts an affair with a married socialite (Demi Moore) who was forced to read to him as part of her plea bargain for a separate crime.

The Ruderman Family Foundation, an advocacy organization for disability rights, issued a statement to the Los Angeles Times Thursday denouncing the film’s casting.

"Alec Baldwin in Blind is just the latest example of treating disability as a costume," Jay Ruderman, the foundation's president, said in the statement. "We no longer find it acceptable for white actors to portray black characters. Disability as a costume needs to also become universally unacceptable."

The foundation has previously raised concerns with other mainstream movies as well, including last year's Me Before You, in which Sam Claflin, an able-bodied actor, portrayed a paralyzed man.

In July 2016, the foundation released its Ruderman White Paper on Employment of Actors With Disabilities in Television; the findings revealed that though people with disabilities make up nearly 20 percent of the nation's population, about 95 percent of characters with disabilities on TV are played by able-bodied actors.

"This is nothing short of a social justice issue where a marginalized group of people is not given the right to self-representation," the study reads. "We must change this inequality through more inclusive casting, through the use of Computer Graphics (CG) to create ability, through the media holding the industry responsible, through the avoidance of stereotypical stories, and ultimately through the telling of stories that depict people with disabilities without focusing on the disability. We also provide a list of resources where actors with disabilities can be proactively reached."

RE: LOL.. where PC is taking us. - Yojimbo - 07-06-2017

Good thing Patrick Stewart already retired from making X-men movies.

RE: LOL.. where PC is taking us. - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-06-2017

(07-06-2017, 10:58 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Apparently people who can see aren't allowed to play blind characters in Hollywood anymore. It is being compared to black face.

So from now on, only blind people can play blind people, only homeless people can play homeless people, only Jedi can play Jedi, only people with cancer can play people with cancer, only vampires can play vampires, and only straight people can play straight people (sorry Neil Patrick Harris, your immense talent is for gay roles only now).

Funniest bit of this all is this is SJWs turning on Baldwin, who is one of their own. PC culture is turning in on itself as it becomes more absurd.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/alec-baldwin-criticized-for-portraying-blind-man-in-new-film-w491281

The left has gone form admirable causes, like equal rights for minorities, women and homosexuals, to batshit insane crusades like; "no gender", no dissenting opinions and this kind of crap.  Every movement eventually becomes self destructive, it's just the left's turn.

RE: LOL.. where PC is taking us. - GMDino - 07-06-2017

(07-06-2017, 10:58 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Apparently people who can see aren't allowed to play blind characters in Hollywood anymore. It is being compared to black face.

Fighting for those with disabilities to get more roles.

They...are...monsters!

I mean a white sheet??!!  Why not a black sheet?!?!  Amiright?!?!

It's getting to the point you can't even use slurs and derogatory comments around one of "them"!

Dang PC'ers!!!11!!1!!

Mellow

RE: LOL.. where PC is taking us. - Vas Deferens - 07-06-2017

Grasping at straws. I'd think you would want a real virgin birth mother to play Mary. WHY CANT A VIRGIN MOTHER PLAY MARY!

RE: LOL.. where PC is taking us. - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-07-2017

(07-06-2017, 11:50 PM)GMDino Wrote: Fighting for those with disabilities to get more roles.

They...are...monsters!

I mean a white sheet??!!  Why not a black sheet?!?!  Amiright?!?!

It's getting to the point you can't even use slurs and derogatory comments around one of "them"!

Dang PC'ers!!!11!!1!!

Mellow

You don't get it.

(07-06-2017, 11:55 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Grasping at straws.   I'd think you would want a real virgin birth mother to play Mary.  WHY CANT A VIRGIN MOTHER PLAY MARY!

You get it.

RE: LOL.. where PC is taking us. - Millhouse - 07-07-2017

I dont see what the big deal is.

RE: LOL.. where PC is taking us. - michaelsean - 07-07-2017

Sorry, but if a producer can get Alec Baldwin or Tom Cruise or Tom Hanks etc to play a part , then that's who is getting the part.

RE: LOL.. where PC is taking us. - GMDino - 07-07-2017

(07-07-2017, 12:38 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You don't get it.

You get it.

The title of the thread is "LOL...where PC is taking us"

The post is about an organization that wants people with true disabilities to get roles going to actors without disabilities.

So I used sarcasm to point out it has almost nothing to do with being "PC" nor where "it is taking us" because it seemed to be making a point that it's better to be non-PC.

ThumbsUp

RE: LOL.. where PC is taking us. - Belsnickel - 07-07-2017

(07-06-2017, 11:39 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The left has gone form admirable causes, like equal rights for minorities, women and homosexuals, to batshit insane crusades like; "no gender", no dissenting opinions and this kind of crap.  Every movement eventually becomes self destructive, it's just the left's turn.

Well, the issue is that they have to do stuff like this to make up for the neoliberalism they are embracing. Because it is very economically conservative compared to the liberals of the first half of the twentieth century, they feel like they need to make up for it with this kind of stuff. I mean, I get their argument, but how many blind actors are there in the industry with the talent for a role like that? This isn't like when we give a white person a spray tan to play an Asian or something.

RE: LOL.. where PC is taking us. - GMDino - 07-07-2017

(07-07-2017, 10:06 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, the issue is that they have to do stuff like this to make up for the neoliberalism they are embracing. Because it is very economically conservative compared to the liberals of the first half of the twentieth century, they feel like they need to make up for it with this kind of stuff. I mean, I get their argument, but how many blind actors are there in the industry with the talent for a role like that? This isn't like when we give a white person a spray tan to play an Asian or something.

