Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
O line struggeling - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: O line struggeling (/Thread-O-line-struggeling)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: O line struggeling - Essex Johnson - 08-07-2017

(08-06-2017, 11:11 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: I also know someone who was at a coaches clinic with Alexander teaching......he wasn't impressed with Alexander.......

Well we all have our own opinion ( for example i was not that impressed with Holtz at a clinic), i gained from the session and came away impressed... 

my main problem is many act like he is not a NFL caliber coach and like they have the ability to judge a NFL coach... bottom line he might eventually have two players he coached for the majority of their career that could end up in the  HOF in Anderson and Whitworth.. that says something , 

It is not like he was just gifted into Bengals coaching, he coached at two stellar colleges in Penn State and Michigan, then  was on jets staff before Cincinnati and there are multiple articles from various professional sources that have been written about Alexander and his coaching.  

We all can be fans and be unhappy with our line play from last year and might want to have a different coach that is fine but to demean him as not a NFL coach holds no weight and is outside of reality. 

RE: O line struggeling - RASCAL - 08-07-2017

(08-06-2017, 07:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think people often underestimate what a very good back can do for an offensive line. Too many people think there has to be decent holes there for a back to gain yards. That's not the case with elite backs
Theres only 1 "elite back" that ever created his own holes as far as I am concerned and he retired after the 98 season. Mr Barry Sanders!

(08-06-2017, 08:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: cough *horseshit* cough, unless they are like Barry Sanders.  Seriously, just how long do you think it will take teams to be onto what the Bengals are trying to sell?  Even Corey Dillon had the advantage of a top notch OL. Even the best athlete is only one missed block from losing a knee. 

The only thing that will make an offense with a poor OL successful is to have superior play at QB, and impeccable play calling by the OC, to keep the defense always guessing what's next.

you just gave away our secret to success!

RE: O line struggeling - rfaulk34 - 08-07-2017

(08-07-2017, 01:27 AM)RASCAL Wrote: Theres only 1 "elite back" that ever created his own holes as far as I am concerned and he retired after the 98 season. Mr Barry Sanders!

Jim Brown, Gayle Sayers, Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson, Curtis Martin, Corey Dillon, LT and many more. 

Great backs are great, not because they had olines that opened gaping holes for them all the time, but because they made people miss one way or another. 

That's the whole point. The Bengals are able to do enough to give a good running back opportunities to make them look better. 

RE: O line struggeling - SHRacerX - 08-07-2017

(08-06-2017, 02:51 PM)Whatever Wrote: Reports out of Jags camp are that Robinson has been getting beaten for sacks by both the starters and backups after being inserted as the starting LT after Albert retired.

It sucks, but this year's OL class was awful.  That's a big reason Whit and Z got the deals they got.  The best ways to help a mediocre OL a QB with a fast release and a great RB, which we now hopefully have both.  

I would still have taken the guy that started at Bama for four years and was dominant over a running back, although I understand it would have taken likely our third rounder to get back in to Rd 1 (plus our second).

Robinson may not have been able to start right away at LT, but he could have been dominant at RG and we all know Ogbuehi is not going to move to guard.  I also believe in the "Bama curse" of a lot of kids in their first year where they were just so beaten up that they either get injured or struggle early on....but I think he will still be a very good LT in the NFL.  Whatever reports we are hearing about him now sound a lot like the first rounder we drafted and has three years in the league!

I hear you about the QB with a fast release and RB, but I would say the outside speed or Ross will be an even bigger asset as it will back off safeties. 

Believe me, I am hoping for the best, but I am worried that even with a full camp, and even with all that time with Jay Glaser, Ced is still not getting it done at all.  Preseason will be a good indicator.

(08-07-2017, 01:53 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Jim Brown, Gayle Sayers, Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson, Curtis Martin, Corey Dillon, LT and many more. 

Great backs are great, not because they had olines that opened gaping holes for them all the time, but because they made people miss one way or another. 

That's the whole point. The Bengals are able to do enough to give a good running back opportunities to make them look better. 

whoa there young fella, you said ELITE backs, I'll give you Brown and Payton as somewhat elite but the rest of that crew will be long forgotten and soon!  Barry Sanders will NEVER ever fade away because he made his OWN way with a shitty line his entire career! Ask Emmit if you don't believe me!

RE: O line struggeling - ochocincos - 08-07-2017

(08-07-2017, 10:51 AM)RASCAL Wrote: whoa there young fella, you said ELITE backs, I'll give you Brown and Payton as somewhat elite but the rest of that crew will be long forgotten and soon!  Barry Sanders will NEVER ever fade away because he made his OWN way with a shitty line his entire career! Ask Emmit if you don't believe me!

Eric Dickerson will be forgotten? I think not.

O line struggeling - BenZoo2 - 08-07-2017

(08-07-2017, 10:51 AM)RASCAL Wrote: whoa there young fella, you said ELITE backs, I'll give you Brown and Payton as somewhat elite but the rest of that crew will be long forgotten and soon!  Barry Sanders will NEVER ever fade away because he made his OWN way with a shitty line his entire career! Ask Emmit if you don't believe me!

Brown and Payton as somewhat elite? Credibility lost, game over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: O line struggeling - GodFather - 08-07-2017

Don't worry guys, the OL is just saving their super duper awesome secret blocks for week 1. They don't want to give anything away so its all Hushville now...

This OL is going to be the tops of the NFL!

RE: O line struggeling - Socal Bengals fan - 08-07-2017

Is this the year Piano man gets kicked to the curb? Or after our oline struggles again he will make his yearly excuses and get a 5 year extension with Lewis.

RE: O line struggeling - 3wt - 08-07-2017

(08-05-2017, 03:05 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Will reserve judgement until the pre-season game.  That should give some indication as to whether or not the d-line is just that good this year or if the o-line really going to be bad.

Just a prayer really...   but I sure am praying it!

RE: O line struggeling - Whatever - 08-07-2017

(08-07-2017, 08:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I would still have taken the guy that started at Bama for four years and was dominant over a running back, although I understand it would have taken likely our third rounder to get back in to Rd 1 (plus our second).

Robinson may not have been able to start right away at LT, but he could have been dominant at RG and we all know Ogbuehi is not going to move to guard.  I also believe in the "Bama curse" of a lot of kids in their first year where they were just so beaten up that they either get injured or struggle early on....but I think he will still be a very good LT in the NFL.  Whatever reports we are hearing about him now sound a lot like the first rounder we drafted and has three years in the league!

I hear you about the QB with a fast release and RB, but I would say the outside speed or Ross will be an even bigger asset as it will back off safeties. 

Believe me, I am hoping for the best, but I am worried that even with a full camp, and even with all that time with Jay Glaser, Ced is still not getting it done at all.  Preseason will be a good indicator.

There's simply no way I take that trade.  Mixon is a Top 10-15 talent in any draft class.  Willis was widely seen as a late 1st, early 2nd DE in a stacked pass rusher class.  They had a 2nd round grade on Malone, who they took with the extra 4th they got for trading down in 2.  No way I trade those three for a 2nd round talent that got pushed up draft boards because of a horrible class.

What we know is that Robinson was working as the #2 LT in Jax until Albert retired.  They either didn't see the potential or need to move him to RG.  I think it's a huge stretch to say he could have come in and been an immediate high caliber starter in a position he never played before on a side he never played before as a rookie.  

As far as Cam and Og as LT's, why would you make that trade and sacrifice a RB, DE, and WR with starter potential for a LT that isn't any better than the one you have?  And Robinson will struggle even more trying to learn RG and LT at the NFL level at the same time.  If he's not an improvement, help other positions and improve the OL next year.

RE: O line struggeling - Au165 - 08-07-2017

(08-06-2017, 01:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh, but that's simply not true at all.  I've seen at least on poster that keeps digging up some ancient SI article that sings the praises of Paul Alexander.  Don't you know, Piano Man is a living legend.  Ninja

He was a speaker at the C.O.O.L. clinic last year and many times before that as well. That is the most prestigious O line clinic in the world. I know a person who spent 6 or 7 years in the NFL for various teams (none the Bengals) who said Paul Alexander is one of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL. He said his schemes are actually used by offensive lines all across the NFL and College Football.

I trust this person's insight because obviously the NFL experience, but he is still very much in the loop with current NFL teams and players. As to why our line struggled, maybe it's players, maybe it's an issue of execution, maybe it's teaching, or maybe it's a combination of everything?

RE: O line struggeling - OrangeLacroix - 08-07-2017

Good thing they took a mediocre kicker, who can't even out leg the current guy on the team, in the 5th round instead of Rod. Johnson or Issac Asiata

Lol. Elliot wont even make the team. Bullock is way better

RE: O line struggeling - McC - 08-07-2017

(08-07-2017, 01:09 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Good thing they took a mediocre kicker, who can't even out leg the current guy on the team, in the 5th round instead of Rod. Johnson or Issac Asiata

Lol.  Elliot wont even make the team.  Bullock is way better
Well, you do love it when Bengals fail so you must be happy.   When you're not trolling here, who do you root for?

This is a joke, right?

RE: O line struggeling - Shake n Blake - 08-07-2017

We gave up the 2nd most sacks in the NFL last year.
The run game was 23rd in YPC.
We let our 2 best linemen sign elsewhere.
Our best signing was a guy we let go 2 years ago. A guy that's struggles with injury and weight...and is switching positions.
We're replacing an all-time Bengals great with what looked like an all-time Bengals bust.
Our best linemen are probably Clint Boling and Russell Bodine.
We kept the guy responsible for this mess.

What did people think was going to happen? Confused

RE: O line struggeling - OrangeLacroix - 08-07-2017

(08-07-2017, 01:12 PM)McC Wrote: Well, you do love it when Bengals fail so you must be happy.   When you're not trolling here, who do you root for?

Yeah, the last 26 years have been a blast. you got it! haha

(08-07-2017, 01:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We gave up the 2nd most sacks in the NFL last year.
The run game was 23rd in YPC.
We let our 2 best linemen sign elsewhere.
Our best signing was a guy we let go 2 years ago. A guy that's struggles with injury and weight...and is switching positions.
We're replacing an all-time Bengals great with what looked like an all-time Bengals bust.
Our best linemen are probably Clint Boling and Russell Bodine.

What did people think was going to happen? Confused

Wow.  All hope is lost.  Why bother to play it out?

RE: O line struggeling - Shake n Blake - 08-07-2017

(08-07-2017, 12:01 PM)GodFather Wrote: Don't worry guys, the OL is just saving their super duper awesome secret blocks for week 1. They don't want to give anything away so its all Hushville now...

This OL is going to be the tops of the NFL!

Thanks for the input, Denny.  :andy: