Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
O line struggeling - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: O line struggeling (/Thread-O-line-struggeling)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: O line struggeling - Shake n Blake - 08-07-2017

(08-07-2017, 01:25 PM)McC Wrote: Wow.  All hope is lost.  Why bother to play it out?

Didn't say that, now did I?

But do you disagree with anything I said?

RE: O line struggeling - OrangeLacroix - 08-07-2017

(08-07-2017, 01:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We gave up the 2nd most sacks in the NFL last year.
The run game was 23rd in YPC.
We let our 2 best linemen sign elsewhere.
Our best signing was a guy we let go 2 years ago. A guy that's struggles with injury and weight...and is switching positions.
We're replacing an all-time Bengals great with what looked like an all-time Bengals bust.
Our best linemen are probably Clint Boling and Russell Bodine.
We kept the guy responsible for this mess.

What did people think was going to happen? Confused

Magic!  

(08-07-2017, 01:29 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Magic!  

Poof! This line can make a QB disappear.

[Image: 15GIANTS-master768.jpg]

RE: O line struggeling - McC - 08-07-2017

The OLine bounced back and had a better day Saturday. Funny how no one is mentioning that. Wouldn't want to harm the OLine suxx narrative.

Lotta people around here who see the future.

(08-07-2017, 01:33 PM)McC Wrote: The OLine bounced back and had a better day Saturday.  Funny how no one is mentioning that.  Wouldn't want to harm the OLine suxx narrative.

Lotta people around here who see the future.

I bet after a week, you thought the REds starting rotation was amazing too. 

lol

RE: O line struggeling - Synric - 08-07-2017

(08-07-2017, 01:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Didn't say that, now did I?

But do you disagree with anything I said?

Lol pretty much accurate. I just don't think Whit and Zeitler were let go so much as Big Z getting damn near the same money Pittsburgh is offering Bell and Whit just moving on because he wanted too.

RE: O line struggeling - Wyche'sWarrior - 08-07-2017

(08-05-2017, 07:27 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: With all the awesome players at the skill positions it really does suck that our offense may only produce at a mediocre level because of our o line.

Unless our o line miraculous develops over the next month, I'm beginning to think this will be our achilles heel all season. I hope I'm wrong.

Corner!  Where ya been man?  Welcome back.... ThumbsUp

RE: O line struggeling - THE PISTONS - 08-07-2017

(08-06-2017, 06:00 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Our Oline was the worst it's been in a while last year and we lose our 2 best starters from it and replace them with two, at best, huge question marks.

This nails it.

I think we all agree that Whitworth and Zeitler got overpaid...but it seems like people are just writing off their losses as not hurting the overall product because we wouldn't have paid them what they got. You generally get worse when you lose 2 of your best players.

The Bengals WANTED to keep Whitworth. He just surprised them by taking the Rams offer...so they've been forced to scramble. They knew that Whit and Smith were going to leave so they tried to draft their replacements...they just whiffed...atleast so far.

It's going to take Andre Smith coming in and being atleast a good Guard to have an average line I'd say. I'd say the best we can hope for with Ced is him being an average tackle. Bodine will need to improve to be considered average. Boling is above average. Hopefully Fisher can improve to be considered above average too.

The playcalling is going to have to be spot on to gameplan around the deficiencies we have on the line.

We've been spoiled by how good our offensive line has been the past 10-15 years. Some teams get their QB sacked 50+ times a year.

(08-07-2017, 01:38 PM)Synric Wrote: Lol pretty much accurate. I just don't think Whit and Zeitler were let go so much as Big Z getting damn near the same money Pittsburgh is offering Bell and Whit just moving on because he wanted too.

I was fine with letting those guys go. I was not fine with how lax they were about replacing them...or even finding a reliable insurance policy for Ogbuehi.

They're going all-in on him again, after he sunk our season almost single-handedly last year. Seems moronic.

RE: O line struggeling - THE PISTONS - 08-07-2017

(08-07-2017, 01:38 PM)Synric Wrote: Lol pretty much accurate. I just don't think Whit and Zeitler were let go so much as Big Z getting damn near the same money Pittsburgh is offering Bell and Whit just moving on because he wanted too.

The Bengals absolutely wanted Whitworth and thought he was coming back.

I think they knew Z was going to get offered a huge deal and knew he was leaving. The question becomes if they could have extended him sooner or tagged him and tried to work out a trade or even let him play a year on the tag while we developed another Guard.

O line struggeling - BenZoo2 - 08-07-2017

(08-07-2017, 01:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was fine with letting those guys go. I was not fine with how lax they were about replacing them...or even finding a reliable insurance policy for Ogbuehi.

They're going all-in on him again, after he sunk our season almost single-handedly last year. Seems moronic.

Bingo! I think they expected whit back but they weren't matching the rams offer. The lack of effort bringing in an experienced back up frustrates me. Cyrus koundijou (sp?) or Austin Howard to name a couple. I think they must think what we have is at least as good. I hope so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: O line struggeling - rfaulk34 - 08-07-2017

(08-07-2017, 10:51 AM)RASCAL Wrote: whoa there young fella, you said ELITE backs, I'll give you Brown and Payton as somewhat elite but the rest of that crew will be long forgotten and soon!  Barry Sanders will NEVER ever fade away because he made his OWN way with a shitty line his entire career! Ask Emmit if you don't believe me!

I also said "very good" before that. Which is the verbiage i've used overall. Elite was the wrong word to use in that sentence since it is so easy to focus on and divert from the conversation of what a good back can do for an average/bad line. 

Those other backs will not fade from anyone's memory. Martin and Dillon aren't on the tip of anyone's tongue when discussing top notch running backs in NFL history, but they were still very good in their day. 

I don't need to ask Emmitt Smith about Sanders. I know he's a top 3 in NFL history. 

The overall focus should be on what a good back, re:the names i listed and others, can do for an offensive line.

It still holds to be seen what Mixon can do but Burkhead ran behind the same guys last year and was able to produce pretty well...better than anyone else that tried for the Bengals. 

Nearly 50 million of salary invested in the Starting QB/RB's/WRs and TE - 49 mill to be exact.

5 Starters on the O Line - 13.9 Million

RE: O line struggeling - Synric - 08-07-2017

(08-07-2017, 01:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was fine with letting those guys go. I was not fine with how lax they were about replacing them...or even finding a reliable insurance policy for Ogbuehi.

Agreed they are gambling big time. I think we all knew they were going to move forward with Ogbuehi, but as you said you'd think they would have brought in someone that could even backup the LT other than the starting RT. 

Even though I think ML and PA are maligned alot I think they are betting with their jobs this year

(08-07-2017, 10:51 AM)RASCAL Wrote: whoa there young fella, you said ELITE backs, I'll give you Brown and Payton as somewhat elite but the rest of that crew will be long forgotten and soon!  Barry Sanders will NEVER ever fade away because he made his OWN way with a shitty line his entire career! Ask Emmit if you don't believe me!

Sayers was a once in a lifetime talent.....much like Barry Sanders.  Bad knee injury and shoddy medicine cut him down too soon.

(08-07-2017, 12:04 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Is this the year Piano man gets kicked to the curb?  Or after our oline struggles again he will make his yearly excuses and get a 5 year extension with Lewis.

He'll be here long after Marv packs up.....

(08-07-2017, 01:56 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Nearly 50 million of salary invested in the Starting QB/RB's/WRs and TE  - 49 mill to be exact.

Tells the tale right there.......Mikey doesn't "value" those positions.....

RE: O line struggeling - Joelist - 08-07-2017

(08-07-2017, 01:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was fine with letting those guys go. I was not fine with how lax they were about replacing them...or even finding a reliable insurance policy for Ogbuehi.

I'd say it was Og and Nugent who sank us last year. Nuge directly cost us three games with his kicking after all.

(08-07-2017, 01:48 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Bingo!  I think they expected whit back but they weren't matching the rams offer.  The lack of effort bringing in an experienced back up frustrates me.  Cyrus koundijou (sp?) or Austin Howard to name a couple.  I think they must think what we have is at least as good.  I hope so

That's the thing though. If they were so sold on Ogbuehi, why were they trying to bring back Whit initially? Og was drafted to replace Whit.

To me, it looked like they wanted Whit back because they're not sold, and when he signed elsewhere, they just said "f it".

(08-07-2017, 01:56 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Nearly 50 million of salary invested in the Starting QB/RB's/WRs and TE  - 49 mill to be exact.

Sounds like the Mike Brown of the 90's...

(08-07-2017, 02:00 PM)Synric Wrote: Agreed they are gambling big time. I think we all knew they were going to move forward with Ogbuehi, but as you said you'd think they would have brought in someone that could even backup the LT other than the starting RT. 

Even though I think ML and PA are maligned alot I think they are betting with their jobs this year

Seeing how Mike did not extend Marv...and he did not seriously invest in o-line in free agency, it does seem like he's saying "you wanted these guys in the draft, now make it work or you (Marv and Paul A) are out". That may be wishful thinking on my part though.

RE: O line struggeling - Whatever - 08-07-2017

(08-07-2017, 02:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: Tells the tale right there.......Mikey doesn't "value" those positions.....

And 2 years ago, when we still had Whit and Andre on hefty contracts, 1st round deals on Og and Z, and guys like MLJ, Gio, and Sami on rookie deals, the opposite would be true.  We still didn't win a playoff game trying to build up the OL as the strength of the team