[Image: Starring_Mickey_Rooney.jpg]

RE: LOL.. where PC is taking us. - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-07-2017

(07-07-2017, 10:06 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, the issue is that they have to do stuff like this to make up for the neoliberalism they are embracing. Because it is very economically conservative compared to the liberals of the first half of the twentieth century, they feel like they need to make up for it with this kind of stuff. I mean, I get their argument, but how many blind actors are there in the industry with the talent for a role like that? This isn't like when we give a white person a spray tan to play an Asian or something.

I get what you're saying but I don't think it's even that well thought out.  I think it's the logical extension of the gains that have been made socially in the past ten or so years.  We've seen rapid social change, initially for the better.  However, the eventual lack of push back has led to more extreme behavior as it inevitably does.  Saying someone isn't born with a sex is the height of absurdity, the fact that the idea is entertained by more than the radical fringe shows just how extreme many on the left have become.  People patrolling Evergreen college with baseball bats to enforce their SJW agenda is another extreme example.  The ironic thing is that this behavior is self destructive in the extreme, it turns off 100 people for every one it recruits, myself included.  I would, and did, proudly identify with the progressive agenda on social issues until rather recently.  Now I'd rather drink bleach than do so.

The ultimate expression of the upshot of this inane behavior can be seen in who was elected president.

RE: LOL.. where PC is taking us. - Millhouse - 07-07-2017

(07-07-2017, 09:06 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Sorry, but if a producer can get Alec Baldwin or Tom Cruise or Tom Hanks etc to play a part  , then that's who is getting the part.

Tom Hanks did an amazing job in the movie 'Philadelphia' playing a gay man dying from aids. So good that it brought a lot of people to their senses on other Americans struggles when it came to being gay and having aids as well. If the producers at the time would have wanted a gay actor to play the part, chances are the movie would not have been as powerful as it was.

RE: LOL.. where PC is taking us. - Belsnickel - 07-07-2017

(07-07-2017, 11:22 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I get what you're saying but I don't think it's even that well thought out.  I think it's the logical extension of the gains that have been made socially in the past ten or so years.  We've seen rapid social change, initially for the better.  However, the eventual lack of push back has led to more extreme behavior as it inevitably does.  Saying someone isn't born with a sex is the height of absurdity, the fact that the idea is entertained by more than the radical fringe shows just how extreme many on the left have become.  People patrolling Evergreen college with baseball bats to enforce their SJW agenda is another extreme example.  The ironic thing is that this behavior is self destructive in the extreme, it turns off 100 people for every one it recruits, myself included.  I would, and did, proudly identify with the progressive agenda on social issues until rather recently.  Now I'd rather drink bleach than do so.

The ultimate expression of the upshot of this inane behavior can be seen in who was elected president.

I know, and I was really (half) joking. I mean, it's true that the current form of liberalism is economically conservative, but most of them would never admit that so they aren't consciously compensating. It just baffles me the lack of common sense we see with some of it. Like in the examples you mention, the news story about the baby recently. The recent story about the baby is one of those where we need to recognize that sex and gender are two different things, stop conflating them, and realize there is a legitimate reason to put the sex of a baby on a birth certificate because at that point it is a matter of biology and not a social construct.

I also just don't condone violence of any sort, so any of that is just ridiculous. Utilizing violence is anti-democracy, doesn't matter what your ideology is. If you are utilizing violence to push an agenda then you don't fit in with any democratic ideology.

RE: LOL.. where PC is taking us. - Dill - 07-07-2017

That's a broad "They" there, Bels. In what sense do progressives who push for greater visibility for disabled and minorities' rights embrace neoliberalism?

How do we get from "criticized" to "aren't allowed?
  Have Hollywood studios agreed on a policy?

One group advocating for a specific disability has turned the world upside down and become all-that-is-wrong with PC.

(07-07-2017, 12:55 AM)Millhouse Wrote: I dont see what the big deal is.

You don't see a big deal that an advocacy group advocated or

you don't see a big deal that an sighted actor played a blind character?

RE: LOL.. where PC is taking us. - xxlt - 07-07-2017

What, am I the only one on the Ruderman Family Foundation daily email list?

They speak for me.

In fact, I never make a decision without consulting with them first.

For example, here's me at breakfast today:

Server: Sir, would you like something to drink?

Me: Um, hang on (pulls out cell phone, hits speed dial 1, waits for Ruderman Family Foundation to pick up) Yeah, um what are we supposed to be drinking at breakfast today? Coffee and a glass of apple juice. Got it. I'm at the place on 38th Avenue, what should I order? The rise and shine with bacon, tomato, and eggs over easy. Got it. Thanks. (Hangs up phone, looks at server) Did you get all that?

Server: I'll get that right in for you honey. Hey, I forgot my phone, after I hang your ticket can I borrow yours to read the daily Ruderman email? I just feel naked - it's 9:30 already and I haven't seen it yet!

Me: I feel your pain, and I got your back toots. I'll pull it up and it will be on the screen when you come back.

That's how I roll. Suck it, Ruderman haters. We're taking over! One. Baldwin. At. A. Time.

Early Cuyler Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(07-06-2017, 11:39 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The left has gone form admirable causes, like equal rights for minorities, women and homosexuals, to batshit insane crusades like; "no gender", no dissenting opinions and this kind of crap.  Every movement eventually becomes self destructive, it's just the left's turn.

Says the man who's mantra is something something not a monolith. Tongue

This man demands to know what you are talking about!

[Image: Blog%2BArt%2B-%2BBreakfast%2Bat%2BTiffany%2527s13.jpg